• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

slapnuts

Someone should really double check my numbers, my protractor melted together with a triangle so I wasn't able to be really accurate.

a44387c1a4.jpg

Oh, so I wasn't too far off.

lol i sat and starred at that picture of yours for a while and i have no idea why..it grabbed me for some bizarre reason lol

Minions

I wonder if the pre-annoucement about the cheaper kinect-less Xbox was to build up 2 months worth of demand into one month and potentially taking the #1 spot for June? Seems logical to me. Anyone planning to the the Xbox One likely waited until June to pick it up..... I guess only time will tell. I can't see any other reason to nerf a months worth of sales by announcing it ahead of time.

Console's sold looks pretty anemic. Hopefully that changes.... but then again the summer is always a little weak. The end of year should hopefully make a big difference in the fall/winter. Should be interesting to see what happens in China/Japan when the Xbox launches. (or PS4 in China)

Dire

No real surprises this month. Onto June!

This month was bad but it was very predictable and I don't think really should change anybody's opinion of the state of the industry one way or the other. Next month is different. It's the first month where sales traditionally start to see some major growth. The magnitude of that growth is going to say a lot about the overall health and, in my opinion, the longview of the the console industry.

I'd start the lines around 150k WiiU/175k XBone/350k PS4.

The gap will be much smaller, but I suspect PS4 will still lead. The Kinectless SKU will at best stop the bleeding, but it would need to sell more than PS4 for a long time for the gap to close. Seems unlikely for the short-term.
Need to see what the $399 models does consistently. but it really does seem like my prediction last year of Sony having at least a million unit lead over One in MS largest market is going to happen.

edit: By the end of their first year was my end point.

With new titles showing 80% next generation adoption and console sales plateauing quickly from early adoption front loading, I really don't see much growth in the current hardware sales trend. I actually see it only getting worse, holiday months aside. Everyone who is buying software already has the new console of their choice...

This month was bad but it was very predictable and I don't think really should change anybody's opinion of the state of the industry one way or the other. Next month is different. It's the first month where sales traditionally start to see some major growth. The magnitude of that growth is going to say a lot about the overall health and, in my opinion, the longview of the the console industry.

I agree, next month is going to be interesting.

StevieP

Banned
With new titles showing 80% next generation adoption and console sales plateauing quickly from early adoption front loading, I really don't see much growth in the current hardware sales trend. I actually see it only getting worse, holiday months aside. Everyone who is buying software already has the new console of their choice...

Yup. Frightening. You're probably going to start to see more aggressive bundles toward the holidays as well.

This is why I find the entire argument asinine.

If we get to pull those 20 million "core" Nintendo owners out to prove their is no contraction then I get to pull those 80 million "casual" PS2 owners out showing a massive increase in core gamers between gens.

You can argue market preferences all you want, because there was a stark difference between what Wii owners and PS360 owners bought but to write off that entire market?

It ends with about half a billion addendum's. There's at least 12 million that bought "core" oriented titles like Smash and Galaxy on Wii. Do we add them to the PS3/360 tally? How about those that bought Guitar Hero and RockBand on PS3/360? Do we toss them into the Wii "casual" tally?

I agree with your second point though. Which still bodes ill for the home console market this generation.

I don't know how people see things but this is how i do , i don't care about consoles market per say i care about the software it allow devs to make .
If tomorrow everyone one moves to PC and i can still get my AAA games i not to bother if the consoles market die ( Sony and MS will just have make games for PC if that happens ) .

And when those number don't happen you say the market dead , why in heavens name would Wii U sell that much or any system for that matter .

HariKari

X1 cannot have another sub 100k month. It's already close to 600k behind PS4.

Let's see if that "price drop" helps in June.

Anecdotal, but the Titanfall bundle is outselling the new $399 SKU on Amazon. $450 with a game and Kinect was probably the sweet spot. Going head to head without kinect @ 399 doesn't seem like a great idea.

creamsugar

DKC: 258k
LRFF: PS3 135k, 360 71k
PVZGW: ONE 257k, 360 150k
FFHD PS3: 259k
SP: 360 279k, PS3 228k
TF: ONE 969k, 360 559k
DS2: 360 212k PS3 209k
SS: 617k
MGSDEMO: total 357k, PS4>50%

N.Domixis

Banned
So if in June ps4 sells 200K again xbox one needs to sell +118K from what it got this month just to tie? If true that gap isn't closing anytime soon.

And it very succinctly says "Oh shit!"

