• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

quetz67

Banned
Seen plenty of Xbones, HOWEVER, stock is clearly turning over very quickly when stores do get stock. The insider dude from earlier in the thread who asserted that the Xbone is going to have a better December is probably 100% accurate just based on what I've seen.

I think you just can't tell if those xbones sighted or being sold daily at Amazon are anywhere near 30K/day as well as nobody knows how many PS4 preorders are fulfilled without anybody ever seeing them.

CrisKre

PS4 doing great is good! hope we finally see team ico games and the actually sell.

Im sad for vita and tearaway, and to a lesser extent for Wii u and mario.

Bothhad the best games this month, Vita absolutely cratered and hope of a turnaround is slipping away for wii u. I do think nintendo was very shortsighted by not having good black friday deals going for the u, since a bit more exposure could have made it pull some decent numbers i believe. Hopefuly they can pull some drastic measures and release Kart and Smash asap to salvage whatever sales they can before it is too late.

A wild Aquamarine appeared!

1. Call of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS3, PS4, XBO, PC, NWU) - 6.0-6.2 million units
XBO - 6.42%
PS4 - 7.39%
360 - 55.45%
PS3 - 30.42%
WIU - 0.33%

2. Battlefield 4 (360, PS3, PS4, XBO, PC) - 1.4-2.0 million units
Out of those sold in next-gen:
XBO - 45.65%
PS4 - 54.35%

3. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (360, PS4, PS3, XBO, PC, NWU) - 1.1-1.3 million units
XBO - 30.95%
PS4 - 69.05%

4. Madden NFL 25 (360, PS3, PS4, XBO)
XBO - 40.12%
PS4 - 59.88%

5. Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3) - 0.6-0.8 million Units

6. NBA 2K14
XBO - 34.84%
PS4 - 65.16%

7. Skylanders: Swap Force (WII, 360, PS3, NWU, 3DS, XBO, PS4) - >0.5 million units

8. Just Dance 2014 (WII, 360, NWU, XBO, PS3, PS4)

9. Disney Infinity (WII, 360, PS3, NWU, 3DS)

10. FIFA 2014 (360, PS3, PS4, XBO, PSV) - >0.4 million units
XBO - 35.43%
PS4 - 64.57%

Need for Speed: Rivals - <0.3 million units
XBO - 16.71%
PS4 - 48.42%
360 - 17.77%
PS3 - 17.11%

Courtesy of Creamsugar and others:

0.22-0.27 million units - Killzone: Shadowfall
0.21-0.22 million units - Dead Rising 3
0.20-0.22 million units - Super Mario 3D World
0.185-0.20 million units - Forza Motorsports 5
0.185-0.2 million units - Ryse: Son of Rome
0.09-0.10 million units - Knack

Courtesy of me:

80K < Wii < 85K
222K < Wii U < 224K

424K < PS3 < 425K
1137K < PS4 < 1138K

Coxy

What the shit is this? That is not my PSN profile. I don't live in the US. And I own exactly one of those games.

oh ok, it must be a different MoogleWizard whose most played game is Dark Souls, your most played game.

Who has played Resident Evil 6 but didnt like it. I'm sure when you said you were going to buy it just for Leon you actually must have changed your mind huh? because you only own one of those games
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39856894&postcount=183

Who has played skyrim, which you claim to have played but not on PC
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=75139747&postcount=59

and yet you dont own an xbox http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47504380&postcount=536

but you only own one of those games? so where did you play skyrim?

mckmas8808

Banned
Zomgbbq was right then. Expect big shortages in January (well, bigger than present) as they wind down air support.

Yeah Zomgbbq said that Sony will be shipping 600,000 PS4s per week in December all over the world by taking them off the boat and putting them on planes. That's 2.4 million shipped PS4s in the month of DECEMBER people!

2. Battlefield 4 - 1.4-2.0 million units
XBO - 45.65%
PS4 - 54.35%

3. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag - 1.1-1.3 million units
XBO - 30.95%
PS4 - 69.05%

10. FIFA 2014 - >0.4 million units
XBO - 35.43%
PS4 - 64.57%

XBO - 16.71%
PS4 - 48.42%
360 - 17.77%
PS3 - 17.11%

Are the units sold for the games we have next-gen share percentages for just next-gen sales?

Also isn't 300K or less for NFS bad as it was on 4 consoles?

oh ok, it must be a different MoogleWizard whose most played game is Dark Souls, your most played game.

