• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

Segments going clockwise are presumably:

Wii
PS3
PS4
WIU
XBO
3DS
PSV

I'd measure it but I uninstalled ImageJ.

Close, if you see where the line segment bends the one slice on the top is slightly larger so that can't be 360. I think it looks more like.

Wii
WiiU
PS3
PS4
XBO
3DS
PSV

Busaiku

Segments going clockwise are presumably:

Wii
PS3
PS4
WIU
XBO
3DS
PSV

I.e. last gen grouped, current gen consoles grouped, current gen handhelds grouped.

I'd measure it but I uninstalled ImageJ.

I would swap Wii U and 360.
oPDJOvY.png

You're not looking at the whole picture, people just bought consoles faster this time around. We can't declare this quite yet, current consoles are still tracking ahead of 360 and PS3.

Yeah, you need to keep in mind that-

A) PS4 and XBO have been less supply-constrained at launch than the PS2, 360, or Wii
B) PS4 and XBO had pretty damn good launch window libraries for non-Nintendo consoles, mostly due to cross-gen titles
C) Adjusted for inflation PS4 was pretty cheap for a launch console
D) The previous generation went on unusually long, making demand for new consoles higher than usual

The logical result of all of this is that PS4/XBone sales were much more front-loaded this time around- people who usually waited for the following spring to buy a a new console instead went ahead and got one in fall/winter.

I think it's silly to proclaim the death of the industry when PS4 is currently the fastest-selling console in history and XBO is currently the second fastest-selling console in history. If their LTD sales both fall behind Wii and PS2 or they continue to sell <200k in sept-dec, then you should start worrying.

phanphare

Banned
oh damn people are measuring the angles haha

unless somebody gets it down Vita, 360, and Wii U seem pretty interchangeable. Wii U is 60k, Vita is 56k, and the 360 is >50k

Can someone clarify something for me?

How much of a difference potentially does the fact that Watch_Dogs came out on 27/5 make to bundle sales on PS4? When did this NPD window end?

Will next month be skewed by the bundles that didn't make it?

This NPD: May 4th through May 31st (4 weeks).

Next NPD: June 1st through July 5th (5 weeks).

Can someone clarify something for me?

How much of a difference potentially does the fact that Watch_Dogs came out on 27/5 make to bundle sales on PS4? When did this NPD window end?

Will next month be skewed by the bundles that didn't make it?

I feel like generally they'd be frontloaded so it shouldn't change much.

Total new home consoles sales this month didn't even exceed Wii's number alone in May 2007. Add in the other two and you have total market contraction on the order of around 200k units.

It's only going to get worse from here on out. By next year PS3 was seeing a resurgence, Wii was really taking off, and 360 was finding a strong second place position.

The Wii and handled market is dead that the truth , i more concern about X1 and PS4 market and they seem to be ahead for now .

Get your protractors out people! Should be able to figure out the sales per degree and work everything out from there!

...I'm too lazy though, sorry.

Takao

Banned
Because it coincided with a hardware redesign and a significant price drop?

There was no price drop. Sony didn't advertise the 2K bundle either. Real reason is that Vita stock was low for ages before the bundle and MK8 was only out for 2 days.

fritolay

My nephew spent birthday money on 100 dollar iTunes card. Spent all of it on Clash of Clans. He chose this over getting new console, game, or Sony/MS cards. It's because that is what his friends play. Money is going elsewhere this gen.

My point was that this console generation is not going to have the same amount of consoles sold as the last generation, not even close. As such how can anyone consider it a victory or success? I have always said the console market is going to fall in on itself, contract, take your pick, but the point is it will not sell nearly as many units as last generation which can't be seen by anyone, not 3rd parties, console makers, anyone, as a good thing.

And nothing in that statement is false for the simple fact that the WiiU is not close to the wii, and XB1 seems like it will end up selling less than the 360, the 3ds fell WAY behind the DS and the Vita WAY behind the PSP. The only console which saw a increase was the PS4 over the PS3.

And with this generation not going 8 years how will the PS4 carry the entire industry on its back? You expect it to sell 150/200 million consoles in 5 years?

