• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

The racing game buyers split their cash between NFS and Forza on Xbox One.

Given the week to two week difference of software on the market it isn't surprising the percentages look like that.

TyrantII

AC
1 - 30.95%
4 - 69.05%

NSF
1 - 16.71%
4 - 48.42%
360 - 17.77%
3 - 17.11%

NFL
1 - 40.12%
4 - 59.88%

2K14
1 - 34.84%
4 - 65.16%

FIFA 14
1 - 35.43%
4 - 64.57%

NBA 14
1 - 43.40%
4 - 56.60%

So, these number might show the shift of the casual *hardcore* gamer? Those not interested in brand pissing matches, are mixed don exclusives, and that love third party games?

N.Domixis

Banned
Its so funny seeing sony having a chance of dominating NA, all they have to do is direct most of their supply there. But they wont because unlike xbox, playstation has fans all around the world. :(

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Prior to Xbox One releasing, 2.5 months of NFL games were full of nothing but PS4 ads.
It's not just that there are ads for the console, more that Xbox One has advertisements specifically designed to target people who enjoy football.

Valkyria

Banned
I'm from EU, that's why I know EU is not going anywhere.

So am I. And I'm glad that for once we are not the guys who wait 18 months for a console. You can not create a global product and only focus your sales in NA, it sends a pretty ugly message to the rest of your markets, just like Ms is doing now.

GulAtiCa

So many people have stopped playing mainly because it isn't getting really supported. Treyarch seems to be trying to keep it alive, but without DLC and content updates, it's dead in the water. It doesn't help that none of your user data transfers to other platforms so the Wii U version is this solitary beast that really shouldn't have been made if they had no intention of supporting it. And the fact that Activision STILL hasn't supported the eShop doesn't bode well for the future. Best not to give them anymore money.

Given Ghosts sales for it, it's likely I won't have the chance to give them anymore money anyways :p

gcubed

All you guys bashing his math need to go back and refresh on intermediary math.

Assuming (I don't personally assume this) COD attach rate is same on both XB1 and PS4 then:

6.4 is to 909K as 7.4 is to X

In other words

6.4/909 = 7.4/X

Now solve for X

6.4X = 6726.6

X = 1051K

we don't need to.

Boy that is a really, really, really, really bad idea. Titan Fall will completely turn the tide in NA, Sony definitely needed sell every unit possible before then.

Maybe not. CoD does really, really well not just because of the gameplay but also because of the aesthetic. It's very appealing to that dudebro demographic. I remember seeing some of them looking at Halo 3 a while back and the conversation included this gem: "I don't want to shoot stupid aliens; I want to shoot people."

Titanfall's heavy sci-fi vibe could be a turn-off for those dudebro types. I'm waiting eagerly to see how it does.

Incidentally, it's heavy sci-fi vibe is why I'm so much more excited for it than the next CoD or Battlefield. :p

So 2DS at 99$ bundles stil could not outsell The PS4 or the Xbone. The 3DS family sold less than November 2011. So much for doing great.

Great numbers for the PS4 and Xbone. No exclusive of either consoles is not surprising. Mario and Zelda bomba.

Did you really expect 2DS to outsell next gen consoles at launch?

The 2DS, which was basically made as a gateway drug for young kids to get into Pokemon? Come on, man.

KoopaTheCasual

Unless One and PS4 can hit at least 50-60 million units in America we're going to see a significant contraction of the dedicated home console market.

If neither hit at least 50 million units in America alone we're going to see a massive contraction.

That's only because of the Wii phenomenon. Even if you ignore the Wii completely, the console market is expanding slowly and steadily. They just have to outperform their previous consoles and it would still seem like an increase. Let me show you something interesting:

I said "at this point in it's lifespan". not total. At this point in the 6th generation,

The PS2 was at or around 100 million consoles
The Xbox was dead at 24 million consoles.
The Gamecube was dead at 21 million consoles.

At this point in the 7th,

The PS3 is at 80 million and selling strongly.
The Xbox 360 is at 80 million and selling strongly.
The Wii is dead at (about) 100 million units.

If you exclude the wii entirely, the PS360 is STILL ahead. Exclude nintendo's platforms as a whole (assuming nintendo is a separate audience) and PS360 is WAY ahead of PS2 +Xbox. it's not even close, and the PS360 is selling at a significantly higher price point.

On top of that, we've had original IP selling VERY strongly (TLOU) and 6th generation customers are buying record breaking amounts of software (GTAV) for existing platforms. The only way the 7th doesn't surpass the 6th in TOTAL hardware is if MS and Sony simply pull those units from shelves prematurely.

The original poster's assertion that the console market shrank over last gen is simply false, and he was using the full lifespan of the PS2 (which was over 12 years) to try and make his point.

UNCMark

Banned
It's not just that there are ads for the console, more that Xbox One has advertisements specifically designed to target people who enjoy football.

Yep, I'm their target audience with those ads, and all those ads do is make me laugh. Maybe someday when I can afford to build a living room on my roof, the ads will resonate more with me.

Do we have Sony numbers? I dont see concrete PS4 numbers in OP. Is Sony the one to release them?

