• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
So either they are keeping the AC bundle, or they really are going back to $399.

But he does say "later in the year.", so if he means this year, there is still time.

I am just curious how did you come to that conclusion based on his tweet. All he said is next holiday bundles will be announced next holidays lol

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Ok, given what shared by Nintendo of France, we know that

Tomodachi Life (Europe) - 1,000,000
Tomodachi Life (US) - 260,000 up to July

Is it possibile to get an update about US sales?

Javin98

Banned
So either they are keeping the AC bundle, or they really are going back to $399.

But he does say "later in the year.", so if he means this year, there is still time.
Both are poor choices. By January next year, the AC bundle would have lost its appeal. Pushing prices back to $399 will definitely cause XBO sales to plummet. If MS still don't have any future bundles planned for the first half of 2015, the PS4 will handily lead in the US.

Welfare

I am just curious how did you come to that conclusion based on his tweet. All he said is next holiday bundles will be announced next holidays lol

If they have no plans made right now for bundles in 2015 at all, that means they are either keeping the AC bundle and going $399 for January, or they are going back to a basic $399 SKU. Just talking about the beginning of 2015 here.

If they have no plans made right now for bundles in 2015 at all, that means they are either keeping the AC bundle and going $399 for January, or they are going back to a basic $399 SKU. Just talking about the beginning of 2015 here.

Phil Spencer already said the AC bundle was only for the holidays quite recently so if they have anything planned it isnt for that bundle

I think they will really struggle if they go back to $399 with no bundle. They're artificially inflating these months and likely stealing from other months' sales. However, if they settle at levels they're comfortable selling at and software sales are healthy, it may not matter.

Amused

Both are poor choices. By January next year, the AC bundle would have lost its appeal. Pushing prices back to $399 will definitely cause XBO sales to plummet. If MS still don't have any future bundles planned for the first half of 2015, the PS4 will handily lead in the US.

399 in january (slow month, right?). Permanent price drop in february to eat into PS4 sales when the start dropping their first party exclusives.

amazon keeps mixing them PS4 bundurus

Un0758q.png
yaVPXd9.png

My enjoyment of the PS4 is directly linked to how many units are sold. I might have to consider selling it and instead buying a Xbox One and if it starts to sell more.

I would buy a book filled with nothing but your GAF posts and pictures of ducks.

This would make me very happy.

Lynn616

The PS4 is at #5 at Amazon's Hourly Best Sellers list now. The monthly chart hasn't been updated as of yet, like some posters had mentioned.

This shows that the $350 price tag, as well as with the Assassin's Creed Unity Bundle & Halo: Master Chief Collection are wearing off.

What does it show when the Xbox is now ahead of the new PS4 bundle?

dolemite

And what stops MSFT from selling XBones for $350 but without the AC games?

Bgamer90

Banned
My enjoyment of the PS4 is directly linked to how many units are sold. I might have to consider selling it and instead buying a Xbox One and if it starts to sell more.

The PS4 is at #5 at Amazon's Hourly Best Sellers list now. The monthly chart hasn't been updated as of yet, like some posters had mentioned.

This shows that the $350 price tag, as well as with the Assassin's Creed Unity Bundle & Halo: Master Chief Collection are wearing off.

What does it show when the Xbox is now ahead of the new PS4 bundle?

If one doesn't like what one sees on Amazon chartz, come back in one hour? :)

Hahaha... you guys are hilarious.

Bgamer90

Banned
And what stops MSFT from selling XBones for $350 but without the AC games?

Them saying $50 off all bundles is holiday only.

Positive they only said that to add on to the Holiday shopping rush. Would be very surprised if they go back to $400.

I'm expecting a "Due to the greater than expected response of the $350 price, we have decided to keep the SKU this price going forward..." statement or something similar to that (even if they were planning to keep it $350 in 2015 a long time ago). Guess we'll see in three weeks.

Moneal

Where do you guys click on Amazon to view the hourly/monthly top sales?

