• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

Boss Man

sure it does. just because you might have sour grapes about ipods/iphones/ipads does not make them poor products.
I own an iphone (and like it) but if you asked me to name a brand that sells an image over a product, Apple would be the first one right in front of Beats headphones.

HOLY FUCK @ the Mario 3D first month numbers. God awful. That makes me think even the diehard Nintendo core faithful (the one audience you figure they could at least count on) have either given up on or not bought into the Wii U. That's a fucking awful sign long term if Nintendo doesn't even have at least that core captive audience to sell to. What were Pikmin 3's first month numbers by comparison?

PBY

Banned
Sony made the right call using shitty exclusives. I'm actually surprised neither Forza nor DR3 charted, legit good games.

Wait, what?

No lol. As buyer of Knack AND KZ, I can definitely say they didn't make the right call. And I guarantee you they didn't say "lets launch with mediocre games, it won't matter- save the good games for later"

What kind of logic is that.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
OK, so the Wii U in 2013 sold about 12.8% more than the Dreamcast in 2000 did. It's not a lot more, but it sounds like somewhat of a moral victory.

Except when we look at U.S. gross domestic product in 2000 versus 2013, which increased 21.6%, showing that doomed, failing consoles in their second Novembers failed to keep pace with GDP by nearly nine percentage points.

The Wii U versus the Dreamcast couldn't even keep up with the U.S. population, which increased 14.5% in 2013 over 2000.

So by these metrics, the Wii U is actually doing significantly worse than the Dreamcast in the U.S.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
If you look at that and go, "Oh, yes, not worried!" then you are more calm headed than I am. Sirens should be going off at Nintendo. This is the time they need to start planning for the next platform that will probably determine whether or not they remain relevant in the west and that is not an exaggeration.

Agreed. The Wii-U is a failure, it ain't turning around. Nintendo is still a good company, but they dreadfully need to change their roadmap as their current way of doing things does not work. They need to re-invent themselves and play to their strengths while eliminating the weaknesses and bad choices.

What Nintendo does well:

- motion controls. The Wii was innovative and it worked.
- portable gaming. The 3DS had low numbers in Nov but it's still the best handheld out there by far, for now at least.
- they make good games.

What they do poorly:

- the gamepad with the Wii-U was a bad choice, it added cost that no one really wanted to pay for and added something most developers (including Nintendo) barely used.
- they don't output enough games. FAR too much gap between releases.
- their software genre diversity is much worse than it used to be. They need to vary up their games more to appeal to larger diversity of people.
- their online infrastructure and support is pathetic and out of date, they drastically need to bring this up to modern times.

Nintendo needs to start planning on their next console now, and plan it out well. They need to play to their strengths and get rid of the weaknesses. In my opinion, this is what the next Nintendo console needs to be:

- make a new Wii but call it something entirely new. Give it up to date specs, with PC style hardware similar in architecture to both XB1 and PS4. Make it very easy for 3rd parties to port games to the system.
- include the motion wand and a standard "dual shock" style controller, a gaming device gamers are used to and love. Do not include another gamepad.
- make VERY sure the system launches with at least a half dozen solid NIntendo titles, covering a variety of genres. A new Zelda, a Mario Party game, Waverace, Starfox, a Pokemon strategy game, and Pikmin. Something like that, all on launch day.
- Make the new 3DS or whaterver the next handheld is work WITH the new system, similar to how the gamepad does now. Allow it to be used as a controller and have games able to utilize the 3DS display for bonus features when enabled. Don't make it mandatory, but make it desirable. This would replace the Wii-U gamepad functionality by utilizing their very own handheld, and boost sales for both of Nintendo's platforms simultaneously.
- use blu-rays / dvds as media. Have the system play blu-rays in HD. It's a standard, just do it.
- create on online small developer market, an indie scene, and release dev tools to make homebrew content both easy and practical. Let users create exclusive content to make the system desirable.
- Most Importantly, flesh out the development teams or hire new ones to crank out software faster. The dry spells need to diminish, don't depend on 3rd parties to carry the system.

Nintendo still has potential to be a contender in the future, but they need to change their ways NOW in order to right the sinking ship. If they don't, they will join Sega down the not too distant road...

OryoN

This is Nintendo. They don't take losses. I am pretty confident that they are making a profit on every WiiU sold at $300.

They were taking losses on each Wii U sold, before the price drop. I'm sure they walked away with decent profits here though, but mainly due to 3DS, of course.

Busaiku

I think people are underestimating how big a factor $40 games are for 3DS.
Yes, the hardware price is low, but when software is so expensive, people are still gonna be very apprehensive.

This has worked greatly to the benefit of publishers like Atlus, but hurt the overall ecosystem.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Honestly, I still wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo ended up not posting a loss for 2013. It returned to profitability for 2012, and people tend to ignore the effect of exchange rates on Nintendo's earnings, which is potentially as big as that of its actual sales.

