• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

Wasn't the PS4's LTD in the US as of November ~5.65 million? If it sells a million in December, the LTD would be ~6.65 million, surpassing the Wii. Someone correct me if wrong
Your PS4 number is right, the Wii LTD number posted is wrong.

Wii LTD in Nov 07 was already around 6.000.000 units, with December it had almost 7.400.000 units.

PS4 would've to sell almost 1.800.000 units to keep up.

Log4Girlz

Ummm... my brain just about exploded tonight.

My best friends, brother and mother pooled money together and bought me a PS4. Early Christmas gift because they love me. Some of them were acting like I was a saint deserving of lavish gifts. They punched me in the feels. I cook for them when I see them (well my mom all the time) I've always tried to be there for them when they need me, but they know I'm not financially secure to get them anything in turn. I think I can be a better friend than I have but the way they were acting was almost like I'd just been diagnosed with some terminal illness.

And I haven't. I love them with all my heart, but that was too much money for what amounts to a toy. I'll get a lot of use out of it and I'll always be grateful to them for the years of friendship, but I could have waited. I've apparently made more of a mark on them than I thought. It just about asploded my brainpan. Split among five people I guess it wasn't much in a sense, but more money than I've had the ability to spend on a single gift in years.

So yeah, because of some truly awesome people in my life I now have a PS4 and Assassin's Creed. I felt bad about one thing in particular though... the friend that got Assassin's Creed before he handed me the game asked "And what game were you really wanting for the system?" I answered a lot of things that weren't Assassin's Creed. To be fair I didn't see the other package, had no idea they'd gotten a game too. I figured a $400 gift was well more than enough.

Been toying around with the thing since 10pm. Currently have some demos downloading. We drank, ate good homecooked foods, played Smash WiiU (my little brothers system, best friends game since he doesn't officially have the system yet) and played a range of card games. Then watched some Netflix. Which is really quick and snappy on the system.

Sorry if this ended up being a little more liverjournal than is cool for this thread.

You are super nice. You deserved it!

Ty4on

I always forget about the shortages. I should have done better things than being a fanboy back then. The Wii sold 10 million in 2008 and had several ridiculous non holiday months where it sold around 700k. I really wonder what it would have done with a supply chain like the PS4.

I always forget about the shortages. I should have done better things than being a fanboy back then. The Wii sold 10 million in 2008 and had several ridiculous non holiday months where it sold around 700k. I really wonder what it would have done with a supply chain like the PS4.

Yeah I remember people not being able to find Wii consoles like a year after it came out

Javin98

Banned
Your PS4 number is right, the Wii LTD number posted is wrong.

Wii LTD in Nov 07 was already around 6.000.000 units, with December it had almost 7.400.000 units.

PS4 would've to sell almost 1.800.000 units to keep up.
Ah, thanks. I knew something was up with the Wii numbers. 7.4M is pretty damn amazing! The Wii was absolutely a beast back in its day. Too bad its sales fell off a cliff starting from 2011. If sales were still incredibly strong, the Wii could easily rival the mighty PS2. Anyway, so the PS4 is lagging behind the Wii by ~500K units in the US right now and God knows how much in Japan but is pulling ahead in EU.

donny2112

Yeah I remember people not being able to find Wii consoles like a year after it came out

It wasn't consistently available on store shelves until almost Summer 2009. I chalk the shortages ending then up to 1) NOA holding onto the $250 launch price too long (should've dropped $50 in early 2009 to keep demand high, and then could've dropped another $50 close to Fall if the earlier drop didn't work enough) and 2) the pathetic Fall 2008 lineup of Wii Music and Animal Crossing (did you know Animal Crossing was Nintendo's "core" game for Fall 2008? Just ask Reggie!). You know what came out in Fall 2008 on 360 that sold terribly but probably would've sold like gangbusters on Wii? It's a RARE title with a strong Nintendo pedigree.
Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts. RARE, why did you go?!?

