• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

EviLore said:
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood (combined platforms) -- 1.14MM
Donkey Kong Country Returns -- 430.5K
Gran Turismo 5 -- 400K

Numbers are real, unable to comment further. And this is not a policy shift re: leaks, so don't get any ideas.
considering how many people pre-ordered Gran Turismo 5...

...it's going to be hard for that game to even reach 6 million WW. maybe in a couple of years? but certainly not anywhere near as fast as people would have expected.

OldJadedGamer said:
Also, GT5P did 224k in it's first month with about half the userbase.
that does add a bit more context. GT5P did just fine in the long run.

I'm still having trouble getting a really good idea of how well this game will do over time.

Boney

Banned
NSMBWii sold 1.39 M in November last year. That's a pretty big difference, I was expecting DK to sell half as much.

Man I always imagine Evilore holding NPD at gunpoint demanding for some numbers :lol. (I'm not asking how, so please don't send me on a vacation.)

Omiee

i havent read all the other pages but damnn sony is in trouble, 360 almost outsold it 3 to 1 and wii outsold it 2 to 1.
and wtf is up with the low GT5 numbers, man its going worst for sony than i thought it was.

GhaleonEB

The Sony PR was unusually grim sounding this month. Month over month increase? Celebrating overall industry growth? Move laying the foundation for success...next year?

Ouch.

Ridley327

bigtroyjon said:
Well, Walmart was open all day on thanksgiving. As were all the online retailers. The grasping at straws is starting to get just a bit too much.
I honestly have no affinity for GT5 at all, but banding 4 days around doesn't seem to be entirely accurate.

Let's split the difference and say that GT5 was on sale for less than 96 hours!

gogogow

Ashes1396 said:
Sony are going to sell near a million ps3 in december; I think a sizable chunk will be gt bundles, so it'd be something if gt5 charts in the top ten again. It might even sell more in the second month if the large advertising campaign has anything to do with it.
GT bundles? In the US? There is one?

matmanx1

GT5 will be fine when it's all said in done. As others have said on this very board it's a series with traditionally long legs and will be a "staple" in the PS3's library for years to come. 400k is definitely under where Sony could have been with the title had it been handled properly but down the road the slow launch won't affect sales at all.

Then again, this is Gaf so I shouldn't be surprised at the responses here. After all, we do love our drama don't we? :D

GavinGT

Banned
Ashes1396 said:
Though I agree, it has to be said that from Sony's point of view: whatever the excuse may be- selling less than gt4 out the gate is disappointing.

Sony are going to sell near a million ps3 in december; I think a sizable chunk will be gt bundles, so it'd be something if gt5 charts in the top ten again. It might even sell more in the second month if the large advertising campaign has anything to do with it.

It had better fucking sell more in December! :lol

Paracelsus

GhaleonEB said:
The Sony PR was unusually grim sounding this month. Month over month increase? Celebrating overall industry growth? Move laying the foundation for success...next year?

Ouch.

Given the release schedule that's what they hope (dream, rather) it happens. Whether it actually happens or not is a whole different story.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Well I'm calling it now so I can quote myself later, GT5 is going to sell more in December than the 3 days it was tracked in November.

Please forget this post if I'm wrong :p

jvm

Gamasutra.
Where did the Dance Central at #11 come from? Just want to be sure. If it's from MS, they often say "console software" when citing these figures and that can distract from something like God of War: Ghost of SpartaNew Super Mario Bros. DS taking the spot in the all-formats chart.

Jtyettis said:
360 hasn't had a real price cut in over 2 years. Though it did have the old stock reduced that lasted a couple of months.

Yes i was wrong about the price drop was thinking about old stock thing .
Which is my bad , still when you have a system cheaper than Sony there's no need to drop your price.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
lowrider007 said:
Well I'm calling it now so I can quote myself later, GT5 is going to sell more in December than the 3 days it was tracked in November.

Please forget this post if I'm wrong :p
Which will sell more in December, GT5 or Donkey Kong?

Ridley327

gogogow said:
GT bundles? In the US? There is one?
As far as I know, the only GT5 bundle is exclusive to Best Buy and there really isn't much of a savings versus grabbing a stock 160 gig model and a separate copy of the game. I guess there's a chance that people really want their $20 copy of Grown-Ups!

fernoca said:
Well, there's always stuff...
Like people saying "OMG Fable >> GT5?", but seeing the numbers now:

October's Fable III 4 days > November's GT5 3 days (which included Black Friday)

:D

That puts it into context. Fable, which isn't really even that strong of a brand (it's not a blockbuster by any means) outsold GT5, one of, if not the biggest brands they have in a softer month without Black Friday.

What a messy, messy launch.

gogogow said:
In GT5's defense, it was released 3 days later and sold only 30.5k less than DKCR and GT5 had a late marketing push. The ads were aired on 21st of Nov. But the PS3 sales.........

That's hardly enough of a defense, give that DKCR had little marketing behind it, and isn't exactly a well known brand (certainly not among the top echelon of Nintendo's brands currently), and it managed to outsell Sony's biggest brand.

