• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

So despite 2 of the biggest launch ever, software sales are down? I wonder how much of that is due stronger DD this time around...

Also, apparently both MS and Sony sent way over 50% of their shipments to Us, right?

Last gen PS3 and 360 had more diverse libraries than the Wii.
Not even close, but that's not what's important. Last gen PS3, 360 and Wii sold well enough to between all of them conform a somewhat sustainable userbase for all of their genres, and even then the SH genre was dead outside of some ports of the GC RE to the Wii.
This gen everything not being a FPS/TPS/Sports/Racing is bombing hard, the message has been sent.

Hindle

Banned
I think he's predicting that they'll both be made into a nice soup in the end.

Mmmh.

The people you've asked must be blind then, the branding is evident on store shelves and on the boxes. The Wii U is a known quantity and the Wii audience just doesn't care about it.

Do they know it's a true successor to the Wii or do they think it's some sort of spin off? It was a big mistake keeping the Wii name, especially after interest faded away for the original.

kyser73

Of course they will win in the USA. November NPD was a very light punch to the chin. Sony's going to get a black eye next month.

Are you misterX?

Talking of which, the madness & denial is still there, although he thinks maybe 'insider' lied to him about dGPU & secret sauce.

Important INFO I just found out if you wish you get a PS4 in the U.S before Xmas...

Just talked to a buddy of mine who works at Walmart; Just told me something that consumers are supposed to be ignorant too; so here you go...

According to my buddy, mostly all (if not all) WalMarts have PS4's in stock at the moment, he told me he counted "33" PS4's at his WalMart alone in back-stock, but they are saving them for this Sunday mainly to bring in buyers due to Iphone 5s being on sale on the same day.

I asked him about Xbone... He stated Xbones are guaranteed due to come in before Xmas, but no confirmed date, they have no stock left, all is sold out.

kswiston

So for the people who like to say that the Wii U launched to nice numbers, so launch numbers for the new HD twins are meaningless: Can we at least acknowledge the fact that the PS4 can sell zero units in Dec, Jan, Feb, and March and still stay ahead of the Wii U, launched aligned?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I'm not big on sales age. But Saty, you gotta be batshit or something. Its like you're ignoring stuff on purpose to put down killzone.

You sound like that pr rep that came up with the "ms fastest selling console" spin.

kyser73

Important INFO I just found out if you wish you get a PS4 in the U.S before Xmas...

Just talked to a buddy of mine who works at Walmart; Just told me something that consumers are supposed to be ignorant too; so here you go...

According to my buddy, mostly all (if not all) WalMarts have PS4's is stock at the moment, he told me he counted "33" PS4's at his WalMart alone in back-stock, but they are saving them for this Sunday mainly to bring in buyers due to Iphone 5s being on sale on the same day.

I asked him about Xbone... He stated Xbones are guaranteed due to come in before Xmas, but no confirmed date, they have no stock left, all is sold out.

So like Target (or wherever) they've got an ad for the weekend, and legally need to hold stock for the promotion.

marrec

Banned
with a nasty ninja turtle spin kick

That'd probably get any turtle disqualified from a proper race.

Do they know it's a true successor to the Wii or do they think it's some sort of spin off? It was a big mistake keeping the Wii name, especially after interest faded away for the original.

They know enough to know that without a Wii U they can't play the newest Mario game. The general consumer isn't so dumb as to believe otherwise.

Can't see EA not fast tracking Titanfall 2 for a 2015 release. Also don't think it's going to really push Xbones, since it's on pc/360. Second Son will probably push more PS4s than fall will X1s.

I wonder if the long-term strategy is to get the very large 360 player base hooked on the first Titanfall and then release T2 as an XB1 exclusive in 2015.

Saty

So why ignore it then? This makes it almost certain that the number of copies of Shadow Fall actually sold, combining bundles and standalone, is higher than the number quoted which is standalone only.

KZ3 was released in 2011, years after the PS3 launch, and the PS3 install base was millions and millions more than that of the PS4 currently. Therefore, millions more potential customers for KZ3 than there were/are currently for Shadow Fall. You can't just say "install base isn't a valid argument" without a reason, because it clearly is valid - if more people own a console, a game's potential userbase will be higher than that of a game on a console owned by less people, and therefore numbers are usually expected to be higher for the game with a higher potential userbase - i.e. KZ3.

