• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2013 [Up2: 3DS, 360, Pokemon Combined, GTAV]

nintendo will not kill wiiu. thr 5 owners of wiiu are one thing. the other is that its tellong consumers that nintendo will kill a platform if they dont like the sales in a year. that message will be applicable to handhwlds as well.

in other words many consumers will have reluctance to buy in a nintendo platform if its not an out of the gate success

that is an image that brought the downfall of sega

I'm an optimist by nature, so I'm still predicting 1 million Wii U sold between November and December (350.000 + 650.000). But man, more like HW numbers the SW numbers are catastrophic Ö (the HW numbers are not better).

And not to justify the Wii Party U sales but wasn't in the US where Wii Party sold the less amount by a wide margin? (I'm remembering something like +2 million in Europe, +2.5 million in Japan and only 0.5 million in US? Someone please correct me).

Hoping for a good November with the new consoles launching but damn, the industry is not in a good spot for now :(

wii party waa 8-9 milliom worldwide. dunno the break down

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Those games won't do very well on Sony's or Microsoft's systems, though. Lego won't magically be a hit on the PS4Xbone any more than CoD was magically going to be a huge hit on the Wii. Given the reception of Knack and collapse of the Wii U, there just isn't much place left on consoles for Lego/Sonic style games.

Virtually all of Sega's games bombed on PS3/360 last generation. It was catastrophic for them; Golden Axe, Golden Compass, Virtua Fighter 5, Sonic the Hedgehog -- a long list of hugely underperforming titles on those platforms.

Oh, I agree. I shouldn't have posted those two thoughts close together.

A) Nintendo's utter collapse has been a disaster for various third parties reliant on them selling strong numbers in the console market. I don't know what they can do at this point. They're just screwed; it is a catastrophic result. We can laugh it up and Iwata will surely end up on his ass but the Lego games are going to go from 1MM reliable sellers to like 200K shitsvilles now. The market has just completely evaporated.

That said, they can perhaps adjust and sell on mobile. Sonic definitely already has a strong presence there.

B) Any third party on a Nintendo platform should just leave. Depart post-haste.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
If the holiday sales are atrocious (as I'm sadly staring to believe will be the case) Nintendo May have to:

1. Drop the Gamepad to an accessory
2. Rebrand as Wii 2 (but still the same machine.
3. Drop price to $200
4. Wii Sports Club pre-installed

Hiccup

Banned
If the holiday sales are atrocious (as I'm sadly staring to believe will be the case) Nintendo May have to:

3. Drop price to $200

This realistically seems like the only choice ATM.

kinggroin

Banned
Its not like there are literally only 5 Wii Us out there.

I just have to question whats the point of buying this system if there aren't any intentions to play games on it.

There ARE games on it!

Ah well, it will have been a fun 2 years.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
My other thoughts:

-2DS selling so well really shows the price elasticity of gaming items, especially in (but not limited to) the kids market. I don't know what people are expecting with the Xbox One but I think price is going to be a very big issue. People just don't have this kind of money to spend.

-The 2DS selling well with stripped out "core functionality" (even though we know reality here) tells me Nintendo's only hope is to ditch the Gamepad and sell at $199 or $179 like tomorrow. The thing is not a differentiator, the games barely use it, no one gives a fuck about it, and it is time to cut our losses. If people want it, sell it separately but the reality is there are so few users of the platform that Nintendo has to just cut them off at the knees wrt: backwards compatibility if they want to have any hope of turning this thing around (and they don't anyway).

Its not like there are literally only 5 Wii Us out there.

I just have to question whats the point of buying this system if there aren't any intentions to play games on it.

There ARE games on it!

Ah well, it will have been a fun 2 years.

The system is owned by the hardest of hardcore Nintendo fans that are only going to buy Nintendo games.

My other thoughts:

-2DS selling so well really shows the price elasticity of gaming items, especially in (but not limited to) the kids market. I don't know what people are expecting with the Xbox One but I think price is going to be a very big issue. People just don't have this kind of money to spend.

-The 2DS selling well with stripped out "core functionality" (even though we know reality here) tells me Nintendo's only hope is to ditch the Gamepad and sell at $199 or $179 like tomorrow. The thing is not a differentiator, the games barely use it, no one gives a fuck about it, and it is time to cut our losses. If people want it, sell it separately but the reality is there are so few users of the platform that Nintendo has to just cut them off at the knees wrt: backwards compatibility if they want to have any hope of turning this thing around (and they don't anyway).

