• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

Dynedom

I hope people have the sense to realize that if MS does lose and only loses by a small amount, that is is still a "victory" of sorts to them. They'd be quite happy. Meltdowns are only really justified if MS loses handily to Sony.

Similarly, MS only winning by a small margin shouldn't be causing meltdowns in the Sony camp either.

I think either way it's meltdown central. Can't tell me the Sony fans that can't tolerate any good Xbox news will take them losing November easy

No matter what happens yahoo will be full of more articles with half truths.

I think most folks will just be happy to see them close.

allan-bh

If xbox can't outsell ps4 with all these sales. They might really be fucked.

I don't think so.

In my opinion some people lost perspective. This is not battle for first place anymore, that is secured for PS4. We have to look how strong Xbox One will be in second place.

Who thinks that Xbox One can regain the lead in US is deluding himself. That ship has sailed.

thuway

we're not talking sane people though. we're talking about the same kind of people who were convinced romney would win because of skewed polls and shit.
Honestly, there is no single way PS4 will win NPD. Microsoft has had a sale going on the entire month and has went crazier each and every week. For PS4 to win, is a sign that Microsoft really needs to reassess everything.

joecanada

I don't think so.

In my opinion some people lost perspective. This is not battle for first place anymore, that is secured for PS4. We have to look how strong Xbox One will be in second place.

Who thinks that Xbox One can regain the lead in US is deluding himself. That ship has sailed.

Well i think xbox could actually catch sony in the US with 200 dollar xbox but man it'd be cheaper for them not to sell any at that point. You are basically needing everyone to buy 3-4 games just to break even at some point like that...

Opiate

Actual response from 3rd party pubs and retail will likely be:

MS wins Nov - Okay. MCC and the discounts worked. No big change to strategy.

Sony wins Nov - Okay. Status quo. No big change to strategy.

Nin shows signs of life - Well that's good. No big change to strategy.

While a huge deal on message boards, Nov is fairly meaningless in the big picture. No one at any of the first parties is going to jump out a window or anything over this.

The fan base gets so much more emotional about this stuff. Thank goodness it cares so much.

The enormous, consistent-for-several-years sales of the Wii barely changed third party strategies -- the big publishers' top games and prestige developers continued to focus their efforts on the sames types of games for the Xbox/Playstation. Even the overwhelming success of the iPhone hasn't gotten more than modest exploration from Take 2/Activision/Ubisoft, and EA has simply bought out successful developers rather than redirect their premier developers (e.g. Bioware or DICE) to that platform.

At this point, the publisher's strategy is as static as is possible; they are PS/Xbox publishers who port their games to PC and will make Nintendo ports if Nintendo pays for it or it costs two cents to do.

Total sales of the eBay Newegg promo are now >4,000 in two hours.

That's:

~2,900 in the first hour

~1,100 in the second hour

And this is at 2 AM on the East Coast in the USA.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much the sales will spike for the deal once it proliferates throughout the Internet tomorrow.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Total sales of the eBay Newegg promo are now >4,000 in two hours.

That's:

~2,900 in the first hour

~1,100 in the second hour

And this is at 2 AM on the East Coast in the USA.

I'm looking forward to seeing how much the sales will spike for the deal once it proliferates throughout the Internet tomorrow.

I would think it's going to sell out soon. It's only a "limited" quantity.
Last year there were only about 1,000 of the PS3 bundle. I'm surprised it's at 4k+ right now, I thought 4k would have been the max.

I would think it's going to sell out soon. It's only a "limited" quantity.
Last year there were only about 1,000 of the PS3 bundle. I'm surprised it's at 4k+ right now, I thought 4k would have been the max.

It seems like there is a total of 7,209 consoles being sold through this promo.

That's an extra 7K to PS4's November tally. Every little bit helps.

