• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

I AM THE MATHEMATICS AND SCIENCE GODDESS.

USING THE LAWS OF SCIENCE AND MATHEMATICS, I SHALL PROVE THE FOLLOWING FORMULAS:

Wii U + XBOX family < PS4

Wii U + Xbox One + Xbox 360 < PS4

61K + 77K + 57K < 197K

195K < 197K

PROVEN BY THE LAWS OF SCIENCE AND MATHEMATICS

Q.E.D.

200k > PS4 > 100k > XBO > Wii U > 360 > 50k > PS3 > Wii

200K > (197K PS4) > 100K > (77K XBO) > (61K Wii U) > (57K 360) > 50K > PS3 > Wii

PROVEN BY THE LAWS OF SCIENCE AND MATHEMATICS

Q.E.D.

From the NPD archives
May 2014: Nintendo 3DS: 82K~100K (I'm taking a liberal range since we haven't figured out what it is yet.)
May 2013: Nintendo 3DS: 225K (45.2%) (of total console sales in May 2013)
May 2012: Nintendo 3DS: 113.5K (+17%) (from MoM)[Comes from Anita Fraizer statement below and last year's result.]
May 2011: Nintendo 3DS: 97K

It took 4 years but the 3DS is roughly where it started out as....

IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE.

THE BEGINNING OF THE 3DS IS ALSO THE END.

AND NOW I RISE TO THE HEAVENS.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
i wonder what are the xbox one and ps4 numbers are. I hope we get something this month because I want to see how much of an increase the xbox one without Kinect will be.

We already have numbers, just look for SwiftDeath's summary post.

For a new page and further opportunities to be corrected by the NPD queen

Updated with more accurate hardware numbers
probably

-----------------------------
Hardware Monthly Sales -> Note: These are subject to change slightly
PS4 ~ 197k
3DS ~ 97K
XB1 ~ 77k
Wii U ~ 61k
360 ~ 57k
PSV ~ 56k
PS3 ~ 36k
Wii ~ 11k
Mario Kart 8 ~ 377k, 6.6% from bundles
Watch Dogs Sales Breakdown

PS4 ~ 46%
XB1 ~ 29%
360 ~ 14%
PS3 ~ 11%

Total > 1.25M
Minecraft PS3 89k
Wolfenstein New Order

PS4 ~ 41%
XB1 ~ 38%
360 ~ 13%
PS3 ~ 8%
BL2 Vita Standalone ~27k
LTD's

DKC: Tropical Freeze [WiU] 258k
Lightening Returns FF [PS3] 135k [360] 71k
PVZ: Garden Warfare [XB1] 257k [360] 150k
FF10HD [PS3] 259k
South Park SoT [360] 279k [PS3] 228k
Titanfall [XB1] 969k [360] 559k
Dark Souls 2 [360] 212k [PS3] 209k
Infamous SS [PS4] 617k
MGSV: Ground Zeroes [Total] 357k [PS4] >179k

Bravely Default [3DS] ~258k
Yoshi's New Island [3DS] ~256k
Kirby Triple Deluxe [3DS] ~138k
FF10HD [Vita] ~75k

For a new page

Updated with even MORE accurate hardware numbers

Edit: See HERE for most up-to-date summary

Hardware Monthly Sales
PS4 ~ 197k
3DS ~ 97k
XB1 ~ 77k
Wii U ~ 61k
360 ~ 57k
PSV ~ 56k
PS3 ~ 36k
Wii ~ 11k
Mario Kart 8 ~ 377k, 6.6% from bundles
Watch Dogs Sales Breakdown

PS4 ~ 46%
XB1 ~ 29%
360 ~ 14%
PS3 ~ 11%

Total > 1.25M
Minecraft PS3 89k
Wolfenstein New Order

PS4 ~ 41%
XB1 ~ 38%
360 ~ 13%
PS3 ~ 8%
BL2 Vita Standalone ~27k
LTD's

DKC: Tropical Freeze [WiU] 258k
Lightening Returns FF [PS3] 135k [360] 71k
PVZ: Garden Warfare [XB1] 257k [360] 150k
FF10HD [PS3] 259k
South Park SoT [360] 279k [PS3] 228k
Titanfall [XB1] 969k [360] 559k
Dark Souls 2 [360] 212k [PS3] 209k
Infamous SS [PS4] 617k
MGSV: Ground Zeroes [Total] 357k [PS4] >179k

Bravely Default [3DS] ~258k
Yoshi's New Island [3DS] ~256k
Kirby Triple Deluxe [3DS] ~138k
FF10HD [Vita] ~75k

Either someone edited the post or its another one (seen a 'quoted for future reference' for GTA V in another thread...) but here is what I was talking about:

"someone edited the post".

