• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

marrec

Banned
The Room and Year Walk both reviewed just as well as Tearaway.

Apples and Oranges really. You cannot compare reviews because they were mostly reviewed by different outlets. Phone game have lessor expectations based on their peers. Not that Year Walk didn't deserve praise (or The Room) but neither were anywhere near the quality of Tearaway.

That said, Edge gave The Room an 8/10 and Year Walk a 9/10 and Tearaway a 9/10.

allan-bh

NFS Rivals sales:

PS4 < 145k
360 < 53k
PS3 < 51k
XBO < 50k

Really bad on last gen. Drive Club delay prevented to be even worse overall.

Lumyst

Oh I get that.

It's just that in October, Creamsugar said Wii Party U did worse than Batman U (which is horrific): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=89941564&postcount=908

So I guess I was curious to see how much worse Wii Party U did this month. Mainly because that was Nintendo's 2nd biggest Wii U game of the holiday season.

Oh wow, I didn't see that before. (I literally just gasped.) The WiiU's marketing push this period was for "Family fun together" and for a game that focuses on the gamepad, and is meant for that "Family Fun together", to bomb, means this strategy has failed. I myself wanted to look at sales of 3D World and Wii Party U to figure out the state of the WiiU. I know my answer now: the gamepad doesn't resonate with the expanded audience, and the current owners of the WiiU (those who bought NSMBU and their WiiU last year) aren't interested in using their machine, not even for "More Mario". So it's questionable how much Nintendo can profit off of the userbase, let alone keep the userbase interested in using their WiiU's.

NFS Rivals sales:

PS4 < 145k
360 < 53k
PS3 < 51k
XBO < 50k

Yep NFS is pretty much a bomba I would say, maybe too early to tell

If Driveclub hadn't been delayed it would likely have done 225K - 240K if not less due to DC PS+ edition

Can't imagine EA is happy with those numbers

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
NFS Rivals sales:

PS4 < 145k
360 < 53k
PS3 < 51k
XBO < 50k

For comparison: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=503054

07. Need For Speed: Most Wanted 2012 (PS3, 360, PSV, PC) Electronic Arts - 509K

Hot Pursuit: 417K

The Run: Definitely worse than Hot Pursuit.

Rivals: < 299K

I'm curious if it will pick up in December as more people get next-gen boxes.

MoosiferX

The "Wii U" name has nothing to do with it IMO. Consumers aren't that dumb, nobody gets confused about the iPhone 5, 5S, 5C. The iPhone 4 and 4S looked the exact same but everyone knew the 4S was the new one. Apple didn't have to call it the "Super iPhone" for people to realize it was a new prooduct, their marketing department actually did their job.

Wii U's problems are marketing and the simple fact that Nintendo created an undesirable console. Nobody cares about the GamePad, if anything it's a turn-off for most people.

While I agree it's a marketing issue, there's a considerable number of people (especially parents) that I deal with quite regularly at my shop that have no idea that the WiiU is different than the Wii. A "Wii 2" type name may have helped that. It wouldn't have solved everything, but yeah.

Cheech

Phone game have lessor expectations based on their peers.

Game Informer and IGN both reviewed them highly.

Two years ago you might have been correct. It really wasn't until 2012 or so where legit games starting coming en masse to iOS and Android.

They're really good games, and definitely good enough to make people not want to carry around a second device whose sole purpose is to play games that need a D pad and buttons. We've gone way past Fruit Ninja type quick hitter crap, but even so, that is good enough for many people who want to play something on the go.

I am sure that Sony thought that they would ride the Wii U's coattails with the Vita/PS4 integration. Now that the Wii U is selling as poorly as any poorly selling console has ever sold, I am positive the Vita is going to catch a bullet next year. There is literally zero market for either of those two systems.

I am totally perplexed as to why Rivals does not have split screen functionality. Those games SCREAM for local multiplayer. For me, it's a non-buy due to that.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Wow hadn't heard of that yet. I agree full heartedly that if you're already making the sign it's illogical to not include all platforms. That is actually very very troubling.

One might say that Activision was hedging their bets and was unsure whether they were making a Wii U version at all but a port would've required time to make and the decision would've been made before the advertising for ghosts.

