• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

Kusagari said:
No it isn't about games. Every game that's exclusive to PS3 has been supposed to help it and none of them have done anything. The 360 had almost nothing exclusive this holiday besides Fable 3 and Kinect stuff and it's still beating PS3 and Wii. These are just the lame excuses PS3 always gets.

It's not about games? It's a videogame machine! We can't just blame Kevin Butler, and marketing all the time.

GT5 - botched release, subpar reviews for a GT game, no longer a big deal in the U.S.

LPB 2 - looks great, not a system seller, but it is the type of game that I think would sell well for the holidays and boost PS3 sales.

They wouldn't have beat the 360 no matter what either way. Kinect is doing well, it's the COD machine etc etc.

Lunchbox said:
turn on your tv, kevin butler's babbling right this very moment on espn. and he will do so every 5/6 mins for the rest of the day

The fact that use KB for GT 5 was stupid also .
Trying to make a funny GT add just shows how stupid Sony marketing this gen has been .

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Arnie said:
I would like an honest answer to this question: If Microsoft or Nintendo released a new Halo/Gears of War/Mario/Zelda, would it be on par with expectations for it to only reach 8th place after its first three days of sales? Considering that these games are usually the ones to push records and sales figures on their first day alone. Because my bet would be that they would be near the top.

Exactly. If Gears 3 comes it at 8th I would write it off as a bomba. One could argue that GT5 has longer legs (deeper game, DLC, patches incoming) but I feel it's fair at this point to say that the sales are hugely disappointing if not borderline bomba.

Bad reviews + unclear launch date + poor marketing + poor sales of PS3 in general = bomba

shock!

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
nextgeneration said:
Are these percentage drops/gains correct?

Nintendo DS: 1.5 Million (-11.8%)
Xbox 360: 1.37 Million (+68%)
Wii: 1.27 Million (+0.8%)
PS3: 530k (-25%)

Didn't last November cover only 4 weeks of sales as opposed to this November's 5 weeks of sales?
November is always 4 weeks.

Metalmurphy said:
I was under the impression it did very well in Japan, didn't it?

Decent opening week, fairly major collapse in the second week IIRC. It's looking unlikely it will top the million mark without a Best re-release, bundles etc.

Dartastic

gerg said:
No.

Microsoft has released PR stating that they've sold 2.5 million Kinect units worldwide.
Uh. Why not? Each Kinect comes with it, and If that software hit 2.5 million in the USA... Connect the dots.

FrankT

Metalmurphy said:
I was under the impression it did very well in Japan, didn't it?

Don't know thought it was the lowest mainline entry yet with an 87% drop off second week. Not sure.

CozMick

Banned
Stripper13 said:
As someone who bought and returned GT5 due to it's insanely bad design/UI choices and pathetic technical issues (premium/standard cars, awful textures/effects etc)... Even I feel that it's too early to call out GT5 in terms of sales numbers.

The GT games have always been a bit on the side of 'slow-burners' that reach at the very least, significant numbers. More importantly, as far as the sim racing genre goes (on consoles), GT5 is fantastic and offers just as much accessibility/assistance as Forza does... so I don't think the comparison is appropriate at all.

If you're going to question the health of GT5 (which will trump Forza 3 in sales despite any subjective quality/opinionated stance) you are questioning the health of the sim racing genre on consoles as a whole - as GT5 will be the best selling sim racer this generation without a doubt.

Sales are nothing to worry about, a $40 "demo" with 4-5 tracks and 70 cars sold 5 million copies! (1.2 million in the US for the threads sake)

Yeah but MS wouldn't fuck up Gears marketing like Sony did with GT5. It would never find itself in 8th place in the same time frame.

Banned
CozMick said:
GT5: Prologue Worldwide >5,000,000

What makes anyone think that GT5 won't go above and beyond this figure?

Europe is a beast where this game is involved.

Serious question.

Wouldnt 5 Million by half of what the other GTs sold?

shinnn

Bizzyb said:
Can it be that GT5's UBER Realism is actually scaring off some would-be buyers??

Seems people nowadays want racing games that are "put your brain on hold" fun

Not "Brake Dammit-BRAAAKE" "fun".

I think Forza is the closest the masses want to "realism"
i'm playing GT5 for 3 days, and it's the easier racing game that I've played in years :lol

Besides some licenses tests, the racing and driving is sooo easy. The rubber band AI is so noticeable.

user_nat said:
November is always 4 weeks.

That's what I thought, but Evilore has this in the very first post. ;)

5- week month; reporting period 10/31/10 through 11/27/10

Evilore - can you correct this? It should only be 4 weeks. :)

Ranger X

All this talk about the Gran Turismo 5 and the game counted for a mere week or something. NFS had 2-3 weeks and only managed to slip before it and didn't place well in the month. December will be the month you will judge GT5.

What I think is interesting however is how GT5 doesn't seem to make people buy the console preemptively. In fact, it's exactly what I expected. Pretty much all owners of PS3s will buy it but it won't bring many newcomers until it's bundled massively.

Jtyettis said:
Don't know thought it was the lowest mainline entry yet with an 87% drop off second week. Not sure.

It also seem to have bad word of mouth , which i can see happening GT5 is a half done game even if i like it allot .
GT 5 might have sold systems but after 4 years ,nope that was not going to happen.

Lunchbox

Banned
gogogow said:
Did they have those ads well before the releasedate of GT5? I'm not in the US, so I don't know.
not sure about before release but during the thanksgiving football games (november 25th), it was on almost every commercial break

Kusagari

gregor7777 said:
Yeah but MS wouldn't fuck up Gears marketing like Sony did with GT5. It would never find itself in 8th place in the same time frame.

