• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

People just need realize it's something new that exists. The name and poor marketing have crippled the system which otherwise is a good product.

When something is failing people always blame the marketing. Blackberry's CEO blames the marketing. Palm fans blamed the Marketing. Apple fans in the 90's blamed the marketing and then low and behold, when they started shipping good products their sales improved.

It's never the marketing.

antonz

The only thing that can save the Vita is someone cracking that thing wide open for pirates. Would be total shit for software makers but Sony would bring in the bucks for system sales much like PSP

Cygnus X-1

Honestly, I still wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo ended up not posting a loss for 2013. It returned to profitability for 2012, and people tend to ignore the effect of exchange rates on Nintendo's earnings, which is potentially as big as that of its actual sales.

They will. Losses are out of question. However, FY 2014 will be a bloodbath without some serious changes.

Mr-Joker

Banned
No Zelda, No Mario

You know whose turn it is

icMn6YRNdz0M4.gif

Come on Cranky work your magic.

The Wii U numbers are pathetically low.

I blame Luigi, giving him his own year was just asking for it. ;p

This is Nintendo. They don't take losses. I am pretty confident that they are making a profit on every WiiU sold at $300.

No they are taking a loss with the Wii U, which is why they can't can't lower the price any more.

Thoraxes

So is not going to Plus because being a low tier seller.

I'm not sure where you are getting this idea that I am saying it's going to Plus. Not once in any my posts have I mentioned it going to Plus because it is a low seller (I did respond to a poster who did though).

I simply mentioned it's going to be on sale this weekend (starting Sunday specifically) at Gamestop for $20, and before that, wondered if the half-price price-cut less than a month after launch could be indicative of sales.

jcracken

Banned
Um have you heard of the Wii? That is complete dominance. The 360 held a solid middle ground while PS3 languished around trying to get its act together. PS3 has slowly closed the gap over a long period, you cant close a sales gap unless your console is selling better than 360. If it was being dominated by 360 the gap would be wider than when this gen started.

Besides who said the race had finished?

I really don't count the Wii as it really was less of a games console and more of a toy. You might as well say that Symbian outsold the iPhone at that point, when in reality Symbian was only selling at the very, very low end and was really nothing compared to the iPhone. And I was meaning that halfway through last gen, around the time Kinect was released and J Allard left the PS3, like Samsung, got its shit together and started to rise a comparable level as that of its competition.

Just look at the top 10.

CoD + BF + AC + Sports Games. That is really telling of where the industry is heading. Even with that launch from PS4/XB1 this generation will be leaded by 100 versions of those games, everyone obviously focusing so much on Nintendo but I would say for every system say goodbye to the niche games that we love so much, every game released will be so predictable.

Gorillaz

The scary part is that this was the holiday push. You might get some hits in december but this was the big one for all 3.

So if Nintendo is struggling during the holiday how are they going to do during the dry spell after holiday time period until mario kart

Steel

Banned
The only thing that can save the Vita is someone cracking that thing wide open for pirates. Would be total shit for software makers but Sony would bring in the bucks for system sales much like PSP

I'm not so sure that Sony is making a much of a profit(if any) on every unit sold, so.....

Hell it'd be good for retailers though.

ascii42

The one thing keeping the Vita (barely) going is that software sales are pretty good for the thing.

That's for a great leader to decide. I think now is probably the biggest test for Iwata or for Nintendo's next leader. How can they lead Nintendo's home console business back into relevancy in terms of sales. I personally have no idea where they go.

Whether it's Iwata or someone else, I don't envy their position at this point. The next few years are going to be fucking brutal.

rockx4

I really don't count the Wii as it really was less of a games console and more of a toy. You might as well say that Symbian outsold the iPhone at that point, when in reality Symbian was only selling at the very, very low end and was really nothing compared to the iPhone. And I was meaning that halfway through last gen, around the time Kinect was released and J Allard left the PS3, like Samsung, got its shit together and started to rise a comparable level as that of its competition.

wtf? It's main feature was that it played games. How was it less of a game console?

Top Bottom