• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2015

Trying (intentionally and repeatedly) to start a childish argument over clear predictions, speculation, me asking questions and me saying "I don't think", interesting. I'll just ignore you I can tell engaging with you will lead to problems. So good day.

Do said "problems" include the consequences of claiming to have access to sales data of 500 retail stores in the US without being verified?

RexNovis

Banned
Bad, bad proof:
1) It's using Amazon UK only.
2) It's using the pre-order data of only two games (Forza 6 + Rare Replay) ignoring all other games and also ignoring the sales of actual consoles.

For real? Yeesh. Then why the hell was it reported on? That's downright shameful. Whelp nevermind about that then.

What about stock levels for the Batman Bundles? Any word on what to expect there?

Whoa. Decided to wander back into SalesGAF and its gettin' REAL up in this piece. Keepin' my Junior mouth SHUT.

Also Rex, I love you.

tumblr_ldc761X8zf1qc8lt5.gif

I've been absent for a while. Things got really busy at work and that combined with E3 meant I didnt have a whole lot of time to browse GAF. I dont like going into sales threads half cocked and want to make sure Im all caught up before I post. Took me a while but its good to be back!

Do said "problems" include the consequences of claiming to have access to sales data of 500 retail stores in the US without being verified?

Ignorance (and im not trying to be mean by saying this, i think some insider isers on this board have warped perspective) by you and others about how certain companies work is why half the insiders are gone. There's a reason I'm vague and only post trends I see. I don't even have direct access to data, I have to gain it a different way, and can only do it occasionally, I have explained this in the thread twice O think, I'd probably lose my job/get in trouble by going through the veri process, people get this but a lot of people don't. If you doubt me then doubt me.

Heck there are times I can only get access to less than the 500 we track. It's not simple, I believe some insiders here, especially the latest I was told about, have skewed how some of these businesses actually work, heck I'm surprised she was able to even post numbers, she worked with da more lax company than most that have such info, and I believe that has confused some users in this board. This is why I've only posted and said "it can go either way" for this month. I've said nothing else in this thread about anything else related to that tracking. Not even impressions of what's selling at even one store. So its not like I'm using it for numbers or anything else.

I don't work in gaming retail, I have not stated numbers or ranking for any retailer not publically available, and I have not claimed to be an insider, and have not provided any info. The mods know this as well. I've said nothing but "it can go either way", even moved the topic to amazon because the trends were similar so I've done nothing to "disrupt" the sales thread since I've made no claims
if you don't believe me don't, I've barely said anything as is, most posts in this thread have been predictions or using public info. So I'm not going around saying y sold x, or etc.

Again I think AM has skewed how son of these companies work. But considering I've posted no "insider" info in actually surprised people are even saying I'm claiming insider knowledge when its more complicated than that and far from the truth. Heck I'm still surprised how long AM lasted googling her posts. Her company was lax, that usually doesn't happen. I mean, I don even have direct access I have to go as if I'm looking for phone data and reports and use that to get gaming info, not even close to simple. Heck, if I knew some people took things so seriously I would not have even mentioned it. I just wanted to share some small impressions but just pretend I never talked about it.

That is all.

RexNovis

Banned
Trying (intentionally and repeatedly) to start a childish argument over clear predictions, speculation, me asking questions and me saying "I don't think", interesting. I'll just ignore you I can tell engaging with you will lead to problems. So good day.

First of all in case you aren't aware what with you being brand new to this thread and sales gaf as a whole, I regularly participate in these threads and genuinely contribute to the discussion of sales trends unlike yourself.

Second, not a single on of those quotes is even a prediction? LMAO Every single one of them is a speculative statement for which you have 0 supporting evidence. You are just making ridiculous statements and prefacing them with "i think" as if that gives you license to ceaselessly speculate without explanation or recourse. What little explanation you give for your conclusion is contrary to common knowledge or common sense. These threads arent for people to come in and spout their feelings about things they are about discussing sales and speculating on future trends based on current information. Yet rather than learn form criticism and support your contrarian speculation with facts or insight you opt instead to ignore the people calling you out on it.

Finally, claiming insider knowledge is no joke and you cannot get away with that. Either contact a mod and get vetted or be gone with you. We don't mess around with fake sources here. Put up or shut up.

Ignoring me does not make this all magically disappear. But by all means keep doing what you're doing. Hopefully that means we won't have to put up with you much longer.

Brashnir

Second, not a single on of those quotes is even a prediction? LMAO Every single one of them is a speculative statement for which you have 0 supporting evidence.

He didn't say they weren't predictions. He said they were "clear predictions and speculation."

RexNovis

Banned
He didn't say they weren't predictions. He said they were "clear predictions and speculation."