Basically, your argument makes no sense.

You just moved the goalposts so far I can't see them any more. Your argument was Killzone SF is "following a trend" because it sold less than KZ3 sold to a vastly larger userbase (and that not even counting bundles, which may well amount to it selling more). Now your argument is completely different, so what's your point.
First, you said it yourself. The numbers of KZ2 and KZ3 i quoted are only standalone figures so we don't know how their first month was including bundled copies. The most direct and appropriate comparison would be for the data we do have and know, which is standalone first month sales.

Secondly, gauging a game\series sales\trends is best done based on standalone copies, without bundled copies with hardware because that changes the picture.

Thirdly, if the user base is to blame then why is KZ3 selling only 10k more on a much bigger base is not a potential argument for the franchise waning?

My point is that the Killzone series has been having a negative momentum in sales with each new release. KZ3 has probably lost Sony money and in terms of profitability target it's probably not self-sustainable. If Sony's are willing to continue fund the games and absorb the losses, than that's their decision. But in terms of sales and fan-base the series is on decline and can't financially carry it. The standalone figures of Shadowfall suggest that the trend is continuing.

In my opinion, being a flagship title for a record-breaking console launch would have pretty much the best option in order to try to stem the trend and rejuvenate the sales of the series and improve its sustainability.
I don't see how Sony can be satisfied with the history of the franchise's sales. It doesn't deliver on the game's sales that are expected of something in Killzon's caliber and budgets. And i don't recall Killzone being a notable console-mover.

So you accept it probably sold quite a bit more than KZ3, but we should discount those extra sales because we cannot know the buyers motivations? And all this to make your story about KZ's downward trend fit?
I accept that KZ3 and SW sold more than the numbers i gave thanks to copies bundled with hardware. I don't accept we should compare one game's standalone sales vs the other's stanalone + bundled.

I accept that KZ3 and SW sold more than the numbers i gave thanks to copies bundled with hardware. I don't accept we should compare one game's standalone sales vs the other's stanalone + bundled.

but you do think we should compare KZ:SW's sales to previous iterations that were on a system that had larger userbases and no sales constraints at the times of their launch.

I'm not trying to argue good or bad here, I'm just trying to point out that one can spin it however they want.

So like Target (or wherever) they've got an ad for the weekend, and legally need to hold stock for the promotion.

Absolutley! From a business standpoint, I can see these businesses holding these systems as a "how to promote" other products to there advantage.

It's business 101...

If you owned a business where a product such as the PS4 or XB1 was a hot "SELL-OUT" item, wouldn't you make a business move to up-sell other items you are trying to sell included with these Extreme In-demand items? It's obvious business ethics.

Lol, love it that people are tryng to spin those Killzone numbers as bad. It just burns these people that a so called crappy exclusive sold the most out of all exclusives.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Secondly, gauging a game\series sales\trends is best done based on standalone copies, without bundled copies with hardware because that changes the picture.

I agree 100% everytime I see Mariokart, NSMB, and Wii Sports multimillion sales numbers thrown around.

Slashlen

In reality there just isn't a deal in place at this time. MS still has the likely opportunity to moneyhat it if the first is a commercial success.

I'm sure they have the opportunity, but it could end up costing them more than they want to pay. Suppose the Xbox really stumbles next year and the PS4 continues to do great. Titanfall does great numbers too...on 360. By the time negotiations for the next release comes up, EA could be looking at the PS4 install base and saying MS is going to have to pay them a lot more to give that up.

Cheech

The Wii U is bombing due to your average gamer not having a clue it exists. They think it's a Wii periphel or something. Nintendo were unbelievably stupid to call the console Wii U, I still think they should rename it.

The Wii U has been out long enough I don't think this reasoning still applies.

The stone cold reality is that nobody wants the damn thing. The reason Mario sold on the Wii is because people already had the system in their homes thanks to Wii Sports.

Mario is now evidently not enough to sell systems on his own merit. So Nintendo needs another gimmick that nobody else has for their next system, or they might as well not bother and stick to handhelds.