Monthly http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-12/videogames/ref=zg_bs_tab_t_bsar?tag=viglink20241-20

hourly http://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-video-games/zgbs/videogames/ref=sv_vg_12

you have to manually do the monthly one. so next month use the same link except replace 2014-12 with 2015-01. the hourly one is found by going to the video game department and clicking the best sellers link.

RBK

Banned

There's really no way you can come to that conclusion without assumptions.

Javin98

Banned
Its been hours and yet no reversal. What now?

Monthly been updated BTW. X1 #3, PS4 #30.
I'm surprised the PS4 is still back in #30 even after all the bundles. Are other stores the same way? The XBO pulling ahead by a significant margin? If so, I expect the XBO to take December by ~250K

RedAssedApe

Banned
Looks like MS is making one last push. Via CAG:

• Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop, Microsoft Store: $50 off Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle or Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle with Kinect, plus a free $50 gift card
  • Target $50 off Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle or Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle with Kinect, plus a free $70 gift card
  • Toys 'R Us: $50 off Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle or Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle with Kinect, plus a free Xbox One controller
  • Meijer: $50 off Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle or Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle with Kinect, plus a free Xbox One game of your choice
  • Newegg: $50 off Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle or Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle with Kinect, plus a free 12-month Xbox Live Gold subscription and a $20 Newegg gift card (Get an additional $50 off when you checkout with BitCoin via Promo Code BITCOINXBOXONE.) *Adding the console to cart will automatically add the $20 newegg gift card. To get the free xbox live gold subscription, you need to manually add it to cart.*

The meltdown over at CAG over the Newegg deal was hilarious. Newegg employee was teasing a huge deal and it ended up being something that requires bitcoins. Mods got salty and deleted the hype thread. lol

Some more game related deals at CAG.

Lemondish

Looks like MS is making one last push. Via CAG:

• Amazon, Best Buy, GameStop, Microsoft Store: $50 off Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle or Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle with Kinect, plus a free $50 gift card
  • Target $50 off Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle or Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle with Kinect, plus a free $70 gift card
  • Toys 'R Us: $50 off Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle or Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle with Kinect, plus a free Xbox One controller
  • Meijer: $50 off Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle or Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle with Kinect, plus a free Xbox One game of your choice
  • Newegg: $50 off Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle or Xbox One Assassin’s Creed Unity Bundle with Kinect, plus a free 12-month Xbox Live Gold subscription and a $20 Newegg gift card (Get an additional $50 off when you checkout with BitCoin via Promo Code BITCOINXBOXONE.) *Adding the console to cart will automatically add the $20 newegg gift card. To get the free xbox live gold subscription, you need to manually add it to cart.*

The meltdown over at CAG over the Newegg deal was hilarious. Newegg employee was teasing a huge deal and it ended up being something that requires bitcoins. Mods got salty and deleted the hype thread. lol

Some more game related deals at CAG.

Deals look great. Now the question becomes do I buy this year even though there's nothing I want to play on it yet, or do I wait in the hopes that they have another dismal 10 months in 2015 and enjoy even crazier bundles next November? Is MCC still broken?

Positive they only said that to add on to the Holiday shopping rush. Would be very surprised if they go back to $400.

I'm expecting a "Due to the greater than expected response of the $350 price, we have decided to keep the SKU this price going forward..." statement or something similar to that (even if they were planning to keep it $350 in 2015 a long time ago). Guess we'll see in three weeks.

Yup, no way they go back up in price, they'll get their behinds kicked again with no Titanfall to stop the freefall this year

Pezus

Deals look great. Now the question becomes do I buy this year even though there's nothing I want to play on it yet, or do I wait in the hopes that they have another dismal 10 months in 2015 and enjoy even crazier bundles next November? Is MCC still broken?
They'll have better deals next holidays. PS4 should drop in price for the first time then so MS will need to answer

JaggedSac

Sounds like you don't want it to play games so....no?

Ummm... my brain just about exploded tonight.

My best friends, brother and mother pooled money together and bought me a PS4. Early Christmas gift because they love me. Some of them were acting like I was a saint deserving of lavish gifts. They punched me in the feels. I cook for them when I see them (well my mom all the time) I've always tried to be there for them when they need me, but they know I'm not financially secure to get them anything in turn. I think I can be a better friend than I have but the way they were acting was almost like I'd just been diagnosed with some terminal illness.