The system is owned by the hardest of hardcore Nintendo fans that are only going to buy Nintendo games.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we don't have any solid 2DS sales so far, do we? The split might be like 10:1 for 3DS/XL to 2DS or the other way around.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_

3. Drop price to $200

and this would not be a horrible thing. Better to "save" a dying platform than to kill it off early. They do those things you suggested, plus bundle in mario land with all systems, and plan a "relaunch" in March/Spring time. Current WiiU owners won't complain much because the games will continue to work for them. "The Wii 2 is here! Fully backwards compatible with all your Wii games! now with HD graphics!" Many Wii owners will probably consider PS3 or 360 for their growing kids, but Wii 2 could be an option if marketed correctly.

Target those parents hard and get the stores to start stocking Wii 2 hardware/software in easier to find spots. This thing needs electric shock therapy man... only way it could survive.

kinggroin

Banned
My other thoughts:

And THOSE don't even seem to sell what they should then.

I'm starting believe that Wii killed off any good will among enthusiast gamers, and the way Nintendo handled the tail end of the Wii's lifespan, ensured casuals weren't coming back.

Its a slow painful wait until they ditch the console sector or go third party. They sure as hell don't care to rectify the situation the same way they have with the 3DS.

Metallix87

Agreed. Replace the Game Pad with a Pro controller, Wiimote Plus, and nunchuk, rename the thing Wii 2 or Super Wii, price as close to $200 as possible, and hope for a miracle.

I don't mind the Wii U Pad. I mind the price. I am NOT paying a dollar over $200 for 2006 tech.

I am first in line to buy the Wii U @ $199 with the Pad and even with 0 games bundled.

Just drop the price Nintendo and the sales will come.

sphinx

the piano man
-The 2DS selling well with stripped out "core functionality" (even though we know reality here) tells me Nintendo's only hope is to ditch the Gamepad and sell at $199 or $179 like tomorrow.

with such a small software presence, will even that make a difference?? remember the Gamecube price drop, it never took off or anything.

people at large don't want it, period, gamepad or not...

so what makes more sense for nintendo?

A.- sell at 299 to 5 people, having expected to sell to 20 people. stick to their initial plan

B.- sell at 199 to 8 people having expected to sell to 20 people, creating software production problems with the gamepad now being optional.

I really don't know

But the Wii U Pad is wonderful and magical blabla, the system and OS wouldn't work without it etc. etc., what about all the games that need it something something.

Anyway, yes, that's the most viable option at this stage, assuming sales continue to stall.

Metallix87

I don't mind the Wii U Pad.

I am first in line to buy the Wii U @ $199 with the Pad and even with 0 games bundled.
The problem with the Game Pad is that it seems like Nintendo built the controller just for Game & Wario and Nintendo Land, and then had no other ideas on how to properly utilize it. It's not adding any real value to the hardware if games don't use it well.

RurouniZel

and this would not be a horrible thing. Better to "save" a dying platform than to kill it off early. They do those things you suggested, plus bundle in mario land with all systems, and plan a "relaunch" in March/Spring time. Current WiiU owners won't complain much because the games will continue to work for them. "The Wii 2 is here! Fully backwards compatible with all your Wii games! now with HD graphics!" Many Wii owners will probably consider PS3 or 360 for their growing kids, but Wii 2 could be an option if marketed correctly.

Target those parents hard and get the stores to start stocking Wii 2 hardware/software in easier to find spots. This thing needs electric shock therapy man... only way it could survive.

Well, the issue is that this is not that the boat has a leak; the boat is rapidly moving toward capsizing. Drastic measures are needed. This year (and likely this holiday will) prove the Gamepad is a failed idea; no one wants it and it's keeping the price out of the range people want to spend.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Oh, I agree. I shouldn't have posted those two thoughts close together.

A) Nintendo's utter collapse has been a disaster for various third parties reliant on them selling strong numbers in the console market. I don't know what they can do at this point. They're just screwed; it is a catastrophic result. We can laugh it up and Iwata will surely end up on his ass but the Lego games are going to go from 1MM reliable sellers to like 200K shitsvilles now. The market has just completely evaporated.

That said, they can perhaps adjust and sell on mobile. Sonic definitely already has a strong presence there.

B) Any third party on a Nintendo platform should just leave. Depart post-haste.

If you're referring to Nintendo home console in the West, then I can comprehend your statement. If you're talking about Nintendo consoles in the West as a whole, including handhelds, I'd tend to disagree. I mean, 3DS has demonstrated it can sell Western third party games aimed at children / more casual audience, especially through time, even with very slow debuts. It's with Western core third party titles (and not with Japanese ones) that the situation is bad, pretty bad. Not massive numbers yet for most of these kind of games, but things should only improve in the future thanks to 2DS, and we've already seen titles like Sonic Generations and the first Angry Birds doing well, if not too much (I'm looking at you, Angry Birds Trilogy :lol ); Lego City Undercover also performed quite well so far.

