• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

slapnuts

Exclusive: (<= the number above)

KSF

DR3
3D

FM5
SOR

KNACK

SOCHI

FIGHTER
Glad to see Killzone get good numbers. It's not as bad as some people in here seem to be yapping about. I know i played it..its a decent game and boy is it a beauty to behold!!

So many people in this thread before the numbers were posted for KZ kept yapping it bombed,yada,yada,yada...i knew it would get decent numbers and sure enough it did. Good...it was well deserved even for its average single player campaign which i still have not finished yet but getting close...still a fun game multiplayer none the less and like i said...Killzone SIZZLES in the visual department!!

If I remember correctly, the 360 managed to move about 1 million copies of Gears of War in 2006 on an install base of just over 3 million.
Now lets see what the XBone can do to Titanfall in March....

To be fair GoW was exclusive to the X360 and I'm not sure the PC port that came out a year later was known at the time it released on X360

Titanfall on the other hand is also releasing on an 80 million strong X360 install base and PC (hopefully at the same time)

It will be curious to see how many units it moves

Klocker

Ok, should any of us be worried at statistic of a 24% decline in software sales year over year? I mean the hardware sales are good and all but if people are not buying games then that is reason for concern.

lots of digital sales this generation. All but one of my games are digital and I'm sure I'm not alone

Tsundere

Banned
PS3 was rumored at 424k.

PS4 - 1138000
Xbone - 909132
360 - 647000
Wii U - 220000
PS3 - 424000

Total = 3338132 / 0.98 = 3406257

PS3 / Total = 12.4%
PS3 + PS4 = 1562000
Xbone + 360 = 1556132

PS3 + PS4 > Xbone + 360, <10k difference

Seems to line up with this.

Isn't he talking about attach rates though? Not the actual consoles sold.

So Killzone Shadow Fall is the highest selling next gen exclusive. That is some good news.

Wii U bombing is really sad and VITA had no hope, literally.

I know I'm probably sounding like a fanboy here and that I'm damage controlling, but let's wait until next year before we say that the Wii U is officially dead.

I feel like next November will be a hell of a lot better for Nintendo. With Smash and Mario Kart along with the right deal, it might be a hit. Have 2 models next year, a gamepad-less one for $200 and one with the gamepad for $250. Have all games have support for the Pro controller so the gamepad isn't necessary. But as of right now, no one wanted to pay for the Wii U on black Friday when there was virtually no deals along with the new consoles that completely overshadowed the U.

There really wasn't many black Friday deals for Wii U, just one for $250 that not many knew about and that was really it as far as big name stores went. You guys also have to factor in that the new consoles stole the Wii Us thunder which leaves the Wii U in the shadows for now. The hype will obviously be gone by next November which will give Nintendo the chance to shine. Next year is their last chance, if a price drop along with Mario Kart and Smash doesn't save it, then I'll say it's dead.

Also over 200k isn't that bad for Mario considering it's only first week sales and Mario will have legs. Mario 3D World will still sell well next year when people are looking for games to get besides Smash and Kart.

Looking at these numbers shows some surprising stuff. 3DS might not even reach the PSP in North America. I'm predicting a pretty significant drop-off for the system after this year.

It does seem somewhat telling that mobile/tablets are encroaching in all facets of handheld gaming, no systems are immune etc.

Raide

I know I'm probably sounding like a fanboy here and that I'm damage controlling, but let's wait until next year before we say that the Wii U is officially dead.

I feel like next November will be a hell of a lot better for Nintendo. With Smash and Mario Kart along with the right deal, it might be a hit. Have 2 models next year, a gamepad-less one for $200 and one with the gamepad for $250. Have all games have support for the Pro controller so the gamepad isn't necessary. But as of right now, no one wanted to pay for the Wii U on black Friday when there was virtually no deals along with the new consoles that completely overshadowed the U.