Sony learned the same lesson, but in reverse. Put the Vita in a PS4 box at $400 next fall? You might sell some Vita software. Probably not.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
but you do think we should compare KZ:SW's sales to previous iterations that were on a system that had larger userbases and no sales constraints at the times of their launch.

I'm not trying to argue good or bad here, I'm just trying to point out that one can spin it however they want.

How much do we expect KZ to sell in total now WW?

Cheech

By the time negotiations for the next release comes up, EA could be looking at the PS4 install base and saying MS is going to have to pay them a lot more to give that up.

A rational company would say "go ahead, make it multi, we don't want to pay millions!"

Microsoft is not rational. They want your living room, and games are the means to the end. If Titanfall sells tons of Xbones, they will lock it up.

Look at Mass Effect. It sold very well on the 360, but I don't think it really pushed systems to the degree they were hoping. Bioshock, same thing. They wanted another Gears with those titles, and didn't quite get it. So they were cut loose.

How the Xbone sells up until Titanfall is completely immaterial to Microsoft deciding whether or not to lock it up. It's how many systems they push out the door with that game that matter.

My brother asked me at Thanksgiving if the Wii U required the Wii. I don't think he's alone.

All that means is he doesn't give a crap about Nintendo products. Anyone who really cares about purchasing Nintendo products knows about the Wii U. The Wii flew out the doors because of a gimmick, not because of Mario. Mario sold after the fact. Just ponder that for a bit. The Wii U is a console without a market.

Hindle

Banned
The Wii U has been out long enough I don't think this reasoning still applies.

The stone cold reality is that nobody wants the damn thing. The reason Mario sold on the Wii is because people already had the system in their homes thanks to Wii Sports.

Mario is now evidently not enough to sell systems on his own merit. So Nintendo needs another gimmick that nobody else has for their next system, or they might as well not bother and stick to handhelds.

Sony learned the same lesson, but in reverse. Put the Vita in a PS4 box at $400 next fall? You might sell some Vita software. Probably not.

There is a link between the Wii fading away and the Wii U having trouble to sell. I maintain a huge part of thier problems is the Wii brand, and they need to rename the console to coincide with a relaunch.

I would appreciate if we can get any of the following figures. The thread is too big now for me to go back and search for them(If posted)

1. Beyond Two Souls LTD
2. Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD LTD
3. Killzone Mercenary LTD

Thanks a lot :)

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
14k Tearaway is disgusting :(

220k for 3D Mario seems low, but not too bad considering Killzone did 270k ?

The top 10 software list is pretty appalling, personally tbh.

Wii U numbers are sad, as is the top ten of generic yearly rehashes and posts happy about the Wii U's failure. I miss generations like PS One vs N64 or PS2 vs GC vs Xbox (vs Dreamcast). Consoles used to have diverse, varied line ups, every console was different and had great exclusives. Owning multiple consoles meant having access to many great games. Those wishing for the end of the Wii U and Nintendo in general wish for the death of this diversity.

Now, with the PS4 and the Xbone, we have two samey systems that will most likely share 95% of the same line up, if the last gen is any indication. PS vs Xbox became PSbox (the term PS360 exists for a reason). The difference is that, this gen, the third option that offers something different is tanking big time. You might not be a fan of Nintendo games, but you have to admit that they give those who are tired of the generic AAA stuff, shooters etc., or who just want to play something different every now and then, an additional option. The Wii U's line up, while small, is full of unique, critically acclaimed gems. Nintendo's games are all pure gameplay, they are above everything else in terms of polish, level design and gameplay. No cutscenes, no cinematic scripted stuff, no shooting bad guys, it's something different for a change. The gaming industry has become so derivative, that that is something really valuable.

While the Wii U would never be the primary system for the vast majority, it complements the other two very nicely, PS4 + Wii U or Xbone + Wii U is an awesome combination for a gamer, if you ask me. The Wii U and Nintendo offer variety. Why would you want that to go away? IMO, if you call yourself a gamer and look at that top ten and are satisfied with this industry, that's like saying you're a gourmet and the only restaurant you go to is Mc Donalds.

sphinx

the piano man
I would appreciate if we can get any of the following figures. The thread is too big now for me to go back and search for them(If posted)

and if someone is kind enough to provide whatever VITA HW figure was leaked (if it was), that would be pretty nice.

thread is too big to look for it

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, comfortably. I can't understand the whole 'MS & Sony consoles only have cinematic AAA shooters'. I can only assume it comes from people that only own a Nintendo console and don't see past the top 10 when assessing the other libraries.

