• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

Frillen

Anecdotal reports would suggest that the stock situation is utterly fucked again*. I'd say less than 10k.

*Seems to be backed up by a quick search of US online retailers.

How did Sony manage to fuck up stock the month after its most important Vita month, since pretty much the launch!?

We still have a long way to go before determining how this gen will fall. As I told Opiate last time we have never experienced a console launch like the PS4 and Xbone. There were more consoles made available than ever before, so early adopters bought in earlier than ever before.

For instance lets say there was 5 million people with money ready to put down for a PS4. Does it really look better if it is supply constrained for the first few months and then has a higher per month sales post launch, then if it were to sell the bulk of that 5 million in the first 2 months and then have a lower per month afterwards?

Also I think this gen will be especially gracious to western publishers and Japanese publishers that embrace the western market (in their own unique way hopefully). Some of that has already been proven with some of the sales we have seen thus far. I think not just because of units sold, but also because I think attach rate will be higher as well, a trend we are also already seeing.

jcm

Good morning GAF. Here are some comps. Hopefully this hasn't been posted yet. I haven't been able to read much of the thread. Thanks SwiftDeath for collating the numbers, and KillerMan91 for updating us on the Powerhouse™.

Year Over Year
Code:
           2014  2013  % Change
XB1          77          
360          57   114      -50%
PS4         197         
PS3          36    85      -58%
WIU          61    35       74%
WII          11    36      -69%
3DS          97   114      -15%
NDS                34   
PSV          56    15      273%
PSP                 4     

Family                  
MSFT        134   114       18%
SONY        289   104      178%
NINT        169   219      -23%

HAND        153   167       -8%
CONSOLE     439   270       63%

Gen over Gen
Code:
Console    2014  2007  % Change
360               155   
PS2               188   
WII               338   
PS3                82    
TOTAL       439   763      -42%

Handheld   2014  2008  % Change
NDS               453   
PSP               182   
Total       153   635      -76%

prag16

Banned
How did Sony manage to fuck up stock the month after its most important Vita month, since pretty much the launch!?

They can't force retailers to take inventory. The Vita has sold so poorly for so long, it's possible nobody wanted additional stock initially. Now that is sold okay for a few weeks, maybe they'll take more, but sometimes these things take some time.

Alternatively, again, after the horrific sales, it's hard to entirely fault Sony if they thought a 50-60k shipment would last longer than a few weeks.

Josh7289

Always exciting Powerhouse™ 3DS vs PSP race

Code:
         3DS 2013   PSP 2007   NDS 2007
January      145        211        239
February     189        176        485
March        230        180        509
April        113        183        471
May          114        221        423
June         225        290        561
July         150        214        405
August       130        151        383
September    220        285        496
October      452        286        458
November     770        567       1530
December    1100       1060       2470
            3838       3824       8430

3DS 2014   PSP 2008   NDS 2008
January       97        230        251
February     155        243        587
March        159        297        698
April        106        193        415
May           97        182        452
June                    337        783
July                    222        608
August                  253        518
September               238        537
October                 193        491
November                421       1570
December               1020       3040
             614       3829       9950

Oh... so 3DS is selling awfully in the US. Wow. New handheld soon, eh? They have to do something.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
jJWBYErz6LeVz.png

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Is June a month where consoles sales go up or down traditionally?

Volcane

Must've been a really poor month for XB1.

I wonder if the kinectless system will make much of a difference. The Titanfall bundle was on sale for same price as the kinectless system for a couple of weeks in the UK, but didn't seem to fly out the stores.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
They can't force retailers to take inventory. The Vita has sold so poorly for so long, it's possible nobody wanted additional stock initially. Now that is sold okay for a few weeks, maybe they'll take more, but sometimes these things take some time.

Alternatively, again, after the horrific sales, it's hard to entirely fault Sony if they thought a 50-60k shipment would last longer than a few weeks.

Right. Same thing with the Wii U. Nintendo has a huge problem restoring confidence from retailers.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
PS4 v.s. One v.s. Wii U on Amazon.com

As of June 17th, 2014 - 14:25 GMT

Mario Kart 8 ($48.75) - 1st

Destiny
PS4 ($59.96) - 5th
One ($59.96) - 19th

PS4 ($399) - 6th

Halo: The Master Chief Collection ($59.96) - 15th

UFC
PS4 ($59.99) - 17th
One ($59.99) - 38th

Watch Dogs
PS4 ($58.82) - 23rd (Tomodachi Life - 20th)
One ($59.71) - 82nd

Super Mario 3D World ($49.86) - 30th

FIFA 14
PS4 ($42.70) - 32nd
One ($37.99; sold by third party) - 64th

PS TV ($99.99) - 35th

Call of Duty: Ghosts
One ($27.99; sold by third party) - 43rd
PS4 ($39.99) - 72nd

