• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for November 2015 [Up3: Combined Hardware For PS4 + XB1 + Wii U]

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I still think nx is going to be a mobile spec platform. The handheld will be a suped up vita and there will be a vitatv equivalent that upscales the games and maybe ups framerate and adds effects for a TV. I think the home nx will get lots of multiplatform games from Japanese developers, but that's because it will automatically receive all handheld games.

That's my thought. I see no benefit of having two specs to target again. Nintendo consistently shows they can't hack it. Given the handheld spec is far more important you their business, the console will be derivative of that.

I think iPhone to iPad is the model.

Xbone is really not a strong global console but there will still be 12 million of them in merka so why would you not release it on that unless it's a jrpg?

Y2Kev

Don't you remember the Wii u speculation thread? The last time we had such a big prereleaae thread for something that would go on to flop that massively was the last lady gaga album.

kadotsu

Banned
Don't you remember the Wii u speculation thread? The last time we had such a big prereleaae thread for something that would go on to flop that massively was the last lady gaga album.

Well nothing will ever top the positive reactions to the VITA being "only" $249.

I think people are putting way too much faith in NX considering we know nothing about it. Temper expectations until you see what the thing is.

Baffles me. Completely baffles me. I don't know what has changed in the past 3 years since the Wii U released and bombed that suddenly makes people think Nintendo is going to release a PS4/XB1 hardware level machine that'll hook third parties so assuredly. It screams wishful thinking, rather than informed speculation.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Baffles me. Completely baffles me. I don't know what has changed in the past 3 years since the Wii U released and bombed that suddenly makes people think Nintendo is going to release a PS4/XB1 hardware level machine that'll hook third parties so assuredly. It screams wishful thinking, rather than informed speculation.
The part about the home console being on the level of a PS4 or XB1 seems quite tame. It will be 2.5 years after those launched after all.

Of course that still leaves the topic of will it be a dedicated home console and third party relations.

The part about the home console being on the level of a PS4 or XB1 seems quite tame. It will be 2.5 years after those launched after all.

Of course that still leaves the topic of will it be a dedicated home console and third party relations.

People aren't going to jump on a Nintendo console on the same level as their PS4/XB1 that plays the same games as their PS4/XB1 which will mean low sales for third party games which means third parties drop support.

Y2Kev

Well, the handheld form will be launching this year and not the console (based on 3DS end of life considerations, the digitimes reports about expected shipments), so going XB1/PS4 tech would be quite impressive.

It'll be more like 3.5 years if it launches in 2017 and, just like the Wii U, will be competing in another year or so with new systems (Microsoft is definitely launching in 2018).

That's why I don't think they will go for an XB1 spec. I think it'll be WiiU+...some of the finest mobile hardware at an affordable price they can sell at their old-school 30%+ EBITDA margin. Complete compatibility between devices and a unified network infrastructure.

I just don't see the point of challenging Microsoft and Sony with an XB1 spec machine. The only thing the NX has to do is run UE4.

benny_a

People aren't going to jump on a Nintendo console on the same level as their PS4/XB1 that plays the same games as their PS4/XB1 which will mean low sales for third party games which means third parties drop support.
Yeah I wasn't trying to imply it's a small problem.

In my mind seeing how Ubisoft responds to the NX will be the barometer. They are quick to support every platform but I think even they got burned too hard on the Wii U.

Yeah, I think that on it's own is quite tame, and likely the case, if not slightly below their power levels. And, I agree, that is the big question here. What I'm kind of baffled about is that the theory that it'll match the hardware in the PS4/XB1 has has lead to the belief that certain 3rd party games/franchises are almost certain to show up on the system.

I remember how this line of thinking was employed in the run up to Wii U, and we all know how that turned out. Nintendo has given me no reason to expect this time to be any different. So, I feel as though a lot of Nintendo's fans are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Who else remembers that "Is there any reason Wii U won't succeed in Japan?" thread?

EGM1966

they wish, lol.

joke post I hope
Well I meant relatively... Clearly Forza would be fine with GT6 sales. I just meant it came wrong time relative to its predecessor and took a hit accordingly (aggravated by low European install base).

Most exciting is that we still do not know what NX actually is and if there is a special twist that makes it stand out.
It did not always work but it's cool that they try to think out of the box.
VR/stereoscopy (even if it flopped)
Dual screen
Waggle
3D
Tablet controller

Will there be something new and what might it be? Holograms, electroshocks, smellovision?
Or did they notice that freak architecture scares off 3rd parties?

Oregano

Yeah, I think that on it's own is quite tame, and likely the case, if not slightly below their power levels. And, I agree, that is the big question here. What I'm kind of baffled about is that the theory that it'll match the hardware in the PS4/XB1 has has lead to the belief that certain 3rd party games/franchises are almost certain to show up on the system.

I remember how this line of thinking was employed in the run up to Wii U, and we all know how that turned out. Nintendo has given me no reason to expect this time to be any different. So, I feel as though a lot of Nintendo's fans are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Who else remembers that "Is there any reason Wii U won't succeed in Japan?" thread?

I think people are going overboard with it but in the case of Tekken that wouldn't be too surprising. Both the Wii U and 3DS got Tekken releases and the Tekken team has worked closely with Nintendo the last few years. Actually when Pokken was announced for Europe Shibata made special note of it being Tekken's 20th anniversary next year.

Even if NX is lower specced and primarily handheld it might not be too far-fetched(if it supports UE4 anyway). They did port the Tekken games to PSP relatively unscathed after all.

