• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

YES! Seeing the Wii U fail makes me happy! And seeing the PS4 at the top is even better! I hope Nintendo doesn't stick with their current hardware philosophy. I want more hardware muscle!

FourMyle

The Nintendo brand is finally over. Maybe next decade!

It's over, period. Nintendo lost the casuals, and that's the end of their Wii U hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for Wii U. Nintendo has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a Wii U. Except if they want to play Bayonetta 2. Which will also come to PS4 at some point.

Microsoft and Sony took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a WiiU over a PS4 or Xbox one(except Miiverse LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the underpowered non-entity that was Wii U.

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for PS3 too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of Nintendo is done.

Pretty much. What people forgot was that the Wii was the outlier in the Nintendo family of home consoles.

Every single Nintendo home console since the NES has seen significant decline in sales compared to its predecessor.

The Wii was the single exception to that. The Wii U is the return to form. Nintendo has become irrelevant in the home console business. They need to pull out, and now because they are embarrassing themselves and running their business into the ground.

UberTag

3DS+2DS doing < 770K with a new Zelda bundle on the market and $99 Black Friday sales is downright shocking

There are no other words for it.

Thank goodness for Japan.

4J91p0M.gif

Such a useful gif.

18-Volt

220k with Mario in November actually pretty great. That will initiate the Nintendo Moneyhatting Process. Dark Souls 3 exclusive for Wii U, anyone?

Shocked at the 3DS figures I must say, especially with price offers on the 2DS and plenty of BF offers on XL bundles. With the great raft of software it's had so far this year I'd have thought it would have had stronger appeal.

WiiU? The system just has no momentum whatsoever. It's become that racist family member that no one really wants at the family gathering, but you just have to have to invite them out of politeness and common courtesy.

prag16

Banned
220k Wii U
215k Mario

7sjee6ycjdlw.gif

Those are rough numbers. Especially Mario. I'm more surprised by that than the weak hardware sales. Perhaps there is a bit of Mario fatigue, and perhaps the NSMBU hardware bundle hurt SM3DW sales a bit...

Regardless. Rough ass numbers for Nintendo. Even 3DS and Pokemon weren't THAT strong.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Their problems are way bigger than just releasing a more powerful system.

Leadership NEEDS to change no matter what.

I just think the market is speaking loud and clear that if Nintendo isn't putting out a system that is better than the current ones on the market, there's no reason for anyone to buy it.

Xamdou

Sony releasing the PS4 games weeks before the actual console launch is just pure genius marketing strategy. I mean literally the beginning of the month and they already have PS4 games out there just to increase awareness of the inevitable PS4 console release. Sony stepped their game up for sure this gen that's for damn sure.

Riki

Pretty much. What people forgot was that the Wii was the outlier in the Nintendo family of home consoles.

Every single Nintendo home console since the NES has seen significant decline in sales compared to its predecessor.

The Wii was the single exception to that. The Wii U is the return to form. Nintendo has become irrelevant in the home console business. They need to pull out, and now because they are embarrassing themselves and running their business into the ground.

Pssst. That post was satire.

The news on Wii U numbers is actually great news for Nintendo fans and Nintendo as a whole, as it's possible that this may be the wake up call that they needed to drastically reevaluate their approach to this industry.

We said this after the N64 and Gamecube too. But I can see why Wii U ushers in these sentiments as well.

But they have too big a war chest to pack it up. After numbers like this, they'll need some new leadership fosho though. Can't see Iwata being allowed to stay around much longer.

220k during a November is beyond horrendous.

marrec

Banned
I'm as huge a fan of the Vita as the next guy (Smoky notwithstanding) but the USA don't care about it. It did terribly in Nov just like it did terribly the last month.

This threads for something else.

Iwata said:
Fortunately, the year-end sales season is an opportunity in which various members of the family are likely to take an interest in Nintendo's home consoles, so we will try to change the situation surrounding Wii U through our efforts for this year-end sales season.

"The key title that is going to drive this year's year-end sales season is Super Mario 3D World, the latest installment in the Super Mario series that is set to be released in November.

8logmGx.gif

ghibli99

I don't like reading into numbers too much, but those Wii U numbers are just... ugh. The saddest thing about it is that they will in all likelihood affect what they put into future development, as well as what 3rd parties invest (which is still pretty much nothing). It's too bad... I've enjoyed the games I've played on it (WWHD, NSMBU and SM3DW), but there just isn't enough steam. The 3DS has been great, though, after what was a horrible, horrible start.

Technically this is worse than Dreamcast level.

DC had a much higher start than WiiU.

I wonder how close I was on PS4. Still shocked Sony hasn't released the numbers.

turnbuckle

Comparison data. We are in Dreamcast territory.

Dreamcast territory while in a much larger gaming market.

Very depressing numbers. I wanted to say "can't say I'm surprised" but I actually am. I thought 350k would be worst case scenario until Pachter made his prediction earlier in the week.

Time to wrap up the Wii U. Dunno where Nintendo goes from there, whether it's focusing on handhelds or giving consoles another shot. But the Wii U just isn't doing it. It's done. Would love to eat a big helping of crow on this.

I died laughing at the Wii U live reaction.....and then I realized how sad this whole thing is. There will be a huge shakeup at Nintendo next year

Kusagari

Really more than the Wii U being predictably awful, those 3DS numbers are really bad.

Zelda, Pokemon, the 2DS launching, bundles and deals everywhere and it can't even come close to a mill?

Nintendo is not in good shape.

At all.

Kouriozan

Oh well, time to be sad for Nintendo, having some of the best games don't mean anything if your console drag everything down.
Better luck next gen.

Nibiru

Banned
I feel bad for Nintendo, but Wii U is just an extremely disappointing and archaic console.

The Wii U was very poorly marketed out of the gate and poor sales from that initial period made 3rd parties abandon it. The console isn't a turd it's just that so many people that had a Wii didn't even understand it. I mean the E3 presser was all about the controller. People were even questioning if it was even a new console for awhile or whether it was just a controller add on for the Wii.

It was just marketing.

Fox Mulder

This would only work (and even then it would be a bad idea) if they were giving up on consoles all together.

I think they can try again.

Killing the wiiu will hurt and lead to massive changes, but I think sticking with a turd product for 5 years is gong to hurt them more as they slide further into irrelevance.

The Nintendo brand is finally over. Maybe next decade!

It's over, period. Nintendo lost the casuals, and that's the end of their Wii U hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for Wii U. Nintendo has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a Wii U. Except if they want to play Bayonetta 2. Which will also come to PS4 at some point.

Microsoft and Sony took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a WiiU over a PS4 or Xbox one(except Miiverse LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the underpowered non-entity that was Wii U.

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for PS3 too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

LOL. I never get tired of seeing these.

Top Bottom