• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

Chobel

K is shadow fall.

Knack didn't break 100k (at retail...). Is selling better than internal expectations.

Ps4 was about 200k over xb1. Barely moved 100k the rest of the month after launch. Sacrificing huge NA lead for huge WW lead. Xb1 will win December in NA.

Vita over 2 mil in US and Sony has absolutely no plans on abandoning it. The numbers are fucking awful though. Expect a price drop with the new model before spring. Vita tv will make it here as well, possibly through online vendors only. Working all that out.

232k for wii u. It needs to find a cheap niche... I think hd remakes is the way to go - cheap to make, don't need large install base to turn profit.

Nothing is dead yet. Hyperbole explosion. This is neogaf forum do gif file extension.

Thank you, Now I don't have to wait for cream. PS4 = 1.1 mil

UIFV5bA.jpg

Might work.

Even though they would be a long, long way from home, I think they would be hot blooded enough to see the situation is urgent and play some head games on old school fans to convince them that playing Mario still feels like the first time. Of course say what you will, the average old school fan is just a dirty white boy whose heart turns to stone when they think of Nintendo these days. Nintendo needs to take those cold as ice fans and send them to the soul doctor till they say "I wanna know what love is and I don't want to live without you.

Double Vision

Prompto

Banned
K is shadow fall.

Knack didn't break 100k (at retail...). Is selling better than internal expectations.

Ps4 was about 200k over xb1. Barely moved 100k the rest of the month after launch. Sacrificing huge NA lead for huge WW lead. Xb1 will win December in NA.

Vita over 2 mil in US and Sony has absolutely no plans on abandoning it. The numbers are fucking awful though. Expect a price drop with the new model before spring. Vita tv will make it here as well, possibly through online vendors only. Working all that out.

232k for wii u. It needs to find a cheap niche... I think hd remakes is the way to go - cheap to make, don't need large install base to turn profit.

Nothing is dead yet. Hyperbole explosion. This is neogaf forum do gif file extension.
interesting. Thanks for the info.

They both lost money overall selling 80 million consoles.

Granted, they looked to have changed their cost models this time around, but I don't think it's a given they'll make money again.

it's a given.

The 360 is profitable for microsoft. they didn't lose money on it. Far from it, in fact. It's not that profitable next to where microsoft's ACTUAL money is coming from (windows, office, enterprise) but this isn't a bad thing for them.

The Ps3 was hilariously expensive to manufacture at launch. it had something like an $800 cost to build, and Sony was eating at least $200 per unit for the first year or so, and kept losing money until launching the slim. It would have taken ridiculous, unheard of software and hardware to even break even on it- but sony didn't intend to. The PS3 was meant to be a trojan horse for Cell and Blu-ray, and unfortunately for sony neither tech took off. without those ancillary revenue streams (i.e. Blu-Ray bringing in DVD era royalties) the PS3 was never going to be a profitable venture.

This time around the Xbone is profitable out of the gate, and the PS3 is very close to that. 80 million consoles for both is well within "profitable" territory.

Subitai

Man, this thread is going to fast.

Sony and MS need to make beefed up tablets for gaming. The economics of dedicated game hardware don't make economic sense anymore.

ascii42

Ghosts for WiiU = 0.33%

Did Acti even make enough money off the thing to pay the programmer to make the fucking thing?

That is fucking abysmal. Why do they even bother at this point?

Well, we'd need to know what Ghosts has sold total. Let's see, that percentage would be 3300 per every million copies sold. Actually yeah, that's terrible pretty much no matter what.

jet1911

Not sure what you're saying here?
If there's any game that MS would have wanted heavily marketed for their new console, it would have been COD, precisely because it's an established franchise.

I'm saying that basing the argument that TF will sell better on 360 based on the sales of Ghost means nothing. Not the same franchise, not the same marketing, not the same publisher. Just becaus eTF is a "duebro" shooter doesn't mean the COD crowd on the 360 will buy the game en masse.

nib95

Banned
Bingo! This will be give us a good estimate b/w Xbone & PS4:
If 909k = 6.4%
Then 7.4% = 1.05m

~ 1.05m = PS4!!!

(No wonder Sony's been quite about the NPD nos.)

Not really, because the PS4 had Shadow Fall to steal a lot of those shooter sales and not just BF4.

EDarkness

Well thats the end of COD on Wii U then.

It's a totally unsupported game on the Wii U. Honestly, they shouldn't have even bothered. The number of players online has dropped down to an abysmal 300-700. It was once in the 2k or more range, but so many people have bailed. This is what you get when you treat the game and the players like ass. Well deserved, in my opinion.

The market has emphatically said that consumers don't find Apple's hardware to be overpriced.

If you were an apple fan during these days:

The common refrain on the forums was "Mac OS is so much better than Windows but nobody knows it! We need Ads that just show the products!" But Macs weren't really better than windows, not at the things that consumers cared about and prioritized. The Think different Ads didn't move the sales needle much at all. Jobs later said that they were more to rally the troops than to sell existing product. Things changed with the iMac, a computer that was really good at getting on the internet. And it came out right as consumers became interested in getting online so it was desirable. This was before OSX btw.

Apple turned around because Jobs came in and focused the company on making a few products well. He simplified the complicated product line into 4 categories: a pro desktop, a consumer desktop, a pro laptop and a consumer laptop. Apple's employees knew what they were working towards and consumers knew what they were buying. From that foundation they went on to move into new markets in a perfectly timed fashion and built to where they are today.

Jobs didn't fix Apple with Ads. Better Ads were just a happy side effect of repairing the structure of the company.

