• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2014 [Up1: Wii U Hardware]

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Makes me wonder what effect on sales Nintendo hardware could have if Amazon.com sold it themselves.

I'm sure it would help Nintendo if their hardware was sold by Amazon.com themselves. I remember at least 2 people who were about to buy a 3DS that balked when they noticed it wasn't being sold by the 1st party. They lost 2 impulse buys there imo. However, it's fine in every other country, and Wii U sales are still bad around the world, so I don't think it'd change TOO much.

I was mainly talking about the bundle with that comment.

But in terms of Mario Kart 8 June sales...

It's pretty safe to assume that 2 days of sales (in May) tracking isn't an accurate representation of the total launch demand, especially considering its viral nature throughout the month.

I think there might be a possibility we will see a phenomenon similar to a November -> December uptick given these unique circumstances.

Maybe something similar to this:

Mario Kart Double Dash, November 2003: 500-550K
Mario Kart Double Dash, December 2003: 700-750K

Mario Kart DS, November 2005: 200-250K
Mario Kart DS, December 2005: 400-450K

Mario Kart 8, May 2014 (2 days): 350-400K
Mario Kart 8, June 2014 (35 days): 450-500K (Aqua's guess)

I'm not saying this will be the case, especially since Mario Kart Wii declined MOM after its short launch month, but it's a possibility.

Well I hope MK8 does that =). We'll see though. The Luigi Death stare of all things got 5M+ views, so at least awareness should have increased in June. Plus I think June will contain both the remainder of the Mario Kart 8 launch demand as well as any boost that the Wii U got during E3 (which according to my anecdotal evidence from a Target employee, sales picked up quite a bit during/after E3).

If the makers of the #1 console are only talking rank and not raw numbers, you know the numbers aren't good. And if their numbers aren't good, well, no one else's are either.

I predict that Microsoft is the first to abandon this depressing game of musical chairs after their big punches (exclusives, price cuts, holiday season) fail to move the needle.

donny2112

If the makers of the #1 console are only talking rank and not raw numbers, you know the numbers aren't good.

If they usually talked number but weren't this time, you'd have a point. As it is, Sony hasn't really talked NPD numbers for like 5 years now or something. The fact they're continuing that despite being the top-selling console doesn't mean a lot on its own. *shrugs*

If the makers of the #1 console are only talking rank and not raw numbers, you know the numbers aren't good. And if their numbers aren't good, well, no one else's are either.

I predict that Microsoft is the first to abandon this depressing game of musical chairs after their big punches (exclusives, price cuts, holiday season) fail to move the needle.

Actually, Sony is pleased with 197K PS4 hardware sales this month.

This is why:

May 2007 PS3 - 82K
May 2008 PS3 - 209K
May 2009 PS3 - 131K
May 2010 PS3 - 154K
May 2011 PS3 - 175K
May 2012 PS3 - 129K
May 2013 PS3 - 85K
May 2014 PS3 - 36K

Such a high 1st May number is encouraging in terms of gen-over-gen growth. So far, the PS4 is tracking significantly ahead of its predecessor.

The wall of shame:

KgzyoUd.png

...Curse you, SwiftDeath.

;-)

The wall of shame:

...Curse you, SwiftDeath.

;-)

hey aqua just a followup I was wondering if you had accessory figures for 2007 and 2014 for a comparison. If its not cool to show them thats understandable you and the other few guys and gals that get us figures keep this place alive. I was just wondering if disneylanders stacked up to the music stuff at all from last gen

LOCK

So I've had people ask me what was a Wii U and I've had others say to me that they thought the Wii U just launched with MK8...

Yeah, Nintendo did things really right at E3. I think we will see June have the equivalent of two bumps, one from MK8 and E3. How big is the important question. (lol)

terrisus

the only other oldschool sales ager is donny. all of my friends are dead.

i remember when video games were played with controllers tethered to consoles through a cord.

Talk to terrisus I imagine he might remember when the hot new thing was this

ohyou.jpg

I don't even remember when I started lurking SalesAge. Probably somewhere around 2005 or so. The Media Create threads were always great fun. Vinnk's Village, the Media Create/Famitsu "which comes out first"/"which do we go by" battle, the "who's going to post the numbers first" battle, the Pac-Man charts, all sorts of fun things over the years.

NPD threads were always more hectic, with all of the .gifs and everything. But, we used to get a bunch of numbers, all sorts of fun leaks, it was a great time. Since the lockdown though, things have been much less interesting.