There really wasn't many black Friday deals for Wii U, just one for $250 that not many knew about and that was really it as far as big name stores went. You guys also have to factor in that the new consoles stole the Wii Us thunder which leaves the Wii U in the shadows for now. The hype will obviously be gone by next November which will give Nintendo the chance to shine. Next year is their last chance, if a price drop along with Mario Kart and Smash doesn't save it, then I'll say it's dead.

Also over 200k isn't that bad for Mario considering it's only first week sales and Mario will have legs. Mario 3D World will still sell well next year when people are looking for games to get besides Smash and Kart.

Mario can only have legs if it has an install base to sell to. The Wii U if probably going to be up against a 6+ million PS4 and Xbox One next November plus Sony and MS are not going to sit back and release nothing. Nov usually ends up being Halo time for MS.

Nintendo have to do something to bolter that install base. Price drop is a good start but then its just a cheaper way to play not many games.

Steel

Banned
Your vita prediction was pretty accurate. Pretty optimistic on the next gen consoles though

Yeah, but by the end of november Sony had announced they sold 2.1 million consoles WW and 700k were in Europe, so with that in mind I didn't think 1.4 mill PS4s was out of the question. Also thought consumers would only be willing to spend so much money on consoles in light of that, thus the low numbers everywhere else. Obviously I'm not a seer for these things.

rdrr gnr

D
This, Ascension, and Judgment all underperforming shows that people buying games might be smarter than they're given credit for. People know to stick to the real thing.
I want to believe this, but I'm not sure I do. Prequels are creatively bankrupt to their core and almost always have a lackluster story component (I'll leave that explanation for another thread). But the underlying iterative nature of games means there is always some improvement (you could argue GoW: A's combat was better than III's). I don't think it's consumer sensitivity as much as I think the games themselves were afterthoughts by each respective publisher. They made those games because they could not because they should. Each with their B-teams: Papy, PCF, and whoever the fuck replaced Rocksteady. I don't think I know a single person who thought to themselves "I need me one more of these" after finishing Arkham City -- at least not on this generation. But I'm glad each one of them sold significantly less. Preserve your fucking brand.

KSF, Knack, and Ryse are okay.
BF4, Ghosts, NBA 2K, FIFA, and Madden all have massive appeal.
AC4 is FANTASTIC.
DR3 and NFS are really good.
Forza is better than ever at its core but just has a bit of a nasty shell around it.

Plus, your standards lower when you are in the launch hype zone so you buy more shit than you normally would.
BF4 is goddamn beta. I haven't played Knack or Ryse but I'm guessing they are about average as the reviews indicate (I'm not buying the "but they're good" arguments I've seen floating around. Don't bitch about the inflated review score scale then.) KZ, IMO, is an abomination. That SP was truly horrendous and the MP is generic as fuck. AC4 is better than 3 but still not as good as 2. I'm whatever about everything else. I don't think the top 10 is a travesty at all. But once these new IPs start rolling out, I might change my mind.

madmackem

Congrats to sony, ms need to up there game I'm betting they thought they had us on lock. It's good for us all that they are going to be going at it in the USA as I worry about ms in the rest of the world and we don't want one just dominating everywhere. Nintendo I just don't know what to say. So many fuck ups with wii u is looking like despite good software people are going to pass on it.

DieH@rd

Banned
THE TIME OF MARIO HAS COME TO END

Dec. 12, 2013

President of Nintendo Co., Ltd. Satoru Iwata today announced that the Time of Mario has passed. Over 6 billion people looked at the stars in November and observed the shifting alignment of stars, planets, and galaxies that govern the spirits of video game mascots. In keeping with tradition, Iwata and the high priests dragged down the statue of Mario at headquarters, and ceremoniously garroted it with a hempen cord before burying it in an elaborate tomb.

"The time has passed. The stars have changed, and so has Nintendo," announced Mr. Iwata before a crowd drunk with ritual wine.

