• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2016

allan-bh

More data, courtesy of our friend Aquamarine on VG Chartz:

*Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End- 879k (828K standalone, 51K bundles)
*Doom- 521K (PS4: 276K, XBO: 244K)
*Overwatch- 361K for consoles (PS4: 203K, XBO: 158K)
*Call of Duty: Black Ops III- 228K in total (84K standalone, 144K bundles)

noobie

Banned
More data, courtesy of our friend Aquamarine on VG Chartz:

*Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End- 879k (828K standalone, 51K bundles)
*Doom- 521K (PS4: 276K, XBO: 244K)
*Overwatch- 361K for consoles (PS4: 203K, XBO: 158K)
*Call of Duty: Black Ops III- 228K in total (84K standalone, 144K bundles)

very little difference between PS4 & XBO in Doom. Is Doom more linked to Xbox Brand?

Kill3r7

Accordim to ekim, the current model of Xbox One will receive another price drop today: $279.

The holidays this year should be really interesting. If it weren't for Scorpio and Neo I would think that the PS4/X1 consoles would have a chance to do better than last year.

watdaeff4

very little difference between PS4 & XBO in Doom. Is Doom more linked to Xbox Brand?

Not really. Probably a result of Uncharted 4 eating into Doom's potential sales on ps4.

I agree with ThisOne - just to expand, I think it's more of the difference that shooters in general are still skewed towards the XB brand esp in 'Merica. Yes more sell on PS4, but that's because we are getting a fairly significant user base gap now. And those of us who have both will often buy Multiplatform shooters on XB1 as that controller is more designed for shooters and often for those of us who have both, just feels more natural for shooters (exceptions do exist of course however before I get slammed for showing an XB1 preference on a particular item)

allan-bh

Now we have the complete comparison between Halo 5 and Uncharted 4.

Halo 5: Guardians- 935k [842k standalone, 93k bundle] (5 days)

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End- 879k [828k standalone, 51k bundle] (19 days)

Yeah, lol.
So what do we expect from a marketing deal? I'd say selling more software. So either the deal was not effective or poorly made, leading to no additional sales, or it had an effect and sales would have been even worse without. Sad both ways.

Leads me to a question for our excel wizards:
On NPD charts 2016, top 10, how many times was an XboxOne version sold more often than the PS4 version?
5 months, so 50 spots to take. Exclusives like QB counting of course.

ethomaz

Banned
New prices for Xbox One

500GB: $279
1TB: $299
Elite: $349
Pics are cool :8

Ck7WoC3XIAAoBC3.jpg

watdaeff4

Yeah, lol.
So what do we expect from a marketing deal? I'd say selling more software. So either the deal was not effective or poorly made, leading to no additional sales, or it had an effect and sales would have been even worse without. Sad both ways.

Leads me to a question for our excel wizards:
On NPD charts 2016, top 10, how many times was an XboxOne version sold more often than the PS4 version?
5 months, so 50 spots to take. Exclusives like QB counting of course.

Something, Something, numerator/denominator, something, something.

Lol, ok.

I mean, to be complete, why don't you add in WiiU? why just limit it to two consoles if there isn't an agenda here?

I mean, to be complete, why don't you add in WiiU? why just limit it to two consoles if there isn't an agenda here?
Thanks for explaining. That's much better.

Sure, why not adding WiiU. But it will only make it complicated. Also - who cares about WiiU. It's a sales thread, so comparing sales of hardware and software should be fine.

For my "agenda" - I think that's no real secret around here. And I think also that as long as it doesn't get personal it's totally okay. For example, Statham is awesome because he has an opinion and I enjoy his posts. Does he have an agenda? I don't care.

Maybe I would even criticise Sony if they do stuff I would call bullshit. Like not making a Slim console.

watdaeff4

Thanks for explaining. That's much better.

Sure, why not adding WiiU. But it will only make it complicated. Also - who cares about WiiU. It's a sales thread, so comparing sales of hardware and software should be fine.

For my "agenda" - I think that's no real secret around here. And I think also that as long as it doesn't get personal it's totally okay. For example, Statham is awesome because he has an opinion and I enjoy his posts. Does he have an agenda? I don't care.

