• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2013 [Up3: Zelda, Pokemon, Mario, 3DS, Wii U]

LTD Sell-through (USA) as of November 2013:

Wii U LTD: 1.61 million - 1.63 million

PS4 LTD: 1.14 million

XBO LTD: 0.91 million

Let's assume the best case scenario and Wii U manages 400K in December (that 223K figure has made me way too cynical for anything above that):

Wii U LTD (December 2013): 2.01 million - 2.03 million

PS4 would have to sell 0.87 million - 0.89 million next month to surpass Wii U LTD.

XBO would have to sell 1.10 million - 1.12 million next month to surpass Wii U LTD.

Given that Microsoft has stuffed the USA, consoles typically do better in December, and Sony is frantically trying to replenish stock...I believe that by the end of 2013, both PS4 and Xbox One will have surpassed Wii U LTD in the USA.

ascii42

Wii U LTD: 1.61 million - 1.63 million

PS4 LTD: 1.14 million

XBO LTD: 0.91 million

Let's assume the best case scenario and Wii U manages 400K in December (that 223K has made me way too cynical for anything above that):

Wii U LTD: 2.01 million - 2.03 million

PS4 would have to sell 0.87 million - 0.89 million next month to surpass Wii U LTD.

XBO would have to sell 1.10 million - 1.12 million next month to surpass Wii U LTD.

Given that Microsoft has stuffed the USA, consoles typically do better in December, and Sony is frantically trying to replenish stock...I believe that by the end of 2013, both PS4 and Xbox One will have surpassed Wii U LTD.
Yipe! Sounds reasonable. PS4 may be ahead of the WiiU worldwide by the end of the month, too. Or at least, it'll be close.

breakfuss

NPD reporting period: November 3rd - November 30th (28 days)

Xbox One (November 2013):
November 22nd - November 30th: 9 days of tracking
Sales: 909,132

PS4 (November 2013):
November 15th - November 30th: 16 days of tracking
Sales: 1,138,000

Therefore:

909,132 / 9 = 101,014 Xbox One consoles sold per day on average
1,138,000 / 16 = 71,125 PS4 consoles sold per day on average

It's a misleading statement that gives you the false impression Xbox One sold better.

Ok, so is it or is not the fastest selling? *Being serious*

Tripon

Yipe! Sounds reasonable. PS4 may be ahead of the WiiU worldwide by the end of the month, too. Or at least, it'll be close.

Doubt it by Dec, There's already 4 million Wii U's globally. Now the PS4 can easily do it by Jan if they still sell a million per month.

Zinthar

Ok, so is it or is not the fastest selling? *Being serious*

Depends on what time horizon you look at. PS4 has the best first-day sales of any console, but the XBO technicality is that they sold more for the number of days in the month that it was "available" (although by available, we really mean not available in the case of these consoles). I don't think "fastest-selling" should be applied to time horizons this short when sales are almost entirely limited by production quantities.

orion434

NPD reporting period: November 3rd - November 30th (28 days)

Xbox One (November 2013):
November 22nd - November 30th: 9 days of tracking
Sales: 909,132

PS4 (November 2013):
November 15th - November 30th: 16 days of tracking
Sales: 1,138,000

Therefore:

909,132 / 9 = 101,014 Xbox One consoles sold per day on average
1,138,000 / 16 = 71,125 PS4 consoles sold per day on average

It's a misleading statement that gives you the false impression Xbox One sold better.

That's not a valid definition of "fastest selling" 1 million in 1 day is faster than 909K in 9 days, if the Xbox One sold 101K on average for 9 days that would be considered "consistent selling" but I'm sure most of their sales were sold on launch day.

The 3ds is only at 10.5 million? Seems pretty low compared to other handhelds(Nintendos especially) no?