Well let's be honest. Gears is a bigger franchise than GT in America now.

thcsquad

Kusagari said:
I see the Kevin Butler ads far more than 360/Kinect or Wii ads. Might just be the channels I watch though. I imagine MS is going after a more family oriented audience with Kinect ads and might be advertising on ABC or something.

I see Kevin Butler ads all the time, but its never the GT ad. Only the Best Buy bundle. So I think 'lack of advertising' is not a good argument for the PS3's poor showing, but it probably isn't helping GT5. If I didn't follow video game news online, I wouldn't know GT5 exists.

szaromir said:
I think you underestimate the fact that FM3 has been bundled to hell and back, which in GT terms counts as sales.

NPD doesn't count bundled software with hardware. So unless you are getting numbers from the developer/publisher or using another source, those bundles will never count in this thread.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
nextgeneration said:
Are these percentage drops/gains correct?

Nintendo DS: 1.5 Million (-11.8%)
Xbox 360: 1.37 Million (+68%)
Wii: 1.27 Million (+0.8%)
PS3: 530k (-25%)

Didn't last November cover only 4 weeks of sales as opposed to this November's 5 weeks of sales?

This npd was 4 weeks was it not?

szaromir

Banned
Technosteve said:
Kinetic might do ipad numbers in the short term. I wonder if they can keep up a million + a month.
They can't. There is very little reason to pick it up beyond initial line-up, whereas iPad is more and more useful. Which is why initial sales were such a big deal for MS, to gain these 5M users right out of the gate to support future (sparse) releases.

Dartastic

bigtroyjon said:
Uh, where are you getting these software numbers?
I was going off his post and drawing assumptions. If it sold that much in the us it'd be a no brained. If that 2.5 is a worldwide number, then there totally shouldn't be assumptions drawn. Sorry, I'm on my phone and it's hard to see all thats going on.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
The-Warning said:
GT5 - botched release, subpar reviews for a GT game, no longer a big deal in the U.S.

Come on now, I don't think that can be said after such a late release in November, also we know that GT is normally a slow burner.

What was GT4's launch sales figures in the US?

Interesting, if the PS3 sells any less than 1.2m in December (it did 1.36m last year) then it will have sold less in 2010 than it did in 2009 in the US. I'm amazed by that given that 2009 only had 3 months of slim / price cut sales vs all of 2010 at the reduced price + Move in September.

Bizzyb

Banned
Amir0x said:
odd since, ya know, GT5 will outsell Forza easily. Just sayin', maybe you should just point to NFS.

I said that the most realism they want. Hot Pursuit is anything BUT realism. It's an arcade racer at heart.

Jus' sayin'

FrankT

Psychotext said:
Interesting, if the PS3 sells any less than 1.2m in December (it did 1.36m last year) then it will have sold less in 2010 than it did in 2009 in the US. I'm amazed by that given that 2009 only had 3 months of slim / price cut sales vs all of 2010 at the reduced price + Move in September.

If it saw a similar drop off YoY it would be around 1 million for Dec.

Dartastic said:
I don't own a ps3. I genuinely haven't seen any marketing. I also think the Prologue numbers speak for themselves.

If you watch TV and are watching any program that is at least slightly geared toward the male audience you'd see GT5 commercials prior and during it's launch week.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I forgot about GoldenEye!

I remember Activision saying it did well for a third-party Wii game.
They said it's first week sales did considerably better than World at War wii's sales in the same period.

H_Prestige said:
That's what happens when you spam ridiculously unfunny, uncool, and flat out embarrassing kevin butler ads over and over and offer a product that is clearly outclassed by the 360 both on a hardware and software level. Nobody would want to be associated with your shit Sony.
WTF? :lol :lol :lol

The Sony hate is strong in this one..

GT5, Fable 3, JD, and DKC would all be higher if this was old NPD.

DMeisterJ

Banned
lowrider007 said:
Come on now, I don't think that can be said after such a late release in November, also we know that GT is normally a slow burner.

What was GT4's launch sales figures in the US?

Launched at 620k, ended at 2.5 million unbundled US sales, apparently.

Amir0x

Banned
Bizzyb said:
I said that the most realism they want. Hot Pursuit is anything BUT realism. It's an arcade racer at heart.

Jus' sayin'

Right but since Gt5 will outsell Forza and significantly at that (and worldwide it won't even be close), it is safe to say that it is not the most they want.

Also, it is ridiculous to say that any game which sells multiple millions worldwide is something beyond the limits of a significant portion of buyers. At least, as far as we measure the "value" of a concept to customers. The franchise is on decline because the Sony PlayStation brand is on decline, and because they botched the launch horrendously... not because people don't want sim racers.

Kujo

H_Prestige said:
A product that is clearly outclassed by the 360 both on a hardware and software level. Nobody would want to be associated with your shit Sony.
Good day for PS3 haters, smh

szaromir

Banned
OldJadedGamer said:
NPD doesn't count bundled software with hardware. So unless you are getting numbers from the developer/publisher or using another source, those bundles will never count in this thread.
Yeah, but the basis for long-term comparisons are numbers posted on Polyphony Digital's website, which do count bundles.

Not that FM3 did tremendously in its first NPD month, something like 200k? Not that it's labeled as the biggest first party franchise for MS...

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Psychotext said:
But the effects of a price cut are going to be much stronger in the first 3 months, than the next 9 (imo).

szaromir said:
Yeah, but the basis for long-term comparisons are numbers posted on Polyphony Digital's website, which do count bundles.

Not that FM3 did tremendously in its first NPD month, something like 200k? Not that it's labeled as the biggest first party franchise for MS...
Only 175k. Wasn't even in the top 20 for November or December. Not even in the same league as GT.

Top Bottom