• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

Last month's release of actual numbers was a fluke, not something expected to see again.

Isn't this the first month that Microsoft hasn't released numbers? They didn't even bother spinning it with titans dropped or zombies killed or w.e

Is this some kind of pony reference? I have the feeling this is some kind of pony reference.

I believe the full name of that show is My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Agreed. No matter how amazing it is there's no way it will be accepted. I'm dying to try it but even I don't want to be shut out of the world.
There's not stopping VR now, the tech is mature enough to realize the concept. The market segment for the tech (a portion of console and PC gamers) is high enough to sustain VR for years until it evolves enough to be less intrusive opening the gates for mass market adoption.

Plus it is the easiest way for game developers to make things interesting again withotuh to reinvent the game devloping process they are used to, they just need to tweak. Of course there's a chance for them to experiment new things, but tweaks could be good enough to harvest impressive results.

Tomohawk

Kinect Sports is an MS title meant to try to get the Kinect audience over and it seems to have ultimately failed if sales are any indication. I didn't see anything from Sony except them selling their Camera and Move controllers as optional accessories.
Sony is releasing a game similar to nintendogs. I think the casual market is still very much present in the thoughts of both companies, but definitely to a lower degree.

I'm sure that has nothing to do with it

---------

Actually I'm curious that MS didn't say anything about their LTD software as I thought it was still a smidgen ahead of PS4's so far

Probably the same reason sony doesn't trumpet the 1600% vita increase. Saying that just opens up a whole new can of worms in terms of questions, like why the exact hw number wasn't released when it has been every month in the past.

Taurus

Kinect Sports is an MS title meant to try to get the Kinect audience over and it seems to have ultimately failed if sales are any indication. I didn't see anything from Sony except them selling their Camera and Move controllers as optional accessories.
Dat hardcore Singstar.

Vita sales increase is due to...?

Really curious, some very impressive numbers relativly speaking.

psvita-bl2-bundle_image-block_04_us_02may14

miDnIghtEr20C
Banned
(Today, 03:14 AM)

Some peace I wonder if it's back to n4g for some trolling.

Why did he get banned? Because of that "get back to me" post?

Is this some kind of pony reference? I have the feeling this is some kind of pony reference.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is the full name of that horrible show.

Also, what bet did you lose to be sporting an MLP avatar exactly?

Magic like friendship, right?

I'm sure that has nothing to do with it

I am not even going to DIGNIFY that with a response!

Vita sales increase is due to...?

Really curious, some very impressive numbers relativly speaking.

A variety of elements.

1) A major Vita stock refresh and advertising push by SCEA, the first we've seen in quite a while for Vita.

2) The introduction of PCH-2000 lighter redesign of the PSV to the North American markets. This has been hyped on the Internet and through Sony marketing, so it's no surprise the Vita received a >1600% increase.

3) The Borderlands 2 game was hyped and advertised.

Regardless of the relative increase, it's not like the introduction of the redesign SKU was significantly demanded by retailers. The fact that it only managed like 56K in its launch month demonstrates how the Vita, despite coming back into the fold of the USA retail market, still doesn't have a lot of market interest.

We saw a unique strategy shift in E3 2014 when Sony decided to rebrand "PS Vita TV" as "PlayStation TV." I wonder if that will be emblematic of Sony's Vita strategy going forward.

We saw a unique strategy shift in E3 2014 when Sony decided to rebrand "PS Vita TV" as "PlayStation TV." I wonder if that will be emblematic of Sony's Vita strategy going forward.

Honestly as much of a nail in the vita coffin as PSVTV -> PSTV is I think Sony choosing to leave out the Vita "Sizzle" Real from their 2014 E3 Conference while still allowing that awful Shawn Layden bit with minutes recorded and the somehow worse powers segment is more telling.

That literally means Sony prioritized those two segments over showing upcoming games for Vita. It's dead in the West

Yeah my results from the decoding of the pie came closer to 57k actually with rounding although that may be a bit off

What's interesting is the Vita basically sold as much as the 360 did in the US this past month

QaaQer

I am not even going to DIGNIFY that with a response!

A variety of elements.

1) A major Vita stock refresh and advertising push by SCEA, the first we've seen in quite a while for Vita.

2) The introduction of PCH-2000 lighter redesign of the PSV to the North American markets. This has been hyped on the Internet and through Sony marketing, so it's no surprise the Vita received a >1600% increase.

Regardless of the relative increase, it's not like the introduction of the redesign SKU was significantly demanded by retailers. The fact that it only managed like 56K in its launch month demonstrates how the Vita, despite coming back into the fold of the USA retail market, still doesn't have a lot of market interest.

you mean 'a variety of the elements of harmony' right?