Right.

wash_dogs did better than expected, so did MLB. Why are you calling me out?
I stand by the rest of my comments - console gaming isn't looking super rosey despite that.
EDIT: and by MLB 'doing ok' its doing ok by the standards of what looks like an overall low selling software chart.

AniHawk

So with June being a 5 week month... could both the 3DS and Wii U top 100K next month? I actually could see Tomodachi Life & June in general pushing hardware a little bit so that WoW the 3DS stays about the same at this month at worst putting it over 100K.

I seriously do think the Wii U will at least do 100K next month. It just needs to have a 25% WoW which MK8's continued sales and their pretty good E3 showing should provide imo. (Just was at Target and apparently their MK8 bundles have been sold out constantly throughout the area according to an employee. I only brought this up because he just got a call asking about it =). It got worse after the E3 week apparently too. Purely anecdotal but still).

wii u sales are going to be hard to gauge. it did 15k/week this month, up from the 12k/week in april, but 41% of those sales came from two days of mario kart 8 bundle sales (and who knows how many other wii us were sold on just those two days).

it's important because wii u sales were apparently up 4.1x the daily amount prior to mk8's launch. the most that could be would come from an average of the 27 other days of sales, spread across 36k units, which is roughly 1,333 units a day. so the upper-limit for this amount would be 5,465 units a day, for 38,257 a week. if reggie was looking at the most recent sales data as of that interview, then that's 10 days of sales for 54,650 units- again, an upper-limit for the month of june at that point in time. that might be a pretty hard sell with still a few weeks to go and interest waning, especially considering it's the most optimistic outlook.

unfortunately i cannot find the 'daily' quote that was used here.

the quote i was able to find mentions sales of week after the game's release, indicating june 1-7, the week before e3. 4.1x that amount would be a minimum of about 102,000 units for the first week of june. that would frankly be insane, and at that point, even 200,000 for the month of june wouldn't be out of order.

i can't find out if the quote came from some sort of video interview, so i don't kno which one is correct.

FDC1

Wow, less than 200k for PS4 with Watch Dogs bundle? I really didn't expect that, it seems the hype cooled down.

Happy for Vita

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Ubi picked wisely with their partner, I'm thinking Insomniac didn't for the second gen in a row.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Seems like the XBO is still declining larger in sales vs the PS4....MS has to be in full panic mode right now. XBO sales and PS4 sales somewhere in this NPD thread last month:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819775&page=50

PS4...might as well say its holding steady.

"someone edited the post".

Right.

wash_dogs did better than expected, so did MLB. Why are you calling me out?
I stand by the rest of my comments - console gaming isn't looking super rosey despite that.
EDIT: and by MLB 'doing ok' its doing ok by the standards of what looks like an overall low selling software chart.

I mean someone edited the 'quoted for future reference' response to this. This and a GTA V PS4 port post stood out to me, thats all. Either that or I found the wrong post. Either way, some, maybe many underestimated The Show selling well.

Tripon

IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE.

THE BEGINNING OF THE 3DS IS ALSO THE END.

AND NOW I RISE TO THE HEAVENS.

Noted.

Updated numbers:

From the NPD archives
May 2014: Nintendo 3DS: 97K (From Aquamarine)
May 2013: Nintendo 3DS: 113.5K (NPD added that the 3DS was basically flat to last year, which was a 113.5K result. Presumably it was up slightly as it was over the Xbox 360's 114K.)
May 2012: Nintendo 3DS: 113.5K (+17%) (from MoM)[Comes from Anita Fraizer statement below and last year's result.]
May 2011: Nintendo 3DS: 97K

I was going to post that! No way!

