• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

RBH

gogogow said:
Did they have those ads well before the releasedate of GT5? I'm not in the US, so I don't know.
They've been running the ads since September at the least. GT5 ads have been on TV since the first week of November or so.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (combined platforms) -- 1.14MM
Donkey Kong Country Returns -- 430.5K
Gran Turismo 5 -- 400K

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.

Jonsoncao

Banned
EviLore said:
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood -- 1.14MM
Gran Turismo 5 -- 400K

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.
OMG

I thought the preorder should be over 400k already but apparently I was wrong

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
EviLore said:
Gran Turismo 5 -- 400K

Thanks for these.

In Gran Tursimo 5's defence, maybe not a lot of people pre-ordered?

I mean, Zelda, Halo, Gears, the reason you'll always see these games at number 1 even if they only counted 1 day of sales is because these games get pre-ordered.

Maybe Prologue hurt 5's pre-orders? So people are holding back on 5 while they have Prologue, and now that average word of mouth is hitting the streets, not as many are picking it up?

It still MAY have legs. But yes, at the moment, I feel it deserves the shit it's getting from posters in here since if the game involved was a big ticket game from MS or Nintendo, SonyGAF would be in here having a field day.

EviLore said:
Gran Turismo 5 -- 400K

Ok, yikes. Maybe it is a bomba* afterall (in the US anyway).

*relative to other big name exclusives.

I'd be shocked if Goldeneye wasn't performing "well". Publishers don't advertise for a bomba after a month of release.

EviLore said:

Good.

EviLore said:
Expected higher, but will have legs.

EviLore said:
Gran Turismo 5 -- 400K
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol

Celine

jeremy1456 said:
How long after a system dies do sales numbers still get reported on it?
Hard to tell now cause NPD won't report hardware data directly anymore thus only if the manufacturer has an advantage in doing so will release the information.

WillyFive

Those Kevin Butler ads are brilliant and hilarious. Back off.

It's obvious there are other more significant reasons for the underperformance of the PS3 last month, and it doesn't have to be anything other than the competition simply looking more attractive.

Kenka

EviLore said:
Gran Turismo 5 -- 400K

Nice numbers Evilore, thank you. I hope it didn't cost you much.

Amir0x

Banned
Paracelsus said:
Which means it could have done about the same numbers of GT4 with a full week.

Except GT5 had black friday. I mean, people should probably reserve the overreaction until we see how it tracks into next month, but it was clearly a botched launch due to the release date shifting and the declining Sony PlayStation brand. I don't think anyone can deny that.

lowrider007 said:
Come on now, I don't think that can be said after such a late release in November, also we know that GT is normally a slow burner.

What was GT4's launch sales figures in the US?

Agreed, it will be a slow burner and do well over time. However, there's much more intense competition with Forza, NFS, Burnout, Codemaster's games, Split/Second and even Blur. There are many different places for people to get their racing fix. It doesn't stand out as much as it used to.

Redbeard

Banned
I don't think there's any meaningful way to analyze GT5's sales for this month alone in the US.

What we've seen so far suggests that GT5 is selling better than its predecessor in Europe, but less in Japan, and for the US we basically have what amounts to a few days of data.

Given the state of racing games I don't expect GT5 to do as well as GT4 or GT3 in America....it's clearly a genre in decline in the US, that being said, I'd be surprised if GT5 did not exceed 600k sales in the US for November + December.

Edit: 400k for GT5? Really, a lot better than I expected just by looking at the #8 position.

GT5 seems like it'll do just fine.

fernoca

EviLore said:
Gran Turismo 5 -- 400K

Brotherhood 1.1? So if the 800k number is true for the 360 version; only 300K for the PS3 version? That's a little higher for the 360 version compared to last year, but lower than ACII on PS3 last year; even with all the advertising and included extra content.

Early comments are silly.

GT5 came out on the 24th and the numbers go to the 27th. No Bomba, no "pathetic". It's very reasonable to see it placed there. In fact it's quite impressive.

CozMick said:
400,000 in 3 days - Yeah GAF booooooomba!

*sigh*

This happens all the time for all kinds of games that are released end of the month. Normally however, if sales are that low for that period you'll never see it chart again.

antonz

Since fanbot idiocy is being banned can we start banning all the GT5 wasnt advertised morons?

The shit was being advertised as far back as September and its on tv all the freaking time. Delayed launch or not people who gave a shit about the franchise knew what was going on.