Ty4on

Edit: ↑↑↑↑↑ First week sales are often a big chunk of lifetime sales.
It wasn't consistently available on store shelves until almost Summer 2009. I chalk the shortages ending then up to 1) NOA holding onto the $250 launch price too long (should've dropped $50 in early 2009 to keep demand high, and then could've dropped another $50 close to Fall if the earlier drop didn't work enough) and 2) the pathetic Fall 2008 lineup of Wii Music and Animal Crossing (did you know Animal Crossing was Nintendo's "core" game for Fall 2008? Just ask Reggie!).
They did give us the amazing 2008 E3 conference :p

Quite a lot of mistakes in a row. I remember how expensive the Wii looked when the 360 had cheaper models (up here at least).

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Really? Less than 68K all of October? That can't be right, the Zelda brand for a month couldn't beat a week of Bayonetta?

Um... Are you really surprised the title had more than a 66% drop in its 2nd month? That's kind of how these things work. First Week of X > 1st month after of sales pretty often. Only titles with legs really seem to avoid that rule (Mario Kart 8 as a recent example). It's also a Zelda spinoff.

Richie

Um... Are you really surprised the title had more than a 66% drop in its 2nd month? That's kind of how these things work. First Week of X > 1st month after of sales pretty often. Only titles with legs really seem to avoid that rule (Mario Kart 8 as a recent example). It's also a Zelda spinoff.

Considering it is Zelda Fanservice: The Game and that at least from my experience it got real good word of mouth (...I know, I'm resorting to anecdotal elements...), yeah, I'm a tad sad if it's true that the game didn't see better sales. Wasn't it the first 1st Party title right after Mario Kart 8 in May? Plus, with Tecmo Koei saying that the title surpassed sales expectations in America and Europe, I was hoping for something better. That game deserves it, dangnabit :(

I think it is more or less clear that Sony needs a price cut in US to go back to winning there. 399 even with 2 games included does not seem to be cutting it and the 50$ advantage is seemingly good enough for people to choose the xbox one. Ofcourse Sony may not be even interested in winning NPD's at that low a price but I think it's clear that at this price point North America will prefer the bone to ps4 going forward.

That's nowhere near being certain.

Super deals might have only accelerated buying of console by people who already wanted One. We will see if it's sustainable effect.

Kusagari

Considering it is Zelda Fanservice: The Game and that at least from my experience it got real good word of mouth (...I know, I'm resorting to anecdotal elements...), yeah, I'm a tad sad if it's true that the game didn't see better sales. Wasn't it the first 1st Party title right after Mario Kart 8 in May? Plus, with Tecmo Koei saying that the title surpassed sales expectations in America and Europe, I was hoping for something better. That game deserves it, dangnabit :(

It's probably already outsold every other Musou/DW game in America and Europe, so it's not exactly surprising Tecmo is pleased with the sales.

On Demand

Banned
I think it is more or less clear that Sony needs a price cut in US to go back to winning there. 399 even with 2 games included does not seem to be cutting it and the 50$ advantage is seemingly good enough for people to choose the xbox one. Ofcourse Sony may not be even interested in winning NPD's at that low a price but I think it's clear that at this price point North America will prefer the bone to ps4 going forward.

You mean a $50 price advantage with free games and giftcards is enough for people to choose XB1. I still don't think $350 XB1 without those extra enticements will outsell the PS4.

Its only 1 month even if it was quite a big win but I can't see Sony deciding with their current US sales to feel they need to drop $50 which is still quite a lot. They're making money (probably good money after the drops in costs for manufacturing over the last year), still selling really well, I can't see any of the leaders at Sony feeling any pressure and any need to drop as yet. They'll definitely do it in time for next holiday but at the moment I don't think the company will feel its a good idea to chase MS.

Packing more in at $399, their line-up for Q1 will do them well and make money ready for a drop later in the year

Special C

I think both consoles are in good shape. Microsoft got the boost it needed and their user base extended. Sony is still doing well enough to continue to sell the PS4 at a profit.

wachie

Microsoft has the Kinect SKU + Ryse for 350CAD this boxing day. That's like 300USD.

Man, they're going absolutely nuts.

I dont see any PS4 deal that is as sweet yet. I think Xbox will win December (even though Canada contributes very little).

*edit* It also includes Project Spark.

Saty

Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter said the answer to that question was a lot larger than he expected.

