• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

Portugeezer

What bullshit is thi? Don't release it because it did win some sales war? The platform has a shitload of great games to play and lots of fans who want to play them. Nothing wrong with being niche and still getting support.

This. But with shit sales we can expect more ports/multiplats/HDremakes, less original Vita games. But for now enjoy Tearaway and Killzone.

I was surprised how much I liked the Vita, PS Store has a lot of games and most of which seem reasonably priced.

Why is Sony so quiet?

I'm guessing it's better to let people assume that the gap is bigger if the total gap is not as big as people would like.

Like if Samsung sold 10 mil. Galaxy Notes in a month and Apple sold 12 mil. iPhones that same month Apple still won overall by a pretty big gap but if people are assuming they won anywhere from 10.1 to 18 mil they would rather not announce that the real number is lower than what fanboys want.

could be.

Albo

The Wii U was one of the most successful launches up to that point.

PS4 and X1 will not maintain these sales. Just like every system, they will drop, nor is Wii U "dead", anymore than 3DS was dead and a major flop destined never to sell and proof that Nintendo would be going 3rd party:

www.vg247.com/2011/04/14/the-problem-with-3ds-why-we-could-be-looking-at-a-failure/
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/13/us-nintendo-idUSTRE78C0PF20110913

Anyone who was paying attention last generation should have realized 2 things:

1. The market is insatiably hungry for games
2. The market will not buy systems until they are cheap

Every single platform last generation sold over 80 million: DS, PSP, Wii, 360, PS3. Some of those platforms took 1-3 years before they ever reached regularly high monthly sales numbers. In fact, the only system to reach and maintain high monthly sales was the Wii. (They did this in the midst of the mobile boom, not before it, despite mobile advocates crying the death of traditional devices.)

And the prime determinants of when EVERY system reached and maintained high monthly sales were a low initial hardware cost, be it the Wii's off-the-bat cheap launch price or after price drops to $299 for the PS3 and 360 and the buildup of a compelling software library (yes, even Wii Sports counts, cultural phenomenon that it was).

While that's not to say one of the two or even both systems, the PS4 and X1, may maintain high monthly sales immediately as with the Wii or PS2, it is to say that while Wii U may never reach 100 million, 80 million, or even 60 million, it is in no way dead. Anyone who is trying to sell you that idea is...

A) ignorant of the market and its history
B) trolling
C) pushing an agenda

It already has a stellar library and is already being sold cheap at a loss. Sure as time goes on library will improve while price goes down, but by that point ninty will have lost so much money from it, reduced manufacturing cost probably won't make much of a difference recouping it.

It might not be dead, but why should nintendo keep it alive when it isn't benefiting them but hindering them instead? Can they afford to keep funding their biggest budget games that won't sell well enough on this system?

Just look at the top 10.

CoD + BF + AC + Sports Games. That is really telling of where the industry is heading. Even with that launch from PS4/XB1 this generation will be leaded by 100 versions of those games, everyone obviously focusing so much on Nintendo but I would say for every system say goodbye to the niche games that we love so much, every game released will be so predictable.

That's where the industry has been for the past 10 years.

There are plenty of great games that never make the top ten but are still successful.

Doodis

5TH5kPr.jpg

not pictured: ys memories of celceta.

i really like tearaway. i just haven't made time for myself to finish it.
New PS4...check
New Xbox One...check
Assassin's Creed 4 for Wii U...I don't even...

I think you need to read up on advertising history if you think marketing is never a factor lol

Unless you're being weirdly sarcastic.

Not sarcastic. And I think I know a fair bit about advertising history.

Advertising is a factor, but it is almost never the factor. If a product doesn't connect with consumers, marketing will barely move the needle. Advertising is a spice not the meal.

Do you disagree that fans of failing companies and products always seem to criticize the marketing? It is an easy scapegoat, but it is never the problem. In the Wii U's case, any complaints about the confused and muddy message that Nintendo has sent about the console is dwarfed by the confused and muddy strategies that Nintendo has followed in the design of the system and it's software. You can argue that bad advertising is a symptom of larger corporate disfunction, but to say that advertising is killing the Wii U would be like saying that someone who had Ebola virus died because they were too itchy.

AniHawk

Is this the first time that memory cards is a major reason why a console/handheld is failing?

i don't think that's the case. like the wii u, i think the vita is just completely unappealing hardware. like the wii u, i don't think their first-party understands the hardware.

the vita should have had the power of a 3ds, released at $150, and had tearaway at launch.

It's pretty fucking scary to me. The handheld numbers are pretty shit. I don't want to play everything on a fucking iphone.

Man this the truth, once dedicated handhelds dry up I'm" officially out the game.

Gaming Industry has basically become Hollywood but much worse:

pVUV4uE.png

And Need For Speed and WWE had releases as well this year, but they didn't end top ten.

Could say I'm" surprised... but then I'd be lying, established brands always rule the roost.

Some of the denial on Twitter is astounding.

ockN1vw.png
Beginning on the hardware side, although the Wii U did fail to outsell the PS4 and Xbox One, Wii U sales did see an increase of over 340% in November over the month of October. This is even more significant, considering that October Wii U sales were already well above the September amount, just as September sales were already well above the August figures. In short, the Wii U is performing much better than it has been in the previous months...

Each game sold 225,000 units, meaning that the total was about 550,000 units sold. Keep in mind that all Nintendo sales include both retail as well as digital sales..
Quality reporting

Vyer

A Nokia phone running Symbian could make phone calls, had a camera and had apps. Doesn't mean it was on the level of the iPhone. Both Symbian and the Wii are similar actually. But since I already used HTC for Nintendo I'll use them again.

HTC Android phones around 2010, 2011, especially the EVO line, really hit the mainstream and became the first phones, the first devices to bring Android to a mass audience, just as how the Wii arguably brought gaming to the masses.

But both had short term strategies, HTC relied on carrier advertising when it was obvious a single model advertised by the OEM was the only long-term viable solution as it created brand recognition key to the mobile phone market and the Wii focused on capturing a largely transient audience that held no loyalty to gaming instead of going after the hardcore gamers who were integral to a gaming console's long term success.

Lastly, when I said the Wii was more of a toy, I meant that it was more of a product aimed at a mainstream audience instead of the niche that products like it aimed for. When the iPhone wanted to be a smartphone aimed at the masses, it stopped being a true business phone and more of a mainstream, casual device--closer to a toy. Of course, there are still businesses that use iPhones but the fact is that devices such as BB10 devices and even Samsung devices that support Samsung Knox are much better business phones. Even recently, Obama said something along the lines of that he wanted to use an iPhone but couldn't because security and IT people made him use a Blackberry, much safer and better for business/national security.

Motorola's Droid was the phone that first Android phone that brought mainstream appeal. BB10 and BB in general is dead in the water and becoming less relevant in enterprise. I'd wager that iPhones - and likely the very mainstream Galaxy phones - are probably seeing the biggest increases in most businesses. I think most of your mobile analysis here is a little off.

Top Bottom