Xbox One with Kinect + Titanfall - 45th

Hyrule Warriors ($59.99) - 46th

One without Kinect ($399) - 49th

The Last of Us: Remastered ($59.96) - 50th

Assassin's Creed Unity
PS4 ($59.96) - 54th
One ($59.96) - 120th

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
PS4 ($42.70) - 55th
One ($31.99; sold by third party) - 83rd

Wii U + NSMBU & NSLU ($315; only 1 left in stock; sold by third party) - 68th

Grand Theft Auto V
PS4 ($59.96) - 75th
One ($59.96) - 314th

Battlefield 4
PS4 ($42.78) - 80th
One ($36.99; sold by third party) - 100th

Far Cry 4
PS4 ($59.99) - 87th
One ($59.99) - 316th

Titanfall ($44.94) - 92nd

inFAMOUS: Second Son Standard Edition ($46.38) - 95th

The Legend of Zelda ($59.99) - 96th

ZombiU ($13.40) - 98th

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Right. Same thing with the Wii U. Nintendo has a huge problem restoring confidence from retailers.

I feel similarly with these systems, consumers become a problem.

If you hear for quite a while that a system was a failure on google news or whatever, and then you see a small store presence befit a product on its way out, you're probably not eager to go out and buy it.

If you hear for quite a while that a system was a failure on google news or whatever, and then you see a small store presence befit a product on its way out, you're probably not eager to go out and buy it.

This. I don't have any interest in the Wii U until Xenoblade lands and by the time that releases in the states who knows what the retail plans for Wii U will look like.

NolbertoS

Wow, thought NPD was every thursday for some reason. Good for Nintendo getting alot of sales on MK8, they needed it. Anyhody have Xbone hardware numbers yet?? I'm guessing MS is in panic mode now as they're falling further behind. I don't expect a kinectless Xbone will generate sales to keep pace with Sony. Should make for an interesting Black Friday with more price cuts for all consoles. Can't wait :)

schuelma

Yup. MK8 is important to Nintendo IMO in terms of providing a constant retail presence this year.

NotLiquid

I feel like the opposite is the exact reason as to why PS4 is doing as well as it is also. There aren't really that many "must-have/super-sellers" that only it is able to provide but it sells itself with the laser-targeted message behind it. It's already ingrained at this point where you can't see it fall off because the word of mouth is simply that good and no one is ready to question it. It's been a complete snowball effect of good press for Sony.

BlackJace

Self-fulfilling prophecy is a real thing I suppose. Constantly hammering in that something is doomed will see that it really does become doomed in the end :/

BadWolf

Wow, thought NPD was every thursday for some reason. Good for Nintendo getting alot of sales on MK8, they needed it. Anyhody have Xbone hardware numbers yet?? I'm guessing MS is in panic mode now as they're falling further behind. I don't expect a kinectless Xbone will generate sales to keep pace with Sony. Should make for an interesting Black Friday with more price cuts for all consoles. Can't wait :)

Undercutting the PS4 in price is the only option MS has left it seems if June's numbers aren't impressive.

I feel like the opposite is the exact reason as to why PS4 is doing as well as it is also. There aren't really that many "must-have/super-sellers" that only it is able to provide but it sells itself with the laser-targeted message behind it. It's already ingrained at this point where you can't see it fall off because the word of mouth is simply that good and no one is ready to question it. It's been a complete snowball effect of good press for Sony.

Sony has handled the slow release schedule well IMO. They are keeping that snowball rolling with things like Infamous, MLB, Watch Dogs promo, Indies like Transistor, Destiny Alpha, Destiny Special Edition Console, etc. And 2015 is shaping up to be an Avalanche for them.

...During the Xbox One's price cut month when a slice of the Wii U Mario Kart sales are already account for?

I know its crazy I just got a feeling in my tummy Nirolak and it hasn't failed me yet!

Except last month and um the month before that.

My friends honestly believe Destiny is a exclusive game to PS4. Your right it definitely makes a impact.

Interfectum

Sony has handled the slow release schedule well IMO. They are keeping that snowball rolling with things like Infamous, MLB, Watch Dogs promo, Indies like Transistor, Destiny Alpha, Destiny Special Edition Console, etc. And 2015 is shaping up to be an Avalanche for them.

Yup. On PS4 it seems like something is going on every week, big or small, you have some forward momentum.