The company then erected statues of Luigi and Cranky Kong, and anointed them with oil and sacred herbs, declaring their time to be eternal.

lol

Fox Mulder

it's dead now. We're at its second holiday and it still won't sell shit. Why would it do better next holiday when the Xbox one and ps4 will only have more games making them more desirable?

smash bros and Mario kart aren't going to do much when Zelda and Mario didn't. Everytime it's the next game that will save the wiiu, it looks like it's not going to happen.

they need a steep price drop, but it's sad to think they'll have to stick with the wiiu for a few more years.

We'll see a Wii U re-design in 2014. After the success of DS Lite and 3DS XL, Nintendo would be stupid not to.

They've got a strong first party line-up next year but the Wii U as it is, clearly isn't working. They need to refresh it, make it more appealing and market the fucker to death. Last chance saloon.

UberTag

If by snooze button you mean they can continue to fall behind in their only real market then sure. And if they lose or even just barely keep up here in the US they are going to be creamed WW since it took a massive US lead to offset how far behind they were in the rest of the world despite everything going right for them at the beginning of last gen.
I'll reiterate this once here even though it's going to be a common occurrence for most NPD threads.

Microsoft does not CARE about "winning" globally.
They have already ceded victory to the PlayStation 4.
Worldwide sales mean NOTHING to them.
The only thing that matters to Microsoft is PROFITABILITY.
And flourishing in the United States... the only market they ideally care about "winning".

Although I'm sure they would settle for being more profitable than the Xbox 360 even if Sony keeps pace in North American market share... which is likely in the long-term even if they're presently losing the demand/mindshare battle. They're winning the supply battle and they're clearly outpacing the X360 so Microsoft is legitimately thrilled. And they'll continue to buy exclusives and overwhelm the lemming American consumer base with hype and marketing and exclusives that drowns out all else via their Western gaming media/PR team... something they're far superior than anyone else at doing (with the possible exception of Activision).

So yes, they'll likely win the United States over time even while the PS4 is a clearly superior gaming entertainment option. They'll inundate people with microtransaction-filled titles until they become the accepted norm. And so long as that level of profitability keeps the shareholders happy and shows forward progress from the previous gen, they will consider themselves successful. Even while Sony TROUNCES Microsoft on a global basis... which has nothing to do with NPD but will continue to be brought up in NPD as if "winning" means anything to corporate bean counters. It does not.

And now... because I want to earn some cred and drop some bombs with this reply, here are my initial prophetic reactions to the Wii U from way back when it was initially unveiled in June 2011:

"Will the weak 3DS launch even matter in six months?"

The 3DS will be fine once the games arrive. Just as it always has been with Nintendo portables.

Wii U has an identity crisis, however.
In the long-term it won't really matter because Wii U ports won't find much of an audience with Western audiences due to online limitations (perceived or actual).
It's the most uncharacteristic platform launch I've ever seen from Nintendo. Sure, the Wii had its doubters but Wii Sports was front and center, was tangible and while different you could see how it could win over people who hadn't been gaming for a while. In short, it tapped into a new audience.

With the Wii U we have no firm games... we have tech demos.

There's potential with asymmetrical gameplay... but it can only stream to a single controller.

Nintendo wants third parties to bring their big franchises to the system... but it has no plan for online support, community building, achievements, storage for DLC and other key things gamers take for granted.

Everyone says "never bet against Nintendo" and I agree with them when it comes to portables. But Nintendo's console mindshare steadily decreased until the Wii's launch for over a decade and it hasn't had concentrated third-party support with AAA titles aplenty since the days of the SNES.

I will buy a Wii U eventually because I love Nintendo's properties. I owned a GameCube and loved it. But that was largely a 3rd place system and if Nintendo can't find a way to bring in new audiences or to motivate their base of Wii owner casuals to upgrade, they're going to run into trouble.
Nintendo doesn't WANT hardcore gamers.
They want their definition of "hardcore gamers"... aka people who buy Dudebro mainstream shooters from third-parties.

