• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2009

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Data care of NPD Group
Reporting Period: 11/1 - 11/28/09

PlayStation 2 203.1K
PlayStation 3 710.4K
PSP 293.9K
Xbox 360 819.5K
Wii 1.26M
Nintendo DS 1.70M

CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* (360) |Nov-09| 4.20M
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* (PS3) |Nov-09| 1.87M
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII (WII) |Nov-09| 1.39M
ASSASSIN'S CREED II (360) |Nov-09| 794.7K
LEFT 4 DEAD 2 (360) |Nov-09| 744.0K
WII SPORTS RESORT* (WII) |Jul-09| 720.2K
WII FIT PLUS* (WII) |Oct-09| 679.0K
ASSASSIN'S CREED II (PS3) |Nov-09| 448.4K
DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS* (360) |Nov-09| 362.1K
MARIO KART W/ WHEEL (WII) |Apr-08| 315.0K

(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

---------------------

Analysis from NPD's Anita Frazier:

Anita Frazier said:
Overall

"The industry declined 7.6% versus last November, but still produced enough revenue to make this month the second-best November in industry history. YTD the industry is still up 7% over 2007. I think we all have to realize the incredible year that was 2008."

"Based on seasonality the industry looks like it will reach $20B for the year, which means December would have to be up over last year by 11%. Impossible? I don't think so. More positive economic news combined with 'frugal fatigue' could positively impact industry sales during these last weeks of the holiday season. Breaking even seems more out of reach. In order to break even to last year, December sales would have to be up 36% over December 2008."

"There was even heavier promotional activity this year than normal, and while they seem to have benefitted hardware sales, they don't appear to have positively impacted software sales since unit sales of software are down even more than dollar sales are for that category."

Hardware

"All hardware systems realized an increase over October but one would expect that from seasonality alone . I was really impressed by the performance of the PS2, which after 109 months in market is still experiencing strong sales (Nov'09 unit sales of over 200K - only a small decline from last November) ."

"While there has been a lot of focus on Wii sales as compared to last year, the system was still the best-selling console system by a margin of 54%. At this same point in the PS2 lifecycle, the PS2 was down in unit sales by 23% over the previous year, but as history has shown, it continues to have a great deal of life left in it. So focusing on a comparison to Wii's stellar 2008 performance masks the reality of just how well this system is selling."

"The PS3 realized the greatest increase over last year's November sales and had its third best month in unit sales ever, coming in just under Decembers '07 and '08."

Software

"Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has achieved the top spot for first-month sales of any game at the title level. Halo 3 previously held the spot when it sold 3.3 million units in September '07 in 12 days at retail. MW2 bested Halo 3's daily sales rate by 16% in its 19 days at retail in November."

"While this year's top-selling item bested last year's by 283%, it couldn't make up for softness elsewhere. The top 50 games this year sold 5% less units than did the top 50 last year."

Mod Abuse
Dragona Akehi said:
Alright here comes the one and only warning you're all going to get:

Anyone else who makes the claim that the 360 outsold the PS3 because of "the mass bannings" after this post is going to get a six month ban.

It's fucking ridiculous: it's the same stupid argument that PS2 sold because people kept rebuying them because they broke. So knock it off.
/Mod Abuse

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The 360 outsold the PS3?! You've got to be shitting me.

[edit] Holy crapplesauce @ MW2!! 6 million! O_O

Damn, very healthy sales for the HD twins.

Healthy for just about every console actually. The heavy Wii domination is definitely over though.

2hqwcr8.jpg

Akia

This November it pays to be multiplatform.

Activision & Ubisoft are laughing all the way to the bank.

Shizzlee

EviLore said:
Data care of NPD Group
Reporting Period: 11/1 - 11/28/09

PlayStation 2 203.1K
PlayStation 3 710.4K
PSP 293.9K
Xbox 360 819.5K
Wii 1.26M
Nintendo DS 1.70M

CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 4.20M
CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2* PS3 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD Nov-09 1.87M
NEW SUPER MARIO BROS. WII WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Nov-09 1.39M
ASSASSIN'S CREED II 360 UBISOFT Nov-09 794.7K
LEFT 4 DEAD 2 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Nov-09 744.0K
WII SPORTS RESORT* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Jul-09 720.2K
WII FIT PLUS* WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Oct-09 679.0K
ASSASSIN'S CREED II PS3 UBISOFT Nov-09 448.4K
DRAGON AGE: ORIGINS* 360 ELECTRONIC ARTS Nov-09 362.1K
MARIO KART W/ WHEEL WII NINTENDO OF AMERICA Apr-08 315.0K

jh52io.gif

JudgeN

Wii, no were near the 2M it had last Christmas.

Is it just me or does AC2 number on both consoles seem really low?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wow, I thought the PS3 was going to come out on top (of the 360).

and as usual everyone bows to the Wii.

good to see the GOTY at number five. glad to see NSMBW and AC2 nice and high up.

so many 500s

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
There's no way NSMBW will make up for the lead MW2 has on the 360. lol Reggie

Watch him cop out and say worldwide sales are better than MW2 360. :lol

ZeoVGM

Banned
I just want to say that I have been calling ever since the PS3 price drop that 360 would STILL outsell it in November!

And it did by even more than I thought it would, when most people were POSITIVE PS3 would outsell 360.

Yes, I'm being cocky. Look at my tag. Just let me have this one moment. :lol

shinshero

That was kind of unexpected (especially after the BF numbers). I guess people at the beginning of the month were right.

Mrbob

Holy crap, 360 over ps3.

Also, some epic software numbers for 360 this month. No more denying 360 is the software beast for this generation of systems.

MW2 crazy numbers.

L4D2 and Ass Creed 2 awesome numbers as well. Dragon Age charting on 360 as well with good numbers.

Top Bottom