I doubt the 3ds will even reach GBA worldwide numbers or even PSP numbers in north america :/

breakfuss

That's not a valid definition of "fastest selling" 1 million in 1 day is faster than 909K in 9 days, if the Xbox One sold 101K on average for 9 days that would be considered "consistent selling" but I'm sure most of their sales were sold on launch day.

Isn't this for November? I'm not disagreeing with you guys, lol, they're obviously putting these number on spin cycle. I just don't think it's necessarily "deceptive".

JLeack

Banned
The fact that the Xbox One sold that much is really amazing. All I've been seeing is negative stuff about it on NeoGAF. You'd think it sold less than 100,000.

Busaiku

The 3ds is only at 10.5 million? Seems pretty low compared to other handhelds(Nintendos especially) no?

I doubt the 3ds will even reach GBA worldwide numbers or even PSP numbers in north america :/

US PSP numbers are absolutely achievable.
GBA definitely seems like an impossibility in the US.

Pain

Banned
The system is still $200. Imagine how it will sell when it goes down to $100. It should boom enough to make it past PS2 within a year or so, methinks. Maybe two.
Market is saturated. Console will be in heavy decline YoY especially with next-gen selling so fast. Little Johnny wants an Xbox One or PS4 not a Xbox 360 or PS3.

ascii42

what do you guys expect for 3ds worldwide numbers?

My guess is it'll get around the PSP's numbers (80-ish million), but it depends heavily on when Nintendo decides to release a successor. If Sony doesn't come out with a successor for the Vita (a distinct possibility at this point), they'll probably sit on the 3DS for a long time.

Top 10 NPD threads by amount of posts:

1) November 2013 - 5,084 posts, 531,189 views
2) January 2013 - 4,596 posts, 365,025 views
3) November 2010 - 3,563 posts, 231,795 views
4) April 2008 - 3,517 posts, 263,584 views
5) November 2008 - 3,450 posts, 327,342 views
6) October 2008 - 3,262 posts, 224,970 views
7) February 2013 - 3,024 posts, 270,134 views
8) December 2008 - 2,899 posts, 253,713 views
9) April 2007 - 2,839 posts, 204,620 views
10) June 2009 - 2,803 posts, 194,635 views

Top 10 NPD threads by post numbers:

1) November 2013 - 5,084 posts, 531,189 views
2) January 2013 - 4,596 posts, 365,025 views
3) November 2010 - 3,563 posts, 231,795 views
4) April 2008 - 3,517 posts, 263,584 views
5) November 2008 - 3,450 posts, 327,342 views
6) October 2008 - 3,262 posts, 224,970 views
7) February 2013 - 3,024 posts, 270,134 views
8) December 2008 - 2,899 posts, 253,713 views
9) April 2008 - 2,839 posts, 204,620 views
10) June 2009 - 2,803 posts, 194,635 views

A NEW RECORD!

The fact that the Xbox One sold that much is really amazing. All I've been seeing is negative stuff about it on NeoGAF. You'd think it sold less than 100,000.

The start of this gen is unlike anything we have seen before. The reason that the XB1 appears to be doing decently, despite the price and bad PR, is because the market has been starved of new consoles during a ludicrous 8-year cycle. That and the fact that these initial sales are a lot of those 80 million 360 Xbox fans in the markets that the One has released in.

But I am certain that the XB1 sales will drop dramatically once the hardcore initial buyers have been sated. You can bet it won't see sustained high sales because of the price, whereas I think the PS4 will continue to sell really well (obviously not at the rate of the last 4 weeks).

The DRM fiasco and Microsoft's "anti consumer stance" made for bad press on GAF and the usual video game sites. However, the general public were either oblivious or simply did not care. They just want the next iteration of the Xbox because it's, you know, Xbox. Microsoft knew their market and branded their product well. Show clip of "Xbox, ON!", sell a million units.

The DRM fiasco and Microsoft's "anti consumer stance" made for bad press on GAF and the usual video game sites. However, the general public were either oblivious or simply did not care. They just want the next iteration of the Xbox because it's, you know, Xbox. Microsoft knew their market and branded their product well. Show clip of "Xbox, ON!", sell a million units.

