• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2016

This is so misleading when it comes to PC games. Even Legacy of the Void sold over a million in 24 hours, and Overwatch had a far bigger launch than that did. Guaranteed Overwatch won the month in reality. Its subreddit is already larger than Dota 2's and CS:GO's. The real number will come out when Activision Blizzard posts its next quarterly report, and that number will be massive.

I mean... NPD has never really been accurate towards PC.

Javin98

Banned
If we're going to use Metacritic as a metric for determining the flag bearer for racing games then I'm not sure why my statement of PS4 having a larger quantity (and thus quality) was met with such contention.

Because according to Metacritic, my statement checks out.

But let's just stick to sales in this thread.
Also, if we're going to use Metacritic for games in general, the PS4 has exclusives rated at 90 and higher while the XB1 has none.

But let's get back to sales talk.

I don't think any racing game has higher metascore than Forza Motorsport series on last gen. This gen I believe Mario Kart 8 has the best score, but is close to Forza 6.

What relevance does metascore have in a sales thread?

Regardless, with the wealth of Racer options last gen in particular (Outrun, WipeOut, Ridge Racer, Blur, Spilt second, Burnout, NFS, GT and racing focused action games like Driver and Stuntman) saying that forza has been the flag bearer for the genre is factually wrong.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Steam sales for May releases* (from May 1st, 2016 to to May 28th, 2016 | based on Geography splits up to today)

Battleborn (MSRP: $59.99) - 46,261
Cyber City 2157: The Visual Novel ($5.99) - 1,579
Parkitect ($17.99) - 4,534
Earn to Die 2 ($4.99) - 1,211
Super Mega Neo Pug ($0.99) - 3,710
Dungeon of Solthan ($0.99) - 1,788
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster ($29.99) - 55,858
Doom ($59.99) - 175,170
Sins of the Demon ($1.99) - 4,184
Autumn ($2.99) - 2,933
Salt and Sanctuary ($17.99) - 12,675
Homefront: The Revolution ($59.99) - 8,742
Space Pirates and Zombies 2 ($19.99) - 6,503
Cosmic Dust & Rust ($0.99) - 1,040
Youtubers Life ($14.99) - 17,317
Savage: Resurrection ($24.99) - 877
Total War: Warhammer ($59.99) - 119,607
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan ($39.99) - 2,601
Dovetail Games Flight School ($14.99) - 1,899
Table Top Racing: World Tour ($19.99) - 384
Airport Madness 3D ($14.99) - 452

*titles released previously as Early Accesses are not included

Source: Steamspy

viHuGi

Banned
Steam sales for May releases* (from May 1st, 2016 to to May 28th, 2016 | based on Geography splits up to today)

Battleborn (MSRP: $59.99) - 46,261
Cyber City 2157: The Visual Novel ($5.99) - 1,579
Parkitect ($17.99) - 4,534
Earn to Die 2 ($4.99) - 1,211
Super Mega Neo Pug ($0.99) - 3,710
Dungeon of Solthan ($0.99) - 1,788
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster ($29.99) - 55,858
Doom ($59.99) - 175,170
Sins of the Demon ($1.99) - 4,184
Autumn ($2.99) - 2,933
Salt and Sanctuary ($17.99) - 12,675
Homefront: The Revolution ($59.99) - 8,742
Space Pirates and Zombies 2 ($19.99) - 6,503
Cosmic Dust & Rust ($0.99) - 1,040
Youtubers Life ($14.99) - 17,317
Savage: Resurrection ($24.99) - 877
Total War: Warhammer ($59.99) - 119,607
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan ($39.99) - 2,601
Dovetail Games Flight School ($14.99) - 1,899
Table Top Racing: World Tour ($19.99) - 384
Airport Madness 3D ($14.99) - 452

*titles released previously as Early Accesses are not included

Source: Steamspy

Doom is selling everywhere!

So...Overwatch is a new wave...

Ratchet will hit 1 million maybe in another 2 months? Can’t wait to play more of these games, really fun title.

Bioshocker

Well racing are supposed to use wheel and Xbox was never a good combo due XID. I prefer racing games on PS platforms over Xbox.

I mean if you are really into racing games PS4 or PC actually is a better option.

PC is probably a better option, yes, but I'm a console gamer. Having both PS4 and Xbox One at home I definately prefer racing on Xbox mainly thanks to the controller. Although Driveclub is an OK game.

PC is probably a better option, yes, but I'm a console gamer. Having both PS4 and Xbox One at home I definately prefer racing on Xbox mainly thanks to the controller. Although Driveclub is an OK game.

