• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

marrec

Banned
So Mario & Sonic at the 2014 Olympics has sold about 30k combined in North America and Japan. Given how accepting Europe has been to Wii U I can't imagine how poorly it faired over there. SEGA must be crying right now.

Unprecedented relationship.

Damaniel

Banned
How do you read it properly then?

If a game is written above another game, it sold more.
If a game is written above a number, it sold more than that number. If it's written below the number, it sold less.

So Forza sold less than 200K, but more than Ryse. Both games sold more than 185k (each) though.

185k < Ryse < Forza < 200K

EDIT: I assume that '3D' is Super Mario 3D World, correct?

zeopower6

for the lolz and so i could reuse this from the uk thread
0316_vhk6z.gif

Basically, that. lol.

SeanR1221

But whatever small lead Sony gives to Microsoft will multiply over time. A 100-200k lead do Microsoft in Christmas will turn into millions through word of mouth over time.

Sony deserves to lose America if they aren't serious about taking it. I can't see the general public waiting to get a PS4, especially not the parents looking for Christmas gifts.

Why does this line of thought always get posted. People will buy what they want. "Casual gamers" aren't brain dead slobs who think well that ps4 I really want isn't available so I'll just get the other system!

KZ the best selling exclusive? Interesting.

Both Ryse and Forza did pretty well if we're considering KZ to be "high" but 270 doesn't seem like a lot to me.

Assuming 1.1m sold, that puts KZ's attach rate at....just shy of 20%.

Seems like Xbone owners are buying more of that consoles exclusives (then again, Forza and DR are pretty big heavy hitters)

Chobel

Interesting titanfall facts.

The 360 build is shaping up very nicely.

The xb1 build is looking like it's sticking with 720p.

The PC build will shit on the xb1 build.

Social metrics (twitter mentions, youtube views, etc) as dumb as they are usually are accurate predictors. Tf is trending behind infamous.

There's also some talk that titanfall 1 is going to feel more like the outline of a game moreso than a full title. It's laying the groundwork.

I'm excited as fuck to play titanfall. I will be there day one. But if you think it's going to do more than give the xb1 more than a couple hundred K bump over a couple months you're fooling yourself.

360 doing good means less people going Xbox one for it.

FourMyle

So Mario & Sonic at the 2014 Olympics has sold about 30k combined in North America and Japan. Given how accepting Europe has been to Wii U I can't imagine how poorly it faired over there. SEGA must be crying right now.

Didn't Lost World also flop horribly?

rdrr gnr

Maybe the install base? inFamous isn't winning many "Most Anticipated Next Gen Game" awards.
Let me clarify: just the Xbone SKU for TF. Even if PS4 is selling better. March is still more or less launch window where supply constraints still have an influence.

Metallix87

Even I don't wish for that to happen.

Super Mario 3D world was one of the finest games I played in a while.

I even borrowed a WiiU to play the copy I bought

Exactly. People should want for it to succeed, because it's amazing. Saying you hoped a crap-to-mediocre game like Knack outsold it is just shameful.

Justin

If a game is written above another game, it sold more.
If a game is written above a number, it sold more than that number. If it's written below the number, it sold less.

So Forza sold less than 200K, but more than Ryse. Both games sold more than 185k (each) though.

185k < Ryse < Forza < 200K

Forza is at this time sitting at 485k according to the leader boards. I wouldnt be surprised if it is over 500k counting the strange people who never connect online.

Shipments.

Asia is getting 500k for their launch this week. They will sell out there. They would also sell out here. Sony clearly is going for the jugular in the rest of the world and it seems clear to me that MS cares about the US and UK and that's about it. Because they want to sell services and people will buy NFL in the US... they won't in Taiwan.

Why would Asia get 500K?

Sony really should have just waited until February for all of asia.

Those 500K units would have been much better in a competitive territory like the US, rather than one that is already going to be almost all Sony regardless of when they launch.