Problem is those gamers won't be buying Wii Us.
They'll be getting their third-party Hi-Def fix on systems they already own... namely the Xbox 360 and PS3.
Systems with fully developed online ecosystems, achievements, timely (often exclusive) DLC and multiplayer communities where they play and where their friends play.
And when they want to buy a new system they'll buy the PS3/X360 successor systems that will come out 1-2 years after the Wii U hits stores.

The casual gamers won't be buying Wii Us, either.
The "new motion gimmick of the day" folks will continue to flock towards Kinect while the soccer moms will continue to buy dancing/fitness games on their Wiis.

We will never see a Monolithsoft developed title in North America again. Period. Even on the Wii U. We probably won't even see a Fire Emblem game on any of Nintendo's platforms. (I was wrong on this last point and I'm happy about that, at least.)

Nintendo is going to sit back and bet that we'll all buy Wii Us to play Zelda in Hi-Def on their controller with a screen that only one person can play on at a time. That's their gamble. They may be right. They may not.

Raide

Finally MS can use "Xbox Family" in their PR posts. :D

Anyway, good sales for both Sony and MS. Nintendo need to pull their socks up and do something.

Hermii

Too bad about the Wii U doing so poorly. It is a good console with great software and its the king of local multiplayer so its really undeserved in my opinion.

rdrr gnr

Really? Because i was wondering why everyone is underestimating the PC version of Titanfall. The underestimation makes sense then. No way EA is this dumb, but its EA lol.
But even if it were on Steam the 360 and One versions would outsell their PC counterpart. It would be a lot closer to One, however.

Griss

Why will people spring for MK8 or Smash when people didn't spring for Mario 3D World? People who owned the console didn't even get off their ass to buy the damn game. We've seen this story before with the Gamecube, and it's working out as many Gaffers predicted - once a nintendo console starts to founder, Mario and Smash and the other 3rd party heavies aren't enough to turn the ship around.

On top of that, here in Europe we have seen extreme and drastic price slashing, often times bringing the price to about 200 euros. It makes hardly a dent, as people just don't want the device itself.

Lastly, if there are 4 home consoles selling well in stores, and one that isn't, then retail will stop carrying Wii U and that will be the end of that. There is a serious chance this could happen if the falloff from Nov/Dec to Jan-Jun this year is of a similar percentage to last year. In this case, the WiiU would have no chance to recover next Xmas.

Updated cs Compilation:

• The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 11% digital, excluding bundles
  • PSV Walking Dead bundle - 29.6% of sales, ~21.5K
  • Gold Zelda 3DS, Blue 2DS and Red 2DS all above 100K
  • Mario Party: Island Tour < 60K
  • Angry Birds: Star Wars - 2.7K
  • 25K > Mario and Sonic at the Sochi Winter Olympic Games > 20K
  • Tearaway - ~14K
  • Pokemon LTD 2.45M including bundles
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts > 6M
Hardware not in OP:
  • PS4 - 1138K
  • PS3 - 425K
  • Wii - ~80K
  • 75K > PSV > 70K
PSV memory card LTDs:
  • 8GB - 360K
  • 16GB - 172K
  • 32GB - 167K
XB1 Software > 100K
  1. Call of Duty: Ghosts (~392)
  2. Battlefield 4
  3. Dead Rising 3 (<220K, 215K<)
  4. Forza Motorsport 5 (<= 200K)
  5. Ryse (>185K)
  6. Assassin's Creed IV
  7. Madden NFL 25
  8. NBA 2K14
The Fighter Within < 4K

PS4 Software > 100K
  1. Call of Duty: Ghosts (~451)
  2. Battlefield 4
  3. Assassin's Creed IV
  4. Killzone: Shadow Fall (<=270K)
  5. NBA 2K14
  6. Madden NFL 25
  7. Need for Speed
  8. FIFA 14
100K > Knack > 90K

Call of Duty: Ghosts platform split:
XBO - 6.42% (~392K)
PS4 - 7.39% (~451K)
360 - 55.45% (~3.38M)
PS3 - 30.42% (~1.86M)
Wii U - 0.33% (~20K)

