• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For May 2017

Kolx

is it tho

Considering how both games turned out? no, but if you said that like one year ago people would laugh at you. The creator of Killzone selling on one platform more than Mass Effect one of the biggest RPG franchises ever on three platforms sounds insane.

BTW how Injustice already outsold MK8 LTD if MK8 was the best selling single sku of the month going by what Reggie said in the interview to Geoff?

Because MK8 is on 1 platform. It's the best selling individual sku but the combined performance of Xbox and PlayStation puts Injustice above it

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry buts it's absolutely nintendos problem. They decided not to put controls in place to allow them to ramp up production. To say that their was nothing they could do is disingenuous.

Nintendo has no control over who companies decide to sell components to. They cannot compete with companies like Apple.

More foundaries are coming in to play due to the demand but their impact won't be noticeable immediately.

Acting as if there was/is something they could do just shows you don't know what you are talking about.

Edit:

Sure they could have used more exotic components and increased the base price, older components and crippled the performance or do what they did.

Mr. Tibbs

Yeah, I knew it was bad, but I was happy to see it on the list, at least.

Chart position doesn't mean much. Just because Dishonored 2 didn't make an appearance on the NPD back in November, doesn't mean it performed worse than Battleborn, despite the latter being the 4th best selling title last May.

Can someone please explain GTAV to me? Actual serious question.

Is there another example of another game having this kind of legs in console history? Like, even excluding the sales from last gen, it seems unprecedented for a game to essentially have never exited the top 10 since its release 2.5 years ago. Maybe I'm way off base on that though. I just don't quite get it.

Really nice to see Fire Emblem Echoes take the top of the 3DS/Vita charts. Granted there probably wasn't much else to really compete with it, but it's good regardless - hopefully it will sell strongly enough to encourage them to make more remakes of some of the older games.

Maxinas

Really nice to see Fire Emblem Echoes take the top of the 3DS charts. Granted there probably wasn't much else to really compete with it, but it's good regardless - hopefully it will sell strongly enough to encourage them to make more remakes of some of the older games.

ftfy.

ZoddGutts

Yeah, I can see now why Sega is considering putting Persona on PC now. Also great to see Nier hold on, dem legs shouldn't be underestimated, doing well in Japan, Steam and on NPD. 2 million worldwide seller incoming?

Ridley327

Is there another example of another game having this kind of legs in console history? Like, even excluding the sales from last gen, it seems unprecedented for a game to essentially have never exited the top 10 since its release 2.5 years ago. Maybe I'm way off base on that though. I just don't quite get it.

There's been some other extraordinarily leggy games in the past, like Wii Play and Minecraft. Some games just hit that sweet spot with consumers and become easy pick-ups right alongside their new hardware.

joe_zazen

Persona 5 falling off the charts entirely is the least surprising thing news ever. A fan base waiting for a JRPG that's been highly anticipated for four years dug right in with no delay, so legs were never an option..

?

P4/P4G had great word of mouth and legs.

border

Wii Play would probably be the closest example, even though that was a huge cheat.

My presumption is that there's just a huge number of people playing GTA Online as a "lifestyle game". That's all they play, they love grinding up a progression chart, and when they buy a new console their first purchase is GTAV. I think it's pretty much been shown that GTAV and new console sales are very closely related.

Elandyll

Banned
Hey look it's GTA5 about to reach a bajillions copies sold.
Nah, they were at 99.6 bajillions at the end of 2016.
I think they're approaching a Trijillion now.

And if they look at what Bethesda did with Skyrim... The Sky's the limit.

GTA V on
IOS, Android, Ouya, PSVR, Ti 83, Oric Atmos and Blackberry, here we go!

NSESN

Because MK8 is on 1 platform. It's the best selling individual sku but the combined performance of Xbox and PlayStation puts Injustice above it

You didn't understand my question. Unless MK8 sold better in May than April, it would be impossible to Injustice have better LTD. It should probably be Reggie giving wrong messages again tho.

Ridley327

Farpoint is at #16?

A PSVR exclusive? That's unexpected and fairly amazing, isn't it?

These lists are still revenue based, right? Being available with the gun controller would certainly boost it past the games it cleared, even if it sold less units overall. That said, any VR-only game charting is quite a feat.

Anth0ny

Incredible game + first title people buy with new Xbox or Playstation hardware + GTA Online with constant updates + insane popularity with streamers and youtubers + extremely popular mods constantly releasing (though Take 2 seems intent on taking that one out of the equation)

And it's totally unprecedented, especially considering how well the game has been able to hold its value since launch.

I think people who buy new consoles every month buy GTA 5 as one of their first time games. thats my guess atleast.

Ashtar

Surprised PS4 #1?

Would have thought Switch.

Also, very happy to se Farpoint up there. Great to showcase some VR software health.
Yeah me too apparently it's supply constrained, I wonder if I'll be able to get one before August when rabbids come out

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Zelda fans still coming at Horizon, let it go guys

It's like winning the race going back and beating the shit out of second place to make sure they never cross the line. Not necessary guys.

Ridley327

Yeah me too apparently it's supply constrained, I wonder if I'll be able to get one before August when rabbids come out

I would bank on there being a big shipment just in time for Splatoon 2, so if I were you, I would definitely watch retailers that week for their shipments.

Loudninja

Oh yeah Horizon is number one again for this week chart in the UK.

Thats dude to the sale so I wonder what June will look like.

Top Bottom