Who has played Resident Evil 6 but didnt like it. I'm sure when you said you were going to buy it just for Leon you actually must have changed your mind huh? because you only own one of those games
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39856894&postcount=183

Who has played skyrim, which you claim to have played but not on PC
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=75139747&postcount=59

and yet you dont own an xbox http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47504380&postcount=536

but you only own one of those games? so where did you play skyrim?

This is my main profile (I have three because I order games from other regions, that sometimes come with DLC codes that only work in that region): http://psnprofiles.com/danielus23

So now, cut the shit.

Cheech

I think you just can't tell if those xbones sighted or being sold daily at Amazon are anywhere near 30K/day as well as nobody knows how many PS4 preorders are fulfilled without anybody ever seeing them.

Sure you can. Just ask the person working in the game section at a big box store, or the Gamestop dude. It's not like they are going to tell you to go away, they are bored as hell and happy to have somebody to talk to that isn't crawling up their ass about not having PS4s in stock!

Dragon

Banned
Try Year Walk or The Room for iOS. Both games are much more well done and innovative than anything Nintendo or Sony have crapped out this year on handheld.

Jlaw-what.gif.pagespeed.ce.SwE-BA70Up.gif

Year Walk and The Room are good games but they don't compare to games like Zelda and Tearaway in the quality department.

Zen

Banned
You compared MM to Rare, in the context that MM has several critical successes (so does Rare) a few modest commercial successes (so does Rare), and valuable ip that have been given life outside of the original developer (so does Rare).

Not anywhere to the same degree and this is not arguable, I don't think. If you want to argue it start posting some numbers and drawing real comprisons. Thus far you're unable to take the argument on the terms that the distinction was originally contested on.

Little Big Planet 2 and Tearaway bombing didn't suddenly make MM useless, did it?

Ok now I know you're not reading my posts, since I included sales data showing how LBP2 in no way 'bombed'. It's a multi million seller on par with Rares best selling games since being bought and then being creatively purged. . Also Tearaway was made by a team of 8 people. For all this arguing you;re doing you haven't said anything to promote this concept that both studios are equally deficient a match for their platform holders.

And again LBP 2 did not bomb in the slightest. Had it bombed Sony and MM wouldn't have supported it so much post launch, in fact the next DLC pack is coming up with added abilities.

In the UK, LittleBigPlanet 2 debuted at number one on the UK All Formats chart, then fell to number two in its second week of sales.[87] According to ChartTrack, the original LittleBigPlanet sold 95 more copies than LittleBigPlanet 2 managed at it debut week.[88] LittleBigPlanet 2 remained the UK's biggest-selling PS3 game for two weeks in a row.[89] In Japan the game debuted at number five, selling 24,648 copies[90] and in North America it topped the North American software sales in its debut week.[91] LittleBigPlanet 2 was ranked number four on NPD's sales charts for January 2011,[92] selling over 353,000 units in its first couple of weeks.[93][94] On Black Friday in November 2011, LittleBigPlanet 2 sold over 400,000 copies.[95] According to SCE, LittleBigPlanet 2 was one of the most popular games on PlayStation 3 in 2011.[69]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LittleBigPlanet_2

Don't miss that detail in the quote, Little Big Planet 2 sold 400 thousand copies on Black Friday 2011, a full 10 months after it was released at retail in January of that year. Sure, Black friday usually has great sales, but for titles that bombed and/or come out 10 month prior? You think so?

I covered up nothing. Rare's critically acclaimed games bombed, their mediocre fps and their decent motion games sold well. Kinect Sports 3 is probably going to sell well, KI3 is probably selling well. They are far from useless, even if they don't have the same autonomy to do whatever they please any longer (which is overstated anyway, as Nintendo forced the DK and Star Fox ips on them, the latter to the detriment of Dinosaur Planet).

You can put lipstick on a pig all you want, Rare was nowhere near as good of a fit for Microsoft and MM has been for Sony, hence the worse sales, critical reception, and the fact that Rare lost it founders and most of its top old guard creatives while the studios was profoundly realigned.

This goes beyond 'not having the same amount of freedom', the entire purpose of the studio was changed. It's akin to the purging that happened at Sega after the Dreamcast era where the old guard who wanted to someday get another console going were shown the door.

Why bring up KI3 when it shows how little faith Microsoft has in Rare, and how ill suited Rare probably is to making such a game in its current form. Let's see how it actual does first eh? It will be a tall order for it to match the kind of performance the outsourced LBP titles have relative to platform. LBP PSP sold millions on a dead system and if we had the data I'm pretty sure LBP Vita has probably sold very well relative to other post launch Vita software.