I haven't been following SalesAge nearly as much since actually registering. It was tons of fun to lurk, and just read over stuff, but actually participating in it while also participating in other stuff around here, I just kind of seemed to drift away from it. Alas.

As far as video games go, while I did play a little bit of Atari 2600, my first system was an NES, so, I don't go that far back, unfortunately.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So I've had people ask me what was a Wii U and I've had others say to me that they thought the Wii U just launched with MK8...

Yeah, Nintendo did things really right at E3. I think we will see June have the equivalent of two bumps, one from MK8 and E3. How big is the important question. (lol)

I'm pretty sure E3 has given them a bump. They had smart media exposure, tons of Wii U games charted on Amazon's top 100 for a while, Target personnel say sales jumped up thanks to E3, the MK8 bundle probably has exceeded Nintendo's expectations, etc. As you said, the question is how much =).

If Wii U sales really do jump up significantly, I would say that E3 and Mario Kart 8 worked (at least temporarily) because of the following.

1. Mario Kart 8 stands as a game that clearly could not be done on the Wii (the graphics really show), is a great multiplayer experience both online and offline, and is generally a very good entry in the series.
2. Now along with another game that got really good reviews (Super Mario 3D World), there are at least two really highly regarded games on the Wii U that got great press that are typically now associated with the console.
3. The enthusiasm among current Wii U owners buying Mario Kart 8 in droves has exposed a bunch more people to the console who may not have even been aware of it.
4. Nintendo made a strong commitment towards the Wii U at E3, so after Mario Kart and Smash, there are quite a few first party titles lined up for 2015 to get excited about. The Treehouse live exposed people to real looks at titles they may not have looked at, and given these titles more exposure.
5. Great deals all around for good games do help at least somewhat. MK8 + free game, Bayo 1 coming free w/ Bayo 2. General price drops on so many Wii U games when Nintendo is infamous for full-price games for years, etc...

In general, I feel all these things have at least turned more of the conversation away from all the negative perceptions about the Wii U to the games themselves. If this current lineup itself plays out fairly normally, I could at least see the Wii U turn from being the butt of jokes to a respectable 3rd place console or something. Anyways, I've probably stated these points before in different ways, so I'll leave it at that.

Also Aqua, any chance you could post GC June #s? Thanks.

stryke

If this current lineup itself plays out fairly normally, I could at least see the Wii U turn from being the butt of jokes to a respectable 3rd place console or something. Anyways, I've probably stated these points before in different ways, so I'll leave it at that.

What's a respectable 3rd place?

i remember when video games were played with controllers tethered to consoles through a cord.

You, Donny, Josh, Duckroll, Chris, Road, and that guy with the Mega Man avatar in the Media Create threads are the only members I even recognize because of lurking in Sales threads for the last ten years. Sales threads are the only thing that really get me excited anymore.

RM8

I consider it not being asked the question, "What's a Wii U?"

My mom asked me that a few minutes ago.
My mother doesn't know what's a PS4, to be fair :p

I'm going to be arbitrary, in my eyes WiiU would be... Less of a train wreck if it sold anywhere from 15 to 20 million systems, and keeps getting stuff that is very well received like MK8, Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, 3D World, etc. - basically getting GCN-like success.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Being profitable and getting a good library, despite being 3rd place in hardware sales?

Something to that effect. The first step is though is for a significant number of people to know of the console, and talk about in a positive manner at the very least.

2002: 213,100 (price drop from $199->$149)
2003: 124,080
2004: 109,000
2005: 70,000
2006: 51,000

Thanks.

Being profitable and getting a good library, despite being 3rd place in hardware sales?

My mother doesn't know what's a PS4, to be fair :p

I'm going to be arbitrary, in my eyes WiiU would be... Less of a train wreck if it sold anywhere from 15 to 20 million systems, and keeps getting stuff that is very well received like MK8, Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, 3D World, etc. - basically getting GCN-like success.

I think the Wii U being profitable would be a harder point of contention depending all what it could include. Covers R&D cost? Covers marketing? Covers funding 3rd party exclusives like Bayonetta 2 and W101? Covers whatever likely storage fees and such Nintendo's paid for the produced Wii Us that did not get sold to retailers in a timely fashion? Etc.

i see all

Thank you. Here is the fixed version:

Something to that effect. The first step is though is for a significant number of people to know of the console, and talk about in a positive manner at the very least.

Thanks.