I think we all get a little silly late on NPD nights. :p

Because it's so late, nobody cares about this thread anymore.

It's moving super slowly and all of the SHEEPLE from the other, LAME sites have all gone to sleep.

And guess what? They won't come back. They have a treasure trove of numbers they won't even discover because they just check it once at 7:30 PM and call it a night.

donny2112, make sure you add Chartzzzzz to the prediction tally this month. They failed quite hard as usual.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I like graphs. Do we have a graph in the making for 8th gen consoles? :)

fedexpeon

Banned
Ubi picked wisely with their partner, I'm thinking Insomniac didn't for the second gen in a row.

Yeah, I feel bad for them too. ND under Sony became the best studio...and Insomniac, eh...

Anyway, X1 couldn't even break out of the 100k range in NA?
The 2.56x gap is pretty bad since WW numbers belong to Sony.

Seems like the XBO is still declining larger in sales vs the PS4....MS has to be in full panic mode right now. XBO sales and PS4 sales somewhere in this NPD thread last month:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=819775&page=50

PS4...might as well say its holding steady.

For reference

Code:
MOM Changes

Platform Jan     Feb    Mar   Apr  May   | Average
--------------------------------------------------
PS4     -60.6% -1.10% +10.8% -33%  -2.5% | -17.29%
XB1     -80.6%  +83%  -3.6%  -54%  -33%  | -17.6%

I was going to post that! No way!

I think we all get a little silly late on NPD nights. :p

It's like christmas. A sad depressing christmas that has less presents YOY

Drop the price on everything, horrendous numbers for all except a mediocre PS4 result.

The PS4 number isn't mediocre, it's good, but not great either. You are right though, there definitely needs to be some serious price cutting going on (Wii U, Vita, PS3, 360) The Xbox One at the very least needs a pack in game, or possibly another $50 price drop before the end of the year

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
So BD did about 90k over the past two months
Yoshi did about 6k in May unless it isn't including the March bundles numbers
Kirby did 97k in May
FFX Vita did about 25k
There was no bundle in march, just a Yoshi-themed 3DS. So YNI did about 31k in May.

Will do. Hope they haven't updated, yet...

Use this:

2vMjt9F.png

50K off Vita, PS4, and Wii U.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
wii u sales are going to be hard to gauge. it did 15k/week this month, up from the 12k/week in april, but 41% of those sales came from two days of mario kart 8 bundle sales (and who knows how many other wii us were sold on just those two days).

it's important because wii u sales were apparently up 4.1x the daily amount prior to mk8's launch. the most that could be would come from an average of the 27 other days of sales, spread across 36k units, which is roughly 1,333 units a day. so the upper-limit for this amount would be 5,465 units a day, for 38,257 a week. if reggie was looking at the most recent sales data as of that interview, then that's 10 days of sales for 54,650 units- again, an upper-limit for the month of june at that point in time. that might be a pretty hard sell with still a few weeks to go and interest waning, especially considering it's the most optimistic outlook.

unfortunately i cannot find the 'daily' quote that was used here.

the quote i was able to find mentions sales of week after the game's release, indicating june 1-7, the week before e3. 4.1x that amount would be a minimum of about 102,000 units for the first week of june. that would frankly be insane, and at that point, even 200,000 for the month of june wouldn't be out of order.

i can't find out if the quote came from some sort of video interview, so i don't kno which one is correct.

This is the article I was referring to: http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/13/r...t-nintendo-is-doing-for-a-comeback-interview/

Reggie's quote: We announced not just that we&#8217;ve sold 1.2 million units on a global basis, but we announced to the financial community here in the United States that Mario Kart 8 has increased the sell-through of the Wii U hardware business by a factor of four. In the two weeks prior to the launch, versus what we&#8217;ve seen now following the launch, we&#8217;re selling at a daily rate four times higher than where we were before.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Get back to me when Sony wins over 2 years in a row straight of NPD numbers.

Hell, I'm just glad Sony is announcing NPD numbers now, and that the Sony fan is excited for NPD numbers these days as well!

Dude everyone knew since April that May numbers for XB1 would be shit, why so defensive?

EDIT: Nevermind, just noticed he banned.

Top Bottom