Maybe I would even criticise Sony if they do stuff I would call bullshit. Like not making a Slim console.

Thanks for admitting you do have an agenda, sorry I just had to laugh as some of the regulars on SalesGAF try to act like it's all facts in here and not agendas/fanboyism.

Granted you aren't as blatant as some, I'll give you credit for that.

EDIT: and if it's against forum etiquette to call out obvious fanboyism, I apologize, I was told in the past when it's obvious it's okay to call out for what it is.

Ricky_R

Now we have the complete comparison between Halo 5 and Uncharted 4.

Halo 5: Guardians- 935k [842k standalone, 93k bundle] (5 days)

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End- 879k [828k standalone, 51k bundle] (19 days)

Who would've thunk Uncharted could be so close to Halo in the US.

Thanks for admitting you do have an agenda, sorry I just had to laugh as some of the regulars on SalesGAF try to act like it's all facts in here and not agendas/fanboyism.

Granted you aren't as blatant as some, I'll give you credit for that.

EDIT: and if it's against forum etiquette to call out obvious fanboyism, I apologize, I was told in the past when it's obvious it's okay to call out for what it is.

This is amazing.

slavesnyder, agenda fanboy confirmed.

watdaeff4

No sweat. Be careful with calling people fanboys nevertheless. It only leads to tears and bans.

Thanks - if you will allow me to give a better, more civilized response and discuss - at what point would you say it's good and not sad?

I mean with the growing user gap, it's going to be pretty Rare from this point forward that XB1 will be the leading platform (sales-wise) for a game over PS4.

I would argue since it's relatively close it's not bad, but on the flip side, I wonder if the "closeness" is due to the marketing deal or what I stated in an earlier post on this page.

I agree with ThisOne - just to expand, I think it's more of the difference that shooters in general are still skewed towards the XB brand esp in 'Merica. Yes more sell on PS4, but that's because we are getting a fairly significant user base gap now. And those of us who have both will often buy Multiplatform shooters on XB1 as that controller is more designed for shooters and often for those of us who have both, just feels more natural for shooters (exceptions do exist of course however before I get slammed for showing an XB1 preference on a particular item)
i love ds4. In fact I play fighting games and action games with it and can't perform even half as well with an Xbox controller. But clearly the stick layout and ergonomic were designed with camera movement in mind. It's ok to say many prefer shooters on Xbox because of the controller lol.

watdaeff4

i love ds4. In fact I play fighting games and action games with it and can't perform even half as well with an Xbox controller. But clearly the stick layout and ergonomic were designed with camera movement in mind. It's ok to say many prefer shooters on Xbox because of the controller lol.

I think both controllers are really good, but I think DS4 is better suited for some games (fighting games and Souls games in particular or any others that require a lot of use of the R1/L1 buttons in particular) and XB1 pad is better for others (primarily racing or shooters).

I think the Elite can somewhat bring the XB1 more on level for Souls games, but that's a different conversation.

As far as the bolded - it's a statement I made before on here - and therefore why do you think I now make the disclaimer? Got flamed for it.

Thanks - if you will allow me to give a better, more civilized response and discuss - at what point would you say it's good and not sad?

I mean with the growing user gap, it's going to be pretty Rare from this point forward that XB1 will be the leading platform (sales-wise) for a game over PS4.

I would argue since it's relatively close it's not bad, but on the flip side, I wonder if the "closeness" is due to the marketing deal or what I stated in an earlier post on this page.
That's roundabout the question I had.
So what do we expect from a marketing deal? I'd say selling more software. So either the deal was not effective or poorly made, leading to no additional sales, or it had an effect and sales would have been even worse without.
I Don't know how much marketing muscle they showed as I am not in the US. Having marketing rights and doing marketing are two things. From the little I know I would say there was not much marketing/branding done.
But if they did a great campaign, for a game that is in a genre that's associated with Xbox like no other, and all they can do is a tie - that's not so good.
Let's not forget that In the same month there was uncharted, taking away gaming time and money exclusively out of the PS pool. I firmly believe that this is important. Games are so fucking expensive and/or time is so sparse that not everyone would buy more than one game per month.
The gap thing: It's somethingsomething over a million more playstations sold in the US. But thats not so much of a difference when you consider the overall install base.