The general public did care, though. PS4 is doing better even in markets that Microsoft had a huge stronghold.

Further, had Microsoft not reversed their decision, it could have been a lot worse.

jcm

Wii sales should be a bit higher.

You have Wii sales as 70K, when they should be more like 80K < Wii < 85K.

Thanks. I'll update tomorrow.

Right. MS planned all along to change their entire strategy and messaging 90 days before launch.

The general public did care, though. PS4 is doing better even in markets that Microsoft had a huge stronghold.

Further, had Microsoft not reversed their decision, it could have been a lot worse.

"worse" :/

How could Microsoft's numbers be any higher than what they are in November? Hmm?

I'm not saying things will go swimmingly for them in 2014 and beyond, but they couldn't possibly be doing better right now.

They got rid of drm stuff. General public seems to like kinect.

jcm

How does that contradict anything I said?

You said "how could microsoft's numbers be any higher than what they are in November?" and "they couldn't possibly be doing any better right now."

The ps4 is demonstrating that they could, in fact, be higher than they were, and that they could, in fact, be doing better right now.

It's weird to wonder how you could possibly improve on second place. The answer seems obvious.

You said "how could microsoft's numbers be any higher than what they are in November?" and "they couldn't possibly be doing any better right now."

The ps4 is demonstrating that they could, in fact, be higher than they were, and that they could, in fact, be doing better right now.

It's weird to wonder how you could possibly improve on second place. The answer seems obvious.

How many more units do you think Xbox One could have or even should have sold in November?

ascii42

Sony sold more because they made more. More demand for the Xbox One wouldn't have increased its sales. The only thing MS could have done to increase their numbers is to make more systems.

Busaiku

what do you guys expect for 3ds worldwide numbers?

Depending on how it does this month, I can see it about even/beating PSP/GBA, but not by too much, by the end of its life.
If Puzzle & Dragons Z really kicks off the mobile to 3DS revolution in Japan, and it does 2 million+ in the US (2DS Pokemon bundles), I can see it doing better than that.

If Nintendo finally wises up and decides to bite the bullet and lower software prices across the board, that could help too.
This is definitely a much bigger issue than people give credit to.

For a period of time the PS3 was sold out after launch.

That doesn't mean Sony "couldn't have done anything better", because it was short lived.

Again, I go back the point, you said "PS4 is doing better even in markets that Microsoft had a huge stronghold," which implies Microsoft's stronghold is choosing PS4 over Xbox One. You said "Further, had Microsoft not reversed their decision, it could have been a lot worse," which does imply it actually isn't going all that well.

I dispute both. There is no sales data, none, which suggests Xbox One is being rejected in the stronghold markets. There is no sales data saying Microsoft is not doing well. On the contrary, there is only one console in history that has ever performed as well as this, or even close to this. And what's amazing about it is that the other console is doing this well at the exact same time.

Microsoft has had an absolutely amazing launch. Words cannot describe just how successful they have been. They have made a lot of consoles. They have sold a lot of consoles. They couldn't possibly sell any more without making any more. Context. Context. Context. This isn't a binary situation where somebody sold more so obviously the other guy just wasn't wanted as much. This is a situation where the other guy executed just that much better by having more to sell.

Again, next year I fully expect Sony to run away with this thing. I think the $100 price differential will end up being huge. I think Sony will win back a lot of gamers that flipped to 360 last generation. I have Sony taking the U.S comfortably, and the rest of the world is a given.

But Microsoft's numbers are not bad. They are ridiculously amazing.

PBY

Banned
Again, I go back the point, you said "PS4 is doing better even in markets that Microsoft had a huge stronghold," which implies Microsoft's stronghold is choosing PS4 over Xbox One. You said "Further, had Microsoft not reversed their decision, it could have been a lot worse," which does imply it actually isn't going all that well.

