• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

Ashes

Banned
EviLore said:
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood -- 1.14MM
Donkey Kong Country Returns -- 430.5K
Gran Turismo 5 -- 400K

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.

I was thinking 400k about a few months ago. Damn this is actually good news, what with the botched launch and all.

ps. Donkey kong, what a difference a day makes....
pps. what were the x360 ac:b figures again, we can figure out the the sku's now.. about 800k for x360, wasn't it?

my *assumptions* now
1. cod x360
2. ps3 x360
3. ac x360
4. just dance 2
5. fable 3
6. donkey kong
7. gt5
8. ac ps3
9.? (who am I kidding? it's probably wii fit plus)
10.Halo reach
11. just dance Dance central

edit: 11 is dance central as someone pointed out.

jeremy1456

I think the reason people are disappointed with GT5's numbers is because it was one of the first PS3 games to be announced and hyped.

How many freaking years was it in development? Sony will probably have to sell 10+ million copies to make up for it.

FrankT

Fable 3 had basically one extra day last month in comparison and did 580k, but it will be interesting to see if it can chart like Fable 3 has second month.

Not a single new IP in the top 10.

And many of those are on their 5th plus iteration.

Kinda sad . . . but the risks are so high for new IP.

jedimike

Psychotext said:
Interesting, if the PS3 sells any less than 1.2m in December (it did 1.36m last year) then it will have sold less in 2010 than it did in 2009 in the US. I'm amazed by that given that 2009 only had 3 months of slim / price cut sales vs all of 2010 at the reduced price + Move in September.

Very interesting point. It will only take a 12% drop from Dec 09 numbers to put them under that threshold. I think it is more likely Sony will see another 20%-25% drop. If they suffer another 25% drop, they'll barely clear 1M in December.

Kenka

Ashes1396 said:
I was thinking 400k about a few months ago. Damn this is actually good news, what with the botched launch and all.

ps. Donkey kong, what a difference a day makes....
pps. what were the x360 ac:b figures again, we can figure out the the sku's now.. about 800k for x360, wasn't it?

my *assumptions* now
1. cod x360
2. ps3 x360
3. ac x360
4. just dance
5. fable 3
6. donkey kong
7. gt5
8. ac ps3
9.? (who am I kidding? it's probably wii fit plus)
10.Halo reach
11. just dance

Nope, Dance Central would be above.

lawblob said:
Black Friday is the highest three days of sales in the entire year.

That's fine. All the games on the list have Black Friday numbers included. The issue is that GT5 only had three days before that to sell product while the rest had a week to a month head start.

It's not like GT5 was the only game on the shelves that day.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
For comparison to GT5, the only other PS3 game that I could think of with a similar amount of days is KZ2. Which sold 323k in 3 (maybe 4) days. Sold 296k in the next month. It also had plenty of "It was only 3 days!!!" responses.

Somewhat different though because Feb -> Mar is different to Nov -> Dec.

fernoca

Cosmonaut X said:
As noted, those three days included the biggest sales day of the year.
Well, there's always stuff...
Like people saying "OMG Fable >> GT5?", but seeing the numbers now:

October's Fable III 4 days > November's GT5 3 days (which included Black Friday)

:D

CozMick

Banned
gogogow said:
Not even close. 21st of November was the day the GT5 ads were aired on TV when the Indianapolis Colts took on the New England Patriots on CBS.

from the PSblog.

It all starts to trickle out one at a time.

3 days of advertising, 3 days of sales, the biggest botch launch ever, smallest GT fanbase (US, Europe, Japan)..........................

And it still does 400k :lol

Wario64 said:
2 days, in effect. Thanksgiving Day had most stores closed...Sony's fault for releasing the damn game so close to Black Friday. And they lost a CE sale since my Best Buy refused to sell it until Black Friday.
Yeah I realized that after I posted.

Kafel

Banned
impressive ACB 360 sales, I don't know about the US but here (France) the marketing for this game is PS3 exclusive

so Fable III > 430K
how is it compared to last month ?

FrankT

DoctorWho said:
That's fine. All the games on the list have Black Friday numbers included. The issue is that GT5 only had three days before that to sell product while the rest had a week to a month head start.