You might want parity to be true, but it just isn't. Rare underwent a lobotomy because of it.

Being able to draw superficial parallels to critical reception and sales does not equal parity. You can do that with virtually any two random studios base on the criteria of 'critical reception' and 'sales' as long as you don't go into any details. I never said Rare is useless to Microsoft. Certainly not in their current souless form anyway.

marrec

Banned
Jlaw-what.gif.pagespeed.ce.SwE-BA70Up.gif

Year Walk and The Room are good games but they don't compare to games like Zelda and Tearaway in the quality department.

Seriously, I've played and liked both Year Walk and The Room but Tearaway is miles ahead of them in terms of innovation and quality.

AniHawk

Yeah I think Sony really dropped the ball on that one. They should have sold like 5 million units. I wonder how many are just sitting on shelves collecting dust. Perhaps they should slash the price.

they need to get more games for it first. they need wipeout and jumping flash. and whatever happened to kinetica? santa monica really dropped the ball with that franchise.

Log4Girlz

they need to get more games for it first. they need wipeout and jumping flash. and whatever happened to kinetica? santa monica really dropped the ball with that franchise.

They release Jumping Flash and the PS4 is going to make the PS2 look like a failure in the sales department.

Coxy

This is my main profile (I have three because I order games from other regions, that sometimes come with DLC codes that only work in that region): http://psnprofiles.com/danielus23

So now, cut the shit.

ok so you've played infamous and demons souls...and playing those has led you to make the argument sony's first party games are QTE fests? or are you just going on the internet complaining about games you havent played?

BigDug13

Are the units sold for the games we have next-gen share percentages for just next-gen sales?

Also isn't 300K or less for NFS bad as it was on 4 consoles?

Do most gamers (outside of this forum) even know that a NFS came out? It was strange how silent EA was about this game coming out. Press info, gameplay videos, it was all hush hush. It's like EA siphoned all the marketing dollars from NFS and spent it on BF4.

Look like? There were 155 million people that bought PS2 and like 6.9 billion that didn't. I think it's clear PS2 fell flat on its face.

LOL 10/10

ok so you've played infamous and demons souls...and playing those has led you to make the argument sony's first party games are QTE fests? or are you just going on the internet complaining about games you havent played?

your attempt at detectiveGAF severely backfired, you can stop digging the hole deeper

Do most gamers (outside of this forum) even know that a NFS came out? It was strange how silent EA was about this game coming out. Press info, gameplay videos, it was all hush hush. It's like EA siphoned all the marketing dollars from NFS and spent it on BF4.

I do find that odd. With Driveclub delayed it's easy to see the higher attach rate on PS4 but where are all the PS3/X360 sales? Thought it would've been much higher than 300K with that

Chobel

1. Call of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS3, PS4, XBO, PC, NWU) - 6.0-6.2 million units
XBO - 6.42%
PS4 - 7.39%
360 - 55.45%
PS3 - 30.42%
WIU - 0.33%

2. Battlefield 4 (360, PS3, PS4, XBO, PC) - 1.4-2.0 million units
XBO - 45.65%
PS4 - 54.35%

3. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (360, PS4, PS3, XBO, PC, NWU) - 1.1-1.3 million units
XBO - 30.95%
PS4 - 69.05%

4. Madden NFL 25 (360, PS3, PS4, XBO)
XBO - 40.12%
PS4 - 59.88%

5. Grand Theft Auto V (360, PS3) - 0.6-0.8 million Units

6. NBA 2K14
XBO - 34.84%
PS4 - 65.16%

7. Skylanders: Swap Force (WII, 360, PS3, NWU, 3DS, XBO, PS4) - >0.5 million units

8. Just Dance 2014 (WII, 360, NWU, XBO, PS3, PS4)

9. Disney Infinity (WII, 360, PS3, NWU, 3DS)

10. FIFA 2014 (360, PS3, PS4, XBO, PSV) - >0.4 million units
XBO - 35.43%
PS4 - 64.57%

XBO - 16.71%
PS4 - 48.42%
360 - 17.77%
PS3 - 17.11%

Courtesy of Creamsugar and others:

0.22-0.27 million units - Killzone: Shadowfall

0.21-0.22 million units - Dead Rising 3
0.20-0.22 million units - Super Mario 3D World
0.185-0.20 million units - Forza Motorsports 5
0.185-0.2 million units - Ryse: Son of Rome
0.09-0.10 million units - Knack

Courtesy of me:

80K < Wii < 85K
222K < Wii U < 224K

424K < PS3 < 425K
1137K < PS4 < 1138K

Thank you!