I dispute both. There is no sales data, none, which suggests Xbox One is being rejected in the stronghold markets. There is no sales data saying Microsoft is not doing well. On the contrary, there is only one console in history that has ever performed as well as this, or even close to this. And what's amazing about it is that the other console is doing this well at the exact same time.

Microsoft has had an absolutely amazing launch. Words cannot describe just how successful they have been. They have made a lot of consoles. They have sold a lot of consoles. They couldn't possibly sell any more without making any more. Context. Context. Context. This isn't a binary situation where somebody sold more so obviously the other guy just wasn't wanted as much.

Again, next year I fully expect Sony to run away with this thing. I think the $100 price differential will end up being huge. I think Sony will win back a lot of gamers that flipped to 360 last generation. I have Sony taking the U.S comfortably, and the rest of the world is a given.

I agree with all of this. I don't see bad news anywhere, its good for the industry.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Microsoft has had an absolutely amazing launch. Words cannot describe just how successful they have been.

Are you in drama club?

This isn't a binary situation where somebody sold more so obviously the other guy just wasn't wanted as much.

What you've described would be rather difficult to express in binary. "As much"? That's not really the point of binary.

Sony sold more because they made more. More demand for the Xbox One wouldn't have increased its sales. The only thing MS could have done to increase their numbers is to make more systems.

That's something they could have done.

Depending on how it does this month, I can see it about even/beating PSP/GBA, but not by too much, by the end of its life.
If Puzzle & Dragons Z really kicks off the mobile to 3DS revolution in Japan, and it does 2 million+ in the US (2DS Pokemon bundles), I can see it doing better than that.

If Nintendo finally wises up and decides to bite the bullet and lower software prices across the board, that could help too.
This is definitely a much bigger issue than people give credit to.

3DS game prices to $30 pls

Are you in drama club?

What you've described would be rather difficult to express in binary. "As much"? That's not really the point of binary.

What I meant by that is the idea that since one was higher, the other one had to have "lost." I'm just continuously amazed, perplexed, and frustrated by such binary viewpoints absent any context as to why one side couldn't sell more, or how both sides are doing frankly better than anyone could have imagined, not the least of which people inside those companies!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What I meant by that is the idea that since one was higher, the other one had to have "lost." I'm just continuously amazed, perplexed, and frustrated by such binary viewpoints absent any context as to why one side couldn't sell more, or how both sides are doing frankly better than anyone could have imagined, not the least of which people inside those companies!

What's so upsetting about that? It's a true statement. One lost. This reeks of "You're all winners!" no?

I'm not saying there's necessarily anything significant to it or that you need to read into it beyond what the numbers explicitly say, but one sold more. It "won".

We can all feel warm and fuzzy and not get mad about people saying quite literally true things.

I think you have a different contention than what you are putting forth. It doesn't matter so much that people are being "binary" (that is: accurate) with their diction, but rather that people care enough to think about things in terms of winners and losers. I am not sure I can help there!

Boss Man

Hey, people who were around to watch the Dreamcast and other consoles fizzle away:

What do you all expect to actually happen with the Wii U? I mean, is there no chance that Nintendo would try and keep it afloat? Kinda sad if it just stops production next year or something :/

Microsoft has had an absolutely amazing launch. Words cannot describe just how successful they have been. They have made a lot of consoles. They have sold a lot of consoles. They couldn't possibly sell any more without making any more. Context. Context. Context. This isn't a binary situation where somebody sold more so obviously the other guy just wasn't wanted as much.

We have some initial sales data for hardware and software showing that the PS4 is doing better in the US and UK, and some anecdotal evidence on demand that suggests PS4 is selling out quicker and with many more inquiries at stores. US and UK were two markets where Microsoft had almost a 2:1 advantage to Sony, and now Sony is taking the initial lead. Microsoft expects to sell more Xbox Ones than Xbox 360s, and I don't see how that's possible since they needed a huge lead in the US and UK to get to where they are.

