• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

spekkeh

Banned
Use this:

2vMjt9F.png

50K off Vita, PS4, and Wii U.

Dat Wii U-turn.

Actually yes... The people who by PlayStation consoles and the people who buy Xbox consoles are actually slightly different in terms of taste because of exclusive games from consoles past. For example, because Final Fantasy VII was such a massive hit that it put JRPGs on the map, PlayStation fans generally buy consoles for JRPGs and that ends up showing when comparing sales between the PS3 version and the 360 version of a game in that genre. In addition, PlayStation platforms are pretty much assured the genre. Conversely, because Halo 1 was such a massive hit on the original Xbox put FPS games on the map, Xbox fans generally buy consoles for FPS games. Xbox platforms are assured at least Halo as an exclusive, even if everything else sells on both systems. To put it in perspective, this is also why Nintendo does better with family-friendly games and platformers... Basically, each platform has cultivated certain genres because of their first-party games or exclusive third-party games which mark the lines for fans of those genres even in an era where every third-party is multiplatform.

Nintendo: Platformers, Party Games, Local Multiplayer
Sony: JRPGs, Fighters, Single Player
Microsoft: FPS, WRPGs, Online Multiplayer

One can see that whenever a certain console is successful, its particular style becomes more prevalent while competitors' styles fade into the background, but the styles each company has were pretty much defined by the PS2/GC/Xbox era and have not changed all that much since then.

Would've agree with you before, but that's not true now, at least re: PS4/XB1. AFAIK Ghosts has been selling better on PS4 than on XB1. So if MS loses the shooter crowd they won't be left with much unless they can bulk up their exclusives list pretty significantly or somehow get down to an insanely low price.

NPD doesn't publicly release anything besides a top ten all-formats chart.

The chart has only been posted to show how wrong they are.

This is a summary of the info we have (from various generous gaffers) that SwiftDeath made.

Damn SwitfDeath's post should be edited into the OP then. It's very nice and helpful.

Bundy

Banned
I don't think it's that, I think they're into another nightmare, which is that now they're at price parity with a console that's getting all of the best versions of every multiplatform game. MS really needed to go into Beast Mode with the exclusives this year if they were going to overcome that hurdle. But it's too late now, and in 2015 Sony's big exclusives are going to start hitting (The Order, Uncharted)

>:-(

uGQlb4f.gif

Longsword

there wasn't any

Conversely though January, February, March and April 2013 had better release scedules than the corresponding 2014 months

Then perhaps might be worthwhile to combine 2014 Jan-June and compare it to 2013 Jan-June to see which way the market is going? Comparing blockbuster-filled month to a dry month does not mean much.

Then perhaps might be worthwhile to combine 2014 Jan-June and compare it to 2013 Jan-June to see which way the market is going? Comparing blockbuster-filled month to a dry month does not mean much.

Best comparison is yearly but even then the release of some games result in a much better performance: GTA.

Poor sales all around. PS4 still leading and holding steady. Hopefully June will provide some respithe from the monotony, but with no major game releases I don't see much in the way of a recovery outside of the 5 week month and summer holiday boosts. I don't think the Kinect-less SKU is going to do very well, it hasn't exactly lit up any online rankings and in the most analogous market (UK) there was no mention of it this week by UKIE as a special event like a system seller or a price cut that boosts hardware which points to weak sales.

Last year in general had a lot more software and just bigger software.

Code:
$M	2013 ($M)	2014 ($M)
Jan	373		224
Feb	352		318
Mar	555		406
Apr	254		228
May	175		274
YTD	1709		1450
Console new physical software sales from VentureBeat.

Axass

LTD's

DKC: Tropical Freeze [WiU] 258k
Lightening Returns FF [PS3] 135k [360] 71k
PVZ: Garden Warfare [XB1] 257k [360] 150k
FF10HD [PS3] 259k
South Park SoT [360] 279k [PS3] 228k
Titanfall [XB1] 969k [360] 559k
Dark Souls 2 [360] 212k [PS3] 209k
Infamous SS [PS4] 617k
MGSV: Ground Zeroes [Total] 357k [PS4] >179k

Bravely Default [3DS] ~258k
Yoshi's New Island [3DS] ~256k
Kirby Triple Deluxe [3DS] ~138k
FF10HD [Vita] ~75k

How can this happen? So unjust... ;_;

Game Guru

Would've agree with you before, but that's not true now, at least re: PS4/XB1. AFAIK Ghosts has been selling better on PS4 than on XB1. So if MS loses the shooter crowd they won't be left with much unless they can bulk up their exclusives list pretty significantly or somehow get down to an insanely low price.