Once you play a racer with a wheel there is no going back to a controller. Xbox has weak wheel support, was the same on 360 compared to ps3.

mejin

Haven't sale prices been far below 299/319 in previous months?

In Europe it's regularly been on sale for under 250 at least.

Microsoft finished the promo for may but I think several retailers didn't raise the price back to $350/$400. You could find XB1 (Gears bundle) for $299 since ever.

So now for june Microsoft is once again with $299, but we will see zero impact. June is just a longer and better month for sales than May.

Bioshocker

I mainly loved Alan Wake for the amazing atmosphere. At least they seemed to have improved gunplay/combat in QB. I noticed unfortunately that variety is a glaring problem in their games. Even the first two Max Payne games, which were really good, were quite linear in a very restricted way with not much variety.

Did the mini show add to the game's plot in a good way? Shame about the boring plot elements. Remember how awesome Night Springs was in Alan Wake for instance? Was very fun to find them playing in the game.

It offered another perspective on things, but it wasn't really essential to the story in my opinion. I could have done with or without it, honestly. Which I guess wasn't what Remedy had in mind.

Night Springs was cool, and the radio shows were great. It added much to the atmosphere, I think. Remedy tried something else i Quantum Break but I think they came up short this time.

I missed a funny character like Barry too. :)

Bioshocker

Once you play a racer with a wheel there is no going back to a controller. Xbox has weak wheel support, was the same on 360 compared to ps3.

Yeah, I know. I did race some with a wheel in the Dreamcast-Xbox-Gamecube-PS2 era, but I don't have room for more stuff in the living room right now. So the Xbox controller has to do.

RowdyReverb

I'm pretty sure Overwatch was strategically intended to be the first game released after schools let out for summer. Can't tell you how many people I've played with on there who are newly out of school

ethomaz

Banned
I don't think any racing game has higher metascore than Forza Motorsport series on last gen. This gen I believe Mario Kart 8 has the best score, but is close to Forza 6.
Meta didn't change the fact GT5 was the flag sim racing last gen on consoles and drives what you expected in these type of games this generation.

Sad that PD looks to doing the opposite with GTS (the lack of time and weather changes are killing me).

Forza's quality or good scores never become a reference last gen and looking at this gen Forza list more and more prestige.

At this rate (two years release) Forza series will be forgotten soon with only a small fan base looking toward for the series.

Man, that Father's Day sale on Best Buy right now is blowing out Xbox Ones. You can get any system with a $75 gift card. For example, the Quantum Break White Xbox One Bundle is $299 with a $75 gift card. I dont think I have seen it any cheaper.

Crazy deal.

ethomaz

Banned
There is no way to play using a controller after use a wheel... it kills the experience. To be fair I prefer not to buy a racing sim if I don't have a wheel or money for it.

But that is me of course ;)

Edit - I played GT Academy one year with controller and I hated the fact my lap times were so bad even after mastered controller that I give up.

I am really happy to see Doom in second place. I hope it really encourages other developers that SP campaigns in FPS still have an ample audience and old and successful franchises are viable for revitalizing if done correctly.

"It's either the best or second best selling Uncharted game. I think the text is implying second best after Uncharted 3, but I can't tell 100%. Either way it's a relatively large number."

Why is this still in the OP? We know for sure now that U4 was the best selling, right?

donny2112

Man, that Father's Day sale on Best Buy right now is blowing out Xbox Ones. You can get any system with a $75 gift card. For example, the Quantum Break White Xbox One Bundle is $299 with a $75 gift card. I dont think I have seen it any cheaper.

Wonder if that's why BB is doing their "Father's Day" sale so far in advance of Father's Day. Microsoft is desperately trying to clear stock before E3, offered great GC option to BB on existing stock to help clear it, and BB tagged on their Father's Day sale to the XB1 sale to share the exposure.

MANUELF

Banned
"It's either the best or second best selling Uncharted game. I think the text is implying second best after Uncharted 3, but I can't tell 100%. Either way it's a relatively large number."

Why is this still in the OP? We know for sure now that U4 was the best selling, right?
Based on leaks, leaks are never posted in the OP

There is no way to play using a controller after use a wheel... it kills the experience. To be fair I prefer not to buy a racing sim if I don't have a wheel or money for it.

But that is me of course ;)

Edit - I played GT Academy one year with controller and I hated the fact my lap times were so bad even after mastered controller that I give up.
Come on man, you’re gonna make my wife upset this fall.

PSVR - $400
GTS - $60
Quality Wheel -$200-$300

It’s too much bread this year on games!