But wait. He didn't talk about June 2007:

GameCube June 2002 - 207K

GameCube June 2003 - 123K

GameCube June 2004 - 109K

GameCube June 2005 - 70K

GameCube June 2006 - 51K

GameCube June 2007 - Dead

GameCube June 2008 - Hahaha

Just how dead was the GameCube in June 2007?

June 2007 sales:
1) DS - 562K
2) Wii - 382K
3) PSP - 290K
4) PS2 - 271K
5) 360 - 198K
6) GBA - 109K
7) PS3 - 98K
8) EVERY OTHER SYSTEM COMBINED: <21K

Holy crap... All of those highly discounted Xbox One games, and by third parties trying to clear inventory....

Call of Duty: Ghosts
One ($19.99; sold by third party) - 15th
PS4 ($39.99) - 79th

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
One ($24.96; sold by third party) - 34th
PS4 (42.63) - 85th

Forza Motorsport 5 ($24.99; sold by third party) - 54th

Battlefield 4
One ($29.99; sold by third party) - 57th
PS4 ($39.99) - 71st

I think the Wii U being profitable would be a harder point of contention depending all what it could include. Covers R&D cost? Covers marketing? Covers funding 3rd party exclusives like Bayonetta 2 and W101? Covers whatever likely storage fees and such Nintendo's paid for the produced Wii Us that did not get sold to retailers in a timely fashion? Etc.
I think people tend to conflate and confuse operating at a positive margin with making a return on investment, and ignore the time value of money. It's also difficult to isolate Nintendo's handheld and home console operating income.

Regardless, taking positive operating income in isolation as a metric for a respectable third place system is too simplistic, particularly without even qualifying the degree of profitability. Generating a dollar of profit? Generating $1M of profit? Generating $100M of profit?

I think people tend to conflate and confuse operating at a positive margin with making a return on investment, and ignore the time value of money. It's also difficult to isolate Nintendo's handheld and home console operating income.

Regardless, taking positive operating income in isolation as a metric for a respectable third place system is too simplistic, particularly without even qualifying the degree of profitability. Generating a dollar of profit? Generating $1M of profit? Generating $100M of profit?

Don't we still not really know if the Gamecube was ever "profitable" for Nintendo? Logically with it's sales, price cuts, exclusives, and some of those free game deals I would probably think no but I doubt there's clear evidence of that considering how well Gameboy was doing at the time

thanks Aqua

Just looking back to some old npd thread specifically 2007 which seems to be the one that gets most compared

Console software may 2007 was $274m (2014 $247m)
Console Hardware $221m (2014 $187m)
Total industry $815m (2014 $586m)

do you happen to have a comparison between accessories 2007 and 2014

I don't have any data in front of me so don't take anything I say about this with reliability (i.e. I might be wrong about this), but I think accessories in May 2014 are higher than May 2007's $115 million.

I don't have any data in front of me so don't take anything I say about this with reliability (i.e. I might be wrong about this), but I think accessories in May 2014 are higher than May 2007's $115 million.

thanks. I knew those toys are pretty popular, my younger nephews are into skylanders in a big way, but they dont get nearly as much exposure in gaming websites as the band stuff did last gen so was curious.

donny2112

I loved tracking the NPD game sales before. It was hard, tedious work (standardizing NPD's shifting of game titles month-to-month to avoid duplicates across thousands of entries O.O ), but it was a labor of love. Loved seeing how games I liked sold (or didn't sell) no matter how "unimportant" in the grand scheme of things they were. Adding in the tidbits now just has not held the same appeal. :( (But it is appreciated to even get the tidbits!) Very much miss the full lists from before, even if I understand why they can't be put out now. Have to say, your SEGA lists were a monument to the "labor of love" mantra in Sales-Age back in those days. :)

BuzzJive

There was a time when sales interested me here. I remember when we did sales age estimates that go back to earlier than donny's archive. The Xbox vs. Gamecube days were pretty epic. The first year or so of Wii domination was entertaining too.

I stopped caring so much about how other games sell once I got in to the industry (almost 9 years now). The only game sales I really care about are the ones my company makes. Other than that, I just want to play (and analyze) other games.

Also - OT - crushing you in MK8 is oddly satisfying, considering you're one of those NeoGAF names I've known for ages. :)

Speaking of Nintendo's finantial performances, the shareholders' meeting is tonight, right?

Yes. The reception for the extremely important shareholder's meeting opens up in approximately 3 hours.

The actual meeting begins in about 4 hours.

