• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

NateDrake

I dont understand what this means? Is this some kind of spin that makes SO chart without charting?

If NPD was the Top 10 selling games - as in they could list CoD 5 times in the Top 10 instead of just once - Sunset would have ranked #9.

Before people start thinking #9 is some amazing placement, Hyrule Warriors was ranked #11 on the muliplatform list last month and sold around 170k.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sounds like they all did pretty bad.

I feel on the whole we continue to see the importance of third parties rise versus what the first parties are able to put out.

Obviously there are exceptions like Smash, but third parties are releasing the vast majority of major hits and console selling titles these days.

I really hope Evolution don't get shut down because of Drive Club. Even though DC has its problems and the poor sales seem deserved, I really enjoyed the Motorstorm series last gen and wish they would continue on that.

freefornow

Is the 28% decline in physical software sales being offset by digital uptake??
Or has there been a decrease in "output" for consumers to buy?
Has this sort of decline been seen at other Gen transitions? Eg: Gen 6> Gen 7?

akashhhhh

While it's crazy to think Smash Wii U will hit #1, I think you're underestimating the Smash 3DS numbers. It's #2 this month, but it doesn't account for the 705K sold in the first 2 days (570K of which were retail copies) because those counted under September's sales.

Worth mentioning that Smash 3DS and Wii U sales should be combined next month. Could chart very high.

MaulerX

Digital numbers? Surely not higher than the copies sold at retail.
Bundled? I'm talking about sold, not "gifted for free if you buy the console for 349$".

Nice way to sidestep the question. You made it sound as if we had concrete sales numbers. We don't. That's all.

QaaQer

Wow. That studio is absolutely done. A year delay, an absolute fucking disaster launch, and poor sales as the cherry on the shit sundae. RIP Evolution Studios.

I thought so too, but we do not know the whole story. Given the size of the team, I have to wonder if Sony's penny pinching meant not enough resources/expertise.

Aw come on, MK8 was 2nd place on May and only 2 or 3 days of data were taken since it released at the very end of May. Smash U will do well and it will chart high :)

MK8 went up against Watch Dogs and a bunch of nothing, Smash goes up against CoD, AC:Unity, GTA V, and more (even Pokemon!)

edit: well if it is actually combined with the 3DS version it will definitely show up, I dunno about that however...

Aw come on, MK8 was 2nd place on May and only 2 or 3 days of data were taken since it released at the very end of May. Smash U will do well and it will chart high :)
There are a lot of titles releasing in the same tracking period, on more and more active platforms.

2 Assassin's Creeds, Lego Batman, Call of Duty, Halo MCC, Far Cry, GTA, Dragon Age, Pokemon (which I think are counted as separate SKUs from memory). That in itself is probably enough to fill the top ten all formats.

please, just charting while only be on one platform (the least successful of all the consoles) will be a huge achievement. charting high won't matter if it sells well.

MMaRsu

Banned
I really hope Evolution don't get shut down because of Drive Club. Even though DC has its problems and the poor sales seem deserved, I really enjoyed the Motorstorm series last gen and wish they would continue on that.

Driveclub is also a pretty great game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There are a lot of titles releasing in the same tracking period, on more and more active platforms.

2 Assassin's Creeds, Lego Batman, Call of Duty, Halo MCC, Far Cry, GTA, Dragon Age.

A lot of sports games hold well into the November season as well, especially Madden and NBA.

RPGamer92

Banned
I also wonder how the TEW will do this month. A lot of big games come out but on the other hand, a lot of places will discount it to $25 this Black Friday.

KooopaKid

Banned
Is the 28% decline in physical software sales being offset by digital uptake??
Or has there been a decrease in "output" for consumers to buy?
Has this sort of decline been seen at other Gen transitions? Eg: Gen 6> Gen 7?

My guess is no for your first question.
No idea for the others. Interested in knowing too.
That 28% drop can't be good.

You guys were expecting DC to chart? In the US? With a cheaper digital copy available? Not to mention all the online issues.

DC had NPD bomb written all over it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
???

In the US?, what the hell are you smoking dude.

more likely the online issues killed whatever small chance it had

I said awhile back it wasn't tracking that well anyway ::shrug::

It's a new IP in a small genre. It was never going to 'do well' in the bloated sense of expectations consumers have now in 'what does well.'

I'm sure it was going to do fine.
It's issues however, we'll see how it works out longterm.

Told ya that

Sunset wasnt charting :(

PS4 was winning.

Thanks for the hint MS. Also thanks for making November a lock for Sony due to how atrocious MCC has been

If NPD was the Top 10 selling games - as in they could list CoD 5 times in the Top 10 instead of just once - Sunset would have ranked #9.

That was the old way. Used to be so good. This way is kind of misleading. People think evil within sold good but hypothetically it could have sold 400,000 combined.

Top Bottom