• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

Boss Man

I'm recalling now all those comments about how the other consoles have an installed base of zero and yet publishers are banking on them.

This is why.
Yeah, that bugged me too. Launch titles tend to not perform like you'd expect by just pretending it's a system with no owners. Another big factor (other than people just being more likely to buy games when they're buying a new system) is that there's not as much to choose from.

Did I see that ACIV PS4 actually outsold ACIV PS3?

I don’t follow sales threads, but I just saw that this crashed gaf so I got curious. Doesn't selling 100k a week basically mean that X1 is selling slower since PS4 stock sold out instantly and the X1 took weeks? I honestly thought that they both were sold out instantly but the PR makes it seem like the X1 took weeks to sell out of the initial shipment..

No. The X1 likely sold the brunt of its units in the first day or two. They just ran an average against the actual days it was on sale during the month. What the average can tell you is that the PS4 sold really well right away but didn't have the stock for the remainder of the time it had on the market in the month.

The take away is that people are buying both consoles very quickly and the whole race is who can supply more machines to retailers over the holidays. No significant data is going to appear until February and that is pretty early to see a trend.

hoos30

That is facts. The Wii U's first 6 weeks were stronger than almost any system to that point. You can go look up the news stories stating such. The problem was not the launch. The problem was sustained sales.

The point being that almost every launch in recent history has gone well. We have to go back to something like the Jaguar to find a truly bad launch. What matters are long term numbers.

The problem with the Wii U' launch is that a huge number of those consoles were returned to the store (by scalpers) the next month. Didn't the UK have a negative Wii U sales week at one point??

If Watch Dogs still ends up releasing for Wii U it seems like it's going to literally be the last game from a major 3rd party publisher on that console. I can't see anyone even considering to make/start development for any ports or games for the system in the future, it's that bad.

legend166

nope, and it's silly to think so. That audience for the Wii vanished.

fortunately MS and Sony don't really need to do 260 million each to stay viable, and no one sane is counting on that kind of a base.

They both lost money overall selling 80 million consoles.

Granted, they looked to have changed their cost models this time around, but I don't think it's a given they'll make money again.

UNCMark

Banned
So the difference in CoD sales between Xbox One and PS4 is more copies than were sold total on the Wii U, which has an install base bigger than both new consoles combined. Say goodbye to CoD, Nintendo fans.

Reading through this thread has been entertaining. The hyperbole for the Wij U has been interesting. Not good numbers by a long shot but changing the system's sales curve takes time.

The 3DS is the real disappointment.

Yes the curve from awful disaster level sales to just incredibly bad level sales is indeed good news for Wii U.

Busaiku

Is there a ballpark number for CoD we can go off of?

All I have is...3DW did 215K and didn't make top 10 so CoD is a lot higher than that (lol).

215k includes digital, we don't know the exact breakdown.
But The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds did ~249k and didn't make it.

Bebpo

Banned
Why the fuck is NFS still full price on PS4? It's even discounted on Xbone. COME THE FUCK ON EA. I WANT TO BUY IT

They're doing you a favor. Game is half-assed and rushed just like Most Wanted. Burnout P and Hot Pursuit are the only Criterion quality racers last gen/current Gen.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think Activision should have done a quickie Vita port. It did OK numbers last year. Give it to a crappy outsourcing studio like nhilistic and let them do it.

LOL I said Insomniac but it really was a freudian slip. Meant Nihilistic.

Well, the Vita is officially dead after those absolutely abysmal numbers. That is so sad. Incredible machine. Incredibly ignored. Fuck. :(

Shitty week has been shitty, confirmed.

Also, the complete domination by Battlefield and Call of Duty is sad as hell too. Downright makes me angry. Stuff is getting old and yet people just lap it up.

jcracken

Banned
I'm dead. Thanks. Beacuse the Reaction video from the beginning of the thread didn't kill me enough.

Also: COD won't leave "last" gen for 2-3 more years. Didn't the PS2 get every COD up until MW2?

COD1 never came to consoles, some other game by other developer came out under that name, COD2 only was on 360 and PC, Treyarch made a completely different game for PS2 and OG Xbox. COD3 was on 360, PS2, PS3, OG Xbox, and Wii. COD4 was on 360, PS3, PC and later ported to Wii.

Square2015

It's a stretch but at least we may have something.
Did we ever find out if CoD performed better on PS4 compared to Xbone?
That might help us out too.

LOCK

there is literally nothing that can change that "sales curve."

It's being outsold by the Gamecube, the saturn, the turbografx-16, the sega master system, and even trailing the vita worldwide.

do you have a brilliant plan that could have made all of those systems viable? because they're in better shape than the WiiU right now.
Well games of course.

Mikey Jr.

Ghosts for WiiU = 0.33%

Did Acti even make enough money off the thing to pay the programmer to make the fucking thing?

