• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

Sony giving up the lead in the US to launch in Asia (a place where the XB1 has 0.01% chance of beating them and the Wii is struggling big time) is a bone head move of epic proportions. Something only Sony would do.

I read this, but then I imagine this giant Risk board where Sony owns most of the land surrounding MS, then moves in for the kill.

Lexxism

For something like Zelda, I think so.

The Legend of Zelda (Portable titles):

[GBA] The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Four Swords (Nintendo) {December 2, 2002} - 542,000
[GBA] The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (Nintendo) {January 10, 2005} - 217,000
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo) {October 1, 2007} - 224,000
[NDS] The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks (Nintendo) {December 7, 2009} - Charted at 11th (10th best selling game of that month sold 657,000).
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo) {June 19, 2011} - 283,000
[3DS] The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Nintendo) {November 22, 2013} - 405,000 including bundles and digital sales

It's not actually.

Loudninja

If the initial demand is that high, it makes sense.

Let's not forget Asians like me are getting screwed by Sony due to their high prices over here. Sony is no doubt making a decent hardware profit from us.comoatd
People acting like Sony should just ignore these areas for whatever reasons.

Sony giving up the lead in the US to launch in Asia (a place where the XB1 has 0.01% chance of beating them and the Wii is struggling big time) is a bone head move of epic proportions. Something only Sony would do.

not necessarily.

The US market is extremely competitive, and some franchises just do better on microsoft's platforms.

Think of this from a software angle. Sony launches all 500K consoles in US instead of asia. Those may or may not grab a proportional amount of third party software vs. the xbone. Some franchises seem to sell more strongly on 360.

Sony launches those in asia, they're the only game in town. every single next gen game that gets sold is going to be a PS4 variant, and they'll be rolling in royalties.

NA should be more important, but abandoning EU and Asia to focus on the US entirely doesn't really make sense.

SeanR1221

Interesting titanfall facts.

The 360 build is shaping up very nicely.

The xb1 build is looking like it's sticking with 720p.

The PC build will shit on the xb1 build.

Social metrics (twitter mentions, youtube views, etc) as dumb as they are usually are accurate predictors. Tf is trending behind infamous.

There's also some talk that titanfall 1 is going to feel more like the outline of a game moreso than a full title. It's laying the groundwork.

I'm excited as fuck to play titanfall. I will be there day one. But if you think it's going to do more than give the xb1 more than a couple hundred K bump over a couple months you're fooling yourself.

I used to think it would be the next big thing. Now I'm not so sure.

Especially after seeing that ghosts split.

Titanfalls ships in March, right? I can't imagine the XB1 installbase jumping that much in a couple months.

maltrain

Question is, considering abismal difference in a game like COD: Ghosts between 360 and Xbox One sales... could be positive for Microsoft launch the game on both? Should have gone for Xbox One exclusively?

And considering sales of hardware and software on PS4... do you think Electronic Arts is happy with the agreement with Microsoft? I really doubt it...

rdrr gnr

Social metrics (twitter mentions, youtube views, etc) as dumb as they are usually are accurate predictors. Tf is trending behind infamous.
Unless something goes horribly wrong for MS or unbelievably right for Sony, TF > inFAMOUS sales.

There's also some talk that titanfall 1 is going to feel more like the outline of a game moreso than a full title. It's laying the groundwork.
This is inherent to new IPs. Especially ones positioned as franchises.

I'm excited as fuck to play titanfall. I will be there day one. But if you think it's going to do more than give the xb1 more than a couple hundred K bump over a couple months you're fooling yourself.
A couple hundred K would have made the difference this month.

We're missing PS4 NPD numbers.

Given the 2 million Vita, famousmortimer is probably mixing shipment with sales to consumes or Sony's internal estimates; North America? I have no idea what he's talking about, to be honest. (But thanks for the info.)

wait
what if PS4 didn't even break 1.1 million in NPD

Nice, Knack barely made 100k but it made it

you're reading it wrong, that's less than 100k

Exclusive: (<= the number above)

KSF

DR3
3D

FM5
SOR

KNACK

SOCHI

FIGHTER

I knew killzone would be the best selling exclusive. Hats off to me and also to Guerrilla who actually had a much harder job than internet forum predicting. I think those numbers also put it right near kz2.

Why do people completely ignore the Wii when it comes to this? I hope it's not people simply letting their own bias talk.
Because in hindsight it did have the appearance of a "fad".