Nah it just said "clear predictions" at first. He edited it and added in everything else prior to my quote and response. Hence my saying they aren't predictions they're baseless speculation.

Whoa. Decided to wander back into SalesGAF and its gettin' REAL up in this piece. Keepin' my Junior mouth SHUT.

Also Rex, I love you.

This is how a junior should act, read and post when the moment is right.

Haha, no seriously juniors have to adapt and learn the ropes not just keep posting to become members.

Welfare

So how many juniors have been banned so far in this thread? I might be spot on with my 3 juniors prediction if another one wants to come up to bat.

RexNovis

Banned
Does anyone happen to know what the sales were for Arkham City in its first NPD? Might help gauge the potential impact Arkham Knight will have.

Welfare

Does anyone happen to know what the sales were for Arkham City in its first NPD? Might help gauge the potential impact Arkham Knight will have.

1.5 million

Origins was lower than 1.1 million

Jesus, Professional had over 100 posts in this thread.

Oh thank goodness. Can finally come back to this thread.

So, we were having some good conversations for a while there. Where are we at?

Oh, and the 360 did recently surpass the Wii in the US. So he had that going for him, which is nice.

Will Arkham Knight beat Arkham City?

I'll go with no, mainly because digital sales represent big part of sales this time around.

In packaged NPD? Don't see how that could be considered at all likely. Could end up with a higher attach rate, however, just because the comparable installed base is so much smaller this time.

Chobel

Will Arkham Knight beat Arkham City?

I'll go with no, mainly because digital sales represent big part of sales this time around.

I don't even remember what was the last thing we talked about before Doctor UnProfessional showed up.

Oh, and the 360 did recently surpass the Wii in the US. So he had that going for him, which is nice.

Something good always comes out from a ban, remember Microsoft Chad winning the NPD Predictions Thread, haha.

Welfare

Thanks! Do you happen to know what month of the year it was and how many weeks of tracking it had? I'm guessing Arkham Knight sees a relatively minor bump in sales over Arkham City.

City and Origins were in October.

City had 2 weeks, Origins had 2 weeks.

Arkham Knight will have 2 weeks.

RexNovis

Banned
City and Origins were in October.

City had 2 weeks, Origins had 2 weeks.

Arkham Knight will have 2 weeks.

So same timeframe but different month. Hmm. Yeah with AK releasing in June it probably won't be selling as much as AC did in October. Big sales differential between those two months.

What are you guys expecting? Higher attack rate but significantly lower total sales seems like the safe bet.

I'm guessing something in the neighborhood of 1.1 million with a 68% split (including bundles) in favor of PS4.

So same timeframe but different month. Hmm. Yeah with AK releasing in June it probably won't be selling as much as AC did in October. Big sales differential between those two months.

What are you guys expecting? Higher attack rate but significantly lower total sales seems like the safe bet.

I'm guessing something in the neighborhood of 1.1 million with a 68% split (including bundles) in favor of PS4.

PS4 bundles won't be count right?, so yeah I expect it to do less than AC. Higher than Origins me hopes.

Thanks! Do you happen to know what month of the year it was and how many weeks of tracking it had? I'm guessing Arkham Knight sees a relatively minor bump in sales over Arkham City.

Yep. Made it way too obvious.
Was he an alt of Senjutsu Sage? The posting style looked familiar.

Did AC/AO get PC ports? Even though its an apparently poor port, maybe that would shift more units.
1.1 million sounds good.

I have a feeling Arkham Knight wont be quite as big as City was
I know about the holiday shopping season making consumers more inclined to purchase games. The Summer usually being dry on games wouldn't help it? Or is it like the chicken-egg conundrum: gamers buy less games in the summer because less games are being released because less gamers buy games in the summer months?

RexNovis

Banned
Was he an alt of Senjutsu Sage? The posting style looked familiar.

Did AC/AO get PC ports? Even though its an apparently poor port, maybe that would shift more units.

Word travels fast about bad PC ports so I wouldn't really count on it TBH. Especially with the new steam refund policy.

Elandyll

Banned
1.5 million

Origins was lower than 1.1 million

I was reading the thread and seeing professional posting every other post was like a train wreck in slow motion...
It's "interesting" how sales data threads tend to attract these ... Participations.

RexNovis

Banned
Then again guys Witcher 3 blew up the sales charts something fierce. Surely the brand power/recognition of Batman will push it past that. Guess it depends whether or not the Witcher 3 sated the wanderlust of the gaming masses.

I sorta just wanted an excuse to use the word wanderlust

Then again guys Witcher 3 blew up the sales charts something fierce. Surely the brand power/recognition of Batman will push it past that. Guess it depends whether or not the Witcher 3 sated the wanderlust of the gaming masses.