That is fucking abysmal. Why do they even bother at this point?

jblank83

The problem with the Wii U' launch is that a huge number of those consoles were returned to the store (by scalpers) the next month. Didn't the UK have a negative Wii U sales week at one point??

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/187605/A_theory_behind_Januarys_weak_Wii_U_sales.php

Not that many. This story estimates approx 40k. And the first 6 weeks were approx 900k:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/11/how-successful-was-the-wii-u-launch

These are NA numbers.

LocalE

While we're sending out price-drop memos, send one to Kaz about the Vita. 49.99 and include an 8 gig card.

Yeah, if it was 24.99 with a memory card, I might pick one up.

It's the software numbers that have to be super grim for Nintendo. Like if their best selling franchise is doing piss poor then what does that imply for everything else?

3D Mario games have never been their best-selling series.

Titafall is not COD. Titanfall is a new franchise that will be heavily marketed towards the XB1 crowd.

Not sure what you're saying here?
If there's any game that MS would have wanted heavily marketed for their new console, it would have been COD, precisely because it's an established franchise.

Metallix87

I think Activision should have done a quickie Vita port. It did OK numbers last year. Give it to a crappy outsourcing studio like Insomniac and let them do it.

Y'know, if five years ago you told me that Insomniac was nothing more than a crappy outsourcing studio, I'd have never believed you, but after Fuse...

Boss Man

So the difference in CoD sales between Xbox One and PS4 is more copies than were sold total on the Wii U, which has an install base bigger than both new consoles combined. Say goodbye to CoD, Nintendo fans.
Kind of coming full circle here, but I really don't think more powerful hardware and having the PS4/XB1 kind of third party support is what Wii U is missing. It's fundamentally a machine that people buy under different circumstances. It needs better messaging and a new name (people to know that it exists), a cheaper game pad (and price), and for Nintendo to start releasing more than 5 games (the same 5, at that) a generation.

K is shadow fall.

Knack didn't break 100k (at retail...).

Ps4 was about 200k over xb1. Barely moved 100k the rest of the month after launch. Sacrificing huge NA lead for huge WW lead. Xb1 will win December in NA.

232k for wii u. It needs to find a cheap niche... I think hd remakes is the way to go - cheap to make, don't need large install base to turn profit.

Nothing is dead yet. Hyperbole explosion. This is neogaf forum dot gif file extension.

coldfoot

Banned
For each copy of COD:Ghosts sold on the WiiU:

19 copies were sold on XB1
22 copies were sold on PS4
92 copies were sold on PS3
168 copies were sold on 360

Bebpo

Banned
Madden, FIFA and BF all did better on PS3 than PS4 though.

Although 2K14 did better on PS4 than PS3. So yeah your idea makes sense with the typical curve.

My theory on ACIV is two fold:

1) ACIII, unlike those other games, runs like shit and is near unplayable on the PS3, making people not want to buy ACIV on PS3 and wait for the smoother framerate PS4 version.

2) Enough people were burned on ACIII being godawful that day 1 sales suffered considerably as most people waited a few weeks to see what the word of mouth was on the title and if it was safe to buy. By that point, might as well get it on PS4 if you wanted to play it.

Ghosts for WiiU = 0.33%

Did Acti even make enough money off the thing to pay the programmer to make the fucking thing?

They're not going to. Wii U is doing very, very poorly in the USA right now. The more it flounders, the more third-parties start to abandon it. It's quite tragic, really. I say this with a heavy heart and a scowl on my face. :-(

Just goes to show that the whole "gamers are hungry for next gen graphics" talk was a little bit overblown.

Well, I don't see how it proves that, exactly. What we know is both systems sold out. Meaning, anybody else who wanted to buy one couldn't do it.

Now, don't get me wrong, I don't see the big deal about graphical increases, and the market might indeed be apathetic, but I wouldn't use numbers here as proof of anything.

hoos30

Sony is better off just making a Vita that has no hardware other than what's needed to stream PS4 games for remote play, sell it for $100 and they should make a good profit off it. Certainly a better business proposition than the Vita is now.

At this point I think GAF cares more about the Vita than Sony does.

Damaniel

Banned
Ghosts for WiiU = 0.33%

And this is why third parties aren't releasing for Wii U. Activision sold over 20 PS4 copies for every Wii U copy, and the Wii U had a huge head start. That's just pathetic.

World at War was the last I believe.

I probably should have said this instead. I don't know a lot about CoD (The series isn't interesting to me). I do remember World at War being on the PS2, but couldn't remember anything really prior to that. GAF delivers!

Anyway, yeah, I'd say the next two CoD's will get PS3/360 ports, but they'll be more Vicarious Visions and less Treyarch I bet...

bananas

Banned
COD: Ghosts sold less than Black Ops II did, but we know BO2 sold 7.5 million last november, so we'll using that as a ceiling.

7,500,000 x .0033 = 24,750

Therefore, the Wii U version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is <24,750 units sold.

Top Bottom