• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

hagege_s

Banned
It will be truly interesting to see the monthly sales update tomorrow. Just how much places has PS4 clawed back?

We won't be able to see, it's the BF Bundle who is selling right now, so the PS4 single SKU will not be affected by those sales (right ?).

Richie

Thanks cream !
We knew Bayo sold 68k right ? Are these on top of those numbers or the same to date ? Bayo breaking 100k would be ace in my book, would show legs.

Jomjom

Banned
Yes I'm happy DC sold 46k. I'm guessing many of those copies were returned as well. Evo/Sony deserved to have that game sell 0 copies.

BadWolf

"I'm happy someone failed"

Aren't there a hundred other threads for shitting on Driveclub?

Not happy with DC under-performing or anything but they did ship a broken product, that practice really shouldn't be supported. Of the same opinion with ACU and Halo collection.

Jomjom

Banned
Grimløck;140726584 said:
lol petty

Don't see how that's petty. Releasing games as broken as DC should never ever ever happen, especially for games that cost $60. When next month's NPD comes out I hope MCC is hit with lower than expected sales as well. However, at least with their latest patch, MCC is much better than it was. The online for that game is in a much better state than DC, despite being out for a less amount of time. As for AC, that game has horrible framerates, but at least you can play it still.

And remember DC has so many simultaneous issues it's just ridiculous. No weather patch still, no PS+ edition as promised (don't even want to hear anything about entitled gamers or PS+ is free or whatever else irrational people have to say) on top of the online being broken for people who paid for the game, which is the most egregious problem.

If these poor sales aren't the best possible deterrent for Sony or any other dev/pub to ensure nothing as bad as the DC debacle ever happens again, I don't know what is.

But yeah this will be my last post on this. I just posted because this was the first thread where we got to know exactly what it sold in October.

*Splinter

Not happy with DC under-performing or anything but they did ship a broken product, that practice really shouldn't be supported. Of the same opinion with ACU and Halo collection.
Oh sure I agree, it's the glee in his post that I found a little sickening though.

Anyway this isn't the place for that discussion, let's not stray off topic.

Don't see how that's petty. Releasing games as broken as DC should never ever ever happen, especially for games that cost $60. When next month's NPD comes out I hope MCC is hit with lower than expected sales as well. However, at least with their latest patch, MCC is much better than it was. The online for that game is in a much better state than DC, despite not being out for a less amount of time. As for AC, that game has horrible framerates, but at least you can play it still.

And remember DC has so many simultaneous issues it's just ridiculous. No weather patch still, no PS+ edition as promised (don't even want to hear anything about entitled gamers or PS+ is free or whatever else irrational people have to say) on top of the online being broken for people who paid for the game, which is the most egregious problem.

Lol you always see the word "However" follow some proclamation of impartiality such as you hope MCC sells lower than expected.

Jomjom

Banned
Lol you always see the word "However" follow some proclamation of impartiality such as you hope MCC sells lower than expected.

Did I say anything untrue in the sentence that contains that "however"? The mass majority of people who downloaded that patch will tell you that matchmaking has vastly improved. If that patch did nothing again like MCC's previous patches, I'd be totally happy if they sold 0 copies as well.

HORRORSHØW

The online for that game is in a much better state than DC, despite not being out for a less amount of time.

And [...] on top of the online being broken for people who paid for the game, which is the most egregious problem.

is it though? have you recently tried it? by all impressions many of the issues have been fixed, more so than MCC's.

Zophar

Don't see how that's petty. Releasing games as broken as DC should never ever ever happen, especially for games that cost $60. When next month's NPD comes out I hope MCC is hit with lower than expected sales as well. However, at least with their latest patch, MCC is much better than it was. The online for that game is in a much better state than DC, despite being out for a less amount of time. As for AC, that game has horrible framerates, but at least you can play it still.

