• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

Kosma

Banned
Fuck this world and fuck SCEA... that confirms that those 20$ sales are because the game has bombed really hard.

I don't even know what to say...

Well hopefully they will adapt the game to come to PS3/4 on PSN now.

It should have been PSN/Vita from the get go IMHO with how the Vita is doing.

Teddified

nintendo can introduce far steeper price drops than sony can. this year the vita with an 8 gigabyte memory card was $170 at best buy for a week (it's how i got mine). prices are near 3ds levels and it's not doing anything. worse, sony isn't supporting the platform with first-party titles and when they do, don't raise a fuss about them.

both systems are done for.

I think you mean $10, and 32 was $40 for a time too, I snatched one of them up.

Saty

Disappointing Software numbers right? Down YOY even with all the new consoles and SKUs. And i presume BF4 is off BF3?

Foshy

Everyone sayong that Tearaway should be ported to PS4 has clearly no idea how the game plays. It just wouldn't work.

The sad thing about the Wii U is the fact it's a great console with great games.

But Nintendo need to kill it and move on.

As a day 1 owner that's enjoyed every exlcusive they've put out, I've accepted that.

RalchAC

Well hopefully they will adapt the game to come to PS3/4 on PSN now.

It should have been PSN/Vita from the get go IMHO with how the Vita is doing.

Yeah, but it'll be a gimped version in some areas.

If you need to press R2 to beat the drums, for example, it won't feel as good as when you do it with the backpad. Same with bringing your finger to the paper world or even the gyros. If you are playing it on your TV it won't feel like you are holding the whole world in our hands.

In PS3/4 it'll be a pretty good adventure / platformer game with a cute and interesting aesthetic, but it won't be as well rounded as it is on Vita.

nintendo can introduce far steeper price drops than sony can. this year the vita with an 8 gigabyte memory card was $170 at best buy for a week (it's how i got mine). prices are near 3ds levels and it's not doing anything. worse, sony isn't supporting the platform with first-party titles and when they do, don't raise a fuss about them.

both systems are done for.

Hmm, I think if Nintendo had that room, they'd have used it by now. Maybe they do and their incompetent or misguided hope/expectation that Zelda/Mario would right the ship made them slow to act?

Time will tell I guess. To me, at least, it looks like Sony has the better options. The Vita is better supported, has Plus and has some limited appeal in terms of being a remote play device...whereas the U appeal is pretty much non existent at the moment and I don't see any of the 2014 games changing that...

Vita is cheaper than 3DS (even 2DS) in a lot of places... and it doesn't sell. It's done.

Chepear than a 2DS? Holy hell, maybe I'm being too optimistic about the Vita's chances...

SmokyDave

I really don't want to see Tearaway ported. It just wouldn't work, it would lose most of its charm and appeal. Then people would say 'it didn't sell because it's not very good'.

Make another game in that universe, sure. Don't port Tearaway though.

Vitor711

Both are good games and Killzone is really good. It will have really long legs over the next couple of months.

Singleplayer lost my interest half way through in Killzone, basically once they stopped have any semblance of open-endedness.

However, that multiplayer. SO GOOD. Up there with KZ2 for me. Best support class I've ever played. Dropping respawn points and reviving fools from a distance is immensely satisfying.

I feel like I'm having a tangible effect on the flow of every game type with the respawn beacon and the fact that it's destructible helps balance that nicely. I don't tend to get the most points at the end of a round, but usually top 3 with most of them coming from supporting and not kills in Warzone.

Having more time to absorb the bigger picture, there's one in particular I think is telling--
The XBO exclusives fared better overall despite being outsold on total consoles. Both anecdotally and from the percentages given with the breakdown of the major third party stuff almost all favoring the PS4 it suggests a wider variety of consumers playing different things. This is a total shift from the PS360 generation. Playstation has generally killed it with exclusives and the 360 is the general go-to for big third party stuff. That's evident in these numbers as well. A sample size of ~2 million isn't insignificant especially when it's the more "hardcore" crowd at immediate launch.

It's still very early of course but I'm very surprised to see such a stark change in buyer mentality and tendencies. Things will depend on supply through December-February (through the PS4 Japan release) and we'll see if this pattern holds; Particularly after Watch_Dogs as a major third party seller it'll be interesting to see the breakdown. Will Sony put up bigger numbers from that, or from its exclusives? Can Second Son + Driveclub match Titanfall?

