• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2014 [Up3: NPD Data Error, AC:U #5]

*Splinter

MW7D0Gm.jpg

With Xbone bundles, it's probably placed few places higher than that.
If NPD tried to find their leaks, isn't this what it would look like? Hope no one got caught out...

Amir0x

Banned
Well get ready to pull your hair out because they're going to sell 2 million in December and outsell PS4 by 1 million consoles. Overtaking the lead in the U.S.

If it makes you feel any better PS4 has about an 8 million lead worldwide.

No way are they going to outsell PS4 by 1 million consoles in December man. Be serious.

It was a 400,000 difference in November (as I said it might be, *ahem*) they're both going to get a boost in December, the difference will likely be similar, with I'd say 550k being the top end of a possible sales gap.

RedAssedApe

Banned
MW7D0Gm.jpg

Just in comparison...

#6 October 2013 Assassin’s Creed IV, Black Flag (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii U)
#3 November 2013 Assassin’s Creed IV, Black Flag November NPD (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, PC, Wii U)

Seems AC:U didn't bomb nearly as much as people had thought.

Microsoft has the Kinect SKU + Ryse for 350CAD this boxing day. That's like 300USD.

Man, they're going absolutely nuts.

I dont see any PS4 deal that is as sweet yet. I think Xbox will win December (even though Canada contributes very little).

*edit* It also includes Project Spark.

Kinect AND Ryse? They really don't want to sell it do they?

*Splinter

No way are they going to outsell PS4 by 1 million consoles in December man. Be serious.

It was a 400,000 difference in November (as I said it might be, *ahem*) they're both going to get a boost in December, the difference will likely be similar, with I'd say 550k being the top end of a possible sales gap.
The way you stated your prediction you were going to claim victory for any gap between 180k and 550k... Not going to find the quote but it's something like "I predict 200k... but actually think this is kind of lowball and could be 400-500k+".
Second or third time you've mentioned it in this thread, but it would be a little more impressive if you gave a proper prediction like everyone else, no?

Amir0x

Banned
The way you stated your prediction you were going to claim victory for any gap between 180k and 550k... Not going to find the quote but it's something like "I predict 200k... but actually think this is kind of lowball and could be 400-500k+".

If you read the thread the quote came from, you could see I was clearly arguing the number was going to be at the high end. I debated with many posters over it.

I said 200k was the floor, but felt it'd be closer to 350k-400k. Deal.wit.it. >:)

Next month I think the ceiling is 550k, with a low of 300k gap. I think it'll be near the high end of this number as well.

Edit: Oh and the reason I gave a range was because I was not predicting overall sales, but the type of sales GAP between PS4 and XBO, same as here. :p

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Microsoft has the Kinect SKU + Ryse for 350CAD this boxing day. That's like 300USD.

Man, they're going absolutely nuts.

I dont see any PS4 deal that is as sweet yet. I think Xbox will win December (even though Canada contributes very little).

*edit* It also includes Project Spark.

It's become a liquidation fire-sale. They're investing their money into losses. They'll sell like crazy but when will it stop? It's almost sad.

*Splinter

If you read the thread the quote came from, you could see I was clearly arguing the number was going to be at the high end. I debated with many posters over it.

I said 200k was the floor, but felt it'd be closer to 350k-400k. Deal.wit.it. >:)

Next month I think the ceiling is 550k, with a low of 300k gap.
June 2016 I predict both consoles to sell within 1 million of each other in the US. Quote.me.on.this >:)
Edit: found the quote, I had the wording right but it was 200k and 350-400k. Although earlier in this thread you also claimed your victory at 450k :p
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=140952319&postcount=315
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=142915789

On topic though, looks like this thread might have one last twist in its tail, glad I just caught up in time! Will we get an update on the new top 10?

allan-bh

That's a huge discrepency. Have they done this before? I wonder if it applies to more than just ACU.

It's not huge, 5th to 9h place are relatively close in november.

In any case it will be good if someone can update Unity numbers for us and clarify if other changes occurred.

On Demand

Banned

Well I had doubts the gap would be anything over 200K last month if you remember. I laughed at your crazy prediction of XB1's 400K lead. I didn't expect the price cut and bundles to have much of an affect on PS4.

With December always being double or more over November, and MS continuing these crack in a box deals, I wouldn't be surprised if XB1 sold that much and outsold the PS4 by an even greater amount.

