• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

It's not lighting Amazon up like I expected. I'm anxious to see how it does.

Huh?
PS4 #3
Xb1 #5
Batman Limited Edition Ps4 #6
Batman Normal Bundle PS4 #10
Batman Limited Bundle #17
Batman Limited Editon Xb1 #29
Batman PS4 Serious Edition #29

It's doing pretty dang good on Amazon. But remember we shouldn't look too much into it.

Boke1879

Huh?
PS4 #3
Xb1 #5

It's doing pretty dang good on Amazon. But remember we shouldn't look too much into it.

If it's doing well on amazon just imagine at all other retailers.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It's not lighting Amazon up like I expected. I'm anxious to see how it does.

Highest selling console and hardware in the hourly right now. What are you comparing it to software or PSN cards?

ZhugeEX

Banned
About chartz, what happened there? last time they "tracked" sales is April.

ioi hasn't updated his guesses in a while. Its funny because he's the only one with access to numbers apparently. So no one else can update the site. Still dont understand how people take that place seriously.

Looking back at the Bestbuy link, The Splatoon Kids for Squids bundle is 4th in consoles. So maybe it will chart high this month.

Considering what's ranking around it, may have slightly better slimey legs than I was expecting.

ioi hasn't updated his guesses in a while. Its funny because he's the only one with access to numbers apparently. So no one else can update the site. Still dont understand how people take that place seriously.

Because they have icons of companies, including ones who may or may not partner with them anymore, somewhere on the site. So if Mcdonalds supports it than who wouldn't?

Huh?
PS4 #3
Xb1 #5

If it's doing well on amazon just imagine at all other retailers.

I'm talking about from a monthly perspective. Every hot new release rockets to the top of the top 100 on release day.

Fallout is dominating the monthly chart thus far. The PS4 vanilla version of AK is the only one in the top 20.

I'm talking about from a monthly perspective. Every hot new release rockets to the top of the top 100 on release day.

Fallout is dominating the monthly chart thus far. The PS4 vanilla version of AK is the only one in the top 20.

Evolve and Watch Dogs if not mistaken, did very well in NPD and didn't top charts.

Boke1879

It'll do well. and with Arkham knight getting a PS4 bundle. I think it can help the PS4 for the months of July and August.

It'll do well. and with Arkham knight getting a PS4 bundle. I think it can help the PS4 for the months of July and August.

It's the slow season no games going to be big enough push forward 3 months in a row.

But Batman should chart against highly next month. The reviews for it are sparkling like a fine bookay.

I have no doubt it will do well. I'm saying I expected it to be a tremendous force only rivaled by CoD, Battlefront and Fallout. It doesn't seem stratospheric so far.

samar11

With all that happened I am honestly just surprised (as much as I hate third party exclusives) that Battlefront ended up a PS co-marketing title, now that we know they got the COD deal.

I think the situation between Activision/ COD and Sony has happened somewhat organically between their existing relations (long term partnership with Destiny, and already back on the PS3 with Diablo III...), but then also with EA becoming such a core partner for the XB1's launch and post launch support (including EA Access), it might have seemed natural to align themelves with Sony while the PS4 became #1 next gen platform WW I guess.

But then again, I wonder what was EA's logic with Battlefront (beside prefering the top selling console) in signing co marketing with Sony, while they have pushed the XB1 so much (with, among other things, that multi-million $ deal around NFL). Trying to make nice with Sony maybe? Or could Sony have circumvented them on some level and made a deal with Lucasfilm/ Disney directly, which gave them some "weight" in getting Battlefront? (cf the on stage talk around the reveal of Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars) :shrug:

I just find it weird that Sony ends up with not one, or two, but three futuristic FPS (with Destiny) being promoted for PS4 between September and November.

On the sales front, I expect MS to throw everything at the wall this Holiday season, as I think it would possibly be their last chance at a meaningful upset that might turn the tides (in the US and UK). I could definitely see them doing an instant price dop to $299 if Sony goes there in October/ November. Perhaps even as low as $249 for a "temporary promo" around Black Friday.