To be fair it goes both ways. The number I've seen stated on this forum that the Wii library was Wii Sports, Fit etc plus Mario/Zelda...

Slashlen

A rational company would say "go ahead, make it multi, we don't want to pay millions!"

Microsoft is not rational. They want your living room, and games are the means to the end. If Titanfall sells tons of Xbones, they will lock it up.

Look at Mass Effect. It sold very well on the 360, but I don't think it really pushed systems to the degree they were hoping. Bioshock, same thing. They wanted another Gears with those titles, and didn't quite get it. So they were cut loose.

How the Xbone sells up until Titanfall is completely immaterial to Microsoft deciding whether or not to lock it up. It's how many systems they push out the door with that game that matter.

The amount of money they're willing to spend is not infinite. If it were, they could just pay Activision to make CoD exclusive.

All that means is he doesn't give a crap about Nintendo products. Anyone who really cares about purchasing Nintendo products knows about the Wii U. The Wii flew out the doors because of a gimmick, not because of Mario. Mario sold after the fact. Just ponder that for a bit. The Wii U is a console without a market.

He's not a hardcore Nintendo fan, he's a casual. It's possible to like Nintendo games without being informed about all the goings on about them. He borrowed a Wii from a friend years ago, liked it, and now wants his own console to play those games. He's probably going to pick up a Wii U now that he knows it doesn't require a Wii.

Wii U numbers are sad, as is the top ten of generic yearly rehashes and posts happy about the Wii U's failure. I miss generations like PS One vs N64 or PS2 vs GC vs Xbox (vs Dreamcast). Consoles used to have diverse, varied line ups, every console was different and had great exclusives. Owning multiple consoles meant having access to many great games. Those wishing for the end of the Wii U and Nintendo in general wish for the death of this diversity.

Now, with the PS4 and the Xbone, we have two samey systems that will most likely share 95% of the same line up, if the last gen is any indication. PS vs Xbox became PSbox (the term PS360 exists for a reason). The difference is that, this gen, the third option that offers something different is tanking big time. You might not be a fan of Nintendo games, but you have to admit that they give those who are tired of the generic AAA stuff, shooters etc., or who just want to play something different every now and then, an additional option. The Wii U's line up, while small, is full of unique, critically acclaimed gems. Nintendo's games are all pure gameplay, they are above everything else in terms of polish, level design and gameplay. No cutscenes, no cinematic scripted stuff, no shooting bad guys, it's something different for a change. The gaming industry has become so derivative, that that is something really valuable.

While the Wii U would never be the primary system for the vast majority, it complements the other two very nicely, PS4 + Wii U or Xbone + Wii U is an awesome combination for a gamer, if you ask me. The Wii U and Nintendo offer variety. Why would you want that to go away? IMO, if you call yourself a gamer and look at that top ten and are satisfied with this industry, that's like saying you're a gourmet and the only restaurant you go to is Mc Donalds.

I agree. The problem is, I don't think a lot of people (outside of GAF) buy more than one console. And as you said, if you want to buy one system only, it will be a PS4 or Xbone for the vast majority.

The 3DS, mobile, console DD indies, and PC offer the non-AAA variety that may be lacking from the HD cousins. Compared to Wii U, the 3DS has much better Japanese games (and arguably, more and better Nintendo first party support), the PC and mobile have much, much better F2P and cheap games and far more new IP, and the console DD space is more mature on XBLA/PSN and offers decent sales for A and AA games at $19.99 or less.

Where does that leave Wii U? Nearly every conceivable gaming need is covered by more desirable hardware, and their former strength (motion gaming) is dead unless Wii Fit U and Kinect Sports 3 put up monster numbers (at this point it's looking increasingly unlikely). With Nintendo emulating the 3DS look in Wii U games like NSMB and Mario 3D world (and now with Smash coming to 3DS as well), the only real selling point for the hardware is the tablet (which can't play any modern tablet games, good job there) and the ability to play off-TV, which no one really cares about.

Top Bottom