And I haven't. I love them with all my heart, but that was too much money for what amounts to a toy. I'll get a lot of use out of it and I'll always be grateful to them for the years of friendship, but I could have waited. I've apparently made more of a mark on them than I thought. It just about asploded my brainpan. Split among five people I guess it wasn't much in a sense, but more money than I've had the ability to spend on a single gift in years.

So yeah, because of some truly awesome people in my life I now have a PS4 and Assassin's Creed. I felt bad about one thing in particular though... the friend that got Assassin's Creed before he handed me the game asked "And what game were you really wanting for the system?" I answered a lot of things that weren't Assassin's Creed. To be fair I didn't see the other package, had no idea they'd gotten a game too. I figured a $400 gift was well more than enough.

Been toying around with the thing since 10pm. Currently have some demos downloading. We drank, ate good homecooked foods, played Smash WiiU (my little brothers system, best friends game since he doesn't officially have the system yet) and played a range of card games. Then watched some Netflix. Which is really quick and snappy on the system.

Sorry if this ended up being a little more liverjournal than is cool for this thread.

Javin98

Banned

My best friends, brother and mother pooled money together and bought me a PS4. Early Christmas gift because they love me. Some of them were acting like I was a saint deserving of lavish gifts. They punched me in the feels. I cook for them when I see them (well my mom all the time) I've always tried to be there for them when they need me, but they know I'm not financially secure to get them anything in turn. I think I can be a better friend than I have but the way they were acting was almost like I'd just been diagnosed with some terminal illness.

And I haven't. I love them with all my heart, but that was too much money for what amounts to a toy. I'll get a lot of use out of it and I'll always be grateful to them for the years of friendship, but I could have waited. I've apparently made more of a mark on them than I thought. It just about asploded my brainpan. Split among five people I guess it wasn't much in a sense, but more money than I've had the ability to spend on a single gift in years.

So yeah, because of some truly awesome people in my life I now have a PS4 and Assassin's Creed. I felt bad about one thing in particular though... the friend that got Assassin's Creed before he handed me the game asked "And what game were you really wanting for the system?" I answered a lot of things that weren't Assassin's Creed. To be fair I didn't see the other package, had no idea they'd gotten a game too. I figured a $400 gift was well more than enough.

Been toying around with the thing since 10pm. Currently have some demos downloading. We drank, ate good homecooked foods, played Smash WiiU (my little brothers system, best friends game since he doesn't officially have the system yet) and played a range of card games. Then watched some Netflix. Which is really quick and snappy on the system.

Sorry if this ended up being a little more liverjournal than is cool for this thread.
Not trying to dampen your spirits, but isn't this steering too far into the Off-Topic Valley?

Unity or Blackflag? I wonder if they even still do Blackflag PS4 bunderus, that was my first game.

Maledict

So, judging by the Amazon results so far for the USA the XBone is going to sell significantly higher than the PS4 in December as well, probably to the point of removing the lead it's gained over the last year (given the higher normal sales in December and the current disparities on the Amazon charts).

For the states, obviously Sony holding them to a draw in sales represents a big win for them but it will be interesting to see how the next year plays out. It does feel, speaking to more casual friends, that this holiday is where a lot of 360 owners have chosen to upgrade and given the price disparity have just gone to the xbox automatically.

The best post in this thread, Imo.

So, judging by the Amazon results so far for the USA the XBone is going to sell significantly higher than the PS4 in December as well, probably to the point of removing the lead it's gained over the last year (given the higher normal sales in December and the current disparities on the Amazon charts).

For the states, obviously Sony holding them to a draw in sales represents a big win for them but it will be interesting to see how the next year plays out. It does feel, speaking to more casual friends, that this holiday is where a lot of 360 owners have chosen to upgrade and given the price disparity have just gone to the xbox automatically.

I really really doubt One sells 700k units more than PS4 in Dec. If there is a disparity between them I could see it being around the same number of units as it was in Nov. I just doubt they sell enough to wipe out the entire lead.