"NPD data for the month of November confirmed that next-gen Grand Theft Auto V sales vastly exceeded our prior expectations. GTA V on next-gen consoles sold 1.47 million units including pack-ins in the PS4 Black Friday bundle," Pachter said. "We estimate that there were an additional 368,000 digital unit sales of the title, for a total of 1.84 million units. This suggests worldwide sell-through approaching 3.7 million units in November alone, meaning our prior sell-in estimate of 3.75 million units for Q3:15 was way too conservative."
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...n-gta-v-sold-1-84-million-in-november-analyst

RobRSG

Is there a way to know how much a console sold since its launch?

I know that there are some websites that make up the numbers so, aside from those, what options do I have?

*Splinter

Is there a way to know how much a console sold since its launch?

I know that there are some websites that make up the numbers so, aside from those, what options do I have?
The numbers are leaked within this thread. A pie chart starts the discussion at around post 2200 I believe. More precise numbers appear much later in the thread but I don't remember where (post 6300 ish?). Look for LTD (lifetime to date) and bare in mind that most of this thread will concern the U.S. only

From memory:
5.7 million PS4 (US LTD)
5 million X1 (US LTD)

I don't know worldwide but the split is much more in PS4's favour, something like 2:1 I think.

Check the first 50 posts, IIRC someone edited in a quote of the first pie chart, which will take you to the right place.

These numbers are not public, so this thread is probably your most reliable source (that I know of)

Anyone else worried that X1 will overtake PS4 in NA now? I'm literally stressed out and Im having trouble sleeping. I just want PS4 to win. Please just win.

*Splinter

Anyone else worried that X1 will overtake PS4 in NA now? I'm literally stressed out and Im having trouble sleeping. I just want PS4 to win. Please just win.
I don't think it will happen, but I also dont think its impossible like I kind of did before November. MS made a huge play and it couldn't have gone much better for them.

I'm certainly not 'worried' either way, but I assume you were joking with that part.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member

image.php

*Splinter

Rhetorical question? If not: humans are tribal and conformist; we like belonging to groups.
These are also quite expensive non essentials, so I guess people feel a need to 'justify' their purchase over the alternatives. ie. My non essential luxury good is the best non essential luxury good on the market!

Pretty sure the 'worried' guy was just trolling though

Rhetorical question? If not: humans are tribal and conformist; we like belonging to groups.

These are also quite expensive non essentials, so I guess people feel a need to 'justify' their purchase over the alternatives. ie. My non essential luxury good is the best non essential luxury good on the market!

Pretty sure the 'worried' guy was just trolling though

People will justify their purchases either way.
It's not like people were all "OMG why did I buy a xbox/PS, I'm so jealous of those that got PS/xbox."

QaaQer

No doubt. I read a stat that >75% of people who actually read the text in magazine ads have already bought the product. The author surmised that the reason was they were looking for confirmation of their purchase decision.

On Demand

Banned

Well get ready to pull your hair out because they're going to sell 2 million in December and outsell PS4 by 1 million consoles. Overtaking the lead in the U.S.

If it makes you feel any better PS4 has about an 8 million lead worldwide.

Well get ready to pull your hair out because they're going to sell 2 million in December and outsell PS4 by 1 million consoles. Overtaking the lead in the U.S.

If MS sold 2m consoles in December the NPD thread would be completely empty.

I doubt it'll do much more than 1.2m again, that was pretty impressive but they've been pushing bundles/offers still and December is a 5 week month so they'll probably repeat it and PS4 will do over 1m

Ty4on

The joys of not having made a purchase :p
Apart from the Vita, but I purchased it partly because it was doing so poorly.

Welfare

If MS sold 2m consoles in December the NPD thread would be completely empty.

I doubt it'll do much more than 1.2m again, that was pretty impressive but they've been pushing bundles/offers still and December is a 5 week month so they'll probably repeat it and PS4 will do over 1m
Lol 2 million in December?

That's just crazy enough to actually happen.

Mrbob

2 million would be amazing, but that seems a bit high. Price drop plus Black Friday super mega specials in November should lead to a smaller bump than normal in December. XB1 will take the month though.

*Splinter

The joys of not having made a purchase :p
Apart from the Vita, but I purchased it partly because it was doing so poorly.
I accepted that I'm a fanboy years ago, so choosing a console is always very easy for me and I don't particularly try to justify it. Now I just sit back and watch the console wars rage :)

Top Bottom