It's not like GT5 was the only game on the shelves that day.

4 technically, Weds-Sat. Reporting period ends on the Saturday iirc.

AranhaHunter said:
November was a horrible month for Sony, PS3 getting slaughetered by the competition, PSP nowhere to be seen, GT5 charting pretty low....dare I say the PS3 is in "trouble" in the US? Before you jump down my throat, I'm a PS3 only owner and owned a PSP until 2 weeks ago when I gave it to my nephew.

No not in trouble, they'll just keep chugging along as they have been the entire gen. People declared the PS3 dead countless times. Espeically when you look at the solid games lineup next year. Year of the PS3 2011? No, but not dead, and not ever beating the 360. Chugging along.

DMeisterJ

Banned
jeremy1456 said:
I think the reason people are disappointed with GT5's numbers is because it was one of the first PS3 games to be announced and hyped.

How many freaking years was it in development? Sony will probably have to sell 10+ million copies to make up for it.

No way a game having to sell 10 million copies to be profitable will be greenlit, also GT5: P subsidized GT5's production, more than likely.

RBH

gogogow said:
Not even close. 21st of November was the day the GT5 ads were aired on TV when the Indianapolis Colts took on the New England Patriots on CBS.

from the PSblog.
Simple mistake, seemed sooner than Nov 21st to me.

Point still stands though about the amount of PS3 advertising on TV in the US compared to the competition.

So I take it that NFS Hot Pursuit didn't make it on the top 10 individually? :(

I think EA should not have released it during the same time period as GT5. It might've sold more if it was the only racing game of the month.

speculawyer said:

At one point in this gen Assassins Creed was a new IP as was Fable (sorry, it was xbox 1). We are just nearing the end of the console cycle when people are capitalizing on their earlier investments on IP. COD was essentially a new IP with COD 2 in 2005 as far as consoles were concerned. Next Console cycle you will see new ideas all over again.

LCfiner

considering some of the GAF hype for GT5, the sales might seem somewhat lacklustre. you’d think it would be a million unit seller based on pre-orders alone listening to some of the talk in here pre-launch.

still, it’s good numbers and, unsurprisingly, more than the 175K for Forza 3 last year in October.

and, of course, holy shit at 360 numbers. Very successful relaunch with Kinect. congrats to MS.

Amir0x

Banned
Wario64 said:
2 days, in effect. Thanksgiving Day had most stores closed...Sony's fault for releasing the damn game so close to Black Friday. And they lost a CE sale since my Best Buy refused to sell it until Black Friday.

Really, I think it's fair to say GT5 underperformed, both based on franchise history and expectations, but that it is NOT fair to say that it is a 'bomba.'

It is a symptom of its bungled launch, a belated launched advertising campaign which had to compensate for the last-minute release date announcement and a decline PlayStation brand. It will take next month's numbers to really have suitable context for these numbers.

For now, the only objective assessment is "Sony bungled the launch of GT5."

Kenka

Kafel said:
impressive ACB 360 sales, I don't know about the US but here (France) the marketing for this game is PS3 exclusive

so Fable III > 340K

Less than a 40% drop. Which is good.

lordmrw

speculawyer said:

yeah in some ways this is the point in a generation that I start to hate. I know the yearly sequels are going to continue and there's nothing wrong with that, but the predictability of what will be released every year at this point just kills it for me. Conversely, I'm sure this is the point most publishers are licking their lips in anticipation of, as they now know what franchises will continue to produce milk for them every year.

CozMick said:
It all starts to trickle out one at a time.

3 days of advertising, 3 days of sales, the biggest botch launch ever, smallest GT fanbase (US, Europe, Japan)..........................

And it still does 400k :lol

I haven't done this in a while, but...

Saying 'Product A sold well if you take Reasons X, Y, and Z into account' is just a nice way of saying 'Product A sold badly, and Reasons X, Y and Z is why'.

gogogow

In GT5's defense, it was released 3 days later and sold only 30.5k less than DKCR and GT5 had a late marketing push. The ads were aired on 21st of Nov. But the PS3 sales.........

thcsquad

Where there any GT5 deals on Black Friday? I don't remember seeing any, and I wonder if that hurt its chances of anybody but the GT5 fanatics buying it on Black Friday.

