• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

Curufinwe

So is guerrilla games going to get closed for only selling 270k copies? Isn't that pretty bad in an industry where these games need to sell a few million?

Yup, and since that was the highest selling exclusive all the studios that made launch exclusives are getting shut.

The negative Nintendo hyperbole and rampant hate in this thread is hilarious. Never change, GAF. Whatever happens to the Wii U, Nintendo's going to be fine.

I do hope these numbers light a fire under some asses over there, though - they need to stop making dumb mistakes like the total shit show the Wii U Virtual Console rollout has been. They have the most incredible, storied brands and back catalog in all of gaming - they need to leverage the hell out of that, for fuck's sake.

Shame so many people are missing out on such an excellent console with great games. 2014 is going to be a fantastic year for Wii U owners with Smash, X, MK 8, DKC TF, and whatever they have in the works that's not been announced yet!

ascii42

Killzone numbers seem kind of bad. Best selling exclusive but expected more given the number of PS4s sold.

An earlier creamsugar leak had Killzone as the 4th best selling game on the PS4, below CoD, BF4, and AC4. No doubt the first two hurt Killzone's potential sales.

So is guerrilla games going to get closed for only selling 270k copies? Isn't that pretty bad in an industry where these games need to sell a few million?

US sales for 2 weeks only.

This excludes worldwide sales where Shadowfall is also bundled across many territories.

Also, future price drop and future bundles.

Guerilla will be fine.

And there's the final laugh. Thank you, CS. Was a fun thread. Vita and Wii U aside, it's good to see he industry is still doing well.

Well, software is still down quite a bit YOY...

...and yeah, gotta LOL at people who really believed remote play was a big deal for anyone besides devoted Sony fans or techheads.

Ignoring Wii completely is asinine.

Not really. The Wii as a platform seems to have an extremely short term effect on the market and it's influence is basically gone at this point.

As it contributed to the growth of the USA home console market. Significantly.

not really. Those gamers ran in and ran out before the generation was over, growing and contracting so fast that there simply wasn't time for anyone to plan a decent business strategy around them. Look at the strategy EA, Activision, Ubi, MS, and Sony are using for next gen. Kinect aside (which is being used for TV functions more than anything gaming related) the business strategy is almost identical to that during the PS2 era, and they're targeting the same gamers. The wii doesn't appear to be contributing a damn thing for anyone.

Without it you get marginal growth at best, instead of the insane growth of the prior generation.

Moderate, sustainable growth is actually preferable to massive unsustainable spikes for the industry. you can't plan for those. They're good for speculators looking to cash in quickly, and that's about it.

Without both selling in the area of 60 million units USA alone you're looking at market contraction. If both follow the PS3 and 360 market contraction on the order of 40 million units.

You're assuming the entire PS3+360+Wii audience was all one market. it wasn't. It was clearly two separate and distinct markets, one of which has moved on from gaming.

The core market (which has existed from the NES era going forward) continues to grow and expand. Exclaiming "the market is contracting!!" makes as much sense as looking at the tech or housing bubbles in the stock market and claiming the market MUST be weaker now since those investors are gone- no, the market is stronger now and that growth is actually the sustainable, realistic growth that platform holders and third parties desire, not the fickle audience that drops your business for the next big thing and ruins you, as nintendo found out the hard way.

These games don't need to sell "a few million" in the first month, especially not on platforms that only have about 1 million total users to begin with.

They'll sell over a longer period of time, but no one is expecting 5 or 6 million copies within 3 months here.

The negative Nintendo hyperbole and rampant hate in this thread is hilarious. Never change, GAF. Whatever happens to the Wii U, Nintendo's going to be fine.

I do hope these numbers light a fire under some asses over there, though - they need to stop making dumb mistakes like the total shit show the Wii U Virtual Console rollout has been. They have the most incredible, storied brands and back catalog in all of gaming - they need to leverage the hell out of that, for fuck's sake.

Shame so many people are missing out on such an excellent console with great games. 2014 is going to be a fantastic year for Wii U owners with Smash, X, MK 8, DKC TF, and whatever they have in the works that's not been announced yet!
Why should these numbers light any fires under them if they are going to be just fine and we are all doom and gloom haters?