Javin98

Banned

It is almost impossible for the XBO to sell ~750K more than the PS4 in December

Game4life

Banned
I think it is more or less clear that Sony needs a price cut in US to go back to winning there. 399 even with 2 games included does not seem to be cutting it and the 50$ advantage is seemingly good enough for people to choose the xbox one. Ofcourse Sony may not be even interested in winning NPD's at that low a price but I think it's clear that at this price point North America will prefer the bone to ps4 going forward.

Javin98

Banned
I think it is more or less clear that Sony needs a price cut in US to go back to winning there. 399 even with 2 games included does not seem to be cutting it and the 50$ advantage is seemingly good enough for people to choose the xbox one. Ofcourse Sony may not be even interested in winning NPD's at that low a price but I think it's clear that at this price point North America will prefer the bone to ps4 going forward.
The whole point is the PS4 is still selling very well in the US, albeit being currently outpaced by the XBO. If Sony cut the price down to $350, they'll be missing out on a huge profit, which they desperately need, considering the current state of the company

If Andrew House's comment about December US sales being on track to meet their expectations (while acknowledging November as a tough month due to competition ), it seems likely that December will either match or outsell November for Sony. (unless their expectations were lower )

Javin98

Banned
If Andrew House's comment about December US sales being on track to meet their expectations (while acknowledging November as a tough month due to competition ), it seems likely that December will either match or outsell November for Sony. (unless their expectations were lower )
I hope it's outselling November. ~850K in December isn't really impressive for a console that is close to the Wii in sales. My estimations may be overly optimistic but I predict the PS4 will sell at least a million this month.

Elios83

You shouldn't read that comment relatively to the competition but relatively to their own targets, probably they expected to hit at least 1m sales on November and they didn't.
But they shouldn't be surprised considering they had no deals for the whole month except for a couple of days around BF while the competition was killing it.
In December so far they have been far more competitive and they'll probably hit 1m.

How much bigger are usually December sales then November sales?

Things have changed in the recent years with deals starting in November and being absolutely crazy and unmatched during BF week.
Sales might be on the same level as November. The days when December sales used to be double of November are a thing of the past.

You shouldn't read that comment relatively to the competition but relatively to their own targets, probably they expected to hit at least 1m sales on November and they didn't.
But they shouldn't be surprised considering they had no deals for the whole month except for a couple of days around BF while the competition was killing it.
In December so far they have been far more competitive.

It's always relative to their own targets, I know. But like all companies, it's cool to blame 'external' factors when you're not meeting your targets.

While he didn't say it directly, I did take it as 840k being below their internal expectations ( with anecdotal retail insiders stating that neither XB1/PS4 had a 100% sell-through on BF ), as well as December's notably better deals that they chose to not do during November.

Ty4on

I hope it's outselling November. ~850K in December isn't really impressive for a console that is close to the Wii in sales. My estimations may be overly optimistic but I predict the PS4 will sell at least a million this month.
It isn't close to the Wii in the US.

Elios83

It's always relative to their own targets, I know. But like all companies, it's cool to blame 'external' factors when you're not meeting your targets.

While he didn't say it directly, I did take it as 840k being below their internal expectations ( with anecdotal retail insiders stating that neither XB1/PS4 had a 100% sell-through on BF ), as well as December's notably better deals that they chose to not do during November.

Their sales have been affected by external factors though (the price drops and deals of the competition, if X1 stayed at 399$ even with two games and gift cards included things would have gone differently for them). Of course they chose not to make deals during November probably because they were confident to hit better sales internally as you said but they didn't. I guess that 1m in November was the threshold level for them.
Now in December they're being definetly more competitive with their deals, we have seen bundles with two games becoming a standard offer and even some gift cards are being included at some retailers, so results should be better compared to what they did in November.

Javin98

Banned
November 2007 - Wii 981K
December 2007 - Wii 1.35 million (6.29 million total sold by this point)
Wasn't the PS4's LTD in the US as of November ~5.65 million? If it sells a million in December, the LTD would be ~6.65 million, surpassing the Wii. Someone correct me if wrong

Top Bottom