Welfare

Funny thing is that Aquamarine isn't leaking this like creamsugar would. This is like semi official leaks as she won't get in trouble for what she is allowed to post.

A life sentence can be reduced, so why not a perma ban?

Do we have the numbers together for the predictions evaluation? I have a good feeling this month...

ethomaz

Banned
Come on man, you’re gonna make my wife upset this fall.

PSVR - $400
GTS - $60
Quality Wheel -$200-$300

It’s too much bread this year on games!
You will need to say that VR absolutely requires wheel in racing games for highest immersion.

I believe that :)

Dinjooh

Do we have the numbers together for the predictions evaluation? I have a good feeling this month...

image.php

That is absolute nightmare fuel.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Yeah mod should just unban Aqua at this point. Is better even for them.

Not to mention i understand if Aqua don't wanna back here, for obvius reasons... would just be a bit sad.

Your avatar.. not something I was ready for first thing in the morning.

Aqua has been posting really detailed analysis. It's a fantastic read I recommend everyone checking out.

All credits go to Aquamarine:

Update on the attach rate between the PS4 and XB1 as of the March 2016 NPD.

PS4: 5.2
XB1: 5.3

I believe the last time we had an update was after Halo 5's launch or near the end of last year. I can't recall which.

RexNovis

Banned

I believe the last time we had an update was after Halo 5's launch or near the end of last year. I can't recall which.

Wow so despite the widening HW gap the attach rate gap is actually closing? I mean it's practically even now. That's kind of crazy.

Wow so despite the widening HW gap the attach rate gap is actually closing? I mean it's practically even now. That's kind of crazy.

Whoops, I misquoted Aqua. I corrected the numbers (5.2/5.3 instead of 5.3/5.4).

Edit: And Aqua will be providing a more recent update soon.

Welfare

I don't understand this. It's growing in favor for the PS4. Back in March of 2014 the attach ratios were XB1: 3.1 and PS4: 2.33, and now it's 5.3 to 5.2

To put those into useable numbers

March 2014
XB1: 3.1 x 2.529m = 7,839,900
PS4: 2.33 x 2.912m = 6,784,960

January 2015
XB1: 3.97 x 6.339m = 25,165,830
PS4: 3.76 x 6.87m = 25,831,200

November 2015
XB1: 4.8 x ~9.7m = ~46,560,000 (Actually slightly higher)
PS4: 4.7 x ~10.8m = ~50,760,000 (Actually slightly higher)

March 2016
XB1: 5.3 x ~11.7m = ~62,010,000 (Actually slightly higher)
PS4: 5.2 x ~13.3m = ~69,160,000 (Actually slightly higher)

ethomaz

Banned

It is a question of time to PS4 has a better attach rate.

I will wait the new attach rate from Aqua with Unchated launch.

Shin-chan

So if Aqua is providing semi official leaked information (authorised by NPD?) do we think she was the user behind NPD George a few months back? Didn't he say he was being allowed to share certain information with us? And wasn't he banned for being an alt account of another permanently banned user (possibly speculation on my part)?

Welfare

So if Aqua is providing semi official leaked information (authorised by NPD?) do we think she was the user behind NPD George a few months back? Didn't he say he was being allowed to share certain information with us? And wasn't he banned for being an alt account of another permanently banned user (possibly speculation on my part)?

According to Aqua she signed George up using her computer, and George was actually a different person.

RexNovis

Banned
I don't understand this. It's growing in favor for the PS4. Back in March of 2014 the attach ratios were XB1: 3.1 and PS4: 2.33, and now it's 5.3 to 5.2

To put those into useable numbers

March 2014
XB1: 3.1 x 2.529m = 7,839,900
PS4: 2.33 x 2.912m = 6,784,960

January 2015
XB1: 3.97 x 6.339m = 25,165,830
PS4: 3.76 x 6.87m = 25,831,200

November 2015
XB1: 4.8 x ~9.7m = ~46,560,000 (Actually slightly higher)
PS4: 4.7 x ~10.8m = ~50,760,000 (Actually slightly higher)

March 2016
XB1: 5.3 x ~11.7m = ~62,010,000 (Actually slightly higher)
PS4: 5.2 x ~13.3m = ~69,160,000 (Actually slightly higher)

Right that's what I meant. Sorry if my wording was unclear. I think it's impressive that the system with the larger install base is rapidly catching up to the system with the smaller install base. The more HW sold the harder it is to maintain a high attach rare let alone increase it. At least that's how I understand it in my head maybe in wrong on that.

Top Bottom