• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

Didn't he write that digital was 60 ‰?

I'm pretty sure that's just based on something Tretton said about overall Vita software sales at E3, not any insider info about Tearaway specifically. While that figure certainly sounds impressive, it means little without more context: is it based on unit sales or revenue? Does it include PSN-only titles, or PSN+ downloads?

I haven't seen any retail Vita publisher offer a digital:physical sales ratio of anywhere near 1.5:1, or even a third of that, so at the very least, I'd be pretty doubtful that it only accounts for retail titles.

lt519

There's a variety of titles in the Top 10, even though many are sequels. The problem isn't with gaming, I'm afraid.

Nailed it. Didn't like Assassin Creed 3 so I'll skip IV. Got GTA V, was OK, sold it. Madden and FIFA are always good but are just yearly revisions and no real reason to purchase (I still play 12' of both and that's cool with me). Not into shooters (Bought Shadowfall and have logged about 5 hours). Infinity, Just Dance and Skylanders just aren't targeted to me.

Zachi

Banned
creamsugar said:
Call of Duty: Ghosts platform split:
XBO - 6.42% (>385K)
PS4 - 7.39% (>440K)
360 - 55.45% (>3.33M)
PS3 - 30.42% (>1.82M)
Wii U - 0.33% (>20K)

ACIV, NFS, Madden, NBA 2K14, FIFA and NBA Live splits

Battlefield 4, next gen split:
XBO - 45.65%
PS4 - 54.35%

software split, more than anything, is one of the most important data. Now the perception is that PS4 is the platform to choose for all multiplatform games. Software is where most of the gaming revenue comes from

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Not sure if sacrificing a North American lead is a good idea... they have Europe pretty well covered so they should really be focusing on North America.

Not this year they shouldn't. Tie in America for the first 6 months and dominate the world within that same time period.

If they make Xbox a USA only brand, then that's bad for MS.

Loudninja

PS4 sold around 2000 unit in Dubai only and demand is still growing:
http://gulfnews.com/business/techno...-playstation-4-sales-exceeds-supply-1.1266669

thread worthy?
I think they sold more than that.

Many of the retailers had opened their shops at 12AM on Thursday to cater to the more than 4,300 pre-orders for the fourth-generation device.

Ashish Panjabi, chief operating officer of Jacky’s Electronics, said that many people will not get a PS4 in time for Christmas.
“We did not do any pre-bookings by knowing the situation. What came were sold out,” he said.
“The crowd was much bigger than we had anticipated across all our five stores,” Nadeem Khanzadah, head of retail at Jumbo Electronics, said.
He said stocks are completely sold out. So for walking customers there is nothing left.
Khanzadah said, “We have received 1,000 pre-orders and would have easily crossed 5,000 had we not capped pre-bookings.”
http://gulfnews.com/business/techno...-playstation-4-sales-exceeds-supply-1.1266669

Unless I am reading this wrong?

Salex_

The 1138K?

So PS4, with being out a week earlier, only outsold XB1 in the US by ~228K systems? Gonna be an interesting gen in the US. Can't wait for Dec NPD.

Can't sell more than that when you're launching in over 32 countries vs Microsoft's 13. The PS4 Asia launch is happening this week as well.

EGOMON

Would that be the biggest console launch for the country?

Yes, mind you Dubai is a city in a country called United Arab Emirates (UAE) so thats pretty huge for one city, PS4 is also launched in KSA, Kuwait, Bahrain, Oman & Qatar so the number for Arabian Gulf countries in totall should be even bigger i can't even guess it

Cheech

Lately? I don't know. I don't think a handheld game can really impress me anymore. They either feel like safe iterations on a franchise or C tier copies of a console game (this is mostly a Sony problem). We'd have to go back to the game boy advance era to find the last handheld game that blew me away, but things were a lot different back then.

Try Year Walk or The Room for iOS. Both games are much more well done and innovative than anything Nintendo or Sony have crapped out this year on handheld.

Road

I was thinking about this month's 3DS sales and it seems very likely that its (November) sales peaked during its first year, that's really uncommon. Excluding systems that were a total failure we would have Xbox, its best November happened to be the first one because that was its launch month.