I honestly have no idea why they didn't include the platform. It seems Activision doesn't care about the Wii U port at all. I have no idea why they bothered to make it then

It seems like those have been corrected when I just checked (the Wii U version not being present). I understand that it was only revealed later to be on Wii U (which I think was a stupid move likely on Nintendo's part), but it took a while for any site to update that information.

Oh wow, I didn't see that before. (I literally just gasped.) The WiiU's marketing push this period was for "Family fun together" and for a game that focuses on the gamepad, and is meant for that "Family Fun together", to bomb, means this strategy has failed. I myself wanted to look at sales of 3D World and Wii Party U to figure out the state of the WiiU. I know my answer now: the gamepad doesn't resonate with the expanded audience, and the current owners of the WiiU (those who bought NSMBU and their WiiU last year) aren't interested in using their machine, not even for "More Mario". So it's questionable how much Nintendo can profit off of the userbase, let alone keep the userbase interested in using their WiiU's.

Well did they ever advertise Wii Party U? I guess I saw some Wayne Brady ads online, so I figure they played them somewhere on TV. If the NSMBU/2012 Wii U crowd all decided to put away their Wii Us, hopefully the 220k that bought 3D World will start enlarging the active Wii U userbase a bit, along with I guess the Pikmin 3 crowd (the only other title that launched over 100k in 2013 for the Wii U and has DLC to keep the fanbase engaged).

I am sure that Sony thought that they would ride the Wii U's coattails with the Vita/PS4 integration. Now that the Wii U is selling as poorly as any poorly selling console has ever sold, I am positive the Vita is going to catch a bullet next year. There is literally zero market for either of those two systems.

Sony was desperate to turn the vita around and had little recourse. Remote play is something they've been trying since 2006 so I seriously doubt it was trying to emulate Wii U's "amazing success" to save the vita.

It's more likely they had many board meetings to try and come up with tactics to turn the vita around without costing the company massive amounts of money. Remote play fits that nicely but obviously doesn't matter to most people by the numbers.

I do think the Vita is done for the most part. The numbers just don't work. Tearaway's sales hit harder to me then even the Vita numbers even after digital is factored in

Jeels

NFS Rivals sales:

PS4 < 145k
360 < 53k
PS3 < 51k
XBO < 50k

Man, I wonder what things would be like if companies like EA didn't accept money hats. EA must be thinking they've made a terrible mistake trying to hedge their bets on a console before sales even start coming in.

curb

Banned
Man, I wonder what things would be like if companies like EA didn't accept money hats. EA must be thinking they've made a terrible mistake trying to hedge their bets on a console before sales even start coming in.

Well, EA did pledge to back the Wii U as well. It seems like they're not making the best calls with there partnerships as of late.

Sony was desperate to turn the vita around and had little recourse. Remote play is something they've been trying since 2006 so I seriously doubt it was trying to emulate Wii U's "amazing success" to save the vita.

It's more likely they had many board meetings to try and come up with tactics to turn the vita around without costing the company massive amounts of money. Remote play fits that nicely but obviously doesn't matter to most people by the numbers.

I do think the Vita is done for the most part. The numbers just don't work. Tearaway's sales hit harder to me then even the Vita numbers even after digital is factored in

Don't you feel like tearaway was sent out to die by SCEA? No advertisement whatsoever. When I went to pick it up at Best Buy on Black Friday it wasn't even on shelves or in the back. Plus it launched against two next gen consoles, Super Mario 3D World, and Zelda. Given that, the crappy sales are almost a given, and one would think that a game this good would have some legs through word of mouth, etc.

Cheech

I just don't know what the next leap for these consoles was going to be. Nintendo has to crack it or at least get in on the ground floor, or they are going to Atari themselves.

The most ominous part to the entire NPD release was "software sales are down 24% year on year". Now, I'm hoping there is a rational reason for that that doesn't have to do with the traditional console market shrinking. For example, people have put their brakes on buying games for the older systems while they save up for the new ones. Who knows.