Sad as it is to say since it's such a cliche already, but a lot does seem to hang on Titanfall. It has to sell X1s or Microsoft risks a deficit on third party and first party games going into the summer which is a nasty place to have to fight from even if they're a bit ahead on total units in the US at the time. One would have to assume that the PS4 will lead most territories outside the US, but that seems to be the market both care most about for now. Can't say I blame them. Free PR and hype are priceless and they can get the most of it in the US.

Minor consolation(?) for Microsoft. The games that are more suited for Kinect did sell better on the XBO than PS4. So it's bringing in at least "some" extra software sales.

Ethelwulf

Dear Gaf,

Quick thought: If we want to estimate how many PS4 were sold, we actually have data to do it. As the only x on the equation is this amount, we can estimate it by doing the following: If XBO sold 909k units and ~385k COD:G were sold in this platform, by a cross multiplication we can calculate how many PS4 (x) were sold by knowing how many copies of COD:G were sold (440k). So 440k x 909k / 385k ~ 1,040,000.

This is of course assuming that de distribution in both sales is the same but well, its an estimate.

Replicant

Updated cs Compilation:

• The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 11% digital, excluding bundles
  • PSV Walking Dead bundle - 29.6% of sales, ~21.5K
  • Gold Zelda 3DS, Blue 2DS and Red 2DS all above 100K
  • Mario Party: Island Tour < 60K
  • Angry Birds: Star Wars - 2.7K
  • 25K > Mario and Sonic at the Sochi Winter Olympic Games > 20K
  • Tearaway - ~14K
  • Pokemon LTD 2.45M including bundles
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts > 6M
Hardware not in OP:
  • PS4 - 1138K
  • PS3 - ~424K
  • Wii - ~70K
  • 75K > PSV > 70K
PSV memory card LTDs:
  • 8GB - 360K
  • 16GB - 172K
  • 32GB - 167K
XB1 Software > 100K
  1. Call of Duty: Ghosts (>385K)
  2. Battlefield 4
  3. Dead Rising 3 (>220K, 215K>)
  4. Forza Motorsport 5 (<= 200K)
  5. Ryse (>185K)
  6. Assassin's Creed IV
  7. Madden NFL 25
  8. NBA 2K14
The Fighter Within < 4K

PS4 Software > 100K
  1. Call of Duty: Ghosts (>440K)
  2. Battlefield 4
  3. Assassin's Creed IV
  4. Killzone: Shadow Fall (<=270K)
  5. NBA 2K14
  6. Madden NFL 25
  7. Need for Speed
  8. FIFA 14
100K > Knack > 90K

Call of Duty: Ghosts platform split:
XBO - 6.42% (>385K)
PS4 - 7.39% (>440K)
360 - 55.45% (>3.33M)
PS3 - 30.42% (>1.82M)
Wii U - 0.33% (>20K)

ACIV, NFS, Madden, NBA 2K14, FIFA and NBA Live splits

Battlefield 4, next gen split:
XBO - 45.65%
PS4 - 54.35%

Ubi must be happy with their PS4 result. Who'd thunk they'd take the 3rd spot right below CoD and BF4 especially after the disappointment that was AC3 and their late-ass 1080p patch? Next time, do an even better job, Ubi!

AniHawk

Hmm, I think if Nintendo had that room, they'd have used it by now. Maybe they do and their incompetent or misguided hope/expectation that Zelda/Mario would right the ship made them slow to act?

Time will tell I guess. To me, at least, it looks like Sony has the better options. The Vita is better supported, has Plus and has some limited appeal in terms of being a remote play device...whereas the U appeal is pretty much non existent at the moment and I don't see any of the 2014 games changing that...

i think you overestimate plus, which has been available for the vita since it launched, and its support, which is dwindling along with hardware sales.

as far as 2014 goes, nintendo has far bigger franchises and the wii u will probably sell better than the vita, but both systems are goners. the vita doesn't come back from 75k in november. that's worse than the saturn's worst november. that's no man's land.

bombshell

Have Sony spread themselves too thin in order to keep up with the high demand?

