• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

Smartphones might be in the hands of 3.5 billion people, but they aren't selling software to 3.5 billion people... Heck, they aren't selling software at all. Instead, mobile software is primarily being funded by the tiny minority of customers who pay into microtransactions but given out free to everyone.

Meanwhile, with a console, Microsoft gets revenue from not only microtransactions, but from software sales, DLC, and the subscription to Xbox Live. A smaller, niche userbase compared to mobile, but one willing to pay more money.

The actual percentage of what people explicitly pay for software at all on a mobile device (and it's bigger than you think, particularly when you include "ad supported" as a revenue stream and is not solely videogame related) doesn't actually matter as much as who owns the market that sells that software and the platform it is run on which is a much bigger ongoing battle, and notably one that MS is losing.

Like, I don't care how 'hardcore' the console gaming market is as a niche, the numbers involved are nowhere close to being comparable. It's really not a coincidence that basically every single manufacturer in the technology sector is both simultaneously focussing all of their R&D efforts on mobile devices and forecasting all of their growth in sectors related to mobile devices.

I'm very glad that this topic has stayed alive until the next NPD Preview thread. It really shows how excited people are for next month.

The next NPD Preview thread is going up sometime on Saturday.

So you're saying we should be blaming IGN's "PlayStation team" for not being as tryhard? That Mitch gets a pass because he's just trying for his Xbox team? That IGN is just the helpless publisher? Are you really a doctor?

Super late response, but no one is bias free. IGN as an organization does not have a Xbox, or PS4, or a Nintendo bias. Their individual members do. That will color how they report news and the language they choose to frame it. That is not inherently bad nor good, but human. If you spend enough time watching and listening to IGN you will know whose spin you trust and whose you do not. Giantbomb and even Polygon are no different. They are not "helpless" they are fucking people. And yes, I have a ABD in International Cooperation and Development studies.

mejin

I'm very glad that this topic has stayed alive until the next NPD Preview thread. It really shows how excited people are for next month.

The next NPD Preview thread is going up sometime tomorrow.

Oh, you're back, nice!

==========

Excited to see the results of BF.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Where is the PS4 on the Amazon rankings, XB1 is number 3 and the PS4 isn't even on the first page. I'm starting to think XB1 may actually win November.

Serenity

Where is the PS4 on the Amazon rankings, XB1 is number 3 and the PS4 isn't even on the first page. I'm starting to think XB1 may actually win November.

The BF bundle barely went live while the xbox one has been live for awhile now. Give it a few hours to see any changes on the charts.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
What in the world would make think PS4 would win NPD AT ALL?

Stronger brand greater mindshare and bundling withn GTA V honestly I expected XB1 to win but I wasn't expecting it to be the PS4 one Amazon currently by that ranking. The top 3 selling items for a long ass time were prepaid PSN vouchers with the PS4 itself not far behind.

The BF bundle barely went live while the xbox one has been live for awhile now. Give it a few hours to see any changes on the charts.

but this is BF season I assumed the ripples would be much faster knowing well everything else.

Pezus

Stronger brand greater mindshare and bundling withn GTA V honestly I expected XB1 to win but I wasn't expecting it to be the PS4 one Amazon currently by that ranking. The top 3 selling items for a long ass time were prepaid PSN vouchers with the PS4 itself not far behind.

but this is BF season I assumed the ripples would be much faster knowing well everything else.

Why would you expect the GTA bundle up there when it only went live literally like one hour ago? Amazon hasn't updated in a while

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
well all of them were interesting but I'm sure this particular month will be most meaningful b/c its primetime

QaaQer

Early reports are saying that Xbox One AC bundle for $329 is selling like hotcakes.

It looks like nov could be a 2:1 month for x1. No way Nintendo or Sony can compete with a company that doesn't have to make a profit. I really want to see what kind of carnage happens when they unleash some Minecraft nuclear a-bombs + more price cuts next year.

allan-bh

It looks like nov could be a 2:1 month for x1. No way Nintendo or Sony can compete with a company that doesn't have to make a profit. I really want to see what kind of carnage happens when they unleash some Minecraft nuclear a-bombs + more price cuts next year.

2:1 is difficult. PS4 is a popular console.

For those who enjoy taking a look at the Amazon rankings, I'd imagine that tomorrow and Saturday's will be the most important, as those are going to take into effect the bundles and flash deals that are going on today and tomorrow.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
$329 with $50 gift card and free games makes it easy. It's cheaper than ps3 and 360 nearly, lol.

Perhaps but people have shown all year they're willing to pay $399+ for a PS4. Factor in the whole thing of if person wants X thing then they will likely make sure they get that thing regardless of price.

Top Bottom