Or maybe I have other profiles for my UK and US games and content, which include my other games, like I said. Believe what you will I don't care. I was just trying to show you that identifying posters via their usernames is fucking dumb.

Pociask

I hope no one is still surprised as to why WiiU is getting no more third party support.

I hear you, sort of... but maybe not? I guess it would depend how much it costs to port the game over. With sales like that, it will probably end up with 40-50k Wii U (sales assuming it has a similar December - frankly not a strong assumption, since CoD is front loaded). So let's say 40k, 60 dollars a sale - does that cover costs and preserve mindshare in case the wii u miraculusly recovers? I don't know.

Sami+

Except they are fresh. Lot of great ideas. I wish you could see that if you played them.

To people who play and enjoy the games, the differences are more substantial.

Mario looks like Mario to me. Not because it isn't objectively fresh and full of unique ideas for the series, but because I don't generally care for Mario and the stuff you see as awesome and new I see as a neat little nuance that ultimately doesn't entice me to view the game any differently from its predecessors.

Don't get me wrong, Mario's a good fucking game, and it deserves to sell well. I'll probably enjoy it when I play multiplayer with my friends. But as it is, I think Galaxy is a far more ambitious and eye-catching title.

My main point isn't to say that Mario isn't new or anything, but I just want to voice some support for SmokeyDave's argument. Don't bitch about sequels if you're going to rep sequels.

tl;dr
Mario's cat suit may be awesome to you, but it's "eh" to me.
Playing as a cop in Need For Speed Rivals may be "eh" to you, but it's one of the biggest selling points for me.

One man's trash bla bla bla. The "Nintendo is the only unique one" argument is fucking asinine and I'm sick of it.

Majanew

Banned
That dude must live near some Target at the corner of Bumfuck and Hicksville, because I live in a metro area with >1 million people and have never seen a PS4 in the wild. Targets, Walmarts, Gamestops, Best Buys, Bupkis.

It's in Alpharetta, GA. You probably couldn't afford to live over here.

Sean

Banned
Hmm neither? It's not the Wii part of the name that's hurting it, it's the "U"

If they had done Super Wii or Wii 2 and marketed it correctly it could've turned out better for it

Honestly though it's marketing and the gamepad approach

Too expensive and too gimmicky without any significantly compelling game use cases for it

The "Wii U" name has nothing to do with it IMO. Consumers aren't that dumb, nobody gets confused about the iPhone 5, 5S, 5C. The iPhone 4 and 4S looked the exact same but everyone knew the 4S was the new one. Apple didn't have to call it the "Super iPhone" for people to realize it was a new prooduct, their marketing department actually did their job.

Wii U's problems are marketing and the simple fact that Nintendo created an undesirable console. Nobody cares about the GamePad, if anything it's a turn-off for most people.

Oddduck

I'm curious about Wii Party U. This game was kinda bombing in October NPD. What happened in November? Did this game do anything sales wise?

Can we confirm that this game was a flop?

GAMERG0D

I'm curious about Wii Party U. This game was kinda bombing in October NPD. What happened in November? Did this game do anything sales wise?

Can we confirm that this game was a flop?
Since Mario did 220k, I wouldn't expect Wii Party U to break that last month.

The "Wii U" name has nothing to do with it IMO. Consumers aren't that dumb, nobody gets confused about the iPhone 5, 5S, 5C. The iPhone 4 and 4S looked the exact same but everyone knew the 4S was the new one. Apple didn't have to call it the "Super iPhone" for people to realize it was a new prooduct, their marketing department actually did their job.

Wii U's problems are marketing and the simple fact that Nintendo created an undesirable console. Nobody cares about the GamePad, if anything it's a turn-off for most people.

Video game consoles do not have the same inroads into consumer perception that iphones do and such a comparison is fundamentally flawed .

The average consumer wants to hear about the new iphone and will learn about it from every angle (ads, live news, internet news, friends, co-workers etc.). Video game consoles do not enjoy the same exposure in any sense or form. The average consumer will not go out of their way to learn what a new video game console is and offers. It is far more dependent on first impressions and advertising/marketing.

Hence why I think the name is terrible. The average consumer when it hears the name and sees the advertisement could very easily be under the impression that the Wii U is not a new console but an attachment and entirely ignore it from then on.