PS4 available in 48 countries from today:

PlayStation 4 has been in the hands of gamers in much of Europe and Australasia since 29th November, and today we&#8217;re really happy to welcome 11 more countries into the fold. As of this morning, players in the Czech Republic, Greece, Slovakia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, Oman and South Africa can get their hands on the most powerful videogame console ever created.

In addition, PS4 also goes on sale today in Bolivia, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Uruguay and Venezuela, bringing the total number of countries in which PS4 is available to 48, with more to follow later this year and into early 2014. If you&#8217;re still waiting, thank you so much for your patience, we are doing our upmost to ensure availability in your region as soon as possible.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
That's one way to look at it.

If in 2 years they have failed to secure the first spot WW then it was because they spread themselves too thin.

If they succeed it will be called an obvious move to secure a postive network effect by being available earlier.

lefantome

We are looking at more than 100 million HW lost from the handheld market between generations, right? (worldwide numbers)

NDS + PSP = 230 m. (more or less)
3DS + Vita = 100 m? (optimist number).

Between this and the 90 million casual sales lost from the Wii fad... man, that's an astounding downgrade from last generation :|

Yes, BUT:

1) It's the handheld market which is having problems
2) Casuals moved from both markets and, in the case of home consoles, the could come back in the future if they will be successfull and cheap set top boxes.
3) The avg gamer is aging so more gamers
4) Worldwide the home console market is going to grow A LOT!

The future for home consoles is very bright at the moment.

Confirming that:

PlayStation 4 has been in the hands of gamers in much of Europe and Australasia since 29th November, and today we&#8217;re really happy to welcome 11 more countries into the fold. As of this morning, players in the Czech Republic, Greece, Slovakia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain, Oman and South Africa can get their hands on the most powerful videogame console ever created.

In addition, PS4 also goes on sale today in Bolivia, Nicaragua, Paraguay, Uruguay and Venezuela, bringing the total number of countries in which PS4 is available to 48, with more to follow later this year and into early 2014. If you&#8217;re still waiting, thank you so much for your patience, we are doing our upmost to ensure availability in your region as soon as possible.

home console gaming is now worldwide

BigDug13

Yeah, WiiU ain't looking good.. Just sold mine.

That's another issue with Wii-U sales. There's a really healthy used market for the console because so many people are bailing. I can find way better deals on Craiglist than the retail stores for Wii-U's.

Yeah, let's throw money at an irrelevant product, positioned in a market we aren't capable of competing in, because...market presence?
Its not irrelevant in Japan and it's still selling. And it's still getting more software support.
THey also will never make a dedicated handheld again, so it's not like they won't be handing it over next gen anyway.
Yeah it's not like Nintendo is losing a lot of market share already in Japan to smart devices or anything. Next Nintendo handheld will sell much less than the 3DS is doing right now so it's really redundant if Sony enters or not, especially when major publishers are investing heavily in apps and games on smart devices.

Vita numbers :( Sony doing such a poor job with it I honestly don't know why they botheted in the first place.

Remote play feature is cool (one of the reasons I've kept mine for when I get my ps4) but they're not getting 3rd parties on board and not doing themselves with their internal development teams on it.

kyser73

That's one way to look at it.

If in 2 years they have failed to secure the first spot WW then it was because they spread themselves too thin.

If they succeed it will be called an obvious move to secure a postive network effect by being available earlier.

I'm going to stick my neck out and bet that the second sentence will happen.

LOCK

I really think December is more important of an indicator for the Wii U's future and sort of the 3DS as well. I expect 400k for the Wii U and at least 1.6m for the 3DS. I think we all underestimate the recovery time needed to gain consumer attention and I think Nintendo has already hinted at this, with Reggie and Iwata's emphasis on a consistent line-up and advertising budget for the CY 2014. I think we will see the 3DS strategy used for the Wii U next year. I wouldn't be surprised, especially after this months numbers, if SSB releases around April/May. Ignoring third parties, it is still rather important that they sell their own software, so I expect a refocused effort the next CY.

And from this months top 10, Nintendo needs to jump on the NFC bandwagon sooner rather than later, before that market is Guitar Hero'ed. They are so missing a huge opportunity of not having a NFC Pokemon game.