But I'd never discount it because that fad led to the fastest growth the dedicated home console market has ever seen. It may not have turned those buyers into dedicated home console buyers, but it helped (along with both PS3/360 relevancy) to see the largest jump in the dedicated home console market since the introduction of Sony into the market.

stonesak

Okay, if you really insist
But whatever small lead Sony gives to Microsoft will multiply over time. A 100-200k lead do Microsoft in Christmas will turn into millions through word of mouth over time.

Sony deserves to lose America if they aren't serious about taking it. I can't see the general public waiting to get a PS4, especially not the parents looking for Christmas gifts.

What? So the 200,000 lead Sony has this month will translate to how many sales?

KoopaTheCasual

Ignoring Wii completely is asinine.

As it contributed to the growth of the USA home console market. Significantly. Without it you get marginal growth at best, instead of the insane growth of the prior generation. Without both selling in the area of 60 million units USA alone you're looking at market contraction. If both follow the PS3 and 360 market contraction on the order of 40 million units.

....Which is much more reasonable than the 100 million contraction, if you're just gonna add consoles up. If you ignore the Wii the contraction (as well as the expansion), it don't look as absurd, unless you think the Wii permanently contributed to a great deal of dedicated gamers out of it's 100 million install base? I don't know what you're arguing. I'm simply arguing that any form of 'contraction' won't really be indicative of long term trends. No need to call names, guy.

Takao

Banned
So Mario & Sonic at the 2014 Olympics has sold about 30k combined in North America and Japan. Given how accepting Europe has been to Wii U I can't imagine how poorly it faired over there. SEGA must be crying right now.

But whatever small lead Sony gives to Microsoft will multiply over time. A 100-200k lead do Microsoft in Christmas will turn into millions through word of mouth over time.

Sony deserves to lose America if they aren't serious about taking it. I can't see the general public waiting to get a PS4, especially not the parents looking for Christmas gifts.

You are freaking out man. Deserves to lose America because they aren't ignoring the rest of the world?

Sony is fine. Sony will be fine. MS isn't running off with anything. Sony just had the best NA launch ever and you are declaring them deserving to lose America. Holy shit!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Interesting titanfall facts.

The 360 build is shaping up very nicely.

The xb1 build is looking like it's sticking with 720p.

The PC build will shit on the xb1 build.

That's the plan. And they are changing from boat to air to ship them here. There's a chance that the ps4 can catch up by the end of the month but right now ms has the US stuffed and Sony does not.

Interesting stuff, thanks mort for all the info!

Mifune

Mehmber
KZ the best selling exclusive? Interesting.

Both Ryse and Forza did pretty well if we're considering KZ to be "high" but 270 doesn't seem like a lot to me.

I would be very worried if I were Sony right now. Those first-party sales are a terrible, terrible sign. Multi-platform sales don't create loyal customers.

edit: same for MS, really. The problem isn't one vs. the other, it's that neither has really developed around a "sticky" audience.

Steel

Banned
Exclusive: (<= the number above)

KSF

DR3
3D

FM5
SOR

KNACK

SOCHI

FIGHTER

What's with that hanging 90k?

Whatever.

Killzone was the best selling exclusive? Kinda sad that the most bought games on these consoles seems to be crossgen third party.

Also, fighter at 4k? At least that 1/10 got the word out so not many people suffered.

Holy shit at PS4 percentages. Are people buying the Xbox just as a media center?

MS had Forza, Dead Rising and Ryse all over 100k, not even considering Killer Instinct. The only Sony exclusive over 100k was Killzone.

Just goes to show you, exclusives don't matter nearly as much as quality multiplats for platform health. Though the One will probably sell better in December based on the stock situation we've seen.

Edit: I think that's the best launch for a Killzone game in NA, or pretty close. GG, GG.

That's the plan. And they are changing from boat to air to ship them here. There's a chance that the ps4 can catch up by the end of the month but right now ms has the US stuffed and Sony does not.

Zomgbbq was right then. Expect big shortages in January (well, bigger than present) as they wind down air support.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
What were the Killzone 3 sales for its first month? I remember that game bombing pretty hard. Can't imagine it was that much more than what SF did.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Why would you ever want that?

for the lolz and so i could reuse this from the uk thread
0316_vhk6z.gif

Top Bottom