The most interesting tech out there right now, to me, is Oculus Rift. But it is not mass market technology. I do not think we are going to live in the "Ready Player One" universe (read it, it's an excellent book!) where everyone is sitting around with goggles attached to their heads while exploring Skyrim-type worlds.

Then again, maybe that is where we are going as a society. You look around in restaurants and everyone is on their phones instead of talking to each other. It is weird, and not a pleasant thing to see. As I am pushing 40, though, it's possible I'm in one of the last generations that is put off by that behavior.

Zen

Banned
Yeah I don't know where the Vita goes from here. If Sony can justify it as a niche platform that's great, I will certainly play it, but the prospect that any first party software released for it will almost certainly be a loss leader? That's pretty unappetizing for the company.

They will at least keep it around, I think, until we will see if the VitaTV helps them any in American and Europe. Indies have had disproportional success on the platform so as long as they aren't losing a lot per unit, maybe they can just let it continue like that.

Another option would/should be to aggressively court studios like gameloft etc But this was something that should have happened from day one. I can't see those kinds of studios even bothering now.

Why is it that we're seeing traditional console developers releasing IOS/Android games all the time now but they aren't putting in virtually no extra money to make a Vita version? Forget about PSM (which isn't up to par and is Sony's biggest mistake imo), porting it over Deus Ex: Phone game to Vita would have cost Edios nothing to do and you'd have gotten dedicated gamers looking at it.

Phades

Even figuring in the digital market, it doesn't look good as a stand alone device. The remote play and vita TV companion items seem to be there as value adds and allow it to remain on life support for the remainder of the generation. The question will remain as to if developers and retailers will continue to devote time and space towards the platform at all in the upcoming years.

Personally, I don't see phones/tablets as the primary cause of the contraction with both the vita and the 3ds, but supplemental factors. For the vita specifically, the disjoining it from the PSP format and no carried over titles hurt it a bit opposed to the 3ds being backwards compatible allowing the older titles to carry it with the newer games there to try and showcase how the new 3d tech can work (if you want it). The global economy is a factor as well, since items like the PSvita would be completely non-essential when viewed side by side with a smart phone at a similar price point (before telephone contracts are considered). So, if there is a limited budget and a choice has to be made that involves entertainment, the choice seems like a no brainer to me. The proprietary memory card solution did the vita platform no favors either, especially when compared against the DS family and generic flash card use for supplementary functions.

It is hard to say what would be done in order to keep devices like the Vita relevant going forward. Moving to a google glass style solution can be a gimick that can help in terms of how the game is interacted with, in addition to actually making the device a phone for functionality (combined option putting it in more comparable terms with regular smart phones/mobile devices) instead of allowing for phone device emulation via apps (skype in previous offerings). Although I could see Sony just dropping the mobile platform entirely come the end of the current home console cycle in ~2020-2023.

Endo Punk

So XB1 is likely to take no.1 spot for Dec NPD. Will the software sales follow or will they still lead on PS4 as far as next gen systems go?

Lumyst

hopefully the 220k that bought 3D World will start enlarging the active Wii U userbase a bit, along with I guess the Pikmin 3 crowd (the only other title that launched over 100k in 2013 for the Wii U and has DLC to keep the fanbase engaged).

As well as the people who just recently bought the Wind Waker bundle, I'm hoping, but I worry that if 3D Mario's ceiling is around 250K then the ceiling for the more "effortful" titles such as X and Bayonetta 2 will be much lower and the business incentive for making those games would be lessened. I will have to hope that even if games such as X and Bayonetta 2 do not make back development costs, that they at least contribute positively to the overall image and perception of the Nintendo Console venture in the long run (that is, if investors would be forgiving of such an expensive way to let people know that Nintendo consoles offer them more than just Mario games :p) and other benefits, such as giving Nintendo practice in making those big HD games. There's also been an influx of 3DS owners who I'm hoping will buy more games next year as well, if they pull a NSMBU and stop at Pokemon and Zelda it'll suck so much.

Yeah I don't know where the Vita goes from here. If Sony can justify it as a niche platform that's great, I will certainly play it, but the prospect that any first party software released for it will almost certainly be a loss leader? That's pretty unappetizing for the company.

