• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results For November 2010 [Update 6: PSP, PS2, Move Games]

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Fable 3 had basically one extra day last month in comparison and did 580k, but it will be interesting to see if it can chart like Fable 3 has second month.

So Fable 3 has sold over 1 Million units.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
GavinGT said:
It means the latter but is most often used to describe the former.
Cool, that's what I thought. Thanks

KuwabaraTheMan said:
When dealing with exclusives for a console you aren't a fanboy of, it means "didn't sell 20 million copies in one day". Otherwise, it means the latter.
Ha! Exactly :)

Afrikan

viciouskillersquirrel said:
In this thread, GAF parties like it's 2007. This brings back memories of 88K.

Wii360XMas.gif

but seriously, once again people are overreacting (trolling?) for no reason.. OMGZ itz oVA for SONY Duuuuude!!!

seady

To publisher:

If you don't want your games to be portrayed as a failure, don't release it at the end of the month. The first month sale number will dictate the future perception of a product.

Sincerely Yours,
XX:lolx

---
Seriously, I think it is true. GT5 (and many other games that released at the end of month) will forever be remembered as a 'bomba' because of this.

Jive Turkey said:
It generally means whatever is most convenient to the poster's side.

Example: "Wii Play didn't chart this month? BOMBA AM TOTAL!"

In this case it seems appropriate given SonyGAF's jizzing all over it for the last year, claiming it as a system seller, biggest Sony franchise etc.

Hell, Halo Reach sold 3.3 million and I said THAt was below expectations and underperformed given Halo 3 did the same on less than half the userbase.

All things need to be in perspective, and given the context, 400K for GT5 pretty much is...underperformed, to say the least.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Afrikan said:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a278/Rubxqub/Wii360XMas.gif[IMG]

but seriously, once again people are overreacting (trolling?) for no reason.. OMGZ itz oVA for SONY Duuuuude!!![/QUOTE]

This is NeoGAF, dude. It's part of the amazing party.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
RSTEIN said:
I take back my GT5 bomba remarks. I'm waiting for December.

Yup. I think we'll see it pop back up in December.

The real story here that we'll probably never know (but those in the games industry can do back of napkin math) is what they forecast the game to sell, and what GT5's P&L ultimately looks like with their sustain plan via Prologue.

Barrage said:
Not that GT4's numbers aren't a huge dissapointment, but you're way underselling Fable. Only a handful of RPG Franchises sell a million every iteration on consoles, and Fable is one of them.

Oh I'm fully aware of it's success relative to RPG/Adventure games... but it's not Microsoft's top brand by any means... and in light of GT being Sony's premier franchise... well...

Teetris said:
So, does "bomba" mean underperform or total bust? I always got the feeling it was the latter but I see it mentioned plenty of times with the first definition

If sales are a bomba or not is directly related to how many animated gifs a game has in the threads pre-release.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Crazy stuff. I feel bad for Sony though, my personal preference would have the Wii selling 500k and the HD twins selling neck and neck.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
Ashes1396 said:
And is it near a million in pal land?

From the numbers we have got so far it probably sold a fair amount more over a million week one. With the US and Japan numbers two million sold WW in it's first week is not unlikely.

Yagharek

So Wii got its seasonal bump as expected.
360 riding high on Kinect plus CoD presumably since XBL is where most people play it.

Why isnt PS3 doing comparable numbers?

RSTEIN said:
I think it's fair to say underperform at this point.

400k for the biggest, most hyped Sony game of all year is a disappointment no matter how you slice and dice it. December will be all we need to declare a bomba or not.
It might take a few months GT 4 sold 620k in it's first month and it's LTD non bundle was 2.5 million at end of 2009 .
Still no matter what i expect GT 5 to perform much lower than other GT games .
Took to long to come out , bad launch , on decline , smaller user base but the one that matter the most is GT5 feels like half a game and allot of stuff wrong with it .

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
2 Minutes Turkish said:
In this case it seems appropriate given SonyGAF's jizzing all over it for the last year, claiming it as a system seller, biggest Sony franchise etc.

Hell, Halo Reach sold 3.3 million and I said THAt was below expectations and underperformed given Halo 3 did the same on less than half the userbase.

All things need to be in perspective, and given the context, 400K for GT5 pretty much is...underperformed, to say the least.
Oh I'm not saying it's all rainbows and unicorns for Sony. I'm just saying it's a wee bit early to label the game as a bomb...And that's coming from a guy whose first post in this thread was "LOLGT5".

Ashes

Banned
Loudninja said:
Yeah over 900k so far.

Nearly 2 mill in a botched up 4 day launch week isn't so bad as to call it a bomba; it is disappointing to be down against gt4 in 2 territories no matter how one spins it though.

seady said:
To publisher:

If you don't want your games to be portrayed as a failure, don't release it at the end of the month. The first month sale number will dictate the future perception of a product.