Sendou

They are keeping the snowball rolling with the competition failing. Not with some mastermind release schedule. 2015 will be avalanche for pretty much everyone if you're talking about game releases. That's what every year is before those years actually start and things start to get delayed.

schuelma

I think in the end it was pretty simple- there was a ton of up front demand for a new HD successor after the prolonged generation. Microsoft screwed up, Sony didn't, and captured the mindshare immediately and hasn't let it go. More powerful and cheaper wins out every time.

prag16

Banned

*snip*

I'm surprised they've kept MK8 at that price for so long. It'll probably stay number 1 as long as it's at that price in the immediate future. If it goes back up $10 it could fall out of the top 10 after a couple days.

Also, the Wii U at 68th from a 3rd party seller... I could be wrong, but I thought it was around the same rank a few days ago with that same seller shown at the same price. If so, it means not very many units need to be sold to hold positions in the bottom half of the top 100.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think in the end it was pretty simple- there was a ton of up front demand for a new HD successor after the prolonged generation. Microsoft screwed up, Sony didn't, and captured the mindshare immediately and hasn't let it go. More powerful and cheaper wins out every time.
Yeah, I feel they largely won on being the default choice to play major multiplat games much more so than how they handled their exclusive line-up.

I expect them to do better this Fall than the Xbox One despite what's really a pretty abysmal showing from a first party game sales potential perspective.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Sales metrics are up across the board for May. Yet I see lots of RIP in peace for video games going on. Is this bizarro world?

callahan09

Neo Member
A 4x increase is a 300% increase, not 400%. Otherwise a 100% increase would mean an increase of a multiple of 1...

People must be careful of the terminology used.

What was the original terminology used? "There was a 4x increase in sales?" If so, then...

A 4x increase is a 400% increase, to my mind.
I interpret that to mean that the *increase* was 4x of the original.

X = 100
4x Increase -> 4*100 = Increase of 400
Y = 100 + 400 = 500

If you intend to state that the new amount is 4x higher than the original amount, that would indeed be a 300% increase, and I would use terminology more like this: "The new amount is 4x higher than the original amount".

X = 100
4x Higher -> 4*100 = New Amount of 400
Y = 400

A lot of the times, these kinds of "this percent increase" or "that times this" etc. are states ambiguously or incorrectly because the terminology used doesn't mean what they think it means. I choose to interpret literally, whether that's what they intended or not. I ask again, what was the original terminology used?

I just found the article. He said this: "That has had a 4x lift on our hardware sales."

Lift is a synonym for "increase", so I interpret this as follows: "Hardware sales increased by 4x".

Mathematically:

X = Original = 100
Y = New = Original + Increase
Z = Increase = X * 4 = 100 * 4 = 400
Y = X + Z = 100 + 400 = 500

Which is a 400% increase.

Now, I have no way of knowing if that's what he *meant* or not.

Because if hardware sales were doubled, that would mean 100 became 200, which is a 100% increase, otherwise known as a 1x increase, which I doubt he would have said.

So it's likely he meant "That resulted in a 4x greater sales total for our hardware." Which is a sentence with a different meaning than his original sentence, but which I think we can reasonably infer that he probably meant instead.

Again, it's a semantic problem with the way people use these mathematical terms. There are multiple ways to represent differences in data, and often people use the wrong terminology and end up giving a different impression than what is really intended, and very few people besides me ever seem to actually notice these ambiguities haha.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
GameCube vs PS2.

Yeah, while I feel it was implied, "all other things being generally equal" is of course a pretty important part of this statement.

Like with the PS4 and XB1 you're looking at almost the exact same game library and feature set with only a few oddities setting them apart, and they released at the same time.

Most perceived value wins every time.

Catchall truism, I know.

But basically being cheaper, being more powerful, having all the software, being more available, being available now rather than later. These are things that create value. The PS2 was cheap, powerful for its time, had all the games coming. The 360 was cheaper, had all the same games, came out earlier. The Wii created value in different ways as well as being cheaper; being more accessible, being different in a good way (unique) and novel.

The PS4 is cheaper, more powerful and has all the same software. So it will be interesting going forward when one of these factors is removed.

schuelma

Most perceived value wins every time.

Catchall truism, I know.

But basically being cheaper, being more powerful, having all the software, being more available, being available now rather than later. These are things that create value. The Wii created value in different ways as well as being cheaper; being more accessible, being different in a good way (unique) and novel.

Yeah what you said!

prag16

Banned
Sales metrics are up across the board for May. Yet I see lots of RIP in peace for video games going on. Is this bizarro world?

Year over year the numbers are decent. But gen over gen the numbers are downright horrifying (even if you disregard the Wii). That's why you're seeing that sort of talk.

small44

Well maybe now people will start to take mobile seriously as what is killing the handheld market.

Kids love smartphones, and they were a big majority of handheld sales, especially Nintendo devices.

I love my Vita, it's an amazing device but I don't expect Sony to put out another on after the Vita is done. The numbers are just not there anymore.