LoL

If statham's meltdown in that Ebay PS4 thread is a preview of things to come if MS loses November, then the November NPD will be a graveyard of greyed out names.

is statham banned? I hope not. we lose or most entertaining protagonists in advance...
my guess is still that MS takes november, but not by wide margin, december depends on the deals coming, but in 2015 they will fall off a cliff (xbox has no games), especially if they put the price up again and stop bundling stuff like crazy.

edit: I read the Ebay treat. don't find it ban worthy, but that's not my decision.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
I hope people have the sense to realize that if MS does lose and only loses by a small amount, that is is still a "victory" of sorts to them. They'd be quite happy.
Sorry, but I don't agree at all. Microsoft would definitely not be happy for having pulled out all stops and eking out a second place. They are playing for wins in November, and nothing short of actual victory for the month is acceptable for them.

Microsoft in general has it in their DNA to either dominate a market or not play at all. They are still in the game because they have convinced themselves that they won last generation.

Rymuth

Hey guys, if Xbone wins November, do you think we'll get an article headline from IGN like this

--Xbox wins November but Playstation made the most profit--

It only makes sense, doe, since they already did it before.

Oh who am I kidding, it's IGN. ;)

Hey guys, if Xbone wins November, do you think we'll get an article headline from IGN like this

I'm sure we will get 'PlayStation doooomed!' headlines. ;)

Xando

It will be more like "Xbox returns to domination, sells more than 10 million SKUs" and a little Sony has no gamez sub headline.

EGM1966

I hope people have the sense to realize that if MS does lose and only loses by a small amount, that is is still a "victory" of sorts to them. They'd be quite happy. Meltdowns are only really justified if MS loses handily to Sony.

Similarly, MS only winning by a small margin shouldn't be causing meltdowns in the Sony camp either.
Most will, key minority wont which is where the meltdowns come in. TBH unless its a literal tie NPD thread for November will surely contain meltdowns and hyperbole applenty. The stage is set as a PS4 victory will be seen as a nail in XB1 coffin and and XB1 victory will be taken as sign the tide has turned no matter how small the margin.

Basically stock up on popcorn is my view.

Most will, key minority wont which is where the meltdowns come in. TBH unless its a literal tie NPD thread for November will surely contain meltdowns and hyperbole applenty. The stage is set as a PS4 victory will be seen as a nail in XB1 coffin and and XB1 victory will be taken as sign the tide has turned no matter how small the margin.

I have my popcorns ready. I even made a small bet that PS4 will win. Let's see. It's gonna get hot!

Return of the King
XBox One Takes the Lead in Next-Gen Race

How the Grinch Stole Black Friday
Will Sony's heart grow three sizes by Christmas?
Not likely.

Lemondish

I think either way it's meltdown central. Can't tell me the Sony fans that can't tolerate any good Xbox news will take them losing November easyNo matter what happens yahoo will be full of more articles with half truths.

I think most folks will just be happy to see them close.

I'm not so sure about that. They'll be quick to point out how the aggressive pricing and bundles was a sign of true desperation, which is likely to be the topic of the day for many of the more moderate or neutral types as well. I think it'll be pretty hard to tell the difference between a salty Sony fan and a level headed poster, to be honest.

Though they could go insane as a compensation mechanism.

onQ123

Speaking of which: How deep will this 2 months price cut & free games deal cut into MS profits?

These discounts have been somewhere around - $100 with all the free games & so on.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Honestly, there is no single way PS4 will win NPD. Microsoft has had a sale going on the entire month and has went crazier each and every week. For PS4 to win, is a sign that Microsoft really needs to reassess everything.

it depends how much demand is there that is satisfied with $329. It is possible that demand gets satisfied early in the month and for it to level off back to almost pre-nov levels.

MS would like to see a new baseline level for weekly sales set, but we won't see whether that is the case for a couple of months

Dynedom

Yeah, who am I kidding. Grabbing my popcorn as well.

Abdiel

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Just wanted to make a post before Black Friday nightmares begin. Be safe anyone going out to shop (especially those of you in the northeast like myself, where we got some serious snow and rain yesterday!).

Remember, that no matter how stupid the crowds get, just do your shopping and get out. For both the sanity of the staff at the stores, and your own. No product is worth injury.

Also, those of you heading into retail chains, please show some empathy for the staff. Most of us aren't exactly keen on working on thanksgiving day, but we're still going to be there.

Take care guys. I'll see you all on the other side.

gtj1092

The GTAV bundle is being underestimated. I think more PS4's will be sold than XB1 on BF.