They will at least keep it around, I think, until we will see if the VitaTV helps them any in American and Europe. Indies have had disproportional success on the platform so as long as they aren't losing a lot per unit, maybe they can just let it continue like that.

Another option would/should be to aggressively court studios like gameloft etc But this was something that should have happened from day one. I can't see those kinds of studios even bothering now.

Why is it that we're seeing traditional console developers releasing IOS/Android games all the time now but they aren't putting in virtually no extra money to make a Vita version? Forget about PSM (which isn't up to par and is Sony's biggest mistake imo), porting it over Deus Ex: Phone game to Vita would have cost Edios nothing to do and you'd have gotten dedicated gamers looking at it.

I don't think first party games will necessarily be a loss leader. The vita has a crazy high attach rate, and since most sales(mort mentions 60%) are digital, sony actually gets a much larger cut per sale, so they need to sell less. In this article, approximately 40 percent of the cost of the video game is retail/distribution/etc, but when its sold on the sony online store all that goes to Sony. A digital sale probably is worth ~2 retail, and since vita is mostly digital, it'll need to sell less copies per game for the game to be profitable.

Not anywhere to the same degree and this is not arguable. If you want to argue it start posting some numbers.

Ok now I know you're not reading my posts, since I included sales data showing how LBP2 in no way 'bombed'. It's a multi million seller on par with Rares best selling games since being bought and then being creatively purged. It's telling that you're unable to even address what I've been saying or to take the argument on the terms that the distinction was originally contested on. Also Tearaway was made by a team of 8 people. For all this arguing you;re doing you haven't said anything to promote this concept that both studios are equally deficient a match for their platform holders.

And again LBP 2 did not bomb in the slightest. Had it bombed Sony and MM wouldn't have supported it so much post launch, in fact the next DLC pack is coming up with added abilities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LittleBigPlanet_2

Don't miss that detail in the quote, Little Big Planet 2 sold 400 thousand copies on Black Friday 2011, a full 10 months after it debut at retail in January of that year. Sure, Black friday usually has great sales, but for titles that bombed and/or 10 month prior? You think so?

You can put lipstick on a pig all you want, Rare was nowhere near as good of a fit for Microsoft and MM has been for Sony, hence the worse sales, critical reception, and the fact that Rare lost it founders and most of its top old guard creatives while the studios was profoundly realigned.

This goes beyond 'not having the same amount of freedom', the entire purpose of the studio was changed. It's akin to the purging that happened at Sega after the Dreamcast era where the old guard who wanted to someday get another console going were shown the door.

I don't even need to touch the comment about KI3, but why even bring it up when it shows how little faith Microsoft has in Rare, and how ill suited Rare probably is to making such a game in its current form. Let's see how it actual does first eh? It will be a tall order for it to match the kind of performance the outsourced LBP titles have relative to platform. LBP PSP sold millions on a dead system and if we had the data I'm pretty sure LBP Vita has probably sold very well relative to other post launch Vita software.

You might want parity to be true, but it just isn't. Rare underwent a lobotomy because of it.

Being able to draw superficial parallels to 'critical reception' and 'sales' does equate parity.

There is nothing superficial about comparing sales in a sales thread.

Kinect Sports 1 is over 3 million units, and won BAFTA family goty. (source: wiki)

Kinect Sports 2 is at or near the same, as they announced the total franchise is over 6 million. (source: videogamer.com)

The "brain drain" is irrelevant. They make decent games that sell a lot, that's all MS asks of them. They have ip that gamers are fond of, that's all MS needs to shop out to a credible developer (hence, KI, and probably Perfect Dark in the near future). They also were a big part of making avatars a thing on 360, and they are releasing the first Kinect 2 game that anyone cares about in the spring.

The old rare is dead. Barely anyone cares, or they would have bought Banjo and Viva when they had the chance.

My mistake on LBP 2, I must have been thinking about the Vita version or Karting.