Concerning overall software drops for the month, I think the market is finally getting fatigued from these annual franchises, but the most worrying aspect of that is the consumers are not buying other options. Bad sign overall for the industry.

SmokeMaxX

I really think December is more important of an indicator for the Wii U's future and sort of the 3DS as well. I expect 400k for the Wii U and at least 1.6m for the 3DS. I think we all underestimate the recovery time needed to gain consumer attention and I think Nintendo has already hinted at this, with Reggie and Iwata's emphasis on a consistent line-up and advertising budget for the CY 2014. I think we will see the 3DS strategy used for the Wii U next year. I wouldn't be surprised, especially after this months numbers, if SSB releases around April/May. Ignoring third parties, it is still rather important that they sell their own software, so I expect a refocused effort the next CY.

And from this months top 10, Nintendo needs to jump on the NFC bandwagon sooner rather than later, before that market is Guitar Hero'ed. They are so missing a huge opportunity of not having a NFC Pokemon game.

Concerning overall software drops for the month, I think the market is finally getting fatigued from these annual franchises, but the most worrying aspect of that is the consumers are not buying other options. Bad sign overall for the industry.
The problem with promising consistent line ups is that they actually have to step their shit up. As a huge WiiU fan and Day1-er they promised me that shit this year. I understand that good games take time, but they should've been ready before this thing was released.

NHale

PS4 available in 48 countries from today:

No.

It's a marathon and not a sprint. Even if they lose some sales on the US/UK because they have to shift some stock to those countries (and it's a logistical nightmare to do it), they gain much more down the road because they already estabilished the PS4 as the console to own and stores allocate shelf space.

When the Xbox One releases on those countries (and some already are "Playstation countries") they will have to fight against a cheaper console with a estabilished local userbase/friends playing on that other console.

Of course those countries don't equal the US or even the UK but when you add a lot of those "little" countries you get a lot of sales...

LOCK

The problem with promising consistent line ups is that they actually have to step their shit up. As a huge WiiU fan and Day1-er they promised me that shit this year. I understand that good games take time, but they should've been ready before this thing was released.

I fully agree. Though from August onward I personally think Nintendo has released adequate software. They could have done better from Jan-July, but that stems from problems before launch and even now with the identity crisis of the Wii U.

coldfoot

Banned
No.

It's a marathon and not a sprint. Even if they lose some sales on the US/UK because they have to shift some stock to those countries (and it's a logistical nightmare to do it), they gain much more down the road because they already estabilished the PS4 as the console to own and stores allocate shelf space.

When the Xbox One releases on those countries (and some already are "Playstation countries") they will have to fight against a cheaper console with a estabilished local userbase/friends playing on that other console.

Of course those countries don't equal the US or even the UK but when you add a lot of those "little" countries you get a lot of sales...

But the xbone isn't getting released in those countries anytime soon, and Sony is very strong over there such that they can easily outsell any other console even after giving them a head start

NHale

But the xbone isn't getting released in those countries anytime soon, and Sony is very strong over there such that they can easily outsell any other console even after giving them a head start

Here in Portugal, unless Microsoft invest a lot of money in marketing (never done it before) and reduces the price of the Xbox One, they might as well not release it here.

Cromat

We are looking at more than 100 million HW lost from the handheld market between generations, right? (worldwide numbers)

NDS + PSP = 230 m. (more or less)
3DS + Vita = 100 m? (optimist number).

Between this and the 90 million casual sales lost from the Wii fad... man, that's an astounding downgrade from last generation :|

Meanwhile, Tim Cook bought a new Porsche.

Faustek

No.

Heh, little countries :D I hope you're not putting Korea/China in that market.

Seems like Iwata isn't going to achieve his 3DS goal (18M 3DS by Mar 2013) either.

3DS Unit Sales (Unit: Million)

Code:
Hardware       Ap-Jn    Jl-Sp    Oc-Dc    Ja-Mr      FY      LTD

FY 2010/11       -        -        -      3.61      3.61     3.61

FY 2011/12     0.71     2.36      8.36    2.10      13.53    17.13       

FY 2012/13     1.86     3.20      7.65    1.24      13.95    31.09

FY 2013/14     1.40     2.49       -       -        3.89     34.98

Nintendo will need to sell at least 11-12m 3DS this Q in ordered to meet their forecast.

Top Bottom