Yeah a lot of people I talk to on non gaming sites are hyped for it and surprisingly the $450 bundles at Walmart are the most wanted ones. Which let's me know a lot of consumers still think a ps4 at $399 is a good value despite the xone price drop.

Edit: while shopping on amazon I noticed that ps4 is ranked in three different categories videogames, dvd, blu ray but the xone only in one. Why is that is it because Sony makes bluray players as well?

In IGN'S defense, Mitch wrote that piece and he is on the Xbox team. IGN is not all bad, you just have to check the author and know their angle.

thuway

The top selling ps4 is slowly catching up with the top selling Xbone on the november stats at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-11/videogames

10 days ago it was X1 7th place, PS4 16th. 5 days ago X1 10th, PS4 15th. Today X1 10th, PS4 14th.

Will it come down to black friday and available stock for the NPD?

Gut feeling says MS takes it by 150.000 in the end.

With the ridiculous deals going on at the moment - at Newegg, Ebay, and Fry's - who in the blue fuck is goin to buy it from Amazon?

Just wanted to make a post before Black Friday nightmares begin. Be safe anyone going out to shop (especially those of you in the northeast like myself, where we got some serious snow and rain yesterday!).

Remember, that no matter how stupid the crowds get, just do your shopping and get out. For both the sanity of the staff at the stores, and your own. No product is worth injury.

Also, those of you heading into retail chains, please show some empathy for the staff. Most of us aren't exactly keen on working on thanksgiving day, but we're still going to be there.

You stay safe today!^^ We all await your post holiday assessment^^

Percy

Banned
LoL

If statham's meltdown in that Ebay PS4 thread is a preview of things to come if MS loses November, then the November NPD will be a graveyard of greyed out names.

Holy shit, just looked up the thread after reading your post. Hilarious stuff :D

thuway

Happy Thanksgiving, I look forward to your musings :).

wachie

Thanks a lot for all the insight as well as for having such an understanding outlook working during the madness. You take care as well.

Amused

With the ridiculous deals going on at the moment - at Newegg, Ebay, and Fry's - who in the blue fuck is goin to buy it from Amazon?

My post was mostly about a positive trend for the PS4 the last week, and i guess the ps4 has been catching up to some extent, but to answer your question: i don't know, still, they are out there.

I'll see you all on the other side.

FEOJrxB.gif

Cole Slaw

Banned
In IGN'S defense, Mitch wrote that piece and he is on the Xbox team. IGN is not all bad, you just have to check the author and know their angle.
So you're saying we should be blaming IGN's "PlayStation team" for not being as tryhard? That Mitch gets a pass because he's just trying for his Xbox team? That IGN is just the helpless publisher? Are you really a doctor?

So you're saying we should be blaming IGN's "PlayStation team" for not being as tryhard? That Mitch gets a pass because he's just trying for his Xbox team? That IGN is just the helpless publisher? Are you really a doctor?

No, it means that IGN, or at least IGN's staff, should have the decency to think before they publish some of the stuff they're writing.

We know that IGN works on a 'individual editor' perspective, thus different writers with different opinions, different pieces on the same content, etc. And that's functionally fine.

However, when writing articles, one should not slant it to a certain kind of narrative bullshit, like comparing unit sales and unit revenue. Or how the editor-in-chief refuses to change the title of his story about TLG's cancellation even though it was refuted by President of WWS, Vice President of WWS, and VP of Third Party Development.

judging by the best sellers list on Amazon as of this moment and while its technically not Black Friday yet, Xbox One has fortified its momentum

On Demand

Banned
The top selling ps4 is slowly catching up with the top selling Xbone on the november stats at amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/2014-11/videogames

10 days ago it was X1 7th place, PS4 16th. 5 days ago X1 10th, PS4 15th. Today X1 10th, PS4 14th.

Will it come down to black friday and available stock for the NPD?

Gut feeling says MS takes it by 150.000 in the end.

To put this is perspective, when PS4 was outselling XB1 every month it was never in the top 10 or even top 20. Even on bestbuys charts XB1 was way below PS4. The fact that PS4 is keeping pace even with all these XB1 deals going on is something.

Also the GTAV bundle is still not live at Amazon or BB.

Top Bottom