It's possible that it is not true now, but that would only be because of two reasons... The first being that third-parties favored Xbox's style last generation given Xbox was the successful system for the longest time outside of the Wii. The second being that third-parties are more likely to port to both systems now than they were with the PS2 and OG Xbox. Thus the PS3's third-party library, having been shared for the most part with 360's, favored Xbox's style.

Even though PS4's absorbed some of the Xbox style, the system still ends up with Fighting Game Guilty Gear Xrd as a PlayStation exclusive and JRPG Final Fantasy being promoted to PlayStation fans over Xbox fans as well as single-player Infamous and Uncharted being made by Sony as PlayStation Franchises.

Poor sales all around. PS4 still leading and holding steady. Hopefully June will provide some respithe from the monotony, but with no major game releases I don't see much in the way of a recovery outside of the 5 week month and summer holiday boosts. I don't think the Kinect-less SKU is going to do very well, it hasn't exactly lit up any online rankings and in the most analogous market (UK) there was no mention of it this week by UKIE as a special event like a system seller or a price cut that boosts hardware which points to weak sales.

I don't get why people assume huge jump in sales from kinectless SKU - even if you don't care about titanfall and kinect $450 for that was miles better deal than $400 for just console.

Xbox needs to reach $300 for non kinect and $400 for kinect SKU to be somewhat atractive.

Considering that only major turnarounds in console history were PS3 and 3DS it should be obvious you can't save machine when all you will to spend on it is spare change.

Longsword

Last year in general had a lot more software and just bigger software.

Code:
$M	2013 ($M)	2014 ($M)
Jan	373		224
Feb	352		318
Mar	555		406
Apr	254		228
May	175		274
YTD	1709		1450
Console new physical software sales from VentureBeat.

Thank you. You might indeed be right: especially if you take into account the rising dev costs, we just might see sales fall a bit simply due fewer big, conservative blockbuster releases where the publishers max out on these huge launches ala Titanfall and Watch Dogs, trying to hog all the money in the market with as few releases as possible to mitigate the risk and the number of shots they need to take.

stryke

Has cream sugar visited us yet?
Do we have unofficial numbers for PS4, X1?

Yeah -

For a new page

Updated with even MORE accurate hardware numbers

-----------------------------
Hardware Monthly Sales
PS4 ~ 197k
3DS ~ 97k
XB1 ~ 77k
Wii U ~ 61k
360 ~ 57k
PSV ~ 56k
PS3 ~ 36k
Wii ~ 11k
Mario Kart 8 ~ 377k, 6.6% from bundles
Watch Dogs Sales Breakdown

PS4 ~ 46%
XB1 ~ 29%
360 ~ 14%
PS3 ~ 11%

Total > 1.25M
Minecraft PS3 89k
Wolfenstein New Order

PS4 ~ 41%
XB1 ~ 38%
360 ~ 13%
PS3 ~ 8%
BL2 Vita Standalone ~27k
LTD's

DKC: Tropical Freeze [WiU] 258k
Lightening Returns FF [PS3] 135k [360] 71k
PVZ: Garden Warfare [XB1] 257k [360] 150k
FF10HD [PS3] 259k
South Park SoT [360] 279k [PS3] 228k
Titanfall [XB1] 969k [360] 559k
Dark Souls 2 [360] 212k [PS3] 209k
Infamous SS [PS4] 617k
MGSV: Ground Zeroes [Total] 357k [PS4] >179k

Bravely Default [3DS] ~258k
Yoshi's New Island [3DS] ~256k
Kirby Triple Deluxe [3DS] ~138k
FF10HD [Vita] ~75k

It's possible that it is not true now, but that would only be because of two reasons... The first being that third-parties favored Xbox's style last generation given Xbox was the successful system for the longest time outside of the Wii. The second being that third-parties are more likely to port to both systems now than they were with the PS2 and OG Xbox. Thus the PS3's third-party library, having been shared for the most part with 360's, favored Xbox's style.