Yeah, one can easily infer this generation won't sell as much as the previous generation based on current hardware sales. I also think the rising popularity of mobile games, pc games, and lack of innovation for consoles is a factor why this console generation won't sell as much.

I have mixed feelings on these console sales. PS4 sales are OK but everything else is bad. I have a feeling that summer NPDs aren't going to be pretty.

The Last of Us may surprise people with its sales. I think those who didn't own a PS3 who bought a PS4 will be there day 1. I also think it will give a decent boost to console sales that month. Plenty of people who didn't get a chance to play are talking about it on the PS4. It has more buzz than some here think.

I imagine this helps validate Sony's strategy of exclusive content and associating themselves with big games. It'll probably pay off big with Destiny, too.

So if that Wii U portion represents 64k the X1 might be somewhere in the 75k region or so? OUCH

So judging by size the PS4 is around 200k again? Is my guessing right?

Someone use that Wii u sold knowledge to break down the rest!

The Last of Us may surprise people with its sales. I think those who didn't own a PS3 who bought a PS4 will be there day 1. I also think it will give a decent boost to console sales that month. Plenty of people who didn't get a chance to play are talking about it on the PS4. It has more buzz than some here think.

Watch Dogs and The Show did almost nothing to move consoles, a remaster of a one year old game will have almost no effect. The game will sell decently no doubt, but systems? No way

ryan299

Yeah, one can easily infer this generation won't sell as much as the previous generation based on current hardware sales. I also think the rising popularity of mobile games, pc games, and lack of innovation for consoles is a factor why this console generation won't sell as much.

Totally agree. Also think this generation won't be as long as last generation. Technology is advancing too quickly, and the consoles will become obsolete quicker than last generation.

I laughed when some analysts suggested that the console market would double in size this generation.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I imagine this helps validate Sony's strategy of exclusive content and associating themselves with big games. It'll probably pay off big with Destiny, too.

I'd imagine even more so. The game is already associated with the PS4 thanks to the reveals plus the Alpha and then the Beta first, also a system bundle with a limited edition color and then the typical exclusive content stuff as well.

This is why first parties have to take on the risk and strive to be different with their software offerings. I think Sony is starting to go down the right path by bringing variety to their console but they still have more to do with big budget games when it comes to making something different and expanding their appeal. I think they have played it very safe with the larger titles and that is fine up to a point. They just need to bring some different ideas and some different genres into the mix.

njean777

Watch Dogs and The Show did almost nothing to move consoles, a remaster of a one year old game will have almost no effect. The game will sell decently no doubt, but systems? No way

Watch Dogs came out like a week before the numbers, so we still do not know if it pushed any consoles. We will not know until next month.

Edit: NVM

Good numbers for PS4. I'm not an expert on sales, but why is the general consensus that 60k for the WiiU is awful? Are people expecting it to start hitting 100k+ numbers?

Maybe. We are all just guessing here but I think many who wanted Watch Dogs had already bought the console prior similar to Titanfall's situation.

Wii shouldn't really be included in the analysis, as that market was something completely foreign to either the 360 or PS3 audiences, largely, and has not been recaptured by the Wii U. They have moved on to mobile platforms.

I don't see how it's going to get "much worse" from here on out, when Microsoft has already taken some necessary steps to improve their situation in the US, and there's a huge amount of titles releasing in the fall that will usher in more current-gen adoption.

Then you have the impact of normal price drops, improving lineups, and last-gen die off.

There could ultimately end up being a slight contraction for the 360 + PS3 market, but current sales numbers (which have dwarfed the previous gen's early adoption numbers), don't indicate that at all yet.
That market was key to the PS2 selling 155 million units. Wii just had a laser focus on them. This is why separating it completely is folly. I mean... was there any console in the PS2 generation that was completely analogous to Wii? No, but they couldn't have all been core oriented could they? If they were we already saw a large contraction from the PS2 generation to PS3.

PS2 generation home consoles sold 210 million units. If we exclude Wii we saw a contraction of around 50 million units gen on gen. With Wii the market grew by 50 million units.

Either way the home console market has either already contracted heavily or is gearing up for a contraction.

Top Bottom