Sincerely Yours,
XX:lolx

---
Seriously, I think it is true. GT5 (and many other games that released at the end of month) will forever be remembered as a 'bomba' because of this.

That's a fair enough observation... but let's be real. How many games have released with mediocre-bad numbers when releasing in the last few days of the month, and then went on to chart highly in the next release?

No (sane) people are questioning GT's long term ability to sell... but rather Sony's ability to build hype or even let people know the game was out in the wild?

WaltJay

SoulPlaya said:
Now? His commercials were always terrible to me.

I thought they were entertaining at first. But, much like Apple and the Mac vs PC ads, they saw some early success and decided to beat the ad to death.

szaromir

Banned
allan-bh said:
Gran Turismo 5 (4 days in Japan) 430k

Gran Turismo 5 (4 days in US) 400k
UK ~260k first week
It'll be a very healthy product when all is said and done. Certainly not a PS3 saviour some people were hoping it'd become.

Kafel

Banned
GhaleonEB said:
Celebrating overall industry growth?

Like with the Wii at first they're glad [Kinect] brings more people in who will become Playstation players in the future.

Unless their idea of these people getting the PS3 as a BR player is now stomped by the cheap players and that their ads to seduce the new customers are in fact more aimed to SDF idiots than anyone else.

Van Owen

Banned
Sort of sad to see Ps3 take such a beating. Technically is my preferred system, and I'd play it almost exclusively if the 3rd party offerings weren't always worse than 360.

Fredescu

les papillons sexuels said:
i didn't go through the thread by major nelson listed halo reach in the top 10, I don't see it listed in the op, any reasoning on that?
Reach is #10 in the individual formats chart. The chart in the OP is combined formats.

szaromir said:
UK ~260k first week
It'll be a very healthy product when all is said and done. Certainly not a PS3 saviour some people were hoping it'd become.

After 4 years did people really think GT 5 would move consoles maybe in EU but not NA or Japan.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
i didn't go through the thread by major nelson listed halo reach in the top 10, I don't see it listed in the op, any reasoning on that?

It is in the top 10 of the Individual sku compared but not the combined sku chart.

2 Minutes Turkish said:

IIRC NO GT, not a single one of them, did massive first week/month/day sales ala Halo or CoD. Never. It's just a game that keeps selling and eventually does 6M+

GhaleonEB

TacticalFox88 said:
Ghaleon, I didn't know you were into Sales age. :lol
I sat out the past year for various reasons, but I've been updating my spreadsheet diligently.

The holidays bring out the fun for everyone!

FrankT

No cash breakdown this time around? Wants to see some SW and accessories.

GavinGT said:
The best part of this thread is that Black Ops sets a new sales record and nobody even talks about it.

Be nice if we got the SKU breakdown as they have lumped in some extras to make that happen. Not that it isn't crazy impressive.

fernoca

OP: Top 10 Combined SKUs
Major Nelson: Top 10 Individual SKUs

EDIT: Beaten, but pfft. :p

The Fable 3 commercials were great and seem to have worked extremely well, I remember seeing those commercials a lot. I remember seeing it for the first time, and before the words Fable came out, I was thinking to myself, wow that looks like a pretty epic game.

DR2K

Banned
GT5 bomba, COD 8+ million, PS3 bombing, 360 rise to heaven, Nintendo being Nintendo, and NFS outselling GT holy shit. EA probably has the biggest shit eating grin on their faces. :lol

Alright Sony it's time for another price drop.

I didn't and it isn't clarified anywhere in there. I didn't know if MN was talking about 360 specifically or if it was a general comment. But thanks again.

You've missed it:
"We are now reporting sales at the total platform level instead of the SKU level but if we were reporting the top 10 SKU's, Halo: Reach would have been #10 this month."

GavinGT said:
The best part of this thread is that Black Ops sets a new sales record and nobody even talks about it.

It got talked about earlier on. Really, not much to say, not real surprising(imo at least), it's a very good, if not great game, I can't knock it in any way. Activision is doing their thing right now, and they do it VERY well

GavinGT

Banned
Jtyettis said:
No cash breakdown this time around? Wants to see some SW and accessories.

Be nice if we got the SKU breakdown as they have lumped in some extras to make that happen. Not that it isn't crazy impressive.

True, although I doubt any of the SKUs outside the 360 and PS3 ones amounted to anything too crazy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I didn't and it isn't clarified anywhere in there. I didn't know if MN was talking about 360 specifically or if it was a general comment. But thanks again.

read the original post

gogogow

Metalmurphy said:
IIRC NO GT, not a single one of them, did massive first week/month/day sales ala Halo or CoD. Never. It's just a game that keeps selling and eventually does 6M+
Kinda strange, except GT2 (9.37m), all of the GT main entries sold more than 10+ million copies.

Top Bottom