Why? PS4 is selling way better than xbox 360 and Xbox One is selling better than PS3. The Wii thing we were already talking about but the biggest impact for that would be software which the vast majority of was nintendo. The plastic instruments died long ago and fitness soon followed Ubisoft now has more than just AC selling to the 'hd' audience so the drop in Just Dance isnt as big a deal (though profit margins/roi is a thing).

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Nah. If that were to happen the bone would be... boned.
Half PS4's numbers and marginally better than WiiU's with basically almost 2 months worth of sales with the big re-launch and a new $100 cheaper sku? It'd be a huge failure, not gonna happen.

They'll either take the top spot or be head to head with the PS4 with the WiiU also getting a big boost, probably hovering around 150/200k.

I don't know how people see things but this is how i do , i don't care about consoles market per say i care about the software it allow devs to make .
If tomorrow everyone one moves to PC and i can still get my AAA games i not to bother if the consoles market die ( Sony and MS will just have make games for PC if that happens ) .
Laudable stance I'd say.

I've been predominantly a console gamer since I started on the Coleco. So, while I'd just move to whatever platform has the games, there's a part of me that loves the simplicity of a box dedicated to gaming.

Numbers for next month that ideally 50% think are too high and 50% think are too low!

You're way too high. PS4 isn't hitting 350K anytime soon. Maybe the white Destiny bundle can get it there for September; otherwise, it will wait until November. Wii U isn't hitting 150K, either. Xbox One... maybe a temporary bump to 175, so I guess 1 out of 3 isn't bad.

slapnuts

Low numbers across the board. I thought Watch Dogs was going to push some hardware, and Wii U only got a tiny ass bump from MK8, even though it was only two days.

75K for Xbone is pretty damn low. What do you guys think the over under is for Xbone right now? 50 million? 40 million?

Right now the new generation feels too similar to the old. Same franchises, graphics barely any different except for resolution. As well as software gaps. Feels like an extension of last gen software which was already stale as hell and that is why I think numbers are so low right now.
You're being hasty..very hasty wih this statement. We are 7 months or so from he launch of these consoles and you are already writing them off as a mere extension of last gen and claiming that the only improvements graphically are just resolutions but yet we can go to any previous generation and compare all 1 year games to 2nd and 3rd year games and its literally night and day difference in each previous generation. IF this is what you really believe..you are going to be eating a huge pile of crow starting later this year when you see DC and sunset and the 1st qtr of 2015...those types of games surely are a generation visual ahead of the best of last gen had to offer.

As for sales..like some have said, again, its way too early to tell. Lets not forget the economy is simply not what it was last gen when those consoles launched and factor in a semi-weak 1st year library of games for the new systems vs last gen...i would say things seem right on par at what most are expecting.

Why? PS4 is selling way better than xbox 360 and Xbox One is selling better than PS3. The Wii thing we were already talking about but the biggest impact for that would be software which the vast majority of was nintendo. The plastic instruments died long ago and fitness soon followed Ubisoft now has more than just AC selling to the 'hd' audience so the drop in Just Dance isnt as big a deal (though profit margins/roi is a thing).
Thinking of first May's PS4 is under 360's first May, and well over PS3's. One is just well under both.

Numbers for next month that ideally 50% think are too high and 50% think are too low!

How did you get to those numbers if you don't mind me asking?

This month

PS4 -> 48.5k / week
XB1 -> 19k / week
WiU -> 15k / week

You're suggesting

PS4 -> 70k / week -> 45% MOM increase for weekly sales
XB1 -> 35k / week -> 84% MOM increase for weekly sales
WiU -> 30k / week -> 100% MOM increase for weekly sales

I really don't think the average change from May -> June is +76%

MilesTeg

Banned

Next month sales will be lower for every console except for probably Wii U and Xbox One. Sales won't start picking up again until late August and September. That is pretty much how it works I think.

rokkerkory

Wishful thinking at this point but X1 at any price should come with a game.

F5 or TF or Ryse or whatever

$399 sku with Halo MCC would do wonders in Nov though

Neff

Wii U should see much better performance post-E3 where people wanting to get in on Mario Kart discovered that Nintendo didn't announce a price cut/remodel/successor, as many were fearing.

Also Nintendo E3 momentum/media buzz generally.

Giggzy

Yeah, that's my interpretation of the market as well. It's going to be interesting to say the least....

Josh7289

PS4's doing very well.

Apparently XBO improved a lot in June.

Good to see Wii U and Vita back from the dead. I have a feeling only the Wii U will be able to maintain better sales than in the past, though.

And it's concerning to see Nintendo's handheld continue to only sell 'decently', at least by Nintendo handheld standards. It's sustainable and certainly not bad, but it's no DS. I wonder if a dedicated game machine could even become another DS in today's world, though.

Top Bottom