Kathian

Banned
Well no one really wanted to talk about the software chart but it looks like Unity performed more like expected.

Suspect they only counted one consoles based on the leap.

The original position was just poor.

allan-bh

Well no one really wanted to talk about the software chart but it looks like Unity performed more like expected.

Suspect they only counted one consoles based on the leap.

The original position was just poor.

I doubt the difference with new number is big. Unity standalone sales are low for the series, but XBO bundle sold very well.

Kathian

Banned
Disgusting. The fact that this game sold well is a travesty.

Why people are surprised I do not know. Consumers bought poorly functioning games at the end of last gen quite happily and will do the same at the start of this gen.

It's like the complaints about all the different editions. Consumers still buy a special edition for a tat hat or tat action figure.

Still I think it hit sales and will affect it in the long term. Meanwhile Watch Dogs delay was worth it.

Ty4on

It's not huge, 5th to 9h place are relatively close in november.

In any case it will be good if someone can update Unity numbers for us and clarify if other changes occurred.
This. I think the difference could have been as small as 50k and easily less than 100k combined. Only CoD is far away with 4.5 million with GTA probably a fair distance ahead of Smash with 1.5.

RedAssedApe

Banned
also half of the titles in that top half also had last-gen versions. would be curious to see if they would have jumped a couple more spots to get closer to GTA and COD if there was a last-gen version. i guess you could sort of estimate using rogue

Anyone else worried that X1 will overtake PS4 in NA now? I'm literally stressed out and Im having trouble sleeping. I just want PS4 to win. Please just win.
Not that that's gonna happen anyway, but why are you rooting so hard for a piece of plastic?

A sexy piece of plastic, but still....nothing to lose sleep over.

Well I had doubts the gap would be anything over 200K last month if you remember. I laughed at your crazy prediction of XB1's 400K lead. I didn't expect the price cut and bundles to have much of an affect on PS4.

With December always being double or more over November, and MS continuing these crack in a box deals, I wouldn't be surprised if XB1 sold that much and outsold the PS4 by an even greater amount.
Aquamarine, Swiftdeath, and Allah-bh have said that that trend is no longer a thing.

And they're experts.

It's been said multiple times.

Even if both systems did double, you're ignoring the fact PS4's had much better deals for December. We also don't know if that 1.2 million was heavily front-loaded or not.

Basically, you're assuming too much.

Well get ready to pull your hair out because they're going to sell 2 million in December
XBO is okay and all but it's no Wii

On Demand

Banned
It's become a liquidation fire-sale. They're investing their money into losses. They'll sell like crazy but when will it stop? It's almost sad.

I honestly believe now the price will go back to normal next month. I mean why all the last minute deals everywhere?

RedAssedApe

Banned
wouldn't be surprised if both consoles dropped for december. lot of people bit on those bf deals. and many sales because "too good to pass up" and not "i want this console now"

This. I think the difference could have been as small as 50k and easily less than 100k combined. Only CoD is far away with 4.5 million with GTA probably a fair distance ahead of Smash with 1.5.

Yep. It's funny that people really thought AC Unity wasn't going to sell well though. So including bundles Unity sold more than GTA, right?

GTA w/ bundles: 1.47

AC w/ bundles ~1.5-1.6 million

Anyone else worried that X1 will overtake PS4 in NA now? I'm literally stressed out and Im having trouble sleeping. I just want PS4 to win. Please just win.

Lol c'mon man.

Holiday sales and an effective $150 price drop from last year to this year.

Of course One is going to sell. It may even sell enough to overtake PS4 in the USA. I doubt it does it this month, but it very well could. It's went from selling well under 360 norms in nonholiday months, to well over a persistently sold out Wii in holiday months.

We're kind of in new territory here. We've never seen one of the big three this desperate. That's not a knock on MS. They've been smart. They've got the warchest to fight this battle with pure money if they need to, and they needed too. They were risking their largest market. Sony was severely encroaching in.

What's mystified me is Sony's complete lack of a response. Really makes you think Sony financials are in worse shape than expected. PS4 at this rate of production should be cheap enough to have knocked off a good $50-$100 by now. Unless that profit is absolutely necessary.

For the most part we won't know where things stand until we've seen how One and PS4 perform under normalized conditions. First holiday after drastic price cutting is not a normal situation. PS4 could go back to building a lead, or One could be in a new position of power in the American market.