I'm not saying Microsoft's numbers are bad, just that it's difficult to judge since there's a few million xbox core consumers out there that were going to get an Xbox One over any other system, and they are likely to do that at launch or quickly thereafter. We're also only looking at one market in particular in this thread, but on a global scale are the numbers going to be that impressive? Microsoft looks to be funneling every available unit to their strongest territories and neglecting the rest of the world.

The real test is what happens once those few million have their systems and Microsoft is relying on joe casual consumer that plays his yearly Madden or Call of Duty.

Hey, people who were around to watch the Dreamcast and other consoles fizzle away:

What do you all expect to actually happen with the Wii U? I mean, is there no chance that Nintendo would try and keep it afloat? Kinda sad if it just stops production next year or something :/

The difference between Dreamcast-era Sega and Wii U-era Nintendo is that Sega bet the farm on Dreamcast in a desperate attempt to stay afloat and it nearly destroyed the company. Nintendo's had some bad quarters but they're nowhere near financial ruin. If Nintendo wants to keep the Wii U on shelves for a few more years, they can.

It could happen, or maybe even already has. When Nintendo predicted 5 million units by March 2013 that probably means they made a commitment to manufacture at least that many units and as of 3 months ago they'd only shipped slightly under 4 million of those to retail.

The difference between Dreamcast-era Sega and Wii U-era Nintendo is that Sega bet the farm on Dreamcast in a desperate attempt to stay afloat and it nearly destroyed the company. Nintendo's had some bad quarters but they're nowhere near financial ruin. If Nintendo wants to keep the Wii U on shelves for a few more years, they can.

This may be true, but the fact that we are quickly approaching the point in time where DC was officially killed by Sega and it appears almost certain that the Wii U will be tracking behind it. That's a big deal.

What's so upsetting about that? It's a true statement. One lost. This reeks of, "You're all winners!"

I'm not saying there's necessarily anything significant to it or that you need to read into it beyond what the numbers explicitly say, but one sold more. It "won".

We can all feel warm and fuzzy and not get mad about people saying quite literally true things.

Well, I find it all completely dumb. You don't? You haven't seen posts along the lines of "Microsoft is doing terrible" or "is in trouble" when it flies in the face of any reality? Again, it is just void of any context. Maybe those people haven't figured out how supply works, exactly, I don't know. Maybe they don't read many threads and it isn't their fault, or maybe they don't understand that even having 900K units available at launch in this market has never happened in this industry. This year, it happened twice. Is that not amazing? I wonder, if Sony is outsold in December, are they going to suddenly discover how supply works then? Are the Microsoft folks going to forget all about it? Again, I find it mind-numbingly stupid.

It's like the reverse of two generations ago when GameCube and Xbox fans were arguing over the table scraps. "We're selling more! No, we're selling more!" Hello? You're both dead last by a wide margin, enjoy it.

Bah, like I said, it's just so darn stupid. Next year when you can actually find these things with dust on them, it will be readily apparent who is indeed winning and who is losing and it's not like I haven't often expressed what I think will happen, but I simply refuse to use numbers when both sides clearly sold out as any validation of my own prediction even when the result falls in line with it. I'd find it incredibly lazy and intellectually dishonest to do that.

I still think people praising Microsoft for not failing harder, despite 8 years of uninterrupted dominance over the PS3, are out of their minds. The fact that Microsoft have let Sony hit the reset button at all in their home market is a tremendous failure.

Yes, Microsoft have had a rough time messaging their console in the past 8 months, but that was entirely their own fault. Instead of thinking fuzzy thoughts and patting themselves on the back like so many GAFfers believe is appropriate right now, they need to see this as a lesson in how unchecked hubris almost completely destroyed their brand, just like SCE did last gen.

The Xbone sales we are seeing are the remnants of what could have been, not the resuscitation of what was.