....Which is much more reasonable than the 100 million contraction, if you're just gonna add consoles up. If you ignore the Wii the contraction (as well as the expansion), it don't look as absurd, unless you think the Wii permanently contributed to a great deal of dedicated gamers out of it's 100 million install base? I don't know what you're arguing. I'm simply arguing that any form of 'contraction' won't really be indicative of long term trends.
Then this prior generation that lasted longer than the generation before it saw marginal if not nonexistent growth. That would be bad. I hope that some of those 40 million(since I've been talking exclusively USA) are still planning on buying or that Sony and MS make up some of that difference. Otherwise the stories being told by investors will be "Home console market in freefall."
No need to call names, guy.
Where did I call anyone a name?

noobasuar

Banned
So is guerrilla games going to get closed for only selling 270k copies? Isn't that pretty bad in an industry where these games need to sell a few million?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Killzone numbers seem kind of bad. Best selling exclusive but expected more given the number of PS4s sold.

KZ3 did about 280k in its first NPD month. I'd have to imagine they would think SF's sales were pretty good given the fact that it's Killzone which isn't exactly the biggest franchise.

allan-bh

We're missing PS4 NPD numbers.

Given the 2 million Vita, famousmortimer is probably mixing shipment with sales to consumes or Sony's internal estimates; North America? I have no idea what he's talking about, to be honest. (But thanks for the info.)

You right. Also 232k for Wii U is a little strange (but possible).

Damaniel

Banned
Forza is at this time sitting at 485k according to the leader boards. I wouldnt be surprised if it is over 500k counting the strange people who never connect online.

Well sure, but this list only counts copies sold in November (so the ones sold the first week the system was out), and only those in the US. We have almost two additional weeks of sales, and 12 other countries that are contributing to that total as well.

Steel

Banned
Why would Asia get 500K?

Sony really should have just waited until February for all of asia.

Those 500K units would have been much better in a competitive territory like the US, rather than one that is already going to be almost all Sony regardless of when they launch.

China's a new market for them. Important to get first foothold considering.

Briarios

Can't really use that as a lot of people have multiple profiles on their systems.

Griss

My take on the non-WiiU news:

XB1 did far better than I thought it would. Not because of the bad PR that only we know or care about, but because of the higher price. Moving that amount of consoles at 500 dollars and essentially selling out is very impressive.

Secondly, cancelling the launch of multiple countries to batten down the hatches in the US was a smart move. They're 200k behind Sony, but can catch them in December. If they hadn't cancelled those launches, maybe they never get near parity in their key market. That would be disastrous.

The 3rd party software splits aren't surprising, because as CreamSugar's posts show, XB1 had far more popular exclusives. ShadowFall was the only PS4 exclusive to sell on the level of Ryse, FM5 or DR3. Not surprising more PS4 owners turned to 3rd parties in the circumstances.

It's going to be a close race in the US, and considering the price difference that speaks volumes about MS's marketing abilities and the brand loyalty of 360 users. Considering what could have been, MS has to be a bit relieved.

As for the 3DS, what a disaster. I always thought the problem with the 3DS was the price of entry. But this thing was down to 99 dollars on black friday. Leading me to a new conclusion - it's the software price that's the problem. 45 dollars for a game is a hell of a lot more than 'free'.

The WiiU failing is a hell of an inconvenience for Nintendo. The 3DS potentially beginning to fail would be a portent of death. They need the 3DS to keep attracting young eyeballs, to keep their IPs relevant, to keep creating new Nintendo fans who'll pass the love of those games onto their kids in time etc etc. If the 3DS struggles, that won't happen.

They really are besieged on all sides at the moment.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So is guerrilla games going to get closed for only selling 270k copies? Isn't that pretty bad in an industry where these games need to sell a few million?

It sold 270k in the US in 2 weeks. Roughly 1 in 4 people who bought a PS4 in the US bought Killzone.

Codeblew

6.4% isn't the attach rate, it's XB1's percentage of total CoD sales.

Let's do the same math with the 360.

6.4 is to 909k as 55.45 is to X

6.4/909 = 55.45/X

6.4X=50404.05

X = 7875K 360s sold.

Nope.

If we had CoD's total November sales we could figure it out but I don't think we do.

LOL. Your math fails also. Where did I say 6.4 was the attach rate?

Read the 2nd line of my post where I said to assume the SAME attach rate. It is very simple math when you have a full ratio and a partial ratio to figure out the missing piece.

I am not saying I agree with the premise behind this (that the attach ratios are the SAME) but the math is correct.

we don't need to.

Yes, you really do.

Top Bottom