My expectations for Dec are marginal increases for both. PS4 around 1.1 million units, and One around 1.5

QaaQer

Of course One is going to sell. It may even sell enough to overtake PS4 in the USA. I doubt it does it this month, but it very well could. It's went from selling well under 360 norms in nonholiday months, to well over a persistently sold out Wii in holiday months.

We're kind of in new territory here. We've never seen one of the big three this desperate. That's not a knock on MS. They've been smart. They've got the warchest to fight this battle with pure money if they need to, and they needed too. They were risking their largest market. Sony was severely encroaching in.

What's mystified me is Sony's complete lack of a response. Really makes you think Sony financials are in worse shape than expected. PS4 at this rate of production should be cheap enough to have knocked off a good $50-$100 by now. Unless that profit is absolutely necessary.

For the most part we won't know where things stand until we've seen how One and PS4 perform under normalized conditions. First holiday after drastic price cutting is not a normal situation. PS4 could go back to building a lead, or One could be in a new position of power in the American market.

My expectations for Dec are marginal increases for both. PS4 around 1.1 million units, and One around 1.5

What makes you think the consoles are $50to $100 cheaper to manufacture, market, and distribute? There has been no node shrink, feature cutting (kinect excepted), etc.

TomShoe

Banned

Sony is most likely trying to hold a balance between maintaining market share and being as profitable as possible. I feel they haven't dropped the price yet because it lowers the perceived value of the console. If the Xbox goes back to $399, sales will be even worse than 2013 non holiday months, because consumers will look at that price tag and think, "Wasn't this $329 some X months ago? I'll wait for it to go on sale." Of course Microsoft has the resources to keep these deals going indefinitely, but the losses will add up, resulting in some incensed shareholders. Sony isn't showing complacency by not entering a price war with Microsoft, they're just holding off on playing that card until it's absolutely necessary.

Sorry about the poor formatting, on mobile.

What makes you think the consoles are $50to $100 cheaper to manufacture, market, and distribute? There has been no node shrink, feature cutting (kinect excepted), etc.

Those aren't the only things that lead to production cost reductions. Just the very act of being popular will have that effect. The more specific parts are produced the cheaper they become. Neither console was working from the cutting edge, and PS4 went a step further by having almost no esoteric designs at all. The GPU is the most specialized part and it really isn't.

For a gaming console production above 15 million units in it's first year is PS2/Wii territory. Production costs will slide rapidly for both consoles. MS less so because of its memory solution and GPU. Which is why I'm pretty sure they are eating a bit by doing this.

Node shrinks are for drastic cost reductions.

Why do people think Sony needs to drop price. They won't be anytime soon. It's the companies flagship device now.

This isn't pre ps3 Sony. They spun off TVs, phones are doing poorly and they sold off computers.

They can't compete on price. MS brings in too much money. In 2013 they had 16 billion dollar business doubled from 8 in 2010.

Those aren't the only things that lead to production cost reductions. Just the very act of being popular will have that effect. The more specific parts are produced the cheaper they become. Neither console was working from the cutting edge, and PS4 went a step further by having almost no esoteric designs at all. The GPU is the most specialized part and it really isn't.

For a gaming console production above 15 million units in it's first year is PS2/Wii territory. Production costs will slide rapidly for both consoles. MS less so because of its memory solution and GPU. Which is why I'm pretty sure they are eating a bit by doing this.

Node shrinks are for drastic cost reductions.

Even if that were true, the parts are generally sold at a specific cost that is usually negotiated by contract for a certain period of time. As in, for the first year, Sony is going to buy the APU for $120, no matter if the yields greatly improve and cost per chip comes way down. At the end of whatever period there is, they can renegotiate and lower the cost, but until then every part costs the same. It's part of why Microsoft got so pissed off at nVidia and discontinued the original Xbox early (they got into a bad contract with nVidia that allowed nVidia to keep the price of the GPU relatively high, no matter how much costs had been reduced).

I think the gap will be much smaller, it was as big as it was in November partly thanks to black friday.

Euron

MW7D0Gm.jpg

Ugh. I finally played it and it wasn't broken at all, just boring. I think I've just gotten sick of the series, buying every game each year since 2 with little innovation (note: didn't buy Unity myself, just played somebody else's). Somehow I haven't gotten this sick of CoD yet and neither have many other people apparently.

Amazon charts are a bit closer for December so far. I think it'll be a 200-300k difference this time.
I'm thinkin about 150-250k in December. I'm interested to see wich sells better in January, by February the PS4 will likely start selling better again, but January seems like a complete unknown.