I certainly agree though that the Gamepad is Wii U's fundamental flaw from a hardware standpoint at present

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Hard to get retail space, favor when you're not selling a lot of software as that's where retailers make money on consoles

Only way to sell software is to move hardware

It's a real catch 22 scenario. Nintendo really needed 3rd party support this gen and they honestly failed to achieve anything even remotely near the support required

Shield and Ouya may be the only hardware that sold less than the Vita

Swift, I'm not sure how retail space has to do with putting a Wii U logo on the Call of Duty Ghosts signs. BestBuy.com, most of the posters plastered for Call of Duty in stores, etc. list all the platforms but the Wii U. If anything, it's pretty much assumed to be on PS3/PS4/360/XB1, but having a Wii U version isn't that obvious. Why wouldn't you just put a logo? You spent money on developing the Wii U version, but can't stick a couple images on a website or a banner that already is advertising every other version? At the very least it couldn't hurt. If a logo could net me a couple thousand more copies due to awareness, why wouldn't you do it?

Cheech

Man those handheld comparisons are depressing. I love my S3 but I don't want it to become my only gaming choice on the go.

The writing was on the wall years ago when Jobs stood on stage and unveiled the iPhone.

That's why they call them "game changers". Sony and Nintendo are hanging on to a business model whose expiration date starting ticking at that moment.

People do not want to carry around two devices. They just don't. As for the younger gen; when you go into a restaurant and a kid is playing on an electronic device, is it more likely to be an Android Tablet/iPad/iPod Touch, or a 3DS?

That is another reason why the Wii U is such a failure. It's like a DS except it needs to be wirelessly tethered to the base unit. Nobody wants that shit. It's like two antiquated business models in one!

Again, it seems like I am just bombs away on Nintendo here, but it's not like I find it gratifying. My NES will always be special to me. But that company has clearly lost its way and is out of ideas.

Seriously, I've played and liked both Year Walk and The Room but Tearaway is miles ahead of them in terms of innovation and quality.

The Room and Year Walk both reviewed just as well as Tearaway.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

We had numbers in October for Wii Party U, and I think Arkham Origins managed to outsell it in October.... So Wii Party U sold at most like 10k in October? I'm sure some folks may have bought it for a free Wiimote now, so maybe Wii Party U picked up a bit (like 50k or something).

Oddduck

Oh I get that.

It's just that in October NPD, Creamsugar said Wii Party U did worse than Batman U (which is horrific): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89941564&postcount=908

I was curious to see how much worse Wii Party U did this month. Mainly because that was Nintendo's 2nd biggest Wii U game of the holiday season.

We could be seeing the end of Nintendo doing tons of mini game compilations after the sales of Mario Party 3DS, Game & Wario, and Wii Party U.

Swift, I'm not sure how retail space has to do with putting a Wii U logo on the Call of Duty Ghosts signs. BestBuy.com, most of the posters plastered for Call of Duty in stores, etc. list all the platforms but the Wii U. If anything, it's pretty much assumed to be on PS3/PS4/360/XB1, but having a Wii U version isn't that obvious. Why wouldn't you just put a logo? You spent money on developing the Wii U version, but can't stick a couple images on a website or a banner that already is advertising every other version? At the very least it couldn't hurt. If a logo could net me a couple thousand more copies due to awareness, why wouldn't you do it?

Wow hadn't heard of that yet. I agree full heartedly that if you're already making the sign it's illogical to not include all platforms. That is actually very very troubling.

One might say that Activision was hedging their bets and was unsure whether they were making a Wii U version at all but a port would've required time to make and the decision would've been made before the advertising for ghosts.

I honestly have no idea why they didn't include the platform. It seems Activision doesn't care about the Wii U port at all. I have no idea why they bothered to make it then

Zinthar

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Wii U version missing all of the DLC maps, with no plans to ever release them on that platform? From what we saw after the Black Ops 2 launch, the player base for that game on Wii U was so anemic that you'd almost certainly have trouble finding a match if you were interested in playing one of the more rare game modes outside of prime time. For most intents and purposes, it sounds like it's easily the worst version.

How many people are out there who own a Wii U, but don't have any of 360/PS3/XBO/PS4/PC, AND who are interested in Call of Duty? If this is the market that they're losing, it's a tiny one. At the same time, they might be reasonably concerned that someone who owns a 360 or PS3 might buy a Wii U as their "next-gen" console and assume that it's the better platform for their CoD fix, only to later find that they can't buy the DLC -- then you just have an annoyed customer and a missed sales opportunity.

Top Bottom