Not just a river in Egypt.

nib95

Banned
Xbox One didn't have an exclusive shooter, so surprised to see that PS4 still held better percentages for multi platform shooters too.

Not really. The Wii as a platform seems to have an extremely short term effect on the market and it's influence is basically gone at this point.

not really. Those gamers ran in and ran out before the generation was over, growing and contracting so fast that there simply wasn't time for anyone to plan a decent business strategy around them. Look at the strategy EA, Activision, Ubi, MS, and Sony are using for next gen. Kinect aside (which is being used for TV functions more than anything gaming related) the business strategy is almost identical to that during the PS2 era, and they're targeting the same gamers. The wii doesn't appear to be contributing a damn thing for anyone.

Moderate, sustainable growth is actually preferable to massive unsustainable spikes for the industry. you can't plan for those. They're good for speculators looking to cash in quickly, and that's about it.

You're assuming the entire PS3+360+Wii audience was all one market. it wasn't. It was clearly two separate and distinct markets, one of which has moved on from gaming.

The core market (which has existed from the NES era going forward) continues to grow and expand. Exclaiming "the market is contracting!!" makes as much sense as looking at the tech or housing bubbles in the stock market and claiming the market MUST be weaker now since those investors are gone- no, the market is stronger now and that growth is actually the sustainable, realistic growth that platform holders and third parties desire, not the fickle audience that drops your business for the next big thing and ruins you, as nintendo found out the hard way.

your insistent use of WW figures when he repeatedly mentions USA only can stop, you know

Why would Asia get 500K?

Sony really should have just waited until February for all of asia.

Those 500K units would have been much better in a competitive territory like the US, rather than one that is already going to be almost all Sony regardless of when they launch.

The problem is that this shit is planned out months and months in advance. They knew they would sell 500k when they launched in Asia so they announced the date and allotted them that. What they didn't know was that demand was going to be this insane in the US. It's not like a week ago they just call up and say "turn those into us machines and reroute them and tell Asia to fuck off."

What they didn't want, the worst case scenario, was ps4s sitting on shelves. Asia was a sure thing. And extra 500k to the US wasn't.

Hindsight is 20/20,etc.

Chobel

I'm going to predict that TitanFall in 2014 will go

Xbone > = Xbox >>>>>>>>>> PC

Not gonna happen. X360 have bigger user base 70 mil vs 4-5 mil. X360 version will definitely sell more as long as it good enough, and famous said it's shaping quite well.

Shipments.

Asia is getting 500k for their launch this week. They will sell out there. They would also sell out here. Sony clearly is going for the jugular in the rest of the world and it seems clear to me that MS cares about the US and UK and that's about it. Because they want to sell services and people will buy NFL in the US... they won't in Taiwan.

WAT

x-Lundz-x

Killzone was probably funded by Sony, sales will be irrelevant for them "closing" and 270k is fantastic for launch. It will continue to sell as well as time passes.

Josman

I'm on the side that thinks Sony should have launched in fewer countries like MS did, they could have dominated MS's top regions, but what do I know, if they lose christmas because of this GAF is gonna be a bloodbath.

Vibranium

Banned
Well, the Wii U numbers were around where I thought, and Pachter's analysis was in the range I looked at despite being off as usual. Man I can't wait for Nintendo's shareholders meeting, it's going to be fun.

I'm really sad to see things like this happening, but they need to really agree a new strategy is needed. I want them to keep making consoles, they just need to realize the Wii U can only have 4-5 years max.

Great to see A Link Between Worlds doing well, and the 3DS holding water despite underwhelming with Pokemon during the holiday season.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Wow, Killzone did a lot better than I thought it would.

Many people (including myself) alredy predicted that KZ was going to be the best selling exclusive launch title months ago. Guess we were right. Also, I'm loving the meltdowns over Sony not trying to stuff the channel in US because they need units for WW. To all of you I say:

there_is_no_need_to_be_upset-4390.gif

PBY

Banned
I'm on the side that thinks Sony should have launched in fewer countries like MS did, they could have dominated MS's top regions, but what do I know, if they lose christmas because of this GAF is gonna be a bloodbath.

And it will mean... nothing lol

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Cream, what were the numbers and splits for Skylanders, Just Dance and Disney Infinity btw? Also, I'm curious at the ACIV split with all consoles (current and last gen). Thanks!

Top Bottom