Stripping down the Wii U with no gamepad is crazy considering that's the main selling point that's seperating the system from PS4 and Xbone. If all Nintendo cared about was technical prowess, they would have showed their version of PS4 2 years ago at $399 with no tablet controller

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

They were initially pretty successful on the PS2 right, before there was a Wii. I think it has more to do with console proliferation but you may be right that by the time the XBone and PS4 hit that saturation point, the lego games don't have a market to sustain them.....unless the 360 and PS3 are still viable via price drops the next couple of years. I wouldn't write them off just yet.

To those saying drop the Pad: how would Wii U games work then? Isn't it an integral part of the system?

Batman, AssCree, Watch Dogs etc. are all using Wii U Pad. How would I play those games w/o the physical accessory attached?!?

Please explain, thanks.

Selling a Wii U w/o Pad @ $199 creates too many compatibility problems IMO.

kinggroin

Banned
To those saying drop the Pad: how would Wii U games work then? Isn't it an integral part of the system?

Batman, AssCree, Watch Dogs etc. are all using Wii U Pad. How would I play those games w/o the physical accessory attached?!?

Please explain, thanks.

The Wii U gamepad is an option. Those games work with the standard controller pro.

Metallix87

Please explain, thanks.

Update those games to make it optional.

Stripping down the Wii U with no gamepad is crazy considering that's the main selling point
If it was a selling point then the system would actually sell.

Please explain, thanks.
Probably like the other 3-5 systems those games are on that aren't stuck with an albatross for a controller.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I would position that the Wii name itself is poison at this point and they would be better served going with Nintendo Ultra or something, or even Nintendo Home DS before Wii 2.

Gamepads gotta go though, since even Nintendo havent been able to justify it with a core gimmick. But then on the flipside, I don't think Nintendo have the infrastructure to patch it out cleanly from past core software theyd want to sell to the new install base and the massive swerve the Zelda team would have to take with whatever theyre working on.

Metallix87

Lego City as well.

Considering how few games there are, it wouldn't be an enormous expense to patch them all.
Agreed. Update most games to make it optional, then sell it separately for $80 and also a bundle with Game & Wario and Nintendo Land DL codes for $110.

Sendou

They could surely make Wii U work without GamePad but would it be worth it? They would still need to pack in some other (more unappealing I would argue) controller and how much could they afford lower the price then? $50? $100 and probably selling it at a massive loss?

Metallix87

They could surely make Wii U work without GamePad but would it be worth it? They would still need to pack in some other (more unappealing I would argue) controller and how much could they afford lower the price then? $50? $100 and probably selling it at a massive loss?
The Wii U Game Pad costs around $80 to make. They could probably build a pro controller, Wiimote Plus, AND nunchuk for far less.

jcm

Pokemon gave the 3DS a nice comp. Nice YOY, beat the PSP GOG, matched the NDS GOG.

Code:
Year Over Year                  
         2013    2012    % Change
360       166     270     -38.52%
PS3       110     170     -35.29%
WIU        55             
WII        35      45     -22.22%
3DS       452     245      84.49%
NDS               110    
PSV        30      35     -14.29%
PSP                10    

Family                  
MSFT      166     270     -38.52%
SONY      140     215     -34.88%
NINT      542     400      35.50%

HAND      482     400      20.50%
CONSOLE   366     485     -24.54%

Gen over Gen                    
Console  2013    2006    % Change
360               218     
PS2               235     
XBX                     
GCN                     
TOTAL     366     453     -19.21%

Handheld 2013    2007    % Change
NDS               458     
PSP               286     
GBA                     
Total     482     744     -35.22%

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The main selling point of Wii U is system sellers. I believe Mario 3D World is one of them. And of course Mario Kart.

Nintendo can reduce the console price point while keeping the GamePad. They'd just need to take a big initial loss, like big guys do. They made 6 millions profits last quarter, which is a shame, they should have taken a 300 millions loss to advertize their summer/fall games.

They probably believe their system sellers will convert their 3DS audience at one point, and they are probably right. No doubt they will lose 3rd party support in the process (which on the other hand may give more visibility to indie games to fill the void). I'm afraid 2014 will be a poor year in terms of 3rd party support, but if Wii U finally starts selling with DK, Mario Kart or Smash, they could be back in 2015. The best we can hope for at this point is that Nintendo planned a stellar release schedule for next year in terms of 1st party games.

RurouniZel

Next month will really tell us what we need to know.

If Holiday Black Friday/Mario 3D World are bad, December will also be bad.

Top Bottom