• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

I don't think Nintendo can afford a huge $100 price cut for the Wii U. That's just eating to much money for any gaming company. They are better off cutting the price overtime and releasing the games currently in development to recoup the costs overtime. Double down on the 3DS and crank out the successor for their handheld in 2015/2016. Then release a console or device that we have never seen before whether it's a cloud service, console, tablet, phone, or anything else they can create.

Just a price drop won't do anything. It really needs a revamped image. A redesign with cheaper components, smaller GamePad, new marketing campaign for fall 2014. Wii U Mini, Wii U SP, whatever they wanna call it. Phasing out the current model eventually.

Basically similar to what they're doing with the portable market. Other than that, I don't see how things can improve.

Spinning would be if they said that the XboxOne was the best selling console over the last 9 days of november.(assuming that the XboxOne sold more units than the Ps4 between launch on the 22nd and end of november.)
But saying the XboxOne was the fastest selling console in november with 900k in 9 days is just wrong when the Ps4 sold a million on a single day. That wouldn't be spinning anymore.

Except I'm missing something here and preorders are counted for the months they were placed in and not the months they were shipped. The the Ps4s million on Day1 would probably shrink drastically if you go by that standard.

XBO: 0.9m / 9 days ~ 101k/day
PS4: (guess) 1.2m / 16 days ~ 75k/day

It's obviously stupid, but just how they are trying to spin it...
29.6% of what?
Total Vita sales.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I look at this more positively. It puts Nintendo in a position where they have to react and plan. Get their ducks in a row and execute against a high quality bar that was set by their competition. Nintendo isn't dead but they have a huge hole to dig themselves out of and they have a ton of cash to spend to make it reality. The WiiU was a directionless, technologically lazy design. Now they have to step up and deliver at a competitive level. That is what is so exciting about their position.

I would agree this is the real takeaway from Nintendo's current position.

For a long time many fans have looked at Nintendo and demanded they change in some way. What those fans may not have realized is that in order for that change to come about, something like the current scenario was probably necessary. It usually is.

Personally, I see Sony as a comparison. Sony really seemed blindsided by the reception to the PS3, what with all that Crazy Ken attitude going in. Even though Sony did recover well thanks to achieving parity with industry 3rd party support, it was clear Sony still got the message. Until the PS4 was revealed, nobody knew just how deeply Sony was affected by what happened with the PS3.

Similarly, the Wii U is the final result of the course Nintendo has been on, in one way or another, since the inception of the N64 hardware strategy. They have at last arrived at the destination. It's time to pick a new one.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Yeah, those are pretty much negligent factors.
The problem with the Wii U is that it's just not a desirable piece of hardware, for either developers (who would seek more powerful alternatives) or for potential consumers, because the concept of the GamePad just doesn't work in the same way the WiiMote had appeal - it was a swing and a miss from Nintendo, and even their biggest franchises are sinking with it.

Exactly.

Value proposition is huge. They are selling inferior hardware at a high price and telling us that we should like that because Nintendo is "going against the grain"

In reality they are trying to save money on something they see as not as important but trying to sell it at a price that barely reflects that. The tablet controller was a terrible get and doesn't even have the same functionality as something that is modern

Nothing about the console appeals to casuals for the reasons they enjoy tablets. Nothing about the hardware inspires core gamers who don't only play Nintendo games. The only people buying are people who like Nintendo games only and nothing else. But then they aren't even doing a good job of releasing games for that group of people either.

They need to release another console next year that drops the tablet and has a better parity hardware-wise to a PC

Um have you heard of the Wii? That is complete dominance. The 360 held a solid middle ground while PS3 languished around trying to get its act together. PS3 has slowly closed the gap over a long period, you cant close a sales gap unless your console is selling better than 360. If it was being dominated by 360 the gap would be wider than when this gen started.

Besides who said the race had finished?

there have been so many "PS3 passes 360" threads on here that I've honestly started dismissing them outright as soon as I see them

No Zelda, No Mario

You know whose turn it is

icMn6YRNdz0M4.gif

what in the world O_O

Aren't they still losing money on the WiiU as it is because of the price cut a few months back? Come to think of it, I don't know if they were EVER making money on the WiiU.

As to what they even do with their console...regardless of when it comes out, I have no idea what they should do next. Trying to catch lightning in a bottle twice with the WiiU has failed spectacularly, but there's no guarantee a box on par with the other two consoles would be adopted in a big way by consumers or third party devs.

Where does Nintendo go from here?

That's for a great leader to decide. I think now is probably the biggest test for Iwata or for Nintendo's next leader. How can they lead Nintendo's home console business back into relevancy in terms of sales. I personally have no idea where they go.

Steel

Banned
just realized
46 pages in, no numbers for the leading platform
wtf

uh
December is a bigger sales month then November

Sony said enough to get the number out that sales were 1,000,000<PS4<1,600,000(ish), which is obviously good enough. Could be that PS3 and Vita sales were disappointing enough that they didn't want to release everything.

AzaK

Eventually Nintendo have to hit a small amount of momentum right? That or at least get some sales boosts when Mario Kart and DK come out. Add in X and few others Nintendo can trickle along for a while.

I'm wondering if at some point there's so many good games on the system that a lot of people just start jumping in.

What's the precedence for sales like Wii U? Does anyone ever really resurrect from the grave?

Endo Punk

I seriously did not expect certain games like AC to sell more on PS4 than PS3. The best thing Sony did is to sell the system as a gaming machine. It just hard-wired into peoples heads that it's the one to purchase games for. I may be getting ahead of myself but this will likely continue and help exclusive titles on the system more than ever before.

big_erk

I look at this more positively. It puts Nintendo in a position where they have to react and plan. Get their ducks in a row and execute against a high quality bar that was set by their competition. Nintendo isn't dead but they have a huge hole to dig themselves out of and they have a ton of cash to spend to make it reality. The WiiU was a directionless, technologically lazy design. Now they have to step up and deliver at a competitive level. That is what is so exciting about their position.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. If Nintendo had simply released a Wii U that was smack in the middle of the 360/PS3 and the One/PS4 we probably wouldn't be looking at the issues they are having now.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
As an proud owner of Nintendo consoles for over 25 years, I am really sad right now. They still make amazing games, but people just don't care anymore.

exactly what i was gonna post, only difference is 28 years

cant really say more then this. Sad beyond belief

Top Bottom