QaaQer

How hard it is to match/exceed depends on what price they are targeting and what else is in the box. It's much harder at $249 than $399.

StevieP

Banned
Ps4 cost around $281 @ launch

Don't pay attention to those BOM estimates on the net. They're bunk in the first place and don't include the important things like retailer margins, shipping, assembly, testing, packaging, yada yada. This makes them deceptive as a barometer of cost to manufacture.

Ps4 was losing money at launch. Thankfully not PS3 levels of money, but it's enough to show you how wrong those sites are.

Go look at some BOM estimates of the 3ds at launch and then read some statements about how much it was losing with their price cut to 180 as well. According to an old Forbes article out there somewhere, iirc the Wii was making Nintendo 6 dollars per console at launch. The Wii.

Point being, don't pay attention to those sites.

I still think nx is going to be a mobile spec platform. The handheld will be a suped up vita and there will be a vitatv equivalent that upscales the games and maybe ups framerate and adds effects for a TV.

I'm thinking along the same lines. If people are expecting the NX to compete against MS/Sony with the same kinds of games and specs I think they're in for a heck of a rude awakening.

Y2Kev

They're not necessarily completely bunk, they just don't include a lot of costs that need to be factored in (which you enumerated). The fixed costs (or costs that inflexibly fluctuate with scale, like shipping) are very significant and I don't know why people assume Foxconn operates for free!

Most exciting is that we still do not know what NX actually is and if there is a special twist that makes it stand out.
It did not always work but it's cool that they try to think out of the box.
VR/stereoscopy (even if it flopped)
Dual screen
Waggle
3D
Tablet controller

Will there be something new and what might it be? Holograms, electroshocks, smellovision?
Or did they notice that freak architecture scares off 3rd parties?
Oh, for sure.

Nintendo will continue to flexibly transform itself by adapting to changing times while constantly valuing the spirit of originality based on the belief that the “true value of entertainment lies in its uniqueness” - and will continue to provide products and services that people will be surprised and delighted by.

Nintendo will make sure they put something "innovative" into the machine. Their greatest strength and weakness.

Blanquito

Kev, I'm curious about your thoughts that nextbox is going to release in 2018. You think they want to get the jump on next gen and try to emulate what they did with the 360? Do you think Sony will release to match them or wait it out until they're ready?

benny_a

Usually when things get boring you spice it up by role-playing. I'll blame the weather in January for the worse than December sales.

No idea if any of ya'll care about this but the Battlefront bundle is out of production
The game is so terrible they don't make 'em any more. At least that is a relief.

No idea if any of ya'll care about this but the Battlefront bundle is out of production

RIP Sweet Prince. I'm sure Sony is happy with the Battlefront bundle at the end of the day, looks like it really did ride the Episode 7 hype train with the impressive sales it was pulling this month.

Now I guess they'll keep pushing the Nathan Drake Collection bundle until it's time for the UC4 bundle. I wonder if Sony is planning a Street Fighter V bundle, that would be the next major title that Sony could push, especially with UC4 getting pushed back 1 more month.

Bgamer90

Banned
I expect nothing from NX

therefore I won't be disappointed.

This is the best thing to do. I don't know why anyone is doing the opposite after the wiiu

100% agree. System could be more powerful than the PS5 and it probably wouldn't matter much considering mainstream is greatly locked into the Playstation and Xbox brands being the "cool" place for core third party multiplats.

I will get it as long as it's a solid "Nintendo box" with exclusives I want to play.

Mory Dunz

This is the best thing to do. I don't know why anyone is doing the opposite after the wiiu

same.
I expect the basics. I only buy around 10-12 games per home system regardless. From NX I expect a 3D Mario (don't play 2D that much), a Zelda, Kart, Smash, a DK, something unexpected (like w101), an rpg (Last story or Xeno....or PM). And then I may get stuff like Yoshi, Kirby, Star Fox, etc if they're good. And a few 3rd party games if exclsive, since I have a PC. Like MH.

that's kinda it.

years of experience has reduced expectations

Welfare

That thread asking about if the NX would be your main console on the premise that Nintendo actually give a shit about "power" is very funny. After the Wii U being only slightly more powerful than the 360 after releasing 7 years later than it, why should anyone assume that suddenly the successor is going to rival even the Xbox One in power?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Oh, golly, NX speculation in NPD threads too! I'm so darn excited to read about it here as well!

No need to worry, every single japanese 3rd party game is guaranteed to have an NX version, they just can't announce it yet because it hasn't been evealed.

Or so i've read in other threads anyway, so it must be true /s

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
No need to worry, every single japanese 3rd party game is guaranteed to have an NX version, they just can't announce it yet because it hasn't been evealed.

Or so i've read in other threads anyway, so it must be true /s

Well, that's technically true: the console hasn't been unveiled yet, thus publishers can't freely announce games for the console yet. The only two cases we had have been characterised by major backtracking by Square (DQX and XI).

But it's also true that this line of thinking is annoying and exasperated in some cases (one of them have been banned from GAF, fortunately), so...decent joke XD

Well, that's technically true: the console hasn't been unveiled yet, thus publishers can't freely announce games for the console yet. The only two cases we had have been characterised by major backtracking by Square (DQX and XI).

But it's also true that this line of thinking is annoying and exasperated in some cases (one of them have been banned from GAF, fortunately), so...decent joke XD

out of curiosity, which user got banned?

Top Bottom