They'll loose a ton of money around that, for sure, but if they don't turn things around this Holiday season, it's pretty much over (in terms of market domination, not "the XB1 is Doooooomed").
Even with that, If Sony decides to expand their reach and go for $299, I would then see them winning the Holiday season, and perhaps with a good margin too.

But if they decide to play it "safe" and do a half step at $349, I think Sony will likely loose the Holiday by a (relatively) small margin but that'll net them more money otoh.

At the moment xbox one is $50 is cheaper and still losing to PS4 on Monthly NPDs.

If Sony does a 299 cut then wouldn't Microsoft need to cut it to 249 in order to keep up ? If they just price match it with PS4 then they will get demolished.

What you think ?

The only "selling point" it has left is the forum and it's an extremely weak one at that. The environment is like this thread only that it happens almost all the f***in damn time.

At the moment xbox one is $50 is cheaper and still losing to PS4 on Monthly NPDs.

If Sony does a 299 cut then wouldn't Microsoft need to cut it to 249 in order to keep up ? If they just price match it with PS4 then they will get demolished.

What you think ?

If they go $249, MS will lose so much money on hardware they will have to bump up Gold Memberships to $80 or something.
jk

But seriously though, If PS4 goes $299 in October, Xbox One lost the US. Not even the games will matter. Holidays are always about the best price.

If they go $249, MS will lose so much money on hardware they will have to bump up Gold Memberships to $80 or something.
jk

But seriously though, If PS4 goes $299 in October, Xbox One lost the US. Not even the games will matter. Holidays are always about the best price.

If Sony dropped ahead of Xbox yeah that would be bad, at the same time its hard to tell, 299 is the candy price for consoles.

What you think ?

No, 299 is mass market price, if both are 299 during the holidays it'll be up to marketing and additional deals to grab the casuals.

With all that happened I am honestly just surprised (as much as I hate third party exclusives) that Battlefront ended up a PS co-marketing title, now that we know they got the COD deal.

I think the situation between Activision/ COD and Sony has happened somewhat organically between their existing relations (long term partnership with Destiny, and already back on the PS3 with Diablo III...), but then also with EA becoming such a core partner for the XB1's launch and post launch support (including EA Access), it might have seemed natural to align themelves with Sony while the PS4 became #1 next gen platform WW I guess.

But then again, I wonder what was EA's logic with Battlefront (beside prefering the top selling console) in signing co marketing with Sony, while they have pushed the XB1 so much (with, among other things, that multi-million $ deal around NFL). Trying to make nice with Sony maybe? Or could Sony have circumvented them on some level and made a deal with Lucasfilm/ Disney directly, which gave them some "weight" in getting Battlefront? (cf the on stage talk around the reveal of Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars) :shrug:

I just find it weird that Sony ends up with not one, or two, but three futuristic FPS (with Destiny) being promoted for PS4 between September and November.

On the sales front, I expect MS to throw everything at the wall this Holiday season, as I think it would possibly be their last chance at a meaningful upset that might turn the tides (in the US and UK). I could definitely see them doing an instant price dop to $299 if Sony goes there in October/ November. Perhaps even as low as $249 for a "temporary promo" around Black Friday.

They'll loose a ton of money around that, for sure, but if they don't turn things around this Holiday season, it's pretty much over (in terms of market domination, not "the XB1 is Doooooomed").
Even with that, If Sony decides to expand their reach and go for $299, I would then see them winning the Holiday season, and perhaps with a good margin too.

But if they decide to play it "safe" and do a half step at $349, I think Sony will likely loose the Holiday by a (relatively) small margin but that'll net them more money otoh.

I believe the Star Wars deal has more to do with Sony and Disney's relationship. I think Disney has more control over all Star Wars games than a typical license deal with publishers.

Nintendo included this sniplet in the press release:
That figure includes more than 476,000 physical and digital units sold in the Americas, more than 368,000 sold in Japan, more than 230,000 sold in Europe and an additional 20,000 sold in Australia and New Zealand.