[*]GEN 18m?
As insane as this is we Still can't get definits for SNES & GEN (US).

My best guess would be 21.5 to 22 million. Sega seems to have sold 20 million on its own (best estimate; there is no definite number, and this number could possibly be high), and Majesco sold a million or two of the Genesis 3. This isn't counting any of the licensed clone systems you've seen in recent years, either, of course (the various Blaze or AtGames systems).

And yes, we have no idea whether the SNES or Genesis actually sold more overall -- they were close, and if accurate numbers exist, they haven't been released. Comparing Sega's fuzzy numbers to Nintendo's "all of the Americas" numbers is not easy. My guess is that Nintendo took a lead somewhere around 1995, but maybe Sega got it back in 1998 and actually won? Or maybe they lost, but won in the Americas as a whole? Or not. It really is too close to say anything definitive, unless some actual solid sales numbers ever surface.

It could happen, or maybe even already has. When Nintendo predicted 5 million units by March 2013 that probably means they made a commitment to manufacture at least that many units and as of 3 months ago they'd only shipped slightly under 4 million of those to retail.

This may be true, but the fact that we are quickly approaching the point in time where DC was officially killed by Sega and it appears almost certain that the Wii U will be tracking behind it. That's a big deal.
True, but they did that because they were pretty much out of money, not because of sales. DC sales were mediocre and disappointing, overall. The DC did particularly poor in Japan, decent in the US but the PS2's release in late 2000 (2nd holiday) crushed everything, and also mediocre in Europe... so yes, it wasn't doing great, but had Sega not been almost out of money, they probably would have kept going, at least for a few more years, and maybe another console generation too if they'd had the cash.

Nintendo isn't in nearly as bad a financial position, because they never bet everything on Wii U (3DS also exists, of course!) and because they had MUCH MUCH larger cash reserves and are of course as always much better at finances than Sega. You're right that in terms of sales alone things look similar, but again, the DC would not have been discontinued when it was had Sega had the kind of money Nintendo does today. No way.

QaaQer

Well, I find it all completely dumb. You don't? You haven't seen posts along the lines of "Microsoft is doing terrible" or "is in trouble" when it flies in the face of any reality? Again, it is just void of any context. Maybe those people haven't figured out how supply works, exactly, I don't know. Maybe they don't read many threads and it isn't their fault, or maybe they don't understand that even having 900K units available at launch in this market has never happened in this industry. This year, it happened twice. Is that not amazing? I wonder, if Sony is outsold in December, are they going to suddenly discover how supply works then? Are the Microsoft folks going to forget all about it? Again, I find it mind-numbingly stupid.

It's like the reverse of two generations ago when GameCube and Xbox fans were arguing over the table scraps. "We're selling more! No, we're selling more!" Hello? You're both dead last by a wide margin, enjoy it.

Bah, like I said, it's just so darn stupid. Next year when you can actually find these things with dust on them, it will be readily apparent who is indeed winning and who is losing and it's not like I haven't often expressed what I think will happen, but I simply refuse to use numbers when both sides clearly sold out as any validation of my own prediction even when the result falls in line with it. I'd find it incredibly lazy and intellectually dishonest to do that.

Relax man, it's just games.

Replicant

I still think people praising Microsoft for not failing harder, despite 8 years of uninterrupted dominance over the PS3, are out of their minds. The fact that Microsoft have let Sony hit the reset button at all in their home market is a tremendous failure.

Yes, Microsoft have had a rough time messaging their console in the past 8 months, but that was entirely their own fault. Instead of thinking fuzzy thoughts and patting themselves on the back like so many GAFfers believe is appropriate right now, they need to see this as a lesson in how unchecked hubris almost completely destroyed their brand, just like SCE did last gen.

Well, they have to move their goalpost somehow. So now their messaging is on a "Both consoles selling well is good for industry, peace on Earth, bla bla bla" tangent.

Top Bottom