Mr. Iwata will unfortunately not be able to attend the meeting, but shareholders will decide his fate at Nintendo, as they do every year.

Mr. Iwata's consistently declining popularity among shareholders is a phenomenon that makes this year more interesting than most. All throughout the Wii's lifecycle, Mr. Iwata enjoyed ridiculously high, near-100% approval from shareholders. But now that the Wii U has failed and Nintendo has consistently lost money in its core, continuing operations, support from shareholders has been eroding.

Now, there is a "pro-Iwata" camp for people who enjoy Iwata's shareholder-friendly initiatives (e.g. regular dividends despite yearly losses) and who believe that Mr. Iwata is making the best out of a difficult situation, and an "anti-Iwata" camp for people who believe Iwata is too stubborn and resistant to necessary change and he is stunting Nintendo's potential growth. We'll see who wins out in a few hours.

Now, there is a "pro-Iwata" camp for people who enjoy Iwata's shareholder-friendly initiatives (e.g. regular dividends despite yearly losses) and who believe that Mr. Iwata is making the best out of a difficult situation, and an "anti-Iwata" camp for people who believe Iwata is too stubborn and resistant to necessary change and he is stunting Nintendo's potential growth. We'll see who wins out in a few hours.

If for instance Iwata was somehow voted out [I assume that would happen here if anywhere?] who would you like to see replace him and who do you think would replace him? Nintendo seems a fairly insular company so I have trouble envisioning a CEO from outside its own ranks :\

AniHawk

There was a time when sales interested me here. I remember when we did sales age estimates that go back to earlier than donny's archive. The Xbox vs. Gamecube days were pretty epic. The first year or so of Wii domination was entertaining too.

I stopped caring so much about how other games sell once I got in to the industry (almost 9 years now). The only game sales I really care about are the ones my company makes. Other than that, I just want to play (and analyze) other games.

i'm oddly the same way. i followed things pretty closely until about 3-4 years back and sort of dropped off. pre-gaf i used to compile data from dengeki sales, so that carried over. although i had a lapse in sanity during the 2012 election and my obsession with numbers came back in full force.

Also - OT - crushing you in MK8 is oddly satisfying, considering you're one of those NeoGAF names I've known for ages. :)

i played as 'lester' for a while, and then as 'anihawk' and i'm finding that i may have a target on my back now. getting 1st place in a race of about 12 people was pretty rad though. that was the first time that's happened.

Richie

Yes. The reception for the extremely important shareholder's meeting opens up in approximately 3 hours.

Mr. Iwata will unfortunately not be able to attend the meeting, but shareholders will decide his fate at Nintendo, as they do every year.

Mr. Iwata's consistently declining popularity among shareholders is a phenomenon that makes this year more interesting than most. All throughout the Wii's lifecycle, Mr. Iwata enjoyed ridiculously high, near-100% approval from shareholders. But now that the Wii U has failed and Nintendo has consistently lost money in its core, continuing operations, support from shareholders has been eroding.

Gotta love how you always go beyond the call of duty with information, Aqua. Thanks a bunch! It's indeed going to be very interesting to see how this pans out, especially after their promising E3 and Mario Kart seemingly doing so well worldwide, even. Not that it erases what happened the eleven months prior...Oh yes, this will be one for the books.
I hope we get some news here, a lá DS VC from January.

Am I right in recalling that last year he had a rating of 71% and that if its below 50% he is forced to leave.

Am I right in recalling that last year he had a rating of 71% and that if its below 50% he is forced to leave.

Mr. Iwata cannot be relieved of his CEO position through a shareholder vote.

He can only be removed as the head of Nintendo's operations through a vote by the Board of Directors.

Shareholders re-elect Mr. Iwata as Chairman of the Board of Directors. If shareholders reject his re-election, that would send a clear message to the Board that Mr. Iwata is no longer welcome as CEO of the company.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Mr. Iwata cannot be relieved of his CEO position through a shareholder vote.

He can only be removed as the head of Nintendo's operations through a vote by the Board of Directors.

Shareholders re-elect Mr. Iwata as Chairman of the Board of Directors. If shareholders reject his re-election, that would send a clear message to the Board that Mr. Iwata is no longer welcome as CEO of the company.

The thing about not liking a CEO is that there has to be someone else to replace him. If they just replace Iwata with another guy who generally believes what Iwata does, that doesn't really do anything does it?

Also MK8 = #8 on Amazon's best sellers of 2014. It just overtook the PS4 controller.

Top Bottom