FrankT

fernoca said:
Brotherhood 1.1? So if the 800k number is true for the 360 version; only 300K for the PS3 version? That's a little higher for the 360 version compared to last year, but lower than ACII on PS3 last year; even with all the advertising and included extra content.

Surprised as well.

DoctorWho said:

GT5 came out on the 24th and the numbers go to the 27th. No Bomba, no "pathetic". It's very reasonable to see it placed there. In fact it's quite impressive.

On point.

We can all go back to laughing at the PS3 numbers now.

Since fanbot idiocy is being banned can we start banning all the GT5 wasnt advertised morons?

Has it? I haven't seen a single ad. Doesn't mean there weren't any, but it's surprising I haven't caught one.

Still, the launch was bungled, no? Solid numbers despite that.

DMeisterJ

Banned
EviLore said:
Gran Turismo 5 -- 400K

Now we can proceed to worry about GT5

DoctorWho said:

As noted, those three days included the biggest sales day of the year.

EviLore said:
Gran Turismo 5 -- 400K

400k for GT 5 guess that okay
620k for GT 4 in first month .

November was a horrible month for Sony, PS3 getting slaughetered by the competition, PSP nowhere to be seen, GT5 charting pretty low....dare I say the PS3 is in "trouble" in the US? Before you jump down my throat, I'm a PS3 only owner and owned a PSP until 2 weeks ago when I gave it to my nephew.

fernoca said:

What rumor?

user_nat said:
But the effects of a price cut are going to be much stronger in the first 3 months, than the next 9 (imo).
Of course, but up until the release of the slim the PS3's sales in the US in 2009 were average at best (as of August, pre slim, the PS3's sales were 1.45m, over half a million less than it did in 2010). I would never have imagined that it could possibly sell less in 2010 given how much better the price is now.

Kusagari

fernoca said:

Maybe the MP focus made 360 gamers more likely to buy it and PS3 gamers less so?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Paracelsus said:
Which means it could have done about the same numbers of GT4 with a full week.

That's what I'm thinking, I guess Decembers numbers will be quite telling, I think we can put the 'gt5 bomber in the US' on the back burner for a month at least.

Flying_Phoenix said:
I'd be shocked if Goldeneye wasn't performing "well". Publishers don't advertise for a bomba after a month of release.

Good.

Expected higher, but will have legs.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol

Ummmmmmm, over reaction much?

Barrett2

DoctorWho said:

Black Friday is the highest three days of sales in the entire year.

WillyFive

DoctorWho said:

Yeah. In only less than a week it actually managed to place in the charts.

CozMick said:
400,000 in 3 days - Yeah GAF booooooomba!

*sigh*

You saw the DKCR figure right?

I'm sorry, I've even tried some GT5 spin myself in here, but when the supposed 'biggest release of the year omg!" arrives after 5 years in development, and has plenty of advertising, and is the latest 'blackboard' PS3 game and gets outsold by a sequel to a 14 year old game with almost NO advertising? (mind you, with the same number of days on sale too)

That's not a good thing.

edit: By the way, those 3 days included 1 of Black Friday. GT5 looks like me might be strictly a PAL top seller now.

EviLore said:
Gran Turismo 5 -- 400K

400,000 in three days. Bomba.

DMeisterJ said:
Launched at 620k, ended at 2.5 million unbundled US sales, apparently.
Right, on the best-selling console of all time almost five years in. I think the franchise has suffered by being gone for so long and has so much high production-quality racing/driving competition in the marketplace that has taken hold of a lot of the potential spending cash. Mostly, though, GT5 is really not going to come close to matching GT4 thanks to its platform's non-dominant performance and current trajectory of price drops. PS3s are just further out of reach to the average consumer than a PS2 was at the same point in its lifetime.

gundamkyoukai said:
400k for GT 5 guess that okay
620k for GT 4 in first month .
Wasn't that 620k for GT4 covering only a few more days?

Kenka

I wish DKC was higher :-(

Good numbers nonetheless :) I may even dare to believe that it can be a solid holidays blockbuster and increse its sales next month. It's my wild guess.

I won't comment further on GT5.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
CaptYamato said:
400,000 in three days. Bomba.
2 days, in effect. Thanksgiving Day had most stores closed...Sony's fault for releasing the damn game so close to Black Friday. And they lost a CE sale since my Best Buy refused to sell it until Black Friday.

gogogow

RBH said:
They've been running the ads since September at the least. GT5 ads have been on TV since the first week of November or so.
Not even close. 21st of November was the day the GT5 ads were aired on TV when the Indianapolis Colts took on the New England Patriots on CBS.

from the PSblog.

Top Bottom