From what I understand Driveclub is perfectly playable in single player but MCC has troubles that even disrupt the game offline. In fact it's seemed like from the beginning MCC has had far more all-encompassing launch troubles than Driveclub ever did.

Harmen

As much as an Evo fan and loyal PS buyer I am (and I really like the racing in DC itself), I do no hope the game does too well until it is fixed (well enough for people to keep their jobs, offcourse). The same goes for Unity and MCC. If all of those three do below expectations and get a lot of shit for being broken, publishers might want to think twice before releasing something that is not finished. On the long term that will be better for the sales too I think.

Jomjom

Banned
From what I understand Driveclub is perfectly playable in single player but MCC has troubles that even disrupt the game offline. In fact it's seemed like from the beginning MCC has had far more all-encompassing launch troubles than Driveclub ever did.

Sure DC single player is definitely more problem free than MCC, can't argue with that. Maybe my tone came off as me being OK with the state MCC launched in, but that wasn't my intent. What 343 did was also unacceptable. That game was obviously rushed to release to coincide with the pricedrops/holidays/BF. They deserve to sell horribly too.

My point was just that I think at least 343 has done better in addressing their problems than Evo has. Ok seriously no more derailing from me. No idea my post was going to cause so much discussion. It was simply to say that I'm glad Evo won't be rewarded with good sales for that embarrassment of a launch and the equally embarrassing response to those issues (no date or even a rough approximate of when the promised PS+ version will come is just crazy).

Conduit

Banned
It was simply to say that I'm glad Evo won't be rewarded with good sales for that embarrassment of a launch and the equally embarrassing response to those issues (no date or even a rough approximate of when the promised PS+ version will come is just crazy).

Don't worry, DC sold globally just fine.

Jomjom

Banned
Don't worry, DC sold globaly just fine.

Yeah that's unfortunate. I suspect the same will happen with MCC and Unity too. Which means we'll likely get more bug-ridden, poor performing, outright broken games with slow fixes.

Oh well at least most of my games now are purchased when games go on deep discount, and only the games that really deserve the day 1 (or more realistically week 1, since I wait on GAF's impressions of the quality) purchase get my money.

Osahi

Pyrrhic ;) although as you used it correctly I blame autocorrect.

Agree with the post generally too - I fall into the 'How much did bone win by' camp, but think unless the sales gap at least gets 66% of the way to the official price gap the win will indeed be pyrrhic.

I'm far more interested in where MS take the price after December.

More a translation error. In dutch it's Pyrrusoverwinning.

We won't be able to see, it's the BF Bundle who is selling right now, so the PS4 single SKU will not be affected by those sales (right ?).

True. But we can paint a bigger picture seeing where both bf bundles end up.

dolemite

Perhaps but people have shown all year they're willing to pay $399+ for a PS4. Factor in the whole thing of if person wants X thing then they will likely make sure they get that thing regardless of price.

That kind of strategy was behind the original PS3 and XBone designs. It didn't quite work in the end.

*Splinter

That kind of strategy was behind the original PS3 and XBone designs. It didn't quite work in the end.
I thought no one wanted the original XBone design?

Edit: In case that looks like fanboyism, I mean the XBone launch had several issues rather than just being too expensive (which I believe was the main problem the PS3 had)

Melchiah

First time i've seen that word used in probably 7 years.

Already used on page 75 by moi. ;)
Even if MS won November/December it would be a pyrrhic victory, as they've decreased the price so low, on top of offering free games with the system. Are they going to continue the practise and bleed money for the coming months as well to keep the sales up? Not to mention, that eventhough they'd win the NPD sales for a month or two, the sales in the rest of the world negate its effect.

EDIT:

If these poor sales aren't the best possible deterrent for Sony or any other dev/pub to ensure nothing as bad as the DC debacle ever happens again, I don't know what is.

But yeah this will be my last post on this. I just posted because this was the first thread where we got to know exactly what it sold in October.

