• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Why the fuck is NFS still full price on PS4? It's even discounted on Xbone. COME THE FUCK ON EA. I WANT TO BUY IT

Boss Man

It's weird.
Because it's not a big deal.

But was made into a big deal by people wanting Knack to outsell Mario so badly.
Dude...

People have such warped perspectives. Of course it's not a big deal if Mario outsells Knack, but otherwise is a big deal if it doesn't. That's not some kind of hidden bias at work. It would also be a big deal if a fucking tornado ripped through Washington D.C., but not a big deal if it didn't.

Not too sure that Apple makes this point well.

They sale overpriced hardware. They also started to do some very good marketing (Think Different, aggressive product placement with their non-beige machines, the wow-factor of OSX).

The market has emphatically said that consumers don't find Apple's hardware to be overpriced.

If you were an apple fan during these days:

99Q0GLu.png

The common refrain on the forums was "Mac OS is so much better than Windows but nobody knows it! We need Ads that just show the products!" But Macs weren't really better than windows, not at the things that consumers cared about and prioritized. The Think different Ads didn't move the sales needle much at all. Jobs later said that they were more to rally the troops than to sell existing product. Things changed with the iMac, a computer that was really good at getting on the internet. And it came out right as consumers became interested in getting online so it was desirable. This was before OSX btw.

Apple turned around because Jobs came in and focused the company on making a few products well. He simplified the complicated product line into 4 categories: a pro desktop, a consumer desktop, a pro laptop and a consumer laptop. Apple's employees knew what they were working towards and consumers knew what they were buying. From that foundation they went on to move into new markets in a perfectly timed fashion and built to where they are today.

Jobs didn't fix Apple with Ads. Better Ads were just a happy side effect of repairing the structure of the company.

witness

Why the fuck is NFS still full price on PS4? It's even discounted on Xbone. COME THE FUCK ON EA. I WANT TO BUY IT

Amazon had it on lightning deal this week for PS4 while the Bone version has been discounted most of the time since releasee. I don't understand it either, but its worth it at full price. Very fun game and it looks great, will hold me over until Drive Club. Its the Dark Souls of driving games!

jusufin

I don’t follow sales threads, but I just saw that this crashed gaf so I got curious. Doesn't selling 100k a week basically mean that X1 is selling slower since PS4 stock sold out instantly and the X1 took weeks? I honestly thought that they both were sold out instantly but the PR makes it seem like the X1 took weeks to sell out of the initial shipment. I expect both to sell every unit they can produce for months so NPDs are really worthless as far as declaring a “winner”, but the pace at which they are selling could be a hint on the hotter console at the moment. I still think its going to be close in NA between the two but if this is any indication, the PS4 may slightly edge it out even in NA starting out. Of course MS still has many tricks up their sleeve so I’m not saying for sure, but out of the gate it does look like the price is going to hurt them in the long run. Short term though, both consoles are doing amazing.

How in the world could you say that? We don't know how far above 100k these are.

The only glaring omissions are NBA 2K14, NFS: Rivals (though Forza hurts it), and either FIFA or Just Dance, whichever is not this 2014.

I thought creamsugar meant that the combined software for XB1 was >100K when I posted that comment. Wasn't thinking straight.

legend166

So now it's clear the Wii U is under no circumstances selling over 20 million consoles (and that's extremely generous), does any one think hardware sales this gen are going to come anywhere near last gen?

Last gen (approx):

Wii - 100 mil
360 - 80 mil
PS3 - 80 mil

I don't think the 360/PS3 are going to have the long shelf life post this Christmas that others are suggesting, but let's say they sell another 15 million between them. So that would put the combined total at 275 million consoles.

PS4/Xbone are going to need to sell around 260 million consoles combined to match this gen. With the continuing narrowed focus of publishers, I just cannot see that happening.

TyrantII

You're talking from a smart perspective, as one who hasn't bought one. But I will tell you that I was thinking the same thing until 3D World came out. The game made me buy the system. It's a system seller.

Don't doubt it. But plenty of excellent killer apps failed to be system sellers, even if they should have been.

The problems with the WiiU goes far beyond just needing a killer App. To start their target demo doesn't even know WTF it is, that it exists, or that it's not a Wii. Nor are they the type of people to catch on to those facts.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Amazon had it on lightning deal this week for PS4 while the Bone version has been discounted most of the tim since releasee. I don't understand it either, but its worth it at full price. Very fun game and it looks great, will hold me over until Drive Club. Its the Dark Souls of driving games!

Fuck. I missed it. I'm going to go shoot myself. Goddamn it amazon.

What a glorious thread it has been, but it's not over yet, the night is still young.

This is a once in a console generation NPD Sales Thread, and I'm glad to have been a witness to it right here, right now, on GAF while it was happening.

The Return of the King to his rightful throne. The surprise comeback of a maligned platform after all the negativity that surrounded it. The utter confirmation of the demise and irrelevancy of a platform that was touted to the herald to the others two platforms demise.

The raw emotions, the tears, the salt. It delivered.

I am not cheering on the failure of the Wii U. However, if there is one positive here it's that there will now be even more pressure for changes in management.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
My guess on PS4 games:

K is Killzone (topped next-gen preorder charts for some time)
N is NFS Rivals (only racing game on PS4, while that demand was eaten up by Forza on XB1)
Knack didn't chart.

So now it's clear the Wii U is under no circumstances selling over 20 million consoles (and that's extremely generous), does any one think hardware sales this gen are going to come anywhere near last gen?

Last gen (approx):

Wii - 100 mil
360 - 80 mil
PS3 - 80 mil

I don't think the 360/PS3 are going to have the long shelf life post this Christmas that others are suggesting, but let's say they sell another 15 million between them. So that would put the combined total at 275 million consoles.

PS4/Xbone are going to need to sell around 260 million consoles combined to match this gen. With the continuing narrowed focus of publishers, I just cannot see that happening.

nope, and it's silly to think so. That audience for the Wii vanished.

fortunately MS and Sony don't really need to do 260 million each to stay viable, and no one sane is counting on that kind of a base.

Guevara

Unprompted today my coworker told me he bought a Wii U and Mario and he and his family are having a lot of fun with the system. So +1 to December NPD.

If Vita does go to bargain bin soon I should pick one up to play P4G and maybe whatever else comes out by that time.

As for the WiiU....yeah I bought it at launch but I think it's time to get ready for a 2016 new console release with a LOT of WiiU upports at launch like Twilight Princess. Can't afford to just drop it, but can't have it staying long either.

I find joy in PS4 beating Xbone in NA after what they tried to pull. Just because they reversed their stance won't mean they aren't thinking of implementing it in the future. Pretty damn sure some Xbox people said "people weren't ready to embrace it yet".

As for 3DWorld, damn son let me play online. It's cold outside and America is pretty big yo. Japan living conditions aren't the same as the others. As for Zelda...is this one of the largest FW for a handheld Zelda?

Boss Man

Last gen (approx):

Wii - 100 mil
360 - 80 mil
PS3 - 80 mil

VR has potential. Otherwise PS4 and XBone will share PS3/360 sales (PS4 will get more of them probably) while that big Wii market doesn't see much happening. Some of the Wii share will spill over to whatever is most popular, but not much of it I don't think.

Edit:
Oh yeah, they most likely won't have such a long life span again either.

Top Bottom