Looks like it probably at least doubled its may numbers in the US. Not surprising since that was only 2 days. Looks like lots of people are gonna be surprised at where it places next month, especially the guy that thought it wouldn't clear 200,000 in the US in june (lol)

Sandfox

Looks like it TRIPLED its may numbers. Not surprising since that was only 2 days. Looks like lots of people are gonna be surprised at where it places next month, especially the guy that thought it wouldn't clear 200,000 in the US in june (lol)

I remember some people in this thread saying that the numbers would be front-loaded.

Looks like it probably at least doubled its may numbers in the US. Not surprising since that was only 2 days. Looks like lots of people are gonna be surprised at where it places next month, especially the guy that thought it wouldn't clear 200,000 in the US in june (lol)

It says Americas' not US. The second month was definitely good (I predicted it would be personally) but it was not 270k. You can't infer that from the release.

No, remember, NPD only tracks retail. So it probably didn't double sales this month retail wise, but id say still over 100k earring it a spot in June npd.

Purest 78

The Batman bundle Sold out every time it was available on amazon. All those sales will be counted for this month.

The month is not out yet and batman is only just releasing....also months of pre-orders are going into june.

RexNovis

Banned
What's up SalesGAF? Long time no see. I see we are back to juniors spouting unconfirmed nonsense and referencing online sales charts as proof positive of "momentum." New month same story. Has nobody reported this guy to a mod for claiming insider insight? He needs to be verified or banned. Can't go around claiming knowledge of trends in 500+ retail outlets and not back it up.

OT: What are everyone's thoughts on the recent articles espousing Amazon sales trends as proof XB1 "won" E3? Personally I think its more of a reflection of their new titles being released soon. It was always my understanding preorders tend to ramp up the closer you get to release. Not to mention % increase in preorders is a ridiculous metric as it doesnt really give a clear picture for numbers as a whole at all. Percentages are largely meaningless with out some number as a reference.

I don't think there is any way Sony does not take this month by a wide margin thanks to the Batman bundles. Those have been selling phenomenally for months now. The only wiggle room here is the supply. Provided that Sony produced a solid supply of the bundles it will be a big month for them. If the bundles were not produced in large quantities then obviously their impact would be muted. Do we have any insight from retail insiders on what level of stock Sony supplied for these bundles?

It says Americas' not US. The second month was definitely good (I predicted it would be personally) but it was not 270k. You can't infer that from the release.

I said probably, I'd imagine it did the majority of that number, which means it would probably do at least 200k. What's the usual split between the US and the rest of the Americas? Or does it vary? I'd imagine the US usually has a large majority of sales

I said probably, I'd imagine it did the majority of that number, which means it would probably do at least 200k. What's the usual split between the US and the rest of the Americas? Or does it vary? I'd imagine the US usually has a large majority of sales

I'd be talking out of my ass if I tried to imply I knew the usual Americas splits so this is me just guessing from what I remember seeing in other NPD threads. Canada is roughly 10~15% American sales from what I heard and digital is about 10% of physical on Average in America. It's probably safe to guess US is 70-85% today sales in the Americas. But really, there is no way the game did 270k in the US for June. Like zero possibility. I think 150-175k physical is more likely.

I'd be talking out of my ass if I tried to imply I knew the usual Americas splits. Canada is roughly 10~15% American sales from what I heard and digital is about 10% of physical on Average in America. It's probably safe to guess US is 70-85% today sales in the Americas. But really, the is not way the game did 270k in the US for June. Like zero possibility. I think 150-175k physical is more likely.

Yeah I messed up and forgot to subtract May's numbers from that press release number lol (this is why I'm not doing a degree thats math focused)

RexNovis

Banned
Let's randomly assume that PS4 and Xbox One are at 85 million sold-through as of january 2015 or something.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Ok clearly you have absolutely no idea what the hell you are talking about. You don't even have an adequate frame of reference for making observations. You have yet to state a single piece of verifiable accurate information in this thread. Please stop espousing baseless and/or false information.

thefro

I'd be talking out of my ass if I tried to imply I knew the usual Americas splits so this is me just guessing from what I remember seeing in other NPD threads. Canada is roughly 10~15% American sales from what I heard and digital is about 10% of physical on Average in America. It's probably safe to guess US is 70-85% today sales in the Americas. But really, there is no way the game did 270k in the US for June. Like zero possibility. I think 150-175k physical is more likely.