My educated guestimation is the next concrete numbers you get out of Sony will be after they sell 500k in Asia in a day or two and it will be worldwide. They likely aren't going to give out the US November numbers. It's better pr to just say they won. Major Nelson isn't the only one doing spinning right now.

bananas

Banned
Maybe not. CoD does really, really well not just because of the gameplay but also because of the aesthetic. It's very appealing to that dudebro demographic. I remember seeing some of them looking at Halo 3 a while back and the conversation included this gem: "I don't want to shoot stupid aliens; I want to shoot people."

Titanfall's heavy sci-fi vibe could be a turn-off for those dudebro types. I'm waiting eagerly to see how it does.

Incidentally, it's heavy sci-fi vibe is why I'm so much more excited for it than the next CoD or Battlefield. :p

But you're still fighting humans in Titanfall.

You're just also fighting giant mechs at the same time.

So am I. And I'm glad that for once we are not the guys who wait 18 months for a console. You can not create a global product and only focus your sales in NA, it sends a pretty ugly message to the rest of your markets, just like Ms is doing now.

Well, from a consumer point of view I agree. But I'm trying to think more like a Sony executive here. I understand their strategy but I think it could be a mistake in the long run.

zeopower6

The 2DS, which was basically made as a gateway drug for young kids to get into Pokemon? Come on, man.

99 dollars man....

And soccer. It was all I saw on one channel... even the players were in XBOX ONE uniforms.

I would say not to count chickens with Titanfall, no one knows the impact it will have.
Sony should get units to wherever they deem it necessary, they have the lead anyway.

So how much did Killzone sell? I wanna see if making next-gen exclusive games can be profitable.

Killzone is first party, so Sony makes way more off of it than a third party would with an exclusive.

that being said, it was the fourth highest selling title for the PS4, which is better than I expected, and would likely be profitable even if it was an exclusive.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
So is Sony banking on the PS4 demand staying hot enough in NA to where consumers won't pick up an XB1 instead?

I dunno. I guess that'll probably be fine? Hard to say.

They also had a week less of sales, NBA was the one released at the same time and its closer relative to the install bases.

I doubt there was much follow-on sales for either console. Most probably bought their set of games at launch and will be set for at least several weeks.

UNCMark

Banned

I expected it to crush the 360. It didn't. Nintendo's got issues in both their handheld and console businesses.

gcubed

So is Sony banking on the PS4 demand staying hot enough in NA to where consumers won't pick up an XB1 instead?

I dunno. I guess that'll probably be fine? Hard to say.

do people actually switch just due to availability? and switch to a more expensive console at that?

They money hatted EA for exclusive features that we're supposed to care about. This is their meat and potatoes and they only manage 35%-40%. It's a poor home performance imo. No dig to them overall. But sports was a big part of their message and it has not resonated with the majority of customers.

That noodle of yours, please use it. How can we assume something is not resonating if it is selling everything it is shipping?

I don't mean to be painted as a Microsoft defender or anything, but the lack of perspective here is maddening. Sony and Microsoft have sold everything shipped to US stores. That's not an indication how either is going to do in the future, mind you, but it's hard to criticize a company for selling out.

bananas

Banned
Maybe I didn't elaborate enough? I'm not saying it's human enemies that does it; it's the "realistic" military settings. It's easier for people to relate to.

Then ARMA III should be the best selling game.

People play COD first and foremost because it's fun to play.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
do people actually switch just due to availability? and switch to a more expensive console at that?

I don't think they do. I think families trying to finish their shopping list might.

Am I crazy or did Wii U once have a worse month due to all the returns from the previous month? Did I just imagine that?

My educated guestimation is the next concrete numbers you get out of Sony will be after they sell 500k in Asia in a day or two and it will be worldwide. They likely aren't going to give out the US November numbers. It's better pr to just say they won. Major Nelson isn't the only one doing spinning right now.

Any clue as to how many systems they're allotting to NA this month?

Square2015

All you guys bashing his math need to go back and refresh on intermediary math.

Assuming (I don't personally assume this) COD attach rate is same on both XB1 and PS4 then:

6.4 is to 909K as 7.4 is to X

In other words

6.4/909 = 7.4/X

Now solve for X

6.4X = 6726.6

X = 1051K
Thank you Codeblew,
Given the additional shooters on PS4 (as someone mentioned earlier, sorry don't remember who) the CoD ratio is probably lower than Xbone therefore the ~1.05m would be a minimum. The final figure may be between 1.05 - 1.15m

Creamsugar can you clarify using the ???<###<??? code thingy?

KoopaTheCasual

Boy that is a really, really, really, really bad idea. Titan Fall will completely turn the tide in NA, Sony definitely needed sell every unit possible before then.

lol. It's like people expect this game to push more consoles than Halo. The delusion is getting ridiculous.

That's only because of the Wii phenomenon. Even if you ignore the Wii completely, the console market is expanding slowly and steadily. They just have to outperform their previous consoles and it would still seem like an increase. Let me show you something interesting:

haha, always nice to be quoted. I saw that big block of green but did NOT remember posting that. I was like "WTF" for a minute.

ethomaz

Banned
But 1.1m is a amazing number for US... Sony was way behind last gen.

Top Bottom