• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

But Nintendo is stuck with that albatros of a controller that inflates the cost of the system while apparently failing to drive demand.

Yep simply put, console buyers (gamers) are demanding better graphics and 3rd party support, and for the casual/family/impulse buyers out there the Wii U is not a good proposition mostly because name confusion/price/game library.

Shufel

Those Wii U sales are awful, but about what I expected. 3DS sales are solid but having released Pokemon for Christmas, as well as the 2DS and Zelda they should be better than that for sure. Definitely disappointing. In the long run Nintendo has to be pretty worried. They basically dropped all of their big guns on the 3DS this year and the Wii U is just a disaster in general.

The Vita isn't even worth talking about.

Calling my shot for Wii U December at... 270K.

It's kind of hard to tally. Last December NPD didn't see much boost over November, which isn't historically normal but seems more in line with trends of the past few years. In fact, if not for 3DS seeing a pretty good increase, sales would have been relatively flat. I'm going with a 23% increase for Wii U over November. Not sure if I believe it, but that's my number and I'll stick with it.

Maedhros

I think Vita will get another price drop in the world next year, with Vita 2000. They need to drop the memory cards prices too.

Bundles with PS4, like SCEE is doing.

And games. I hope we get at least 5 next year.

StevieP

Banned
I really don't count the Wii as it really was less of a games console and more of a toy. You might as well say that Symbian outsold the iPhone at that point, when in reality Symbian was only selling at the very, very low end and was really nothing compared to the iPhone. And I was meaning that halfway through last gen, around the time Kinect was released and J Allard left the PS3, like Samsung, got its shit together and started to rise a comparable level as that of its competition.

Ridiculous mental gymnastics on display. All consoles are toys

Miletius

Honestly, like in the last thread, I'm fine with Wii U being a 3 to 4 year system. I bought it naught but 1 month ago and feel like I'll get my money's worth between what's out now and whatever may come out by 2015-2016. A discount on the next system would help of course....

B.O.O.M

Honestly, people shouldn't count out the Vita yet.

I'm pretty sure Sony will handle the situation well

I like your optimism friend. High Five

but no seriously the thing is dead, especially in NA. Know why? Because SCEA gives no fucks. No Special hardware bundles this year like the AC bundle last year. No major reveals at E3. It's just incompetency at it's finest. Sony is such a weird creature given how drastically different they have handled the vita vs PS4. At least I give props for Nintendo because despite the wiiu tanking they support it well

qko

These games are on 4-6 platforms. I'd be surprised if they weren't in the top 10.

I'm far more interested in seeing individual sales rather then have them all lumped together.

Even then, with all the new hardware launching and 6-7 platforms in the market, software sales were down yoy.

icMn6YRNdz0M4.gif

reKon

Banned
Was PS3 not tracked or something? Sorry I don't know how these reports work. If the Xbox 360 is outselling by something like 2:1, it's crazy considering:

1) Has arguably the best console line up in last gen gaming
2) Free online MP
3) One of the best blu-ray players in terms of suppor
4) Ridiculously cheap

My goodness lol

Cygnus X-1

yeah nintendo got their shit kicked in this month.

wii u and 3d world are self-explanatory. i think with having the whole of december they'll sell incrementally better. that's still not anywhere near good though.

3ds is doing okay but it should have topped a million with $99 hardware on the market. pokemon absolutely dropped off as well, and zelda did okay with 400k games (once you include the bundles).

i think in 2014, they need to have $200 hardware. really, get rid of the gamepad. at this point it's not even about getting it into people's homes- it's about reducing cost of producing each console. these are going to be lean years up ahead.

the 2ds needs to drop down to $100 eventually, but not for a while. instead, nintendo should advertise all their handheld games this year and make sure interest in the 3ds doesn't drop off like it did with the wii u. i feel that 2013 will be its peak year in the states. smash bros., yoshi, and others will probably sell well, but they've burnt all their system-sellers now. i think the worst part of the 3ds is that the games are super expensive for handhelds. $40 isn't much of an agreeable price. it wasn't ten years ago, it wasn't five years ago, and it isn't now.

2015 would be a good time to actually release one new piece of hardware. i don't think they can afford to have a tailing off period and it seems the 3ds is going to drop off sooner than later. it's a risky proposition, but if they spend the next two years creating some sort of hybrid system, it might pay off. it depends on marketing though. whatever they make next, they need to communicate why people want the thing and don't let up, and don't have ten months after launch where there aren't first-party releases.

Good post. I'm now off, but it will be interesting to see how they are going to plan a comeback. Not of the Wii U. Of Nintendo of course.

I like your optimism friend. High Five

but no seriously the thing is dead, especially in NA. Know why? Because SCEA gives no fucks. No Special hardware bundles this year like the AC bundle last year. No major reveals at E3. It's just incompetency at it's finest. Sony is such a weird creature given how drastically different they have handled the vita vs PS4. At least I give props for Nintendo because despite the wiiu tanking they support it well
Yup. Wii U may be a failure but Sony's Vita efforts are downright pathetic.

zeopower6

Sub 100k in November.

I don't know what to say, only that Vita is done

tbh, I'm not sure anyone was expecting anything all that great from the Vita numbers-wise anyway... -shrug-

The main issues are expensive memory and there's almost no real must have title on the Vita other than Persona 4 Golden.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I already own a Vita.

And I'm not a smelly yank.

Justin

Was PS3 not tracked or something? Sorry I don't know how these reports work. If the Xbox 360 is outselling by something like 2:1, it's crazy considering:

1) Has arguably the best console line up in last gen gaming
2) Free online MP
3) One of the best blu-ray players in terms of suppor
4) Ridiculously cheap

Microsoft releases numbers, Sony doesn't.

Top Bottom