The PS+ upgrade for DC cost 40€, and from what I've heard the online portion works well now, outside of challenges. I have no personal experience on the matter though, as I don't race online.

"As for AC, that game has horrible framerates, but at least you can play it still."
The single player side of DC has worked just fine from day one.

onQ123

Going by Amazon best sellers for the year & seeing Grand Theft Auto V for the PS4 at #54 already when it came out 10 days ago and not seeing the Xbox One Assassin's Creed Unity Bundle or the others in the top 100 yet makes me think that Xbox One's boost from the $50 price cut hasn't been as big as most people seem to think.I still think November is going to be a toss up that comes down to Black Friday & who had the biggest shipment.

Hammer24

Banned
Going by Amazon best sellers for the year & seeing Grand Theft Auto V for the PS4 at #54 already when it came out 10 days ago and not seeing the Xbox One Assassin's Creed Unity Bundle or the others in the top 100 yet makes me think that Xbox One's boost from the $50 price cut hasn't been as big as most people seem to think.I still think November is going to be a toss up that comes down to Black Friday & who had the biggest shipment.

Why not simply look at the month of November specifically?

Thanks, cream!

We have TEW at 385,000, so...

TEW PS4 - ~ 177,100
TEW One - ~ 103,950
TEW PS3 + 360 - ~ 103,950

And for Aliens

Aliens PS4 - < 61,500
Aliens One - < 48,000
Aliens PS3 + 360 - < 40,500

Cream's back, too? Awww yeeeeee!

Ouch regarding Isolation tho; I might pick it up eventually for 360 (I rarely use it) or whenever I get a PS4. I've only heard good things about it, but seen practically zero ads on TV. It's Alien, it should of had some tv spots.

EDIT: Also just checked Amazon a few minutes ago; that GTAV/TLOU bundle seems to be cleaning house.

PS4 don't have a bundle for december, so I wouldn't be surprised if Xbox One wins december too.

But even losing PS4 will sell well and Sony is in a comfortable position, Microsoft in other hand is playing hardball for sell Xbox One.
And you know this....how? Also FWIW, XBO doesn't have a Christmas bundle we know about, either. I mean, just the idea of thinking one system will pull ahead the other b/c you haven't heard of the existence of a bundle that most likely does exist for the other system is just......meh.

I see you like to stick to your guns but if we're being reasonable here November is still quite possibly a toss-up, and I'm still seeing it in favor of PS4. PR can't spin me.

Interesting numbers.

Evil Within sells 70 % more on PS4 than on XB1.
Alien sells 28 % more on PS4 than on XB1.
Yeah, I noticed that too. The Alien split was kinda what you'd expect given the difference in installed base; ~4M vs. ~3M, right? So why was TEW weighted so heavily for PS4? That looks more like a WW split than a US split.

PhatSaqs

Banned

Edit. Wrong as hell lol

Quazar

Yeah, I noticed that too. The Alien split was kinda what you'd expect given the difference in installed base; ~4M vs. ~3M, right? So why was TEW weighted so heavily for PS4? That looks more like a WW split than a US split.

Maybe because Xbox one players are buying different games?

onQ123

Ah, OK. I just thought your conclusion was specifically talking about how November might end up.

I am talking about November but I'm using the yearly ranking to assess the level that the Xbox One has been selling at since the $50 price cut. The PS4 Destiny bundle quickly made it's way into the yearly chart & it's at #27 now , Halo MCC (X1 ) , GTAV (PS4) Assassin's Creed Unity (PS4) , Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition (X1) all have made it in the full year chart since the $50 price drop & ACU Bundle but only the standard Xbox One is showing up in the chart at #97.

So I feel like Xbox One has been doing good since the price drop but not too over the top & Black Friday is going to move way more units than what was sold over the last few weeks with the $50 price drop & bundles.

Alien Isolation is not being played by enough people. That thing is a masterpiece of sound and visual design. And I loved the gameplay. Not without a couple flaws, but it hurts me to think that it's not getting the recognition and sales it truly deserves. Dammit.