I thought that with the new 2DS model + bundles + Pokémon X / Y and The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds this would be the peak for 3DS. I have a hard time thinking that next year things will be better. For reference, Game Boy Advance in its fifth November sold 892,000 units, 3DS will probably never match those sales.

Nintendo 3DS

November 2011 - 795,000
November 2012 - 540,000
November 2013 - 770,000

Game Boy Advance

November 2001 - 929,000
November 2002 - 1,283,000
November 2003 - 1,323,000
November 2004 - 1,323,000
November 2005 - 892,000
November 2006 - 641,000
November 2007 - I couldn't find it

3DS is right now looking at a maximum 25 million units sold in the US, unless a miracle happens. I say this because it is performing a little better than PSP, which reached only 20 million.

Total after 33 months:

GBA: ~20 million
DS: ~12.2 million
3DS: ~10.4 million
PSP: ~9.4 million

Sales in the past 12 months (at month 33):

GBA: ~7.9 million
DS: ~6.6 million
3DS: ~4 million
PSP: ~3.7 million

And the Vita, 1/10th of that: 2.5 million tops. It has sold 1.6 million, but this year (missing December) it has sod only ~350k. It'll struggle to sell 300k in all of 2014.

Random stat: PS4 first 16 days (1138k) ~= first 7 months of Wii U (~1145k)

Log4Girlz

The 1138K?

So PS4, with being out a week earlier, only outsold XB1 in the US by ~228K systems? Gonna be an interesting gen in the US. Can't wait for Dec NPD.

Yeah I think Sony really dropped the ball on that one. They should have sold like 5 million units. I wonder how many are just sitting on shelves collecting dust. Perhaps they should slash the price.

Majanew

Banned
Yeah I think Sony really dropped the ball on that one. They should have sold like 5 million units. I wonder how many are just sitting on shelves collecting dust. Perhaps they should slash the price.

Cute. The Target by my house has had PS4s for the past week. Flying off shelves!

x-Lundz-x

Nailed it. Didn't like Assassin Creed 3 so I'll skip IV. Got GTA V, was OK, sold it. Madden and FIFA are always good but are just yearly revisions and no real reason to purchase (I still play 12' of both and that's cool with me). Not into shooters (Bought Shadowfall and have logged about 5 hours). Infinity, Just Dance and Skylanders just aren't targeted to me.
Ac4 is infinitely better than 3. I'll go as far and say it's the best game in the series.

I think the next Battlefield has a small shot at outselling the next COD despite the current bug issues. A lot has to take place for that to happen though.

Not this year they shouldn't. Tie in America for the first 6 months and dominate the world within that same time period.

If they make Xbox a USA only brand, then that's bad for MS.

Xbox is pretty much a USA only brand at this point

Only real ingrounds MS has left are Australia and Brazil

They will win Brazil, no idea about Australia

I'm honestly very disappointed that we didn't get many hardware numbers. Every other month the NPD has hardware sells for every console, except the one where I actually want to know them...

BigDug13

The 1138K?

When you put it that way it doesn't sound like a lot. When you say "Sony outsold MS by 25%" it sounds better. 228k difference sounds like chump change until you realize we're only talking about 909k total systems on the other side.

marrec

Banned
Cute. The Target by my house has had PS4s for the past week. Flying off shelves!

Adorable. The dumpster by my house has had XBOs for the past week.

You have to accept my uncorroborated anecdotal evidence as fact.

Target's around the country seem to have sporadic supply issues with units. All the ones in Pittsburgh are stocked full of XBOs but have no PS4s in sight.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I hope no one is still surprised as to why WiiU is getting no more third party support.

While it likely wouldn't have made much of a difference, I saw very few stores stocking the game or even acknowledging it existed. I understand the former, but why wouldn't they even put a Wii U logo and say "please order online" or something? It's kind of weird to do any work on throw it under a bus in stores.

While it likely wouldn't have made much of a difference, I saw very few stores stocking the game or even acknowledging it existed. I understand the former, but why wouldn't they even put a Wii U logo and say "please order online" or something? It's kind of weird to do any work on throw it under a bus in stores.

Hard to get retail space, favor when you're not selling a lot of software as that's where retailers make money on consoles

Only way to sell software is to move hardware

It's a real catch 22 scenario. Nintendo really needed 3rd party support this gen and they honestly failed to achieve anything even remotely near the support required

I wonder what the nvidia shield's and ouya's numbers are. Also I wonder which games sold more on console vs pc or visa versa.