I just wanted an excuse to use the word wanderlust

True but I just don't see Knight doing much over a million. Early prediction for me is 900k - 1.1 million

Welfare

Watch it. People on NeoGAF don't take to kindly to strange words.

Chobel

The Witcher 3 did less than 700K, so not something I would describe as "blew up".

crinale

At Sony's investor meeting today computer entertainment division's operate sales increased but so did the spending (weak yen increased BOM of PS4?) so operating profit did decrease. I'm sure new PS4 would help to reduce BOM but now I am a bit skeptical of price drop anytime soon..

Edit: Actually operation sales increased, not income (profit decreased actually).

ZhugeEX

Banned
At Sony's investor meeting today computer entertainment division's operate income increased but so did the spending (weak yen increased BOM of PS4?) so operating profit did decrease. I'm sure new PS4 would help to reduce BOM but now I am a bit skeptical of price drop anytime soon..

Interesting post. Thanks for this.

Do you have a link at all? (On my phone so can't be bothered to search haha)

RexNovis

Banned
At Sony's investor meeting today computer entertainment division's operate income increased but so did the spending (weak yen increased BOM of PS4?) so operating profit did decrease. I'm sure new PS4 would help to reduce BOM but now I am a bit skeptical of price drop anytime soon..

Would the spending include R&D? No doubt the weak yen is taking its toll thugh. I feel the effects of that firsthand every month. Could it also be due to the initial costs of beginning production on the new model? I would be absolutely floored if PS4 did not see a price drop this year. Historically speaking, it would be long overdue by the end of the year.

crinale

Would the spending include R&D? No doubt the weak yen is taking its toll thugh. I feel the effects of that firsthand every month. Could it also be due to the initial costs of beginning production on the new model? I would be absolutely floored if PS4 did not see a price drop this year. Historically speaking, it would be long overdue by the end of the year.

The article has very short analysis so doesn't say much. Only thing it mentions aside from weak yen is the migration of PS3 to PS4 (i.e. PS3 sector has been very profitable which makes sense).

RexNovis

Banned
The article has very short analysis so doesn't say much. Only thing it mentions aside from weak yen is the migration of PS3 to PS4 (i.e. PS3 sector has been very profitable which makes sense).

I saw the link you posted. My Japanese is a bit weak but I'm slowly working through it. If i weret o guess I would think the migration is less about the profits of PS3 (which I had always heard were relatively low hardware wise thanks to the cell) and more about the development and network migration. They've said before they are investing very heavily in network infrastructure right now so it wouldn't surprise me if this was part of the aforementioned costs. As Zhuge said, thanks for the link. Sorry I missed your post at first amidst the insanity of the last page.

crinale

I saw the link you posted. My Japanese is a bit weak but I'm slowly working through it. If i weret o guess I would think the migration is less about the profits of PS3 (which I had always heard were relatively low hardware wise thanks to the cell) and more about the development and network migration. They've said before they are investing very heavily in network infrastructure right now so it wouldn't surprise me if this was part of the aforementioned costs. As Zhuge said, thanks for the link. Sorry I missed your post at first amidst the insanity of the last page.

Oh that's really possible I think. Less profit by migration from PS3 to PS4 should be caused by not only by profit decrease from PS3's hardware (because of decrease PS3 sales) but also by lots of additional R & D related for PS4. R & D for PS3 should be pretty much done so any sales regarding PS3 turns into pure profit, while it won't be the case for PS4 for for a while.

Sprinting for the 'safety' of full membership just like his alter ego Herma(i)n Cain. Next month, look out for new juniors with hastily knocked-up usernames - and Doctor Professional's predictions turning out to be correct.

Looking over the SKU options for PS4 on Amazon now to get a feel for hardware, and geez, this just makes me jealous. Canadian market is so whack at the moment.

panda-zebra

For real? Yeesh. Then why the hell was it reported on? That's downright shameful. Whelp nevermind about that then.

In Forza 6's case, it was actually using percentage change in preorder numbers over that window in E3 announcements (the numbers they use for that Movers and Shakers chart), so it's even less useful still.

Sprinting for the 'safety' of full membership just like his alter ego Herma(i)n Cain. Next month, look out for new juniors with hastily knocked-up usernames - and Doctor Professional's predictions turning out to be correct.

It's so bizarre.

ZhugeEX

Banned

This guy is a joker. He got banned earlier, was given a second chance but threw it away by writing such crap on this forum.

He even admitted to me after his ban that he has alternative accounts to get back on GAF. Can't believe I even gave this guy the time of day tbh. What doesn't he understand about a permanant ban!? It means you're banned and shouldn't use an alt account.

No doubt we'll continue to see crap posts from a new junior really soon....

Top Bottom