AniHawk

vita's going to get a bunch of niche japanese games in 2014. music/idol/dancing games (persona, neptunia), some rpgs (demon gaze, disgaea 4 (probably)), text/adventure games (dangan ronpa, maybe corpse party), monster hunter esque games (god eater, freedom wars), and that'll be about it. you can forget about multiplatform support from activision, ubisoft, and ea unless there's some deals being struck. there's no coming back from doing worse than sega saturn. it'll be a fight for a small userbase in 2014 among small publishers and they'll springboard to mobile, the 3ds, or ps4 in 2015.

So XB1 is likely to take no.1 spot for Dec NPD. Will the software sales follow or will they still lead on PS4 as far as next gen systems go?

John Harker posted earlier that attach rates were about equal for the two, at around 2 games per console. I don't know if that statement has been amended or updated by anyone else to any real degree.

If that's the case, it stands to reason that whatever console sells more next month will also sell more software, at least to new owners. To whatever degree November buyers go out and buy more software in December, that could shift things a bit. In the end, if attach rates stay largely equal, then software habits can only be assumed to be equal on a macro level.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I just don't know what the next leap for these consoles was going to be. Nintendo has to crack it or at least get in on the ground floor, or they are going to Atari themselves.

The most ominous part to the entire NPD release was "software sales are down 24% year on year". Now, I'm hoping there is a rational reason for that that doesn't have to do with the traditional console market shrinking. For example, people have put their brakes on buying games for the older systems while they save up for the new ones. Who knows.

The most interesting tech out there right now, to me, is Oculus Rift. But it is not mass market technology. I do not think we are going to live in the "Ready Player One" universe (read it, it's an excellent book!) where everyone is sitting around with goggles attached to their heads while exploring Skyrim-type worlds.

Then again, maybe that is where we are going as a society. You look around in restaurants and everyone is on their phones instead of talking to each other. It is weird, and not a pleasant thing to see. As I am pushing 40, though, it's possible I'm in one of the last generations that is put off by that behavior.

Do those software numbers include digital downloads btw? The "software sales are down 24%"?

Phatcorns

Video game consoles do not have the same inroads into consumer perception that iphones do and such a comparison is fundamentally flawed .

The average consumer wants to hear about the new iphone and will learn about it from every angle (ads, live news, internet news, friends, co-workers etc.). Video game consoles do not enjoy the same exposure in any sense or form. The average consumer will not go out of their way to learn what a new video game console is and offers. It is far more dependent on first impressions and advertising/marketing.

Hence why I think the name is terrible. The average consumer when it hears the name and sees the advertisement could very easily be under the impression that the Wii U is not a new console but an attachment and entirely ignore it from then on.

I certainly agree though that the Gamepad is Wii U's fundamental flaw from a hardware standpoint at present

Nailed it.

Zona

That dude must live near some Target at the corner of Bumfuck and Hicksville, because I live in a metro area with >1 million people and have never seen a PS4 in the wild. Targets, Walmarts, Gamestops, Best Buys, Bupkis.

Hicksville
is a suburb of NYC located on long island with a pop of 41K. Heh

Cheech

That's the billion dollar question. Will the Xbone take a similar trajectory as the 360, and sell on the merit of "I want to buy and play what my friends have", or will the PS4 be able to yank mindshare away? The US is kind of unique in that regard, and it will be fun to watch unfold over this next year as supply stabilizes for both systems.

PS4 taking a big ole shit on everything else. Good to see.

Wii U did a lot more than I expected, but still did horrible biz. Mario 3D World must have been a total bobomba... more surprised Zelda seemingly was as well though.

Things are gonna be very interesting next year :)

What makes you say that? We can only guess at supply numbers, and even though it's a fair guess that Microsoft will ship more to the US, that doesn't guarantee higher sales.

Chobel

According to the sale numbers we have, both consoles have almost the same software attach rate. So if this continues, the console selling better should also has the better software sales.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
As well as the people who just recently bought the Wind Waker bundle, I'm hoping, but I worry that if 3D Mario's ceiling is around 250K then the ceiling for the more "effortful" titles such as X and Bayonetta 2 will be much lower and the business incentive for making those games would be lessened. I will have to hope that even if games such as X and Bayonetta 2 do not make back development costs, that they at least contribute positively to the overall image and perception of the Nintendo Console venture in the long run (that is, if investors would be forgiving of such an expensive way to let people know that Nintendo consoles offer them more than just Mario games :p) and other benefits, such as giving Nintendo practice in making those big HD games. There's also been an influx of 3DS owners who I'm hoping will buy more games next year as well, if they pull a NSMBU and stop at Pokemon and Zelda it'll suck so much.