Shield and Ouya may be the only hardware that sold less than the Vita

Cheech

Adorable. The dumpster by my house has had XBOs for the past week.

You have to accept my uncorroborated anecdotal evidence as fact.

I think it is pretty clear that it is much easier to get an Xbone than a PS4. I'm not sure why anyone would debate that if they visit big box stores or Gamestops at all.

That dude must live near some Target at the corner of Bumfuck and Hicksville, because I live in a metro area with >1 million people and have never seen a PS4 in the wild. Targets, Walmarts, Gamestops, Best Buys, Bupkis.

Seen plenty of Xbones, HOWEVER, stock is clearly turning over very quickly when stores do get stock. The insider dude from earlier in the thread who asserted that the Xbone is going to have a better December is probably 100% accurate just based on what I've seen.

Perhaps he only played his Wii twice?

http://psnprofiles.com/smokydave

0 games played. Not even Tearaway. Busted.

Jamie-shocked-reaction.gif

http://psnprofiles.com/salex

0 games played.

Geez, almost 5000 posts? This thread needs a recap. Also, fuck NPD.

Whoops.

http://psnprofiles.com/Jcm

14 games played. 1 completed.

http://psnprofiles.com/CuRb

4 games played. In five years.

i love when shit like this happens lol

I love it too. I'm also sure all those profiles belong to the posters with the same username here. Because every user name exists once on the internet.

Fucking LOL.

jcm

I have compiled the YOY and Gen over Gen numbers, as best I'm able to with NPD's secrecy. Some thoughts:
  • The console numbers are really, really good. Best news we've had at NPD in a while.
  • The Nintendo numbers are really, really bad, and are really going to hurt their attempt to return to profitability.
  • The handheld market is still undergoing massive contraction.
  • Au revoir PSP.

Code:
Year Over Year                          
            2013      2012      % Change
XB1          909                
360          647      1260       -48.65%
PS4         1138            
PS3          424       760       -44.21%
WIU          220       425       -48.24%
WII           70       420       -83.33%
3DS          770       540        42.59%
NDS                    370       
PSV           72       220       -67.05%
PSP            0         0  

Family                          
MSFT        1556      1260        23.49%
SONY        1634       980        66.79%
NINT        1060      1755       -39.60%

HAND         842      1130       -25.44%
CONSOLE     3408      2865        18.95%

Gen over Gen                              
Console     2013      2006      % Change
360                    511       
PS2                    664       
WII                    476       
PS3                    197       
TOTAL       3408     1,848        84.42%

Handheld    2013      2007      % Change
NDS                   1530       
PSP                    567       
GBA                            
Total      842.5      2097       -59.85%

What do you think has hurt the Wii U more, the Wii brand name or its specs?

Hmm neither? It's not the Wii part of the name that's hurting it, it's the "U"

If they had done Super Wii or Wii 2 and marketed it correctly it could've turned out better for it

Honestly though it's marketing and the gamepad approach

Too expensive and too gimmicky without any significantly compelling game use cases for it

I have compiled the YOY and Gen over Gen numbers, as best I'm able to with NPD's secrecy.
Code:
Family                          
MSFT        1556      1260        23.49%
SONY        1634       980        66.79%
[B]NINT        1060      1755       -39.60%[/B]

Gen over Gen                              
Console     2013      2006      % Change  
TOTAL       3408     1,848        [B]84.42%[/B]

Handheld    2013      2007      % Change    
Total      842.5      1971       [B]-57.26%[/B]

Wow at the loss of marketshare Nintendo is facing just from last year even and dedicated handhelds are on the way out it would seem

EGM1966

I think we all know the problem was they couldn't make 5 million units (if they could they'd definitely have sold them).

Sony needs to walk a fine line between getting enough stock to US to remain consistent with MS (who seem to be pushing by far the majority of their stock to US only) and keeping enough stock in Europe to maintain their brand image.

At this point Sony is pretty much guaranteed global lead assuming they can match/exceed MS for console production going forward but US might well swing back and forth a bit as Sony is covering far more countries and trying to get non US countries more stock than MS seems to be.