ACIV, NFS, Madden, NBA 2K14, FIFA and NBA Live splits

Battlefield 4, next gen split:
XBO - 45.65%
PS4 - 54.35%

AC
1 - 30.95%
4 - 69.05%

NSF
1 - 16.71%
4 - 48.42%
360 - 17.77%
3 - 17.11%

NFL
1 - 40.12%
4 - 59.88%

2K14
1 - 34.84%
4 - 65.16%

FIFA 14
1 - 35.43%
4 - 64.57%

NBA 14
1 - 43.40%
4 - 56.60%

It begins.

Also WiiU is dead. RIP

nintendo_crashs3r31.gif

Vita's in the afterlife.

Also is anyone else worried about 3DS sales? It had a 99 2DS SKU, two amazing games one being its biggest exclusive, Pokemon, and it still couldn't reach a million. It did worse than last year iirc. I definitely think its only going to decline from here since all the big games have been released......can it even reach PSP sales?

Nintendo is getting bombarded on both fronts here. Their handheld business is declining veyr quickly and their console business is nearing irrelevancy. I honestly don't know what they will do but they will do something.

Orgen

Updated cs Compilation:

• The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 11% digital, excluding bundles
  • PSV Walking Dead bundle - 29.6% of sales, ~21.5K
  • Gold Zelda 3DS, Blue 2DS and Red 2DS all above 100K
  • Mario Party: Island Tour < 60K
  • Angry Birds: Star Wars - 2.7K
  • 25K > Mario and Sonic at the Sochi Winter Olympic Games > 20K
  • Tearaway - ~14K
  • Pokemon LTD 2.45M including bundles
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts > 6M
Hardware not in OP:
  • PS4 - 1138K
  • PS3 - ~424K
  • Wii - ~70K
  • 75K > PSV > 70K
PSV memory card LTDs:
  • 8GB - 360K
  • 16GB - 172K
  • 32GB - 167K
XB1 Software > 100K
  1. Call of Duty: Ghosts (>385K)
  2. Battlefield 4
  3. Dead Rising 3 (>220K, 215K>)
  4. Forza Motorsport 5 (<= 200K)
  5. Ryse (>185K)
  6. Assassin's Creed IV
  7. Madden NFL 25
  8. NBA 2K14
The Fighter Within < 4K

PS4 Software > 100K
  1. Call of Duty: Ghosts (>440K)
  2. Battlefield 4
  3. Assassin's Creed IV
  4. Killzone: Shadow Fall (<=270K)
  5. NBA 2K14
  6. Madden NFL 25
  7. Need for Speed
  8. FIFA 14
100K > Knack > 90K

Call of Duty: Ghosts platform split:
XBO - 6.42%
PS4 - 7.39%
360 - 55.45%
PS3 - 30.42%
Wii U - 0.33%

ACIV, NFS, Madden, NBA 2K14, FIFA and NBA Live splits

Battlefield 4, next gen split:
XBO - 45.65%
PS4 - 54.35%

Many thanks for the recap!

Also is anyone else worried about 3DS sales? It had a 99 2DS SKU, two amazing games one being its biggest exclusive, Pokemon, and it still couldn't reach a million. It did worse than last year iirc. I definitely think its only going to decline from here since all the big games have been released......can it even reach PSP sales?

Nintendo is getting bombarded on both fronts here. Their handheld business is declining veyr quickly and their console business is nearing irrelevancy. I honestly don't know what they will do but they will do something.

Pretty much everyone who looks at the 3DS numbers objectively thinks it's a worrying sign

I predicted sub 1 million but didn't realize there was a 99 USD SKU

That's worrisome for sure

AniHawk

3ds improved year over year. it's in the first post. i think pokemon, the 2ds, the bundles, and zelda all brought sales up, but it really should have brought sales over a million. december will be especially telling because the 3ds did really well in december 2012 compared to its november (more than doubling sales).

Top Bottom