So short answer: I just don't know it and I'd love to know, too.

So, hypothetical.

You have a AAA game, you do all the budgeting, and it turns out you have, say, $10m for media.

A 1st party platform can come in, say "hey, we want to be your marketing partner on this game. In exchange for exclusive tagging at the end of commercials, as well as in any print ads you do, we'll give you an additional $10m in co-op marketing to spend."

As the publisher, you agree to that in order to expand your marketing reach, knowing that all the marketing will be tagged with one partner.

As the partner, you do that to ensure your brand is the one associated with that game, hoping to build your brand.

Having the sales split in your favor is nice, sure, and the 1st party should certainly expect a stronger split in sales because of all the tagged marketing.

But the sales and the sales split of that individual title isn't the primary reason for doing that kind of deal.

If you do the math on the royalties at around call it $10/unit, you have to sell an awful lot of incremental units to make up for the co-marketing you promised.

So these deals are primarily to brand build, to strengthen partnership with a pub, and, as a side effect, gain split share of the game's SW sales (and hopefully raise overall sales of the game due to stronger marketing support).

They don't always work out great. Sometimes they do.

watdaeff4

That's roundabout the question I had.

I Don't know how much marketing muscle they showed as I am not in the US. Having marketing rights and doing marketing are two things. From the little I know I would say there was not much marketing/branding done.
But if they did a great campaign, for a game that is in a genre that's associated with Xbox like no other, and all they can do is a tie - that's not so good.
Let's not forget that In the same month there was uncharted, taking away gaming time and money exclusively out of the PS pool. I firmly believe that this is important. Games are so fucking expensive and/or time is so sparse that not everyone would buy more than one game per month.
The gap thing: It's somethingsomething over a million more playstations sold in the US. But thats not so much of a difference when you consider the overall install base.

So short answer: I just don't know it and I'd love to know, too.

I think it's fair to say don't know vs. this was good vs. this was bad/sad when we really don't know the right answer or what the expectations are exactly.

I think the gap has to be >1.5 million if not getting in the ballpark of 2million at this point. With what the install base is at each platform is in the US (~15million give or take I believe) that's a sizable difference when we are taking about a difference of a 30 thousand copies.

I think Uncharted does make a difference for sure. But I never heard that argument that CoD (or whatever game) sold more on PS4 but we have to account for the fact Halo 5 (or whatever MS exclusive) also released within the last few weeks and ate into those sales. So these are the types of things that confuses me about Sales talk on here (not saying you specifically just in general)

thank you, sir. Awesome as always.
Sometimes I just mix up priorities.
I agree that "spicing up your brand" is the biggest reason and additional sales are a nice extra.

I think it's fair to say don't know vs. this was good vs. this was bad/sad when we really don't know the right answer or what the expectations are exactly.
That's the best part in being an expert. Life's no David Cage game. No chance to check out alternative realities. You just don't know what would have happened if...
And retrospective, you can always say you knew it from the start.
I think the gap has to be >1.5 million if not getting in the ballpark of 2million at this point. With what the install base is at each platform is in the US (~15million give or take I believe) that's a sizable difference when we are taking about a difference of a 30 thousand copies.
My bad. Lost the overview. About 2 makes quite a difference. Will take into consideration.
I think Uncharted does make a difference for sure. But I never heard that argument that CoD (or whatever game) sold more on PS4 but we have to account for the fact Halo 5 (or whatever MS exclusive) also released within the last few weeks and ate into those sales. So these are the types of things that confuses me about Sales talk on here (not saying you specifically just in general)
Well, I think this effect is real. But once again, it's hard to proof.
And don't get confused about sales talk. Just enjoy the madness and decide for yourself what is fact, opinion, hyperbole or just plain stupid.

watdaeff4

My bad. Lost the overview. About 2 makes quite a difference. Will take into consideration.
Well, I think this effect is real. But once again, it's hard to proof.