I just think Sony has some serious management issues at the moment. Whether it's communication, or confusion or just plain incompetence... there was no reason for GT5 to be handled the way it was. If they had to delay it, then they should have delayed it closer to Xmas (and missed Black Friday which did little for them anyways) and pushed a large worldwide marketing release/marketing message. Instead of the "wait is it released yet, I can't remember what date it is releasing this time" shit-fest they managed to pull.

Edit: To put that a little more into context (anecdotal I know)... a friend of mine who intended to buy a PS3 +GT5 the day it came out (a massive GT fan, always hangs shit on Forza being inferior etc), said (when I told him GT5 was being released on Tuesday) "What? Is it actually coming out? I'll believe it when I see it". Then when I bought it (he decided to wait until next pay day) and showed him (we played several hours of it, including licenses, A-Spec, top-gear challenges etc)... he asked me "What the fuck have they been doing for this many years".

If Sony couldn't convince a massive GT fan to buy into the franchise - it speaks plenty about the mishandling of the product.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
So, does "bomba" mean underperform or total bust? I always got the feeling it was the latter but I see it mentioned plenty of times with the first definition

jedimike said:
Black Friday makes up for over an entire month of sales outside Nov and Dec... Definitely Bomba. It may get an equal amount in December, but I doubt it.

The thing is - EVERY GAME gets Black Friday numbers. It's not like GT5 could have suddenly gained ground on that day because very game had an opportunity to sell greater numbers that day.

It's fairly straightforward.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
jvm said:
Where did the Dance Central at #11 come from? Just want to be sure. If it's from MS, they often say "console software" when citing these figures and that can distract from something like God of War: Ghost of SpartaNew Super Mario Bros. DS taking the spot in the all-formats chart.
From here: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/12/09/dance-central-tops-kinects-november-software-sales-in-us/

"According to NPD, the game was #11 in overall sales for the month and the top-selling Kinect game as a SKU.'

edit: beaten..

Teetris said:
So, does "bomba" mean underperform or total bust? I always got the feeling it was the latter but I see it mentioned plenty of times with the first definition

When dealing with exclusives for a console you aren't a fanboy of, it means "didn't sell 20 million copies in one day". Otherwise, it means the latter.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
matmanx1 said:
GT5 will be fine when it's all said in done. As others have said on this very board it's a series with traditionally long legs and will be a "staple" in the PS3's library for years to come. 400k is definitely under where Sony could have been with the title had it been handled properly but down the road the slow launch won't affect sales at all.

Then again, this is Gaf so I shouldn't be surprised at the responses here. After all, we do love our drama don't we? :D
The main problem with that argument, is that while the PS1 and PS2 where bought by a more "casual" audience, the PS3 audience is one that buys games the first few days and not later. We have seen most of the PS3's software releases being really front-loaded, even from franchises you wouldn't expect to sell most of it in the first month (LBP for example).

So, count me in the crowd that say GT5 will not sell significantly more in the USA.

GhaleonEB said:

Ouch.
can you blame them?

I'd suggest they had easily the best exclusive selection in consoles the last 2 years...yet it hasn't helped. next year, more good exclusives...but slowing sales in anticipation of it? hard to spin that in a strongly positive way.

Barrage

Stripper13 said:
That puts it into context. Fable, which isn't really even that strong of a brand (it's not a blockbuster by any means) outsold GT5, one of, if not the biggest brands they have in a softer month without Black Friday.

What a messy, messy launch.

Not that GT4's numbers aren't a huge dissapointment, but you're way underselling Fable. Only a handful of RPG Franchises sell a million every iteration on consoles, and Fable is one of them.

Elios83

GT5 did well, 400k in three days with the launch date and marketing mess up is definetly not bad by any measure. Calling it a bomba is trolling territory.
It's not a mega seller either but the series started to decline in the US since GT4 which did not met the initial expectations either. Globally GT5 will do really weel, its performance will rely on its legs, it will be bundled as hell too next year as well so I really wouldn't worry about it. If they managed to sell almost 5 million units of GT Portable and GT5 Portable, GT5 is safe and on track for 10m units LTD WW.
I'm more suprised about the relatively low numbers of the PS3 version of AC, it's the kind of title that should have a less than 2:1 ratio with the 360 version. Not sure what happened here. Maybe November was just a horrible month for PS3 and a lot of software was moved to new console buyers and 360 had many of them :D

GavinGT

Banned
Teetris said:

It means the latter but is most often used to describe the former.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Teetris said:

I think it's fair to say underperform at this point.

400k for the biggest, most hyped Sony game of all year is a disappointment no matter how you slice and dice it. December will be all we need to declare a bomba or not.

gogogow

Ridley327 said:
As far as I know, the only GT5 bundle is exclusive to Best Buy and there really isn't much of a savings versus grabbing a stock 160 gig model and a separate copy of the game. I guess there's a chance that people really want their $20 copy of Grown-Ups!
Meh, I doubt that will do anything for GT5 or PS3. In Europe they have an official PS3 GT5 bundle which includes a 320 gig model and GT5 Collector's Edition.

Boney

Banned
jvm said:
woops, he confirmed it.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Teetris said:
It generally means whatever is most convenient to the poster's side.

Example: "Wii Play didn't chart this month? BOMBA AM TOTAL!"

Top Bottom