Marketing is not limited to ads. PR is all about manipulating the perception of a product. Rallying the troops, you say? People see a good value out of a 1500$ meh desktop computer?

Let's not debate this in this thread, though.

nightever

K is shadow fall.

Actually >1 million is for NA not US only. So I guess it's around 200K after launch?

If Watch Dogs still ends up releasing for Wii U it seems like it's going to literally be the last game from a major 3rd party publisher on that console. I can't see anyone even considering to make/start development for any ports or games for the system in the future, it's that bad.
Stronger business case on PS4 and Xbone only weakens an already evidently inhospitable platform. I don't know about if this Project Cars game is a lock, but I don't see it releasing.

beast786

K is shadow fall.

Seems Xb1 is MADE for US only. They are buckling down and ignoring everyone else.

As I predicted. Xb1 will get US

Boss Man

Ghosts for WiiU = 0.33%

Did Acti even make enough money off the thing to pay the programmer to make the fucking thing?

That is fucking abysmal. Why do they even bother at this point?
Eh, they probably either lost or gained a very unsubstantial amount.

It probably wasn't very far from being one programmer lol. I imagine they expected it to bomb (maybe not that bad) but the risk was so low porting across from PS3/360 that they did it just in case.

Steel

Banned
K is shadow fall.

Nothing is dead yet. Hyperbole explosion. This is neogaf forum dot gif file extension.

So you're saying PS4 was at 1.1kish at the end of november? Huh. They really haven't been supplying much since launch, though I'm guessing microsoft is probably diverting a lot of supply to NA to get an advantage.

K is shadow fall.

Nothing is dead yet. Hyperbole explosion. This is neogaf forum dot gif file extension.

So EU is getting the bulk of the production? Seems....stupid. They have a real chance to get US market and they're dropping it?. EU will be always be there....

They're not going to. Wii U is doing very, very poorly in the USA right now. The more it flounders, the more third-parties start to abandon it. It's quite tragic, really. I say this with a heavy heart and a scowl on my face. :-(

image.php

K is shadow fall.

told you guys the CoD estimate route couldn't have been off by that much, ~50k off
fanboys to call famousmortimer an Xbox fanboy in 3..2..1...

K is shadow fall.

PS4 1.1m. Makes sense that they diverted so many units to the other territories. Only 100k in the last two weeks to NA isn't much.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
DC was $150 since mid 2000 (and even less during the holiday).
Then Sega pack it up and slashed the console to $99-> $75 and finally $50.

I wasn't talking about price, I was talking about sales. The Wii U sales haven't kept up with the Dreamcast sales when adjusting for GDP and population.

PBY

Banned
K is shadow fall.

Good data, thanks. Good PS4 news, but shit, I don't wanna be around the December NPD thread.

COD: Ghosts sold less than Black Ops II did, but we know BO2 sold 7.5 million last november, so we'll using that as a ceiling.

7,500,000 x .0033 = 24,750

Therefore, the Wii U version of Call of Duty: Ghosts is <24,750 units sold.

That's $1,485,000 in revenue.

Let's say that the average programmer at Treyarch gets around $100k as a salary. The sales would cover 15 programmers.

Not including testers and QA, producers, sound, and all the rest.

And that's with an absolute ceiling. It'll be less than that.

Ghosts will be the last CoD on the Wii U.

:(

gcubed

Actually >1 million is for NA not US only. So I guess it's around 200K after launch?

i guess they did miss black friday completely? They only have 2/3 shipments in Dec as well. Weird to focus on EU when they were buying you no matter what to give up what could be a huge lead in the US

CuznLarry

Banned
K is shadow fall.

Seriously doubt this, the shipment our store received this month between consoles is heavily lopsided in favor of PS4.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Someone should graph out the function of the attach rate from the ps3 vs the ps4 and see what the happy medium range would b

X over y and that kinda shit

creamsugar

AC
1 - 30.95%
4 - 69.05%

NSF
1 - 16.71%
4 - 48.42%
360 - 17.77%
3 - 17.11%

NFL
1 - 40.12%
4 - 59.88%

2K14
1 - 34.84%
4 - 65.16%

FIFA 14
1 - 35.43%
4 - 64.57%

NBA 14
1 - 43.40%
4 - 56.60%

I wonder what Iwata is thinking right now...

How to spruce up his resume.

They didn't even try with the Vita though.
Sure, that thing will be a "success" over there, but how the hell didn't they realize that losing MH was the sign of impending doom?
I might be wrong, but aren't four releases of MH on the psp the only thing that crossed 1 million units on that platform in Japan?

But it goes to show that losing the wrong third party game can be KILLER. Look at what happened to both Nintendo and Sega in Japan after FFVII. It was a massacre at that point. (Sega didn't lose it, mind, but you get the idea.) Sony for whatever reason lost MH to Capcom, and that just killed them. It was really only important in Japan, but the effects can be felt world wide. And yeah, SCEA are just awful with the thing. They at least tried last year. Jesus it's bad.

The only bright spot is that they aren't losing money on each system when it comes to manufacturing, and apparently software sales are pretty good, especially digitally. It'll be a handheld version of the Saturn, and break my heart just as badly.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
i guess they did miss black friday completely? They only have 2/3 shipments in Dec as well. Weird to focus on EU when they were buying you no matter what to give up what could be a huge lead in the US

Maybe it doesn't matter to them? Realistically Sony only has to keep it close to blow them out globally but it still seems odd because of what it means for future gens IMO.

Top Bottom