I don't think it's 2 million yet, but IIRC correctly it was about 1.3 to 1.4 or so at the start of 2016 so it has to be getting close to 2 million now.

I do think it's a real effect regarding UC4, don't deny that, just was mentioning that I only hear that argument (and you weren't the one who initially stated it on this page) one way and not the other.

Cheers.

I agree that "spicing up your brand" is the biggest reason and additional sales are a nice extra.

The relationship building can be a massive factor as well.

Not saying this is the case, but in this example, perhaps this partnership was done in the hopes that a continuing partnership can be established for games with the publisher that are at a much higher potential sales level like TES. Perhaps offers of dev support can also be agreed to, ensuring the title runs as well on a particular platform as it can. Again, not saying this is the reality here, just saying it's possible.

Lots of reasons for these kinds of agreements. No two situations are exactly the same too.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
I don't think it's 2 million yet, but IIRC correctly it was about 1.3 to 1.4 or so at the start of 2016 so it has to be getting close to 2 million now.

Gap was 1.29 million by end of 2015, and is actually 1.74 million.

I believe we still need to wait many months to see 2 million with the Slim incoming, but yeah 2 million by end of year will definitively happen.

Gap was 1.29 million by end of 2015, and is actually 1.74 million.

I believe we still need to wait many months to see 2 million with the Slim incoming, but yeah 2 million by end of year will definitively happen.
Thanks, Ryng. Always good to have the one who knows the math in here.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, hypothetical.

You have a AAA game, you do all the budgeting, and it turns out you have, say, $10m for media.

A 1st party platform can come in, say "hey, we want to be your marketing partner on this game. In exchange for exclusive tagging at the end of commercials, as well as in any print ads you do, we'll give you an additional $10m in co-op marketing to spend."

As the publisher, you agree to that in order to expand your marketing reach, knowing that all the marketing will be tagged with one partner.

As the partner, you do that to ensure your brand is the one associated with that game, hoping to build your brand.

Having the sales split in your favor is nice, sure, and the 1st party should certainly expect a stronger split in sales because of all the tagged marketing.

But the sales and the sales split of that individual title isn't the primary reason for doing that kind of deal.

If you do the math on the royalties at around call it $10/unit, you have to sell an awful lot of incremental units to make up for the co-marketing you promised.

So these deals are primarily to brand build, to strengthen partnership with a pub, and, as a side effect, gain split share of the game's SW sales (and hopefully raise overall sales of the game due to stronger marketing support).

They don't always work out great. Sometimes they do.
On this note, I noticed there were way less partnerships at E3 this year.

I wonder if the math isn't working out as much as it used to for the console vendors.

Kill3r7

On this note, I noticed there were way less partnerships at E3 this year.

I wonder if the math isn't working out as much as it used to for the console vendors.

Good point. Although Sony has to be ecstatic of their partnership with Activision. The COD bundle has done really well for them and Destiny prior to that. Outside of the big AAA titles I don't think it matters. Furthermore, the vast majority of games are selling better on the PS4 regardless of marketing deals.

On a slight tangent, what are the odds of X1Fat hitting $199 this BF?

gtj1092

Are you serious that became a meme of Xbox fans in PAL threads. Whenever a 3rd party game sold alot more on ps4, x1 fans would claim it was because x1 owners were playing "x" exclusive.

watdaeff4

Are you serious that became a meme of Xbox fans in PAL threads. Whenever a 3rd party game sold alot more on ps4, x1 fans would claim it was because x1 owners were playing "x" exclusive.

Thanks for clarifying, I don't visit the PAL threads, so can't comment on those, I was referring to it being brought up in NPD threads. (unless it's a Sony exclusive)

Again, thanks for the response.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
In memory of Rex.......

My prediction is that it's 2 million by end of summer, much less end of year.

PS4 must outsell XB1 by 260,000 for break that 2 million gap.

No way PS4 wins August, and if wins September can't be by how much to cancell the August gap.

So, PS4 must beat XB1 by 260,000 in June and July, aka 130,000 at month...

Could be possible. Though i don't think will happen.

Top Bottom