Agent X

Where have they been advertising the new Vita hardware and the Borderlands 2 game? I haven't seen any notable advertising for the Vita or any of its games in a very long time.

Spiegel

I don't know the particulars of SCEA's Vita redesign + Borderlands 2 advertising campaign, but it does exist in some capacity.

Here is an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0jSRjHxETQ

A trailer announcing the new model 3 months before the release date is not what I would call being hyped on the Internet and through Sony marketing.

The 1600% increase is surprising, Probably meaningless outside of this month, yes, but still surprising.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
I vote not to exclude the Wii.

It doesn't matter what kind of audience it captured, it never mattered before who it was. They were buying video games, we counted them. That's all there was and is to it. That they went away, that they were fickle, casuals, that the console industry failed to keep them interested or that there was nothing they could have done to prevent their exodus is another discussion, one that tries to explain the decline, not one that makes it disappear.

We just have to accept last gen was a peak in home console sales and the current machines do not show any signs of preventing a decrease. That said, there's a long way between decline and demise. Let's see where this fall will stop.

Can you disclose what ultimately was the share of 1st and 3rd party sales for the Wii? (like 60% and 40%)

I vote we do exclude it.

So many good points on why we can and some on why we cant that have already been posted. But for the PS3 and 360 hardware and software to keep selling at this point in time, we can exclude the Wii. With the Wii U selling terribly, we can exclude the Wii.

The mobile market is always bought up in Wii, Wii U debates, well if we look at the mobile market as a whole, look at Palm, Win Mo/WP and BB.

None were able to keep, recapture their users when all 3 dominated at one time in sales, market share. Even after redesigning their OS and some stepping up with hardware. Look at iPhone and Android. Look at how they continue to keep users for the most part. And we know they both grabbed users from the 3 platforms I mentioned.

For whatever reason, its not working out for Nintendo going from Wii to Wii U. IMO Wii owners were either:

Ppl that had at least a PS3 and/or a 360 and the Wii was a 2nd or 3rd console.
Ppl that never had PS3 or 360 but might have gamed on older consoles
Older folks, folks in general that were new to consoles as a whole.

It can explain the rapid drop off for Wii hardware and software sales. Being reminded of how much the PS2 sold after the PS3 launched points to the Wii being an anomaly. The PS3 and 360 still selling hardware n software points to the Wii as an anomaly.

If Nintendo lost their audience from the Wii, and dont know how to get it back, thats not good especially if they are just sitting out there, waiting for something.

With Wii U sales so poor, Wii hardware and software sales shouldn't have dried up so quick. The Wii should still be selling lots of hardware and software. Remove the Wii from Nintendo's consoles sales over the years and the decline is a continuing one from years ago. Someone posted a nice chart showing this some months ago, its all there in black n white.

I vote we do exclude it.....

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Exlude the Wii. When you remove wii/wii u, the core software buying market right now is larger than it was at the same period last cycle. These are numbers you can forecast with.

Wii proves that a raiding ride lifts all ships- it was a huge boom to the market as a whole, but it's ebbed and you can't build a business model on something that is inconsistent. It looked soon and gloom for a bit but if you factor out what that tide left with, the core segment is alive and off to a good start.

Anything wii u can bring at this point is simply gravy

donny2112

It's comforting to know that Leondexter, the guy who excluded the Wii from his charts, recognized up front that it wasn't the best solution, but he didn't have time to come up with something better. He recognized that it left an incomplete picture, but just didn't have a good way to compensate quickly.

LOCK

On 2 days, considering Wii U userbase those are good numbers, could end doing another 200,000 on June..

So, since MK8 sold 377,000

Wii U LTD up to May - 2,356,250

Correct?

Now, wouldn't the difference in attach rate and mere sales numbers possibly tell us sales for the first days in June? Is that possible?

So far for NPD we have:

~377,000 / 2.41 million = 15.64% = 16%

Something like this would give us the sales as of June 1st:

450,000 (given) / 2.45 million = 18.37% = 18%

But the tricky part about using that to gauge June 1st sales is that we don't know if Nintendo's 18% attach rate / 450,000 sales announcement includes digital sales or not.

So it's hard to extrapolate just because of that factor.
Well we can realize that 75k sales are missing, either in the 3rd day of availability or digital. Either or, June is off to a great start for MK8.

donny2112

It's got to be digital. U.S. is the heaviest digital market in general, Nintendo has seen large digital download numbers before (and getting people's feet wet with Wind Waker HD), and Mario Kart is the kind of game you always want available, even if it's not the main game you're playing now. The % of digital, whatever it is, will go down after launch, but for the first couple of days, it's easy to imagine it having a disproportionate higher level.

Anyone bothered to check the All-Time Wii U download chart to see where MK8 ranks on it for the U.S.? Someone do that in your thread, Mpl90?