On the flip side no one expects MS to lead outside US and it's clear their main concern is remaining viable there - UK aside I suspect all other regions are currently way down priority list for MS in terms of stock supply and focus. Results haven't been too bad for MS in that regard - while PS4 outsold the XB1 it was fairly close and at this point it looks like MS should be able to keep XB1 relevant in that market relatively easily.

The real fun starts when both are in stock most of the time and we see how many units per week they baseline to per region - I doubt we'll see the real patterns until well into 2014.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
What do you think has hurt the Wii U more, the Wii brand name or its specs?

I guess the specs.

Nintendo knew they were in trouble, the gamepad was the desperate attempt to gain back the casual games that abandoned them thanks to their phones and tablets. It's also why they were so desperate to cater to third parties this time around because they had to know the audience that carried the Wii to its success early on wasn't going to all come back for another rodeo so they had to try to make inroads with the millions of console gamers who never bothered with the Wii

The Wii brand was dead not because of incompetence, its just that the people who enjoyed their Wii moved onto cheaper and better games that were more convenient to play.

Hmm neither? It's not the Wii part of the name that's hurting it, it's the "U"

If they had done Super Wii or Wii 2 and marketed it correctly it could've turned out better for it

Honestly though it's marketing and the gamepad approach

Too expensive and too gimmicky without any significantly compelling game use cases for it

I disagree regarding the gamepad. Zombi U is super great, as is Nintendo Land, and off-TV play is awesome. The thing's got some real potential--the fact that both MS and Sony are trying to implement similar features with Smartglass and Vita should be proof enough of that. It does need more of a price drop, though.

Completely agree on the marketing issues. I knew it was gonna be trouble when the name was announced, but I never expected it to do this poorly.

Kinect Sports 1 and 2 are no more Rare than if Polyphony Digital got press ganged into making IOS farting apps, and you say 'critically 'acclaimed' to cover up for the fact that Banjo N&B and Viva Pinata all tanked at retail. PD Zero only sold due to launch software hype and had a fairly poor reputation short after the fact (like much of Rare's Xbox output).

These sorts of things aren't silly statements when context is comparing critical reception as a fit for their respective platform holders.

Rare certainly wasn't a good fit hence why they have been raped and turned into a Kinect Sports studio. They had to undergo a complete cultural purge and realignment of what exactly the studio is. The last 'Rare' projects they released (Banjo and Viva) tanked hard and they don't have a critical reception anywhere near MMs output. Insert lenghtly articles about Rare's founders and top people leaving the company shortly before Kinect.

They have a lot more titles to bring down the average, but unfortunately that only informs a history since they've been making games for so much longer since switching the the Xbox brand.

And sure Killer Instinct is doing ok, but Microsoft doesn't trust Rare with its own legacy IPs and would rather farm them out to C list developers, because the Rare of old proved themselves incapable. Honestly Rare was a mess before Microsoft bought them, but I digress.

You compared MM to Rare, in the context that MM has several critical successes (so does Rare) a few modest commercial successes (so does Rare), and valuable ip that have been given life outside of the original developer (so does Rare).

Little Big Planet 2 and Tearaway bombing didn't suddenly make MM useless, did it?

I covered up nothing. Rare's critically acclaimed games bombed, their mediocre fps and their decent motion games sold well. Kinect Sports 3 is probably going to sell well, KI3 is probably selling well. They are far from useless, even if they don't have the same autonomy to do whatever they please any longer (which is overstated anyway, as Nintendo forced the DK and Star Fox ips on them, the latter to the detriment of Dinosaur Planet).

I disagree regarding the gamepad. Zombi U is super great, as is Nintendo Land, and off-TV play is awesome. The thing's got some real potential--the fact that both MS and Sony are trying to implement similar features with Smartglass and Vita should be proof enough of that. It does need more of a price drop, though.

Completely agree on the marketing issues. I knew it was gonna be trouble when the name was announced, but I never expected it to do this poorly.

Hmm there are some interesting examples of the gamepad being used in games but I suppose I meant a system selling use case for it. Gamepad is a very hard thing to market and sell the public on so it really needed something like Wii Sports where it's obvious to all why its compelling.

But yes Marketing is most of the problem but it's a bit late now. 3rd party support was needed early on and it seems to have evaporated :(

KI3 is probably selling well.

Out of curiosity what is KI3?

Top Bottom