• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2016

Javin98

Banned
Yep, it would be nice to have Aqua back now that the NPD ninjas are off her back. Question is, does she want to come back? She seemed pissed about George's ban.

Slightly OT: It's been impossible for me to find NPD data on 2005. Is there anything with decent archives? Even VGSales doesn't have anything.

Occam

Oh, so Aqua is now posting official numbers at the site whose methodology consists of making up numbers and who actually is a competitor of NPD (in a way)? How ironic.
(And sad, I miss her here.)

Did we ever get concrete numbers for April?

QaaQer

Yeah mod should just unban Aqua at this point. Is better even for them.

Not to mention i understand if Aqua don't wanna back here, for obvius reasons... would just be a bit sad.

Would be nice. That other forum is aesthetically repellent and designed without functionality in mind.

ethomaz

Banned
Oh, so Aqua is now posting official numbers at the site whose methodology consists of making up numbers and who actually is a competitor of NPD (in a way)? How ironic.
(And sad, I miss her here.)

Did we ever get concrete numbers for April?
I don't believe the site was ever competitor of NPD.

NPD get data from over 90% of retail market while the site estimate (guess) 100% of it data.

They are completely different type of services.

PS. We got all main data from April...

Loris146

8XK4z8S.png

What do you think sales gaf?

ethomaz

Banned
If they nail the price, it'll push some significant hardware alongside Gears and Battlefield this holiday season.

40% smaller though. How does that compare to the PS3? ABOUT the same size?
From pics looks about the same size than PS4.

More heigh but less length with same width.

I'm betting on $399 price that won't put the world on fire.

allan-bh

According to ekim will be other options of HDD size, so I suppose $299 will be the entry price (It has to be).

The 2TB model for sure will not be $299.

I'm definitely not. It's estupit. I know Scorpio is 12 months away. Why buy this?

I asume that like vanilla PS4, this one will (still) be offered as the cheap entry solution into XBOX eco-system. So if the price is okay, it doesn't matter if you buy it now or 12 months later (apart from inevitable price drops).

That said, if you already own an XBOX One and if you don't own a 4k TV, it's absolutely pointless to upgrade. Unless you don't know what to do with all your money.

So NerdLeaks is saying the Xbox One S will be $299. If true, I think that's a super consumer friendly price which will lead to a lot of hardware moving because of it.

noobie

Banned
Would be nice. That other forum is aesthetically repellent and designed without functionality in mind.

exactly. the forum is too childish or funky and definitely un appealing and does not work well on mobile. But the problem is all the numbers and important tidbits are there. So one has to go.. its like PS2 was all sort of weird architecture.. but it had games so people bought it..

I think Mods need to allow Aquamarine to come back.. She definitely has lot of information and do have a very good insight of the industry and will provide valuable contribution on this forum.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Xbox One S at $299.99 for the base model sounds good enough. Very curious to see how the US market will react; currently, I don't know what to expect, considering how low sales were in both April and May (yeah, April sales were quite low when you consider the QB bundle, the temporary price cut, etc.etc.).

Xbox One S at $299.99 for the base model sounds good enough. Very curious to see how the US market will react
Probably with the same apathy. People aren't not buying XB1 because of the size of the console. File this under "we'll see" but I'm not expecting the S to have much of an impact.

Javin98

Banned
Looks like it was his trash talking Statham on the FFXV-Xbone-Exclusive?!?!? thread.

I told him to walk away on the thread...felt like a pub car park fight over a spilt pint...
Ugh, I know that thread was dumb to begin with and the fact that Statham made it makes it questionable anyway, but Rex really shouldn't be losing his temper over such petty things. It's not worth it. GAF (to be fair, the whole Internet) is full of hyperbole and bullshit and we should just learn to ignore.

allan-bh

At $299 I believe this Slim model will improve significantly Xbox One sales in the coming months and will be a hit in holidays w/ deals.

My bet at the beggining of the year was that with a Slim model 2016 would surpass sales of 2015 and I'm feeling more confident that will happen.

Loris146

In my opinion we'll see great sales in the first month at least , especially if there will be trade in deals. Holiday season will be good for both MS and Sony as usual.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
At $299 I believe this Slim model will improve significantly Xbox One sales in the coming months and will be a hit in holidays w/ deals.

My bet at the beggining of the year was that with a Slim model 2016 would surpass sales of 2015 and I'm feeling more confident that will happen.

I don't believe this anymore honestly... Those YOY sales so far are brutal. We talk about under 2014 levels.

And i honestly don't expect a better destiny for the rest of year, maybe only the last 3 months thanks that slim version but still.

allan-bh

I don't believe this anymore honestly... Those YOY sales so far are brutal. We talk about under 2014 levels.

And i honestly don't expect a better destiny for the rest of year, maybe only the last 3 months thanks that slim version but still.

It's 85k below 2015, considering that sales are very concentrated in the holidays, remains very possible to beat 2015.

Welfare

Slim models always improve sales, whether it was the PS2 slim, PS3 slim, 360 S, or any handheld revision, sales always go up. If all models actually do have 4K media support and there is a $299 model, sales will really pick up.

Just to give some examples

PS2 2004: 4,683,000
*October to December: 2,067,000 (PS2 slim, supply constrained)
PS2 2005: 5,548,000

PS3 2008: 3,545,000
PS3 2009: 4,335,000
*September to December: 2,883,000 (PS3 slim)
PS3 2010: 4,334,000

Xbox 360 2009: 4,771,000
Xbox 360 2010: 6,768,000
*June to December: 5,295,000 (360 slim + Kinect)
*November + Decmeber: 3,234,000 (Kinect launch)

Eh, 2014 had Titanfall and was still just after launch, and 2015 had a price cut for the entire period. 2016 had another price cut for 6 weeks, and then it went back up. All things considered, 2016 is still a good year for sales YTD, it's just smaller than 2014 and 2015

January - May 2014: 904,000
January - May 2014: 982,000
January - May 2014: 897,000

Those are all very close to each other, and the slim is going to come out, with hopefully a $299 model. Sales will improve.

LordRaptor

An X1S at $199 would be a 'needle mover' on sales.
An X1S offering a slightly smaller box and 4K media playback versus an X1fatty with a bundle of games on firesale clearance at the same price... I honestly don't see it.

e:
Slim models always improve sales, whether it was the PS2 slim, PS3 slim, 360 S, or any handheld revision, sales always go up.

Those are - I want to say always but there might be an exception proving the rule - introduced as significant price reductions though.

Top Bottom