Such a thoughtful game. :)

Busaiku

Well, this is just my case, but I had no idea that Vita even got a price drop prior to the Borderlands 2 bundle.
That's what pushed me to get a Vita last month.

That might have been the case for some others.

StevieP

Banned
Exlude the Wii. When you remove wii/wii u, the core software buying market right now is larger than it was at the same period last cycle. These are numbers you can forecast with.

Wii proves that a raiding ride lifts all ships- it was a huge boom to the market as a whole, but it's ebbed and you can't build a business model on something that is inconsistent. It looked soon and gloom for a bit but if you factor out what that tide left with, the core segment is alive and off to a good start.

Anything wii u can bring at this point is simply gravy

I wouldn't have thought i would see you disclude a gaming console and brand it a fad of sorts when it was the market leading gaming console with a healthy sell through of software. What it didn't have was tail, and that was due to poor software support in its twilight years. Fact is, software is still being bought for the damn thing. Like any other successful gaming console. Sony's value proposition is just better this time around.

Where I disagree is the assessment that the core gaming market is looking rosy. There are a lot more factors to discuss there that are beyond the capabilities of typing on this mobile device, though.

goomba

Banned
exclude the biggest selling console from last gen to make this gens sales look not so bad? lol talk about goal post moving.

John Harker

I wouldn't have thought i would see you disclude a gaming console and brand it a fad of sorts when it was the market leading gaming console with a healthy sell through of software. What it didn't have was tail, and that was due to poor software support in its twilight years. Fact is, software is still being bought for the damn thing. Like any other successful gaming console. Sony's value proposition is just better this time around.

Where I disagree is the assessment that the core gaming market is looking rosy. There are a lot more factors to discuss there that are beyond the capabilities of typing on this mobile device, though.

Naw not discounting it at all or calling it a "fad" - and maybe my fault for not reading the initial argument - I was just saying you COULD exclude it, if you wanted to compare market health from this cycle to last. It always depends on context and what segments you're cutting the data for.

If you want to look at overall health of the core buying segment now, it's valid to cut wii out. If you keep it in, things look bad.... Market is down. But if you're selling a core game, you can pivot it out and see that you actually have more active customers to reach and don't need to panicky cut budgets because the "big picture" looks like the console segment is down since the wii was such a zeitgeist movement that raised the ocerall market tide

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
exclude the biggest selling console from last gen to make this gens sales look not so bad? lol talk about goal post moving.

If you're a publisher who released Bonecrusher: Blade of a Doomed Bloodspurt on PS3/360 at this point last gen, and now you're considering releasing Goreblast: Awakening of a Warrior on PS4/XBO and want to know how you can expect software sales to shake out, why would a PS4/XBO versus PS3/360 comparison be "goalpost moving" in-context?

You choose a given comparison that makes sense to the context of the objective you're trying to achieve with the comparison.

John Harker

Not all games are created equal my friend.
If I'm selling just dance, why would I factor out wii sales this gen when trying to indentify my market and set forecasts? If I'm selling battlefield, why keep those numbers in? I'm not sellin to that audience anyway. I want to focus on spending channels that will increase my attach to the platforms that hold my target. Not get a skewed sense is scale and incorrectly allocate my mix. It's inefficient.

Edit:
Man I just piss away money here all the time haha. I can get $30k consultancy fees for this stuff. :)

I don't know what's all this goalpost moving nonsense is all about, sounds like some tomfoolery to me, but all I'm saying is I'm preordering Goreblast: Awakening of a Warrior.

StevieP

Banned
Naw not discounting it at all or calling it a "fad" - and maybe my fault for not reading the initial argument - I was just saying you COULD exclude it, if you wanted to compare market health from this cycle to last. It always depends on context and what segments you're cutting the data for.

If you want to look at overall health of the core buying segment now, it's valid to cut wii out. If you keep it in, things look bad.... Market is down. But if you're selling a core game, you can pivot it out and see that you actually have more active customers to reach and don't need to panicky cut budgets because the "big picture" looks like the console segment is down since the wii was such a zeitgeist movement that raised the ocerall market tide

If you're a publisher who released Bonecrusher: Blade of a Doomed Bloodspurt on PS3/360 at this point last gen, and now you're considering releasing Goreblast: Awakening of a Warrior on PS4/XBO and want to know how you can expect software sales to shake out, why would a PS4/XBO versus PS3/360 comparison be "goalpost moving" in-context?

You choose a given comparison that makes sense to the context of the objective you're trying to achieve with the comparison.

Sure, if you're making blood spurt and gore blast. But the lines start blurring a little bit if you're looking at tiger woods or something to that nature. These invented lines of core and casual are often more blurred that many believe. Call of duty and gta for example have to sell far out of the hardcore to reach those sales

Top Bottom