What's mystified me is Sony's complete lack of a response.
They sold 800K+ consoles. They still have a 700K lead. They're selling well in non-US territories, and considerably better in most besides the UK than the XBO. They're probably on track to around 19-20M units shipped by end of calendar year.

They don't really need to respond.

I'm not sure what the mystery is.

samar11

They sold 800K+ consoles. They still have a 700K lead. They're selling well in non-US territories, and considerably better in most besides the UK than the XBO. They're probably on track to around 19-20M units shipped by end of calendar year.

US = World mentality I guess. lol

Well I was always running on the assumption that they wanted MS out of competition.

I kind of figured that was why they announced the price of $399 such a short time after MS had announced their price. Having the more advanced hardware for cheaper.

samar11

Well I was always running on the assumption that they wanted MS out of competition.

I kind of figured that was why they announced the price of $399 such a short time after MS had announced their price. Having the more advanced hardware for cheaper.

The price was already set before MS announced theirs. They weren't reacting, MS just fucked up.

You have the updated numbers?

Guesstimate based on the previous figures. We know that when it was #9 it did more than 661k, but less than 700k and the bundle did ~800k. The difference between #5-#9 seemed small so I put it around the 100k ballpark as a few others have done. If you add that to the previous figures, then that would give you between 1562-1599k total.

It could be more or less than that depending on whether my estimate on the gap between #5-9 is correct. However, even if it is considerably less(or more), it's still pretty much guaranteed that it sold more than GTA V including bundles based on the minimum range we had for it prior to the adjustment which was 1462k. GTA V is at 1470k w/ bundles.

Dargor

About ps4 numbers: If I remember correctly there were talks about 16M ps4s being sold at the end of the first year, at the beggining of the gen. How did that turn out? Does anyone have any numbers on that? I remember that it was suposed to be shipped numbers and what not, though.

We're just nearing xmas and suddenly I remembered about that. I didn't have an account at the time, but I accompanied it from the sidelines.

US = World mentality I guess. lol

Or the Xbox One is doomed mentality has shifted to PS4 is doomed mentality?

Maybe egos are being tested of the people who were sure the X1 would never outsell the PS4. So they are pissed that Sony is not taking part in the price cutting contest?

samar11

Or the Xbox One is doomed mentality has shifted to PS4 is doomed mentality?

Maybe egos are being tested of the people who were sure the X1 would never outsell the PS4. So they are pissed that Sony is not taking part in the price cutting contest?

Yes I get what you are saying.
You do have Xbox One selling at such an amazing unbelievable WTF OMG value, why in the world are people shocked that it is outselling PS4.

Elandyll

Banned
People saying the XB1 has or is about to overtake the PS4 in NA. If we assume that Amazon is and has been accurate in rankings (and it has had a 100% accuracy so far), that would mean that the XB1 ACU bundle would be passing the PS4 on the yearly 2014 ranking. Last time I checked, the bundle was doing great (15th position now), but still nowhere near the PS4 which still sits at #4 for the year.

That could probably still change (updates seem to roll in much slower since November), but imo even though the gap will shrink people expecting to see the XB1 passing the PS4 by having a 800.000+ gap will be disappointed.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Yes I get what you are saying.
You do have Xbox One selling at such an amazing unbelievable WTF OMG value, why in the world are people shocked that it is outselling PS4.
Because its the "Xbone" and pretty much has everything going against it from mindshare to worse hardware. Why would anyone buy it over PS4 even if its cheaper?

crazyprac

Comon even you have noted microsoft war chest. The consoles are close enough that neither one will get kicked out of competition. What were probably seeing is Sony imo keeping as much profit in their sales as long as the overall mind share isn't detiorating. Microsoft on the other hand is pushing these great deals to counter that. I don't think microsoft will run out of money and I don't think Sony will decrease their price unless the WW numbers are much closer. In this case it still a huge gap. Coming from a crappy financial situation and decreased mind share from last gen, I would think Sony is happy just where they are at.

Because its the "Xbone" and pretty much has everything going against it from mindshare to worse hardware. Why would anyone buy it over PS4 even if its cheaper?

Because... Its cheaper? Majority of people will look at the media portrayal of how similar the games are and how great the sale is, they will forgo advantages for lesser price. A console is a hobby not a necessity. I bet people hold phones in higher regards that's why you see people paying premium for them.

Top Bottom