• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

MarkusRJR

Holy shit Nintendo is in a bad spot. It reached Dreamcast level November sales with all of those BF deals and Mario, and is consistently below DC/GC sales for the rest of the year. If they don't turn it around next year they risk irrelevancy in the industry (regarding consoles)

On the 3DS end they released Animal Crossing, Pokémon, a new 2D Zelda, and created a super low end model. Even then they didn't even beat 2011/2012 November sales.

Oh, and holy shit at the sales of PS4/Xbone. It'll be interesting to see if the crazy sales continue beyond the year.

Ansatz

It's clear that throwing more Advance Wars, Rhythm Heaven, Metroid & more at 3DS won't do anything. The kind of gaming Nintendo stands for is dying @ retail (fear not, indies to the rescue)

I'm not going to pretend I know about economics and investors, but I would hope that Nintendo is content with niche status, as in single platform that averages 8-10 million units a year. A handheld bombarded with gamey, colorful mascot titles. As opposed to westernizing their franchises. The second terms such as mature, mocap and realism are associated with Nintendo, I'm out. There are plenty of retro games to last me a lifetime + whatever indies can cook up.

UNCMark

Banned
What bullshit is thi? Don't release it because it did win some sales war? The platform has a shitload of great games to play and lots of fans who want to play them. Nothing wrong with being niche and still getting support.

Sure, unless you're the company losing shitloads of money on it.

shink

The vita numbers are hardly a surprise considering SCEA forgets it exists. At least UK had that Tearaway bundle but what good that did after hearing about the poor sales of the game.

Mr. RHC

5TH5kPr.jpg

not pictured: ys memories of celceta.

i really like tearaway. i just haven't made time for myself to finish it.

"I regret everything" lol

jcracken

Banned
wtf? It's main feature was that it played games. How was it less of a game console?

if you don't count the Wii your discussion is pretty much irrelevant to any GAFfers.

A Nokia phone running Symbian could make phone calls, had a camera and had apps. Doesn't mean it was on the level of the iPhone. Both Symbian and the Wii are similar actually. But since I already used HTC for Nintendo I'll use them again.

HTC Android phones around 2010, 2011, especially the EVO line, really hit the mainstream and became the first phones, the first devices to bring Android to a mass audience, just as how the Wii arguably brought gaming to the masses.

But both had short term strategies, HTC relied on carrier advertising when it was obvious a single model advertised by the OEM was the only long-term viable solution as it created brand recognition key to the mobile phone market and the Wii focused on capturing a largely transient audience that held no loyalty to gaming instead of going after the hardcore gamers who were integral to a gaming console's long term success.

Lastly, when I said the Wii was more of a toy, I meant that it was more of a product aimed at a mainstream audience instead of the niche that products like it aimed for. When the iPhone wanted to be a smartphone aimed at the masses, it stopped being a true business phone and more of a mainstream, casual device--closer to a toy. Of course, there are still businesses that use iPhones but the fact is that devices such as BB10 devices and even Samsung devices that support Samsung Knox are much better business phones. Even recently, Obama said something along the lines of that he wanted to use an iPhone but couldn't because security and IT people made him use a Blackberry, much safer and better for business/national security.

Poor Iwata :( As likable a President as he's been, and as much success as he had with the Wii, I don't see how he survives this. He has not shown much of a feel for the challenges facing Nintendo. Even if deeper, structural problems explain Wii U's fate, it doesn't look good that Iwata was slow to realize the hazards of HD development, planned a console around 3rd party support he had no means of securing, stuck with the "Wii U" label when it was known to cause confusion, and oversaw a dreadful marketing campaign that resulted in Wii U being a less-recognized commodity one year after its release than the PS4 and Xbone were eight months before their respective releases.

Holy shit Nintendo is in a bad spot. It reached Dreamcast level November sales with all of those BF deals and Mario, and is consistently below DC/GC sales for the rest of the year. If they don't turn it around next year they risk irrelevancy in the industry (regarding consoles)

On the 3DS end they released Animal Crossing, Pokémon, a new 2D Zelda, and created a super low end model. Even then they didn't even beat 2011/2012 November sales.

Oh, and holy shit at the sales of PS4/Xbone. It'll be interesting to see if the crazy sales continue beyond the year.
They did beat 2012 November and the system is up YoY. Not that it is anything to brag about, of course considering last year was absolutely pathetic on the software front in comparison.

PBY

Banned
The logic is that exclusives are buried under 3rd party games so why release the quality ones at launch?

A few things.

I don't agree with your premise about launch being the factor why 3rd parties overtook the exclusives- It has a lot more imo opinion to do with NPD tracking of multiple skus, which severely disadvantages single sku releases.

Secondly, if thats the case, then its an insult to day 1 buyers like me.

It's because Japan doesn't seem give as much of a damn for home consoles. PSP sold about 20 million in Japan and it took both Wii and PS3 to really match the PSP's install base there. A successor was the logical choice.

They didn't even try with the Vita though.
Sure, that thing will be a "success" over there, but how the hell didn't they realize that losing MH was the sign of impending doom?
I might be wrong, but aren't four releases of MH on the psp the only thing that crossed 1 million units on that platform in Japan?

Regiruler

You bought a PS4 but bought AC4 on Wii U? haha you make bad choices.

He did mention he regretted everything.
But yeah if I was in his shoes and I was going for AC4 I would have grabbed the PS4 version, assuming they were the same price (which is possible they weren't).

I've been reading this sentiment a lot lately on GAF, and no.

8 months of bad press do not even begin to wipe away the 8 years of utter dominance in the US console market that Microsoft has enjoyed over Sony. Painting the Xbone as any kind of underdog in the US is downright ludicrous.

Microsoft failed to sell a million units in the first week, a figure the PS4 reached in a single day. They cannot afford to consider this launch as a 'win'.
I don't know man, throw in the extra $100 and it's pretty damn good

Celine

OK, so the Wii U in 2013 sold about 12.8% more than the Dreamcast in 2000 did. It's not a lot more, but it sounds like somewhat of a moral victory.

Except when we look at U.S. gross domestic product in 2000 versus 2013, which increased 21.6%, showing that doomed, failing consoles in their second Novembers failed to keep pace with GDP by nearly nine percentage points.

The Wii U versus the Dreamcast couldn't even keep up with the U.S. population, which increased 14.5% in 2013 over 2000.

So by these metrics, the Wii U is actually doing significantly worse than the Dreamcast in the U.S.
DC was $150 since mid 2000 (and even less during the holiday).
Then Sega pack it up and slashed the console to $99-> $75 and finally $50.

Top Bottom