Even though PS4's absorbed some of the Xbox style, the system still ends up with Fighting Game Guilty Gear Xrd as a PlayStation exclusive and JRPG Final Fantasy being promoted to PlayStation fans over Xbox fans as well as single-player Infamous and Uncharted being made by Sony as PlayStation Franchises.

Not to mention Destiny getting the better treatment on PS4, and CoD/Battlefield selling as well or better on PS4.

MS is basically going to have all their eggs in two baskets with the Halo and Gears franchises. Well.... Titanfall will certainly help some too but we won't know to what extent until it has more time under it, not to mention seeing how TF2 does if it's XB1 only and not on 360. Hopefully that'll be enough to carry them with the shooter crowd, but given the continuing dominence (albeit declining maybe) of CoD and BF, not to mention the MASSIVE interest in Destiny (which is catering to PS4), it's looking pretty grim for MS retaining the FPS crown. Especially now that PS4 has better infrastructure for online MP than last gen.

Opiate

This would be counting the Wii as part of the contraction when it was really its own thing. The types of AAA games publishers are releasing wouldn't sell well on the Wii. I'm not able to word my point clearly but I'm sure you understand what I'm trying to say. I think it's better to count total sales for the "industry is contracting" comparisons as PS4 + X1 vs. PS3 + 360.

Using something similar to your prediction, let's say 100 mil for PS4 and 40 mil for X1 so 140 mil vs. 160 mil for last gen (80 mil PS3, 80 mil 360, don't have exact numbers). That's not a big deal imo. For the major third party publishers, not having that 100 mil from Wii isn't going to be a big issue considering the types of games they're developing and putting all their money into. Not having that massive Wii audience isn't going to impact Activision's $500 million investment into Destiny, for example.

I strongly disagree, as this is sort of an attempt to reframe the discussion and make consoles this very specific concept of "basically a Playstation or things that expressly mimic the Playstation."

But even if I were to agree to your premise, in that case, the contraction began last generation, as the PS3+360 has sold less than the PS2+Xbox+GC. The Wii was responsible for virtually all of the growth last generation. Using your definition, the console space has been contracting since ~2005.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
How can this happen? So unjust... ;_;

Look at the install base for each system. There are literally millions more 3DS's out there.

Also, LOL at people saying, "well, let's just ignore Wii sales when looking at industry growth/contraction." That's asinine. It was a console. You have to include those numbers. It was not "its own thing."

todahawk

Does NPD's site not have the breakdown? I'm not kidding I literally cannot access their site at work so I have no idea. Also I can't believe people are quoting VGC in an NPD thread. SMFH

I'm not a huge numbers guy but jesus christ I knew a long time ago that VGC just threw shit together. Aren't they banned anyway?

Just an NB to the above conversation, without getting into the count the Wii/don't count the Wii thing, people tend to ignore that the PS2 basically spanned two generations of console. 16M+ PS2s were sold in the US after the launch of the 360. Globally it was around 55M units shipped during the 7th gen before discontinuation.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just an NB to the above conversation, without getting into the count the Wii/don't count the Wii thing, people tend to ignore that the PS2 basically spanned two generations of console. 16M+ PS2s were sold in the US after the launch of the 360. Globally it was around 55M units shipped during the 7th gen before discontinuation.

Exactly. All of that needs to be included. That also points to a larger contraction this time around.

Opiate

People also tend to forget that last generation was especially long. The PS2/Xbox were the "lead platform" for Sony/MS for a combined 10 years before being replaced and having primary development shifted to new consoles; the PS3/360 were the primary platform for 15. Thus, the PS3/360, combined, had 50% more life as the leading system for their manufacturers.

I think it's reasonable to sort of see these two effects as cancelling each other out (PS2's long tail, PS3/360's much longer time in the sun). As such, I think we can safely say that the console space has been stagnant or contracting since the launch of the Xbox 360, if the Wii is simply removed from the conversation.

Top Bottom