GavinGT

Banned
You guys keep bringing up the fact that it only had 3 days, but given those numbers, things aren't looking too fantastic for December either.

Kafel said:

so Fable III > 340K

Fable 3 is >430K (probably just a typo on your part)

szaromir

Banned
Kafel said:

so Fable III > 340K
Fable 3 > 430k :D (and >1M ltd)

Halo Reach appears to be tracking below Halo 3 (#9 and 387K in November 2007), maybe not by far though. Ah well, the game made money for itself, I hope it'll teach 343 to keep the campaign more varied.

thcsquad said:
Where there any GT5 deals on Black Friday? I don't remember seeing any, and I wonder if that hurt its chances of anybody but the GT5 fanatics buying it on Black Friday.

There wouldn't be considering it came out earlier the same week.

fernoca

Kafel said:

so Fable III > 340K
Fable III is 430k+ since it is above DK Country.

Did 580k in 4 days in October.

Psychotext said:
Of course, but up until the release of the slim the PS3's sales in the US in 2009 were average at best (as of August, pre slim, the PS3's sales were 1.45m, over half a million less than it did in 2010). I would never have imagined that it could possibly sell less in 2010 given how much better the price is now.

The PS3 is not in a bubble by it's self , Xbox 360 had price drop , a slim plus Kinect with a 500 million marketing push and Wii also had price drop along with other stuff.
Sony would done much better with even a 50 price drop.

Ridley327 said:
One of those days was Thanksgiving, though; in practice, it really is just 3 days.

Well, Walmart was open all day on thanksgiving. As were all the online retailers. The grasping at straws is starting to get just a bit too much.

FrankT

Fable 3 over a million in the US then. Hmm, 2 is just better.

gundamkyoukai said:
The PS3 is not in a bubble by it's self , Xbox 360 had price drop , a slim plus Kinect with a 500 million marketing push and Wii also had price drop along with other stuff.

360 hasn't had a real price cut in over 2 years. Though it did have the old stock reduced that lasted a couple of months.

GavinGT said:
You guys keep bringing up the fact that it only had 3 days, but given those numbers, things aren't looking too fantastic for December either.

Should be telling as far as the legs go.

jedimike

CaptYamato said:
400,000 in three days. Bomba.

Black Friday makes up for over an entire month of sales outside Nov and Dec... Definitely Bomba. It may get an equal amount in December, but I doubt it.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Flying_Phoenix said:
I'd be shocked if Goldeneye wasn't performing "well". Publishers don't advertise for a bomba after a month of release.

Good.

Expected higher, but will have legs.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol:lol :lol :lol
I think you needed one more emoticon. I couldn't tell if you thought it was funny or not.

szaromir

Banned
gundamkyoukai said:
No.

jeremy1456

DMeisterJ said:
No way a game having to sell 10 million copies to be profitable will be greenlit, also GT5: P subsidized GT5's production, more than likely.

Well I'm sure at the time they didn't expect it to be delayed... 3 years was it?

Ashes

Banned
Amir0x said:
Really, I think it's fair to say GT5 underperformed, both based on franchise history and expectations, but that it is NOT fair to say that it is a 'bomba.'

It is a symptom of its bungled launch, a belated launched advertising campaign which had to compensate for the last-minute release date announcement and a decline PlayStation brand. It will take next month's numbers to really have suitable context for these numbers.

For now, the only objective assessment is "Sony bungled the launch of GT5."

Though I agree, it has to be said that from Sony's point of view: whatever the excuse may be- selling less than gt4 out the gate is disappointing.

Sony are going to sell near a million ps3 in december; I think a sizable chunk will be gt bundles, so it'd be something if gt5 charts in the top ten again. It might even sell more in the second month if the large advertising campaign has anything to do with it.

jeremy1456

gundamkyoukai said:

Where you're getting this price drop thing from I have no idea. The Xbox 360 is still the same price.

Sony had both a price drop and a remodel. MS had a remodel and kinect.

Top Bottom