I'm expecting an operating profit between 10-20 Billion Yen (100-200 million US) for their fiscal-year - a mere 10%-20% of their actual projections, let that sink in for a moment.

It is quite evident that Nintendo needs a restructuring and new management to go along with it. Nintendo is currently in the same position as Namco-Bandai were previously where revenues are slipping and profitability is at risk. Namco-Bandai reacted however and established new management in 2009-2010 and restructured the company in order for it to strive in today's business model. Today, Namco-Bandai is the most profitable publisher in Japan (eclipses Nintendo in profitability) and is projected to have an operating income of 45 Billion Yen (450 million US) this fiscal year.

It's painful to watch as Nintendo has the tools necessary to be a successful company yet falters under current mismanagement.

Yawnier

Banned
The fact that you listed Ys as a big release should tell you everything you need to know about the health of the system.

Just look at the Vita's upcoming retail releases, its looking very bleak. There isn't a whole lot there announced for Western release aside from some niche Japanese games such as Danganronpa or Conception II from the smaller pubs.

Pathetic results.
Sony really should have never released the Vita. They should have just walked away from the PSP as the only decent competitor against Nintendo in the handheld space and focused everything on home consoles, where their brand is strong.

It's because Japan doesn't seem give as much of a damn for home consoles. PSP sold about 20 million in Japan and it took both Wii and PS3 to really match the PSP's install base there. A successor was the logical choice. The 360 with it's near non existence presence in Japan sold 80+ million on it's own; really speaks why even Sony is releasing PS4 near year for Japan there.

Road

I hope I can snatch a $99 clearance Vita next year, even though I don't live in the US.

I never managed to get those $99 PSP go.

kinggroin

Banned
Pathetic results.
Sony really should have never released the Vita. They should have just walked away from the PSP as the only decent competitor against Nintendo in the handheld space and focused everything on home consoles, where their brand is strong.

What bullshit is thi? Don't release it because it did win some sales war? The platform has a shitload of great games to play and lots of fans who want to play them. Nothing wrong with being niche and still getting support.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
75k > Vita > Sep + Oct

Oh wow that beyond horrible for November. that's it then.

I don't think they'll even need to release Vitatv in the west, I guess Sony need to just start all over again with a new portable in few years. maybe get Tegra 5/6 and learn from their Vita mistake.

ec0ec0

The Nintendo brand is finally over. Maybe next decade!

It's over, period. Nintendo lost the casuals, and that's the end of their Wii U hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for Wii U. Nintendo has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a Wii U. Except if they want to play Bayonetta 2. Which will also come to PS4 at some point.

Microsoft and Sony took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a WiiU over a PS4 or Xbox one(except Miiverse LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny titles that will be nice but won't stir up any sales is not going to salvage the underpowered non-entity that was Wii U.

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for PS3 too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of Nintendo is done.

ajaja... gaf...

EDIT: (i know that this is the "amirox post" :p)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Damn at the Vita numbers. I thought some of the BF deals and remote play would give it some life. I just bought one too since I wanted to snag it before the OLED is gone.

HOLY FUCK @ the Mario 3D first month numbers. God awful. That makes me think even the diehard Nintendo core faithful (the one audience you figure they could at least count on) have either given up on or not bought into the Wii U. That's a fucking awful sign long term if Nintendo doesn't even have at least that core captive audience to sell to. What were Pikmin 3's first month numbers by comparison?

Half of them are too busy on YouTube making damage control videos

"Leave Iwata alone , everything is fine"

Urgghhh

AniHawk

You? You bought one? You probably sold it off already :p

5TH5kPr.jpg

not pictured: ys memories of celceta.

i really like tearaway. i just haven't made time for myself to finish it.

Steel

Banned
Just look at the Vita's upcoming retail releases, its looking very bleak. There isn't a whole lot there announced for Western release aside from some niche Japanese games such as Danganronpa or Conception II from the smaller pubs.

Toukiden in February is the biggest thing I can think of atm. There's also Minecraft Vita.

mantidor

The scary part is that this was the holiday push. You might get some hits in december but this was the big one for all 3.

So if Nintendo is struggling during the holiday how are they going to do during the dry spell after holiday time period until mario kart

You always sell better in December.

You guys are overreacting, we knew at the beginning that the Wii U wasn't going to have good sales this end year considering PS4 and Xbone launch hype.

Endo Punk

Wait, what?

No lol. As buyer of Knack AND KZ, I can definitely say they didn't make the right call. And I guarantee you they didn't say "lets launch with mediocre games, it won't matter- save the good games for later"

What kind of logic is that.

The logic is that exclusives are buried under 3rd party games so why release the quality ones at launch?

Justin

Sony made the right call using shitty exclusives. I'm actually surprised neither Forza nor DR3 charted, legit good games.

Forza is sitting around 500,000 according to the leaderboards which seems pretty impressive for a racing game on a platform that only has just over 2 million systems sold.

Top Bottom