June NPD period isn't over yet though. :)

gtj1092

I'll just say those are very round precise numbers.

Oh snap, your right it does say America's, maybe it wont chart then.

I dunno what of note is Launching besides Batman but given the press release and the time of month it will have little trouble charting. It made 5th last month 134k. Presumably June will be about the same number or a little higher. Finishing in the 8th or 9th position should not be too difficult unless I am missing other note worthy releases.

Yeah I messed up and forgot to subtract May's numbers from that press release number lol (this is why I'm not doing a degree thats math focused)

No worries. I think the main thing is people arguing the game would drop like a rock in June apparently seem to have miscalculated.

June NPD period isn't over yet though. :)

This is true. I was just going off of if sales were to be counted today. It still isn't gonna chart at 270k though.

Chobel

What's up SalesGAF? Long time no see. I see we are back to juniors spouting unconfirmed nonsense and referencing online sales charts as proof positive of "momentum." New month same story. Has nobody reported this guy to a mod for claiming insider insight? He needs to be verified or banned. Can't go around claiming knowledge of trends in 500+ retail outlets and not back it up.

OT: What are everyone's thoughts on the recent articles espousing Amazon sales trends as proof XB1 "won" E3? Personally I think its more of a reflection of their new titles being released soon. It was always my understanding preorders tend to ramp up the closer you get to release. Not to mention % increase in preorders is a ridiculous metric as it doesnt really give a clear picture for numbers as a whole at all. Percentages are largely meaningless with out some number as a reference.

I don't think there is any way Sony does not take this month by a wide margin thanks to the Batman bundles. Those have been selling phenomenally for months now. The only wiggle room here is the supply. Provided that Sony produced a solid supply of the bundles it will be a big month for them. If the bundles were not produced in large quantities then obviously their impact would be muted. Do we have any insight from retail insiders on what level of stock Sony supplied for these bundles?

Bad, bad proof:
1) It's using Amazon UK only.
2) It's using the pre-order data of only two games (Forza 6 + Rare Replay) ignoring all other games and also ignoring the sales of actual consoles.

RexNovis

Banned
You are like a fountain of baseless speculation

I don't think sales has anything to do with COD jumping. ALso keep in mind that the PS3/360 weren't that far apart when the deal already started, 360 took some time to reach that "destroying" gap that it ended up receiving.

You missed the important part about those games getting MS's money, AHEAD of time. All of them. Which probably opened the gates at Activision and Sony decided to grab the asking price.

By using a point I made about a probable contract ending. Which is what I'm saying, I think it's a support/money issue. i think MS threw thier cards at a ton of things from ubisoft to Fallout to TR etc.

Uh wasn't Wii over 40 million? Didn't the 360 pass the Wii in the U.S.?

Because they have icons of companies, including ones who may or may not partner with them anymore, somewhere on the site. So if Mcdonalds supports it than who wouldn't?

Spouting oceans of bullshit for everyone else to wade through. Not a single one of these statements contributes to the discussion going on in this thread. All you are doing is either knowingly or unknowingly spreading constant misinformation by burying this thread in a deluge of meaningless posts.

Spouting oceans of bullshit for everyone else to wade through. Not a single one of these statements contributes to the discussion going on in this thread. All you are doing is either knowingly or unknowingly spreading constant misinformation by burying this thread in a deluge of meaningless posts.

Whoa. Decided to wander back into SalesGAF and its gettin' REAL up in this piece. Keepin' my Junior mouth SHUT.

Also Rex, I love you.

Trying (intentionally and repeatedly) to start a childish argument over clear predictions, speculation, me asking questions and me saying "I don't think", interesting. I'll just ignore you I can tell engaging with you will lead to problems. So good day.

Top Bottom