You do realize that Mario games typically have legs right? I don't think its ceiling is 250k, unless you're talking about launch month (it was pretty much launch week in this case). I think it's important to see whether these games have proper legs, which overall increases software sales for the Wii U. If Wii U owners play 3D World with their friends, like it a lot, and thus get 3D World for themselves, it could slowly build some momentum.

For example, 3D World in Japan sold only 100k on the first week. However, it's managed to sell 40k in the second week, and then 40k again on its third week thanks to the holiday bump of the Wii U in general. If 3D World sales continue to increase with Wii U sales, at least in Japan it could do ok.

Don't you feel like tearaway was sent out to die by SCEA? No advertisement whatsoever. When I went to pick it up at Best Buy on Black Friday it wasn't even on shelves or in the back. Plus it launched against two next gen consoles, Super Mario 3D World, and Zelda. Given that, the crappy sales are almost a given, and one would think that a game this good would have some legs through word of mouth, etc.

Yep it's timing was terrible although 3D World timing was bad too

Eh NPD doesn't track digital sales does it? Push for digital is big. I wouldn't be surprised if that 24% number is more telling of NPD's impending irrelevance

OR is by far the most compelling tech at present that I've seen but it's never going to have mass-market appeal. It's never going to be cheap enough. Maybe OR 2 or something but even though I have my doubts.

Future is intriguing. I expect games as a service continues as we end up with thin clients next gen or maybe the gen after that instead of proper consoles. Have a subscription service to play games etc.

quetz67

Banned

Anyway 300k in one region first month probably means a worldwide million seller, not really a flop. Also many here got the digital version as the boxed version was not available.

This is what they should be doing, positioning the Vita as a serviceable niche device. This allows them to rid the perception of succeeding by huge numbers (LT), edging out a profit in the process and providing an acceptable deal of support for Vita owners in addition to continue sustaining those high attach rates.

Chances of XB1 taking no 1 spot is slim to none

I wouldn't say that, either. The theory is that Sony is trying to supply stock worldwide, but Microsoft will focus more heavily on the US, so based on better in stock, XB1 has a chance to sell more here.

But we don't know, period. We don't know manufacturing capability or country priority. We will see.

Saty

Any % comparisons for sequels of this year's installment versus the last one, including the next-gen skus? (BF4 vs BF3, AC4 vs AC3 etc.)

What makes you say that? We can only guess at supply numbers, and even though it's a fair guess that Microsoft will ship more to the US, that doesn't guarantee higher sales.

huh? based on what account?

famousmortimer said this earlier.

Shipments.

Asia is getting 500k for their launch this week. They will sell out there. They would also sell out here. Sony clearly is going for the jugular in the rest of the world and it seems clear to me that MS cares about the US and UK and that's about it. Because they want to sell services and people will buy NFL in the US... they won't in Taiwan.

Ps4 was about 200k over xb1. Barely moved 100k the rest of the month after launch. Sacrificing huge NA lead for huge WW lead. Xb1 will win December in NA.

curb

Banned
Chances of Xbox One taking top spot is more like "ship to stores."

Whoever ships more, sells more. I have no idea which way the shipping battle is going based off some of the things I've read in this thread.

Microsoft really seems to be focusing their stock on the American market while Sony is still launching the PS4 in new countries. I think there's a good chance that the XB1 will outsell PS4 in the States in December but I think Sony will likely sell more worldwide.

Pain

Banned
Sony has a large shipment this Sunday for all major retailers. I wouldn't be so sure about that anymore.

Frillen

PS4 taking a big ole shit on everything else. Good to see.

Wii U did a lot more than I expected, but still did horrible biz. Mario 3D World must have been a total bobomba... more surprised Zelda seemingly was as well though.

Things are gonna be very interesting next year :)

Zelda was very far from being a bomb.

Top Bottom