It all about games if Vita had the same support then PSP i'm sure Vita would be as succesfull as PSP

Raist

Banned
Look at the chart Untalkative_Bunny posted. The console+Handheld market has unquestioningly contracted compared to previous generations.

Nintendo crashed. The other 2 are fine. The 2014 bit is obviously useless.
I also don't see how this shows a collapse of the market between gens since it's mixing gens for the data.

Good morning GAF. Here are some comps. Hopefully this hasn't been posted yet. I haven't been able to read much of the thread. Thanks SwiftDeath for collating the numbers, and KillerMan91 for updating us on the Powerhouse™.

Year Over Year
Code:
           2014  2013  % Change
XB1          77          
360          57   114      -50%
PS4         197         
PS3          36    85      -58%
WIU          61    35       74%
WII          11    36      -69%
3DS          97   114      -15%
NDS                34   
PSV          56    15      273%
PSP                 4     

Family                  
MSFT        134   114       18%
SONY        289   104      178%
NINT        169   219      -23%

HAND        153   167       -8%
CONSOLE     439   270       63%

Gen over Gen
Code:
Console    2014  2007  % Change
360               155   
PS2               188   
WII               338   
PS3                82    
TOTAL       439   763      -42%

Handheld   2014  2008  % Change
NDS               453   
PSP               182   
Total       153   635      -76%

Are these numbers legit?

ReBurn

Gold Member
Look at the chart Untalkative_Bunny posted. The console+Handheld market has unquestioningly contracted compared to previous generations.

I get it, but shouldn't sales contraction be normal and cyclical? The market was pretty well saturated with PS360 due to their longer than normal life, and new hardware is just taking off. Couple that with the worst economic recession in decades during those years and it makes sense that numbers would decline.

I don't know. PS4 and Xbox One jumped out of the gate more aggressively than anything we've seen recently. I think that we've probably hit the bottom of the curve and things are about to start going the other way. But I could be wrong.

lyrick

Mario Kart 8 ($48.75) - 1st

Destiny
PS4 ($59.96) - 5th
One ($59.96) - 19th

PS4 ($399) - 6th

Halo: The Master Chief Collection ($59.96) - 15th

UFC
PS4 ($59.99) - 17th
One ($59.99) - 38th

Watch Dogs
PS4 ($58.82) - 23rd (Tomodachi Life - 20th)
One ($59.71) - 82nd

Super Mario 3D World ($49.86) - 30th

FIFA 14
PS4 ($42.70) - 32nd
One ($37.99; sold by third party) - 64th

PS TV ($99.99) - 35th

Call of Duty: Ghosts
One ($27.99; sold by third party) - 43rd
PS4 ($39.99) - 72nd

Xbox One with Kinect + Titanfall - 45th

Hyrule Warriors ($59.99) - 46th

One without Kinect ($399) - 49th

The Last of Us: Remastered ($59.96) - 50th

Assassin's Creed Unity
PS4 ($59.96) - 54th
One ($59.96) - 120th

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
PS4 ($42.70) - 55th
One ($31.99; sold by third party) - 83rd

Wii U + NSMBU & NSLU ($315; only 1 left in stock; sold by third party) - 68th

Grand Theft Auto V
PS4 ($59.96) - 75th
One ($59.96) - 314th

Battlefield 4
PS4 ($42.78) - 80th
One ($36.99; sold by third party) - 100th

Far Cry 4
PS4 ($59.99) - 87th
One ($59.99) - 316th

Titanfall ($44.94) - 92nd

inFAMOUS: Second Son Standard Edition ($46.38) - 95th

The Legend of Zelda ($59.99) - 96th

ZombiU ($13.40) - 98th

Try not to take the hourly updated Amazon rankings too seriously, as they're calculated goofy as hell and there are a lot of unknowns with the data collected in the rankings.

On the other hand the daily updated yearly top sellers list http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar works just as you think it would.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Try not to take the hourly updated Amazon rankings too seriously, as they're calculated goofy as hell and there are a lot of unknowns with the data collected in the rankings.

On the other hand the daily updated yearly top sellers list http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar works just as you think it would.

While the yearly top sellers show the situation since the beginning of this year, the hourly charts can show recent trends, what's happening right now.

However, don't worry, sir: I'm the first one saying that Amazon charts can give us a look to trends, but not certainties on numbers, and that they still need to be filtered, due to a core (and currently Sony) bias (i.e. core / Sony games doing better on Amazon than in reality). It's a tool that has to be used with caution.

As a Vita owner I'm almost ashamed to ask, but why was it such an important month for the Vita? What came out?

Edit: Never mind, I saw the other thread. Vita 2000 bundle with Borderlands.

Top Bottom