Special C

I think it all boils down to what groups are buying consoles.

1. The "don't have a console" group. This group will be tough to call. Sony has proven that the PS4 is the more desireable console among consumers, but the cheaper Xbox One prices may sway some people that way. I think Sony takes this group by a small margin

2. The "already have a console and picking up 2nd" group. Most single console owners have a PS4, so this group will be buying Xbox Ones. A few Xbox One only people may be picking up a PS4 as well but this group isn't quite as large.

Sony will need to really sell well to group one to beat Xbox One in the next couple of months. Xbox takes group 2 simply because there are more potential buyers.

crazyprac

1. The "don't have a console" group. This group will be tough to call. Sony has proven that the PS4 is the more desireable console among consumers, but the cheaper Xbox One prices may sway some people that way. I think Sony takes this group by a small margin

2. The "already have a console and picking up 2nd" group. Most single console owners have a PS4, so this group will be buying Xbox Ones. A few Xbox One only people may be picking up a PS4 as well but this group isn't quite as large.

Sony will need to really sell well to group one to beat Xbox One in the next couple of months. Xbox takes group 2 simply because there are more potential buyers.

I don't think they will win starting the new year at all. Heck december is a toss up on who has more stock available IMO.

Bruno MB

Thanks for the data!

The Evil Within had a great opening but it will be very front-loaded, it didn't seem to have a good word of mouth. I won't be surprised if its eventual sequel sells much worse.

Poor Alien: Isolation, a little bit under 150,000 units between four versions, SEGA can't catch a break. For comparion's sake, the terrible Aliens: Colonial Marines sold 200,000 units in its first month of sales.

Regarding Lords of Fallen I laugh at those 700,000 copies shipped.

Perhaps, but Group 2 is also so small as to be nearly meaningless, I suspect.

Also, I'm not even sure your basic assumption is a given. If you already have a PS4, I'd argue the Wii U is a far superior compliment to it than an XBone; Wii U is substantially cheaper than XBone, and for a PS4 owner it offers a far more diverse game selection than an XBone would. Why by a second box just to play the same games except with worse graphics? Get a Wii and play something different, at least.

kuX5omH.png

lol

happy black friday
to gaf and shameless chartz leechers

so much fucking better than "gee whiz, where are we going" equivalent 1.11/20% tr
not gta v, much to kotick's dismay .3/.42/3.0/3.4
boring-ass, no innovation, and absurdly popular for no reason across the world +65
boring-ass, no innovation, where people run into each other for fun +47
should have been on ps4 but isn't for no goddamn reason -79/1.4
nintendo was a dumbass for not signing any exclusive deals for it -12/.26

Begaria

happy black friday

so much fucking better than "gee whiz, where are we going" equivalent 1.11/20% tr
boring-ass, no innovation, and absurdly popular for no reason across the world +65
nintendo was a dumbass for not signing any deals for it -12/.26

I don't know what any of that means, but A+ for descriptions.

manzo

happy black friday

nintendo was a dumbass for not signing any deals for it -12/.26

I only spotted Borderlands lol

EGM1966

Alien Isolation is not being played by enough people. That thing is a masterpiece of sound and visual design. And I loved the gameplay. Not without a couple flaws, but it hurts me to think that it's not getting the recognition and sales it truly deserves. Dammit.
I totally agree. Dammit indeed. Hopefully worldwide it sells ok. I got it on PS4 and PC although I wouldn't expect people to double dip just try it once.

Bad timing vs TEW though I reckon, as that title was marketed heavier and had more obvious gunplay pushed. I also feel Isolation suffered from Colonial Marines as I suspect many saw it as another SEGA Alien game and didn't know it was a whole different beast.

Still burns though as the game is a big risk taker in a market of low risk clones and I hoped would see better support than this.

Top Bottom