• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

AniHawk

While true, Reggie actually said in a venturebeat interview (which apparently everyone ignored some posts I and one other fellow had), since the release of MK8, the system has been selling daily 4x the amount it sold the two weeks before its release. That's far more telling to me imo.

that would indicate really high sales. like upwards of 200k for june or more, easily.

FZZ

Banned
Was the Reggie comment about June or total? It makes a huge difference if he meant total.

It was about sales pre launch of MK8 to how they increased 4x the following week. The following week takes place in June. So we have yet to see the full extent of what he was talking about.

kyser73

So there are 75k people out there who really wanted that Kinect bundle at the higher price.

Wonder how much RAGE will follow when they see the unbundled price?

So there are 75k people out there who really wanted that Kinect bundle at the higher price.

Wonder how much RAGE will follow when they see the unbundled price?

If you are interested in or even think there is a chance you might ever by a kinect game the bundles are way better value

Hero

everyone needs a revision and a price drop and cheaper software and more software.

under 200k for the top-selling platform in the us with the next best-selling platform under 100k is horrifically bad. boy do i hate being right all the time.

But next-gen (current gen) is healthy. We can't make predictions at all based on just 7 months of data.

if you take the 20ish million core nintendo that your adding to the ps2 generation but not ps3 it looks more even and I would contest your point from the previous post about the competition coming mostly from outside the traditional market. PC has continued to grow throughout the generation targeting mostly the same poeple as consoles.

This is why I find the entire argument asinine.

If we get to pull those 20 million "core" Nintendo owners out to prove their is no contraction then I get to pull those 80 million "casual" PS2 owners out showing a massive increase in core gamers between gens.

You can argue market preferences all you want, because there was a stark difference between what Wii owners and PS360 owners bought but to write off that entire market?

It ends with about half a billion addendum's. There's at least 12 million that bought "core" oriented titles like Smash and Galaxy on Wii. Do we add them to the PS3/360 tally? How about those that bought Guitar Hero and RockBand on PS3/360? Do we toss them into the Wii "casual" tally?

I agree with your second point though. Which still bodes ill for the home console market this generation.

slapnuts

That is terrible for EVERONE. I cane see both PS4 and XBO never reaching PS3 and 360.

I guess you have to consider the state of economies now compared to years of 05/06. Correct me i am wrong but i believe the economies of today are still struggling overall compared to when last gen launched. I could be wrong about this but this is my feeling at least for USA because right now there are far more families on Food Stamps than ever before...to me that is tall tale sign of the current state of economy in USA. I dont trust much of what the mainstream news says because one month we are doing great and the next month unemployment rate is skyrocketing again..its a back and forth thing it seems when compared to the mid 2000s when the last gen consoles came out things seemed much more stable. People tend to overlook the big picture of things like that.

Richie

SW LTD
BD ~ 258k
YOSHI ~ 256k
KIRBY ~ 138k
FFHD vita ~ 75k

Amusing to see Bravely Default and Yoshi practically tied, considering the critical reception of each one. Props for Kirby doing well, also!

Cream, you're a hero and a scholar. Any chance of Wii U software LTD numbers? (Albeit my main interest lies with TW101)

Hero

SW LTD
BD ~ 258k
YOSHI ~ 256k
KIRBY ~ 138k
FFHD vita ~ 75k

Bravely Default showing some pretty decent sales LTD. Surprised Yoshi is that high too. Kirby should be up in that range by July NPD.

Not bad for FF HD. What are sales on PS3 for comparison?

You can't predict a generation, but you can establish some preliminary trends with that much data

I was being somewhat sarcastic since it's Anihawk. :) But agreed. Think we can definitely see the downward trend though.

Cornbread78

There´s no way BL2 2 years old port to sell the system. Oh....

The funny part is that it was only 4k difference from the WiiU which had MK8 bundle.

Many retail places did not have any Vita's left in stock while they waited for the BL2 bundles to come in. My WalMart only got 2 bundles, sold them both in a couple days, but haven't gotten any since...

StevieP

Banned
And it very succinctly says "Oh shit!"

In multiple ways. Even for the ps4. But there are many that still have their heads in the sand. One can only hope that software makers start diversifying but the big publishers are almost solely focused on the young male when it comes to home consoles. Comic booking

AniHawk

wii u ytd: 309,000
wii u jan-may 2013: 260,000

vita ytd: ~114,000-120,000
vita jan-may 2013: 137,000
vita feb-may 2012: 558,000 (launch was in february)

vita may actually beat last year's sales in a month or two.

wii u ytd: 309,000
wii u jan-may 2013: 260,000

vita ytd: ~114,000-120,000
vita jan-may 2013: 137,000
vita feb-may 2012: 558,000 (launch was in february)

vita may actually beat last year's sales in a month or two.

Well considering May makes up about half of Vita's YTD I'm not sure how positive a thing that would even be

X1 cannot have another sub 100k month. It's already close to 600k behind PS4.

Let's see if that "price drop" helps in June.

The gap will be much smaller, but I suspect PS4 will still lead. The Kinectless SKU will at best stop the bleeding, but it would need to sell more than PS4 for a long time for the gap to close. Seems unlikely for the short-term.

Toki767

Final Fantasy X HD Vita sales seem decent when you consider a large portion of Vita game sales are digital. Probably over 100K on Vita total by now if not close to it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Disappointed that Mario Golf WT bombed, hopefully it'll sell steadily because I loved the demo